Code of Conduct

Default What scent smells like jazz music?

Dimly lit bars where smoke and trouble share the air. Eau des Iles. What say you?

Default Re: What scent smells like jazz music?

mmmm...Well i'm a jazz-fusion songwriter/pianist/keyboardist and i have to be honest. I never ever associated perfumes with my music whatsoever.

The fact that i have to think hard before answering your question says it all.

I just never mix the two....Sorry.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 5th April 2014 at 07:20 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Volutes... Swirls of perfumy tobacco smoke fill the air...

After Midnight - the smell reminds me of being inside a jazz club
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

What kind of jazz music? That may range from crazy avant-garde free jazz to smooth melodic piano cool jazz. I assume you refer to the second? Any masculine "warm" spicy and smoky fragrance may work... or some classics for the ladies. He wears NY by Nicolai, she wears Shalimar, enough said!
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

I think it really depends on what kind of jazz do you refer to…I'd say the range could go from Habanita / Jasmin Et Cigarette / Shalimar (for vocal jazz) to The Voice Of Reason / Cuba / Snuff (for 60s type of stuff) via Wode / Tar (for free jazz / avant-garde / electronic jazz).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

I can see several takes on "jazzy" fragrances. I will love to see Monsieur Reasonable opine on this, but until he gets here....

(1) a certain syncopation - a certain funkiness. I think that Yves Saint Laurent nailed that with Jazz. It's a fougère that has been made funky somehow - very neat. A broken fougère. It's wrong, but somehow right. I think the perfumer "got" jazz at the fundamental level.

(2) odd juxtapositions - a certain off-beat character. What We Do In Paris Is Secret and Bulgari Black have it.

(3) the jazz club thing - smoky, woody, boozy, musical. Something that smells like a bass looks in a smoky bar. Too many fragrances do this, but for women, old Dior Addict - a lot of the older designer fragrances have that vibe now.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ...(1) a certain syncopation - a certain funkiness. I think that Yves Saint Laurent nailed that with Jazz. It's a fougère that has been made funky somehow - very neat. A broken fougère. It's wrong, but somehow right. I think the perfumer "got" jazz at the fundamental level....
    YSL's discontinued Jazz Prestige. Rich unsweet tobacco infused into the already wonderful smelling fougere that is the original Jazz. I guess the name "Jazz" evokes the atmosphere as well.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    YSL's discontinued Jazz Prestige. Rich unsweet tobacco infused into the already wonderful smelling fougere that is the original Jazz. I guess the name "Jazz" evokes the atmosphere as well.
    Oooooooh!!!!!!

WANT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xerjoff Join the Club: Kind of Blue

The best jazz music is a perfect contradiction: the notes are completely unpredictable, and yet nothing feels out of place. Inspired by the legendary jazz clubs of Harlem and Chicago, Xerjoff’s Kind Of Blue does justice to the ideal of jazz with a fragrance both surprisingly powerful and enchantingly seductive.
    Like the classic Miles Davis record that shares its name, Kind Of Blue opens with a trumpet blast of spicy orange blossom, set against the steadier syncopation of soft jasmine and sweet rose. A cool silk aldehyde holds the composition together like a melody line, while an ever-developing light powder note evokes the cozy, fragrantly smoky atmosphere of bygone nights at the Blue Note or Village Vanguard. Even as it continues to soften over hours, a lingering spice note lends a tantalizingly improvisational element. We’re guessing that, as with all great jazz, it’s going to be a brand new experience the next time around.

Cuba and Havana for sure, I'm waiting to test the Voice of Reason which I ordered and could be surely in the list, I would add Bell'Antonio by Hilde Soliani, Tom Ford Noir de Noir, AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo Cuba Express, yes Habanita and In my opinion Or Black.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Xerjoff Join the Club: Kind of Blue

The best jazz music is a perfect contradiction: the notes are completely unpredictable, and yet nothing feels out of place. Inspired by the legendary jazz clubs of Harlem and Chicago, Xerjoff’s Kind Of Blue does justice to the ideal of jazz with a fragrance both surprisingly powerful and enchantingly seductive.
    Like the classic Miles Davis record that shares its name, Kind Of Blue opens with a trumpet blast of spicy orange blossom, set against the steadier syncopation of soft jasmine and sweet rose. A cool silk aldehyde holds the composition together like a melody line, while an ever-developing light powder note evokes the cozy, fragrantly smoky atmosphere of bygone nights at the Blue Note or Village Vanguard. Even as it continues to soften over hours, a lingering spice note lends a tantalizingly improvisational element. We’re guessing that, as with all great jazz, it’s going to be a brand new experience the next time around.
    To try asap, too much curious.

Profumum Fumidus--for that days old ash-tray vibe.

Blog Entries

Caron - Tabac Blond, Robert Piguet- Bandit, Parfumerie Generale- Querelle, Guerlain- Sous les Vent

Last edited by kumquat; 5th April 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Jovoy Paris Les Jeux Sont Faits reminds me of jazz clubs from the old days.

+1 on Sous Le Vent...good call, kumquat!
    Last edited by cologne connoisseur; 5th April 2014 at 09:28 PM.

Sephora just got this one in stock, never smelled it though, and don't know anything about the house...

http://www.sephora.com/replica-jazz-...?skuId=1602259

Jazz Club immortalizes the masculine and exhilarating ambiance of a Brooklyn jazz club. The balmy base scent of musk, vanilla, tonka bean, vetiver, and tobacco leaves combine to evoke a familiar but forgotten moment—a night’s sojourn to a hidden jazz club.

Close your eyes and let the fragrance transport you to the memory of sinking into a deep leather armchair. Listen for the sweet reinterpretation of classic notes and coppery tones as they float through the subdued lighting. Cocktails linger, wafting their liquor-infused scents through the maze of bar stools and the subtle strains of tobacco.

The silhouette of each REPLICA bottle is inspired by classic apothecary jars, allowing the collection to be instantly identifiable. Each bottle carries a 100% cotton label, which is printed using black ink text and resembles the tags used on the clothing and accessories for the REPLICA couture collection. The unique pumps are wrapped with a rope to symbolize the authentic reproduction of the original REPLICA couture line.

Notes:
    Pink Pepper, Primofiore Lemon, Neroli Oil, Rum Absolute, Clary Sage Oil, Java Vetiver Oil, Tobacco Leaf Absolute, Vanilla Bean, Styrax Resin.
    Style:
    Spicy. Confident. Smooth.

If you like Sonny Clark .. Sand Aoud
    If you like Fourplay (Bob James, Nathan East, et all) .. Aventus

I'm not sure if I can articulate why, but Sung Homme gives me a strong club/bar and ash tray vibe, among the green notes in there. I wouldn't say it's specific to jazz music, but the smoky bar/cigarette thing is definitely there for me.

Perhaps the oddest choice ever- Rive Gauche PH. Yes, there is no smoke (tobacco or otherwise) in this one, also not much associations with dim-lit rooms and rhythmic transitions from one syncopate tone to another- provided this may have a fragrant equivalent- in the first place.

Yet this classic, straightforward, almost shamelessly masculine bracing, barbershop-fresh scent oddly reminds me of the intellectual, the creative process behind jazz. However not any other musical genre too, just jazz. Hard to actually explain why, perhaps a certain feeling of coolness, of detached yet impeccable stylishness. All this brought together in a deceptively simple yet modernly streamlined form.

Bohemian, counter-cultural yet immensely fashionable in its apparent rejection of any predefined style. Also with unexpected depths and subtleties under its no-nonsense suaveness (again, if being no-nonsense can simultaneously be suave and also have a musical, not just fragrant equivalent to it).

Supposedly Baie Rose 26 was inspired by the smoke filled jazz clubs during 50/60's era Chicago clubs. But I really don't get that from it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Perhaps the oddest choice ever- Rive Gauche PH. Yes, there is no smoke (tobacco or otherwise) in this one, also not much associations with dim-lit rooms and rhythmic transitions from one syncopate tone to another- provided this may have a fragrant equivalent- in the first place.

Yet this classic, straightforward, almost shamelessly masculine bracing, barbershop-fresh scent oddly reminds me of the intellectual, the creative process behind jazz. However not any other musical genre too, just jazz. Hard to actually explain why, perhaps a certain feeling of coolness, of detached yet impeccable stylishness. All this brought together in a deceptively simple yet modernly streamlined form.

Bohemian, counter-cultural yet immensely fashionable in its apparent rejection of any predefined style. Also with unexpected depths and subtleties under its no-nonsense suaveness (again, if being no-nonsense can simultaneously be suave and also have a musical, not just fragrant equivalent to it).
    I think there's excellent reason to think there was a strong jazz influence on that fragrance, if not all of the early ones....

http://www.allmusic.com/album/jazz-i...9-mw0000142582

...and from the following source...

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2...nt-laurent-ysl

Yves's romantic and business partner Pierre Bergé and muse Betty Catroux, both of whom have sat front row at Slimane's shows, recognise that while the grunge may have épaté la bourgeoisie, it was consistent with Yves's principles: to question the nature of luxury, and to collide street fashion with the painstaking techniques of couture. In 1960, when 24-year-old Yves worked for Dior, he unveiled a couture collection inspired by beatniks in Saint-Germain jazz clubs, he showed that he wanted to dress his generation. For Slimane the intent is the same.
    Some other interesting parallels between the designers, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    To try asap, too much curious.
    Reduce from asap to WP (WheneverPossible).

for swap/sale:

Haha well YSL Live Jazz fits the name fine, smells damn good too

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Profumum Fumidus--for that days old ash-tray vibe.
    ^^^
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Potpourri View Post
    Dimly lit bars where smoke and trouble share the air. Eau des Iles. What say you?
    Eau des Iles is far too rugged for jazz club imagery.
    Eau des Iles is better suited to a pirates' den.

Jazz clubs are far more civilised.
    Aramis was the first fragrance that came to mind.

Bandit...

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, perhaps?

Salvador Dali Pour Homme

The smell of a smokey, sweaty double bass.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Member

Frapin Speakeasy comes to my mind...

I go with something dark and loud... so say Tom Ford Black Violet, maybe Noir de Noir, and probably actually Black Orchid. All of them to me have a certain dark purple bold velvet jacket type vibe, which is my impression of jazz.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

When in a jazz club I am drinking an old fashioned or a Manhattan, so that, along with the leather seats I propose Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, with its cherry and modern leather.

Lots of good ideas in here.

My fancy runs to Piguet's Casbah. I'm picturing a Dizzy Gillespie set. A Night in Tunisia, ladies and gentlemen.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Something spicy (for that New Orleans vibe) like Five O'Clock Au Gingembre.

Ummmm...YSL Jazz and Light Jazz?

I also found this advertisement for New Haarlem. According to the Bond9 website, "Northbound with the A-train to cabaret-jazz club-central… a scent so brazen it was barely captured in a bottle. Molten liquefied swank with androgynous appeal, to wear after midnight, in — and on — hot-spots."

new-haarlem_illustration.jpg