Code of Conduct

Default A whole new experience

So I am seven days without smoking. Wow, what a difference this whole fragrance "hobby" is now. I have received many more compliments this week than normal. I'm assuming that's because I don't smell like cigarettes. I've also been able to smell myself for much longer. Again I believe that's because I'm not smoking. I use to spray Aentus around 5 o'clock and by that time I went to bed I couldn't smell it. Now, I wake up smelling it. They say it takes three days from the day you quit for your sense of smell and taste to return to normal. . I don't how true that is but I can tell you, I already smell much much more when it comes to my fragrances. Sincerely, a non-smoker

Default Re: A whole new experience

That's awesome - congrats!

Congrats! Keep it up

It can be an uphill battle, and quitting can bring weird anxieties and challenges of its own, but it's totally worth it. Best of luck!

Agreed, I realized the second and third day I had a really tough time with anxiety. A great help was why quit.com it really walks you through day to do and what to expect. The physical dependency is gone, it's metal for me now. I'm not naive enough to say this is over it I feel good about it and think it's behind me for good. Thanks for the kind words! I'm just excited to get the most out of my frag'sz. Believe it or not, it was the selling point to me quitting.

Awesome!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Sorry for the typo's. I am using a new phone..

I quit a couple of years ago and had the same experience as you re my sense of smell. It's a very difficult thing to do but it does get easier after the first several weeks.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you

Well done!

On another note, my wife has encouraged me to take the $6 a day I spent on cigarettes and put it into my safe to use toward "smelling good" as she says. $180 a month on Frag's will be lethal. In all seriousness, I will probably buy a few more and take it from there..

Basenotes Plus

Great incentive - congrats & good luck!

I just recently quit in December after 12 years of smoking. I don't miss it at all. The biggest lie the Tobacco industry ever told was that quitting was hard. Quitting cigarettes is NOTHING compared to quitting a real hard drug addiction like crack or heroin (I've never been addicted to those things but have heard absolute horror stories about it). Quitting cigarettes is not difficult. It's a marketing campaign lie that gets into your head. The truth of the matter is that the effects of quitting, ie the physical withdrawal symptoms when quitting cigarettes lasts a maximum of two weeks, and all it is is a slightly increased irritability and a dull, almost "hungry" feeling. The more "hunger" you experience, it means your body is getting rid of the last of the addiction and the addiction itself is hitting you with everything it has, so it can stay alive. Starve it and it will die. That is a fact my friend. By week 3 you may have dreams (nightmares) of slipping back into smoking, by week 4 even those dreams will cease and you'll be able to go to bed without even a thought of it. By week 6 you will golden.

Just remember that your problem is the marketing, the lie. Nicotine is just a drug, and the addiction itself is child's play compared to real addiction.

I also recommend you get Alan Carr's book "The easy quit method" I think it's called. Read that from front to back and even the thought of a cigarette will repulse you.

You don't need luck. Just stop believing a lie.

Wonderful news. Congratulations!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Great job. Your future will be one of better health and greater enjoyment of frags.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Congratulations. That is the absolutely best thing you could have done for yourself and your family. Keep up the good work. I have been smoke free for over fifteen years now....I will hand the soapbox over to you. I was tired of standing on it. Nice job.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Great job! Wish I could quit sugar...or at least cut back. Cologne and sugar, my biggest vices.

Just remind yourself you can never smoke a cigarette and be prepared for the fight of your life. Only 4% of smokers ever really quit. That number is absolutely mind blowing and tells you how evil cigarettes are. Exercise helps a ton.

Sent from Richard's Ipad

Congrats! I certainly can't speak on quitting smoking, but I can see how that would help, Good luck!

Congrats on not smoking for 7 days, hopefully you can give it up. I was in your shoes too, as many of us were, it's hard as hell.. that's another topic all together.

But, damn.. what a difference it makes indeed. Not only for you, but for others around you. You don't smell like you're trying to use a fragrance just to mask the smell of cigarettes on you.. people who really hate it won't think, or even tell you that you smell like sh!t. Then there's the improvements to your own nose.. not just in fragrance but in smelling in general. You think a week is good, just wait a month or 2, you'll be able to detect so much more in fragrances, every note, and every accord. If I had never quit.. I would never be where I am today as far as my collection goes, and my whole outlook on this hobby.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Basenotes Plus

Congrats!!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Sounds like a win-win. Congrats!
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

that is wonderful news! congratulations! I've been smoke free for 22 years myself and I can tell you I've been amazed at the difference that I had no idea about. Keep up the good work and enjoy life afresh!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Congrats for your achievement! Hardly ever smoked regularly myself and living completely non-smoking right now- if not for better reasons, at least so it does not interfere with my fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by BarRoomHeroes View Post
    So I am seven days without smoking. Wow, what a difference this whole fragrance "hobby" is now. I have received many more compliments this week than normal. I'm assuming that's because I don't smell like cigarettes. I've also been able to smell myself for much longer. Again I believe that's because I'm not smoking. I use to spray Aentus around 5 o'clock and by that time I went to bed I couldn't smell it. Now, I wake up smelling it. They say it takes three days from the day you quit for your sense of smell and taste to return to normal. . I don't how true that is but I can tell you, I already smell much much more when it comes to my fragrances. Sincerely, a non-smoker
    As someone who quit after 6yrs of heavy smoking, I urge you to keep those "urges" that'll keep coming from time to time at bay - that is the key (second is peers smoking).

Congratulations! I like the idea of redirecting your money towards fragrance. What a great reward!

Just imagine all the great scents you potentially missed out on when you were smoking....You have a lot of catching up to do ! Congrats on your achievement and Happy Smelling !
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

I was once a smoker. My mom used to buy me Bvlgari BLV for me. I think it smells okay. but when I switched to E-Cig, I could smell every notes more clearly, I realize it smells terrible to me...

So I start going to department store, try to find something smells good for me. Get YSL L'Homme Libre, smelled Jubilation XXV, bought it weeks later, get into more niche, etc.

And now I'm here, Can't stop exploring. Stuck in this highly addictive hobby.

Love it!
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

Congrats. Keep up the good work.

I appreciate all the kind words and encouragement. I was telling my wife this morning how cool it is to feel the support from a community I belong to, even though I have never met anyone. Thanks again everyone. I have read these posts several times to get me through a few "rough" patches.

Quote Originally Posted by BarRoomHeroes View Post
    I appreciate all the kind words and encouragement. I was telling my wife this morning how cool it is to feel the support from a community I belong to, even though I have never met anyone. Thanks again everyone. I have read these posts several times to get me through a few "rough" patches.
    Let's all meet

Congratulations!

I was a long time smoker also - got into fragrances shortly after I quit. I sure didn't save any money - this hobby is far more expensive than smoking was, but it's certainly a bit healthier (I hope)!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird