DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default S.O.T.D. Saturday, April 5, 2014

Good Morning Basenoters!

Penhaligon's Endymion this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. Saturday, April 5, 2014

P A T C H O U L I
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: S.O.T.D. Saturday, April 5, 2014

Mmm! It smells gorgeous in here already!

Anne Pliska extrait for me.

Have a lovely day, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

G'day all !. Erin, congrats on losing your Iris Silver Mist virginity - glad it lived up to expectations .

Just off to place a bet - what else would I be wearing on Grand National day ?.

Wish me luck .....

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

Here's hoping that Mike, RHM and Quarry are feeling better today!

Wearing Byredo Flowerhead this morning. Notes are angelica seed, cranberries, Sicilian lemon, jasmine sambac, green accord, tuberose, rose petals, suede and ambergris.

Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 5th April 2014 at 01:28 PM.

Iím picturing a group of perfumnistas wearing caftans with bandaged pinkies clutching a bag liquorice at the next BN met up. Sending gentle hugs and virtual chicken soup to all the ailing bodies.

inneespenes enjoy your weekend off and enjoy La Boheme Maybe you can grab a coffee afterwards with the colleague?

Saminlondon your Mitsouko nerdiness is completely understandable and rather endearing.

Cestrum Iíll have to pack my Yum Cha pants (extra roomy) for Monterey Park because I can never say no to just one more dumpling, mmmm, nom nom.

ExtremeK if you have good recipe for hair o' the dog I would be eternally grateful, coffee is not cutting it. I have to smell overripe oranges and dead bodies, you know how I feel about UFdC. I loved Grover and then he got usurped by Statler and Waldorf so hilariously snarky.

ClaireV we are shameless enablers, so with that said let me just say vintage Shalimar is divine and offer my solution to the CdR and Bdő situation. Keep the kids and threaten to sell them for perfume if they donít behave, put CdR and Bdő on your birthday/anniversary/Christmas/Motherís Day wish list and have the children buy them for you. A very neat win/win solution.

Jon Iíll do enough cavorting for us both. The Oyster Bay Merlot is such good drinking at the moment, the Hawkes Bay area is producing some very good reds. Good luck! ISM virginity

Out again in tux, ice pick stilettos and Tabac Blond parfum tonight. Have lovely weekend everyone.
    Last edited by Xscent; 5th April 2014 at 03:44 PM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Hello all. 31 Rue Cambon.
    DONNA

Hello all, enjoy your weekend!
    vintage

Good morning!

Jon, hehehe! I am looking forward to wearing it more - that bourbon opening is bizarre, and it wears similarly to Infusion d'Iris to me. And wishing you lots & lots of luck today!

Lovely morning here: having my coffee in the yard and job searching, and wearing a sample of Oriza L. Legrand Chypre Mousse - yum yum yum! I'm having trouble coming up with a description for this one, so I will leave you with the notes and tell you to go read some reviews instead of flailing around myself for apt words, although the general feeling is of walking through a damp forest on a cool morning and having bright rays of sun pierce your eyes when it shines in between the trees just right. Notes: mint, clary sage, fennel, green shoots, oakmoss, galbanum, angelica, fern, wild clover, mastic, violet leaves, vetiver, pine, mushroom, roasted chestnut, leather, labdanum, and balms.

Will be wearing Iris Prima later for the Final Four game between my alma mater Kentucky & Wisconsin. Go CATS!
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Rouge Cardinal by Herve Gambs

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hello all,

This morning I ran a few errands in

Royal Bain de Caron,

now I'm in

Tabac Blond

And the saga continues in the soap "As the BN World Turns"......

Quarry continues in her Nyquil induced coma, occasionally lifting her head to make comments, but won't share her Nyquil
    Mike, who shares the dreaded cold/flu, is left to sweat it out on his own, and since he can't keep his hand out of the liquorice bag these days, smells of sweaty, musky liquorice most of the time...Eau de Liquorice (he may attempt to patent this at some point in the future)
    ClaireV continues to contemplate selling her children for perfume, and now has multiple options suggested to her. We shall see what she decides in future episodes...
    Jon has forsaken cavorting, but has instead turned to gambling. Hopefully he will not lose his house, because it holds all of his perfume. Maybe he will just lose a little money and won't be able to purchase a new perfume for a month or two - a valuable lesson.
    Erin has turned to cavorting around, this time with the seductive ISM, and in the process has lost her ISM virginity. But she seemed to enjoy it, so all is well...
    XScent is on some sort of 72 hour RAVE/bender party, occasionally pausing the music and flowing wine to pop in "As the BN World Turns" and give her jealous fellow characters fashion and perfume updates....we shall see how long the party continues in future episodes
    cello, the Chanel "dope" pusher character, pretends to be the boring one, just sitting back watching and waiting to pounce on her next victim. Today she watches the goings on - spraying a little more Chanel on every now and then - the bottle says Coromandel it appears.

Oh, what an exciting show we have here folks!!!!!
    Last edited by cello; 5th April 2014 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post

P A T C H O U L I

+1 - I am joining Roberto today.
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 5th April 2014 at 03:24 PM.

Good afternoon all I've finally deciced on my sotd. I will be wearing Cuir de russie ( vintage) at La boheme glad to have that decided.... And now I'm just nervous. Have a great day all

ErinK, I *adore* that photo. [Cue contented sigh.] Any idea where it was taken?

Have fun tonight, ineespenes -- you'll smell amazing!

I don't care if it's early, I'm giving cello post of the day award. She and ErinK will have to duke it out for post of the week.

We are kid-less this weekend, so we slept in until 8:30, followed by coffee in bed, a light breakfast, a little bit of laundry, and now reading. Sort of the opposite of Xscent's 72-hour RAVE/bender

Temps are to be in the high 50s today; spring is definitely pushing its way in.

More hugs to Quarry, RHM, and Mike -- I'm not even going to keep my distance out of self-preservation.

Btw, [in which ExtremeK self-indulgently if momentarily hi-jacks the SotD thread], I'm planting just my trees this year to give them a head-start: a sugar maple (Fall Fiesta), 3 tartarian maples (Hot Wings), a male Kentucky Coffeetree (Espresso), and a multi-stem Katsuratree. And that's just the front and side yards All but the Katsuratree (of course) are native, but the spring/summer/fall climate here is enough like that of SE Asia that as long we plant in the front and let the house shelter it from the north winter wind, we'll be fine. SOSOSOSOSO EXCITED! I hope Quarry approves of the species diversity!

[in which we now return to our regularly-scheduled SotD thread] I'm house-twinned with Kiliwia in Byredo Pulp.

Basenotes Institution

RHM - I totally forgot about that caftan thread you started from 2011 until I re-read it. So great. Especially the part about rearranging our fragrance bottles. Raise a glass of NyQuil! And yes, isn't it funny how even when your nose is clogged from congestion you can clearly smell aldehydic fragrances...last night I sprayed on some Chant de Aromes by Guerlain and I could smell it clear as day. Aldehydes!!
    ExtremeK - I saw the Beaker video yesterday. My favorite is that one where he replicates himself with the copy machine & all of the Beakers run havoc, lol. Your "mimosa + dead bodies" description yesterday cracked me up when I read it
    Xscent - ice pick stilletos, eh? Perhaps you could take a picture of them, with your perfume bottles and cashmeres? Enjoy! You smell fantastic!
    cello - LMAO...hilarious!
    ineespenes - nothing to be nervous about - knock 'em dead! Remember to have FUN!

I feel MUCH better today, not as cough-y (although when I cough, I sound like I have scurvy or something - people stop and stare) and I can definitely breathe better. It's amazing what a good nights sleep can do.

Woke up & went to meet a bunch of friends in a cloud of:

Declaration Eau Genereuse by Cartier

The first 'cologne' version of Declaration helmed by the man himself, JC Ellena. I only have a tiny bit of this left in the bottle. The secret special ingredient in this one is the very natural, cooling mint note (it actually cools my skin when I spray it on). A fantastic contrast to the cumin/citrus/woody base.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Greta Garbo in "Camille" 1936

Annick Goutal-
    Eau de Camille
    A crisp green floral and a
    first-time compliment from my
    ​husband! His favorite so far!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Jon has forsaken cavorting, but has instead turned to gambling. Hopefully he will not lose his house, because it holds all of his perfume. Maybe he will just lose a little money and won't be able to purchase a new perfume for a month or two - a valuable lesson.
    Actually, he didn't lose a thing !. Horse came second - £25 profit

I only gamble once a year so indulge me a little.

SotE - Rive Gauche PH.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 5th April 2014 at 04:35 PM.

Popping in super quickly to say hello. I'm home from Georgia and already I miss my little Mr. Pants.

I'm back to sampling Iris this morning so I'm sniffing several spots bearing Iris Silver Mist, Iris Pallida and V&A Bois D'Iris. So far, iSM is the clear winner.

Hope to catch up with everyone later.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Good afternoon to all. Glad you are feeling better, Mike. Which leaves only RHM and Quarry for my "feel better" wishes.

I am loving my sample of MPG Santal Noble.

Jon, who could not indulge you just a little? Certainly not moi!

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St.Barts

Eva Kant.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Cello, you got that right -- 30ml Nyquil -- Icky, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck. Taken 15 minutes ago, waiting for it to kick in. Can't smell anything today.

Will write more later when I'm off the couch, off the Kindle, off the Nyquil.

Yes, ExtremeK. Kentucky Coffee Tree, very big deal.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

queen of the universe

Xscent, you sound intimidatingly gorgeous in your getup.

cello, thanks for the recap; you are basenote's answer to TiVo.

About to nap in Antilope. At the start this Weil classic seems a bit ordinary, even insipid, but the drydown which goes on for hours is a fave. I call it "lotiony", with sandalwood, a touch of civet, and I don't remember what else contributing. Less skanky than My Sin's, but quite similar, like a younger, sweeter sister.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

MFK Amyris Homme

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    RHM - I totally forgot about that caftan thread you started from 2011 until I re-read it. So great. Especially the part about rearranging our fragrance bottles. Raise a glass of NyQuil! And yes, isn't it funny how even when your nose is clogged from congestion you can clearly smell aldehydic fragrances...last night I sprayed on some Chant de Aromes by Guerlain and I could smell it clear as day. Aldehydes!!

I feel MUCH better today, not as cough-y (although when I cough, I sound like I have scurvy or something - people stop and stare) and I can definitely breathe better. It's amazing what a good nights sleep can do.
    It must be all the good vibes, or the Beaker video or the caftan because I feel better today too! Still coughing but not nearly as often.

My sinus are opening up, so I'm able to smell more notes. As perfect as #22 was yesterday, L'Artisan Eau de Jatamansi is today.

It's sunny and I have a front yard full of daffodils. I love yellow flowers, so cheery!

RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Evening all, posting very late today as the thread hadn't started before l left for work, & l haven't stopped since l got home.

Cello; you cracked me up with that post! Congrats on your "post of the day" award.

Glad to hear the poorly ones are improving, keep it up folks.

Kiliwia; how are you finding that new Byredo? Are the fruity notes very noticeable in it? lf so, l'll give it a miss.

l wore Flower Market today, & as we're back to damp weather, it's still projecting twelve hours later.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

Sicky hugs to Quarry, feeling better hugs to RHM & bear hugs to all the rest of you crazy licorice-eating, caftan wearing Basenoters!

I have BIG BIG EXCITING news to share, but I am going to start my own thread about it, probably tomorrow. I actually did a little happy dance in my den just a few minutes ago. No lie.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm decanting some samples for a BN sweetie so I have a whole bunch of stuff all over me...Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior (that rose/biscuit note is fascinating!)...Vetiver...L'Ambre de Carthage by Isabey...Vol de Nuit...Vikt...OMG...my nose is fatigued now.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

You found some ambergris and are going to sell it? You have some mysore sandalwood oil from India?.

Sampling Prada d'Iris again.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Emporio Armani He

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Kiliwia; how are you finding that new Byredo? Are the fruity notes very noticeable in it? lf so, l'll give it a miss.
    This was the first time I've tried it and I didn't get much fruit from Flowerhead, the tuberose was the most dominant note. Didn't really notice the rose very much either. I liked it more than I thought I would. Still prefer La Tulipe, but not by very much.

Trying out Aerin Lauder Evening Rose tonight.

Have a good evening!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 6th April 2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Because the size of my post keeps changing.

Oh, my… these past few days on SOTD have been so entertaining! Between Kumquat’s photo of the luxurious comfort (matching!) caftans can offer, Mike’s exclamation of “Licorice + caftans for everyone,” RHM’s semi-utopian caftan community, and Cello’s hilarious soapy spin recap today, BN really needs a “Best Of” section somewhere to save these gems.

ExtremeK, I am totally envious of your trees—they will be so beautiful!!!! I don’t have any space for trees unless I cut others down. ~10,000 measly sqft is considered a double lot here, and then so much is wasted on the set backs... My consolation prize for having a puny lot is a small, newly planted flower bed primarily in sunset colors with purple and dark blue accents plus lots of variegated foliage. I have a rose bed planned and a narrow border too, but still...

SOTD was Vent Vert, and SOTE will very likely be Coco again, which I enjoyed so much last night.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Quick halftime pop-in. In Iris Prima, which I've worn for the past 2 (or 3) Kentucky wins. Need to reapply for the 2nd half - we're trailing 40-36.

cello, so cute! Post of day definitely goes to you! Cavorting with ISM was quite enjoyable indeed and there will be much more in future episodes.

ExtremeK, that photo was apparently taken in Russia.

Mike, can't wait to hear your news! I did a bunch of decanting this morning, too. Spilled quite a bit on my kitchen table, which was fine, because I refinished my table tonight and it is turning out great.

Good job on the place, Jon! Nice pick!

OK, back to basketball. If we win tonight (I mean, WHEN we win tonight) I may have to go out and do some real life cavorting, if I can only stay awake... *yawn.*
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

cestrum, I'm a tree-hugger in every sense of the word. I used to live on 3.5 acres in a development only 20 minutes from my office, and I had planted 40-50 trees before I left, some fairly large, some just tiny little twigs from the Arbor Day Foundation. I haven't really been back since September 2012 to see how they're developing. Too hard. Your flower garden sounds *lovely*; variegated species are always so pretty with the darker colors. Do you have iris? When we do the rest of our front yard next year (shrubs, perennials, bulbs), it will be a true riot of color

RHM, I love daffodils, too! Glad you enjoyed Beaker.

I am (finally) sampling Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, and I *really* like it. The vetiver and pepper dominate the opening, but there's an amazing bone-dry cedar underlying the whole thing that I keep trying to catch a whiff of. Very calming and grounding fragrance for me.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Finishing the day in Dior Jules
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

happy is the bleu heart<3

Our internet is fixed! Yay! Repairmen called out to repair out next-door neighbor's internet/cable box broke ours while "fixing" theirs. <sigh>

I'm sounding a bit like a broken record ... I wearing Daim Blond again. Xscent, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've been enjoying mine!

Erin, congratulations on the UK win ... must have been the Iris Prima re-spritz at halftime that turned the game around.

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I vote that Cello should supply the recap regularly! Awesome job!

Caftans, that brings back memories. My mother used to live in them.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge