Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 55 of 55
  1. #31

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Best: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Flexball
    Worse Gillette Fusion

  2. #32

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo fandango View Post
    Best: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Flexball
    Worse Gillette Fusion
    I've used both and the Flexball doesn't make that much difference.

  3. #33
    Super Member RichMan'sOldSpice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Best: Gillette Fusion Proglide Power
    Worst: Bic (don't know the model)
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

  4. #34

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo fandango View Post
    Best: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Flexball
    Worse Gillette Fusion
    Quote Originally Posted by CMan0928 View Post
    I've used both and the Flexball doesn't make that much difference.
    I actually find a lot of difference in using the flexball - much smoother shave for one...No cuts / nicks even if I rush thru a shave...

  5. #35
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    12,246

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo fandango View Post
    Best: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Flexball
    Worse Gillette Fusion
    Strange how we differ. I have Fusion and Proglide (but not the Flexball) and have always been fonder of the original Fusion. But I use it with very good creams and brush soap. When I use those creams and soaps with ProGlide, I find things overly gooey. On the other hand, if I was using canned lather, I'd probably like the ProGlide more.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  6. #36
    Super Member artlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Buckingham (not the palace), bucks
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    I used the Gillette sensor 3 blade system for about 20 years, never had any issues.

    About 2 years ago I switched to the Wilkinson Sword quattro 4 blade. I buy the titanium blades.

    They are very good. Each blade lasts about 2 weeks but I do not shave every day, maybe every 36 hours, 4 times each week.

    Worst?? Bic probably or Aldi / Lidl.
    Currently residing in Blighty but biding my time when I shall return to my island of dreams.

  7. #37

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Will definitely have to give Proglide a try, thus many thanks for the suggestion to everyone who mentioned this. Already owning the regular Proglide that just sits in one of the cabinets around the house, still in its original packaging, simply for not having brought myself to try it, while also considering to get the Flexball version.

  8. #38
    Dry_Martini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Spaniard Dean
    Posts
    1,929

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    best: wilkinson
    bad: Schick
    TOP 5: Xerjoff Fiero,Nebula II O&Co, Gendarme EDP, Opus 1144,Mark Birley Men

  9. #39

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Best: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Flexball (I don't have to make weird looks on my face for a close shave. And a blade lasts a month.)

    Worst: Bic Hybrid Advance 3. (Didn't shave at all... right out of the package. Had to do Disney World without shaving... Walt wouldn't be proud.)

    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Loyal Basenoter since 2004. And getting ready for the next big step in my longtime hobby: bringing niche to my neck of the woods... Xscentrik is coming soon.

    Follow our progress on Basenotes and here: Facebook Twitter

  10. #40
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    12,246

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by artlin View Post
    I used the Gillette sensor 3 blade system for about 20 years, never had any issues.

    About 2 years ago I switched to the Wilkinson Sword quattro 4 blade. I buy the titanium blades.

    They are very good. Each blade lasts about 2 weeks but I do not shave every day, maybe every 36 hours, 4 times each week.

    Worst?? Bic probably or Aldi / Lidl.
    I've tried Quattro, thought it was good, but preferred Schick Extreme. I got good results from the Aldi's Prince 5 blade and 3 blade ones two.
    Regards,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Best: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Flexball (I don't have to make weird looks on my face for a close shave. And a blade lasts a month.)

    Worst: Bic Hybrid Advance 3. (Didn't shave at all... right out of the package. Had to do Disney World without shaving... Walt wouldn't be proud.)

    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    That is curious. I have only tried Bid Hybrid Advance 3 once, but thought it was pretty good compared to their single and two blade ones which I didn't like.
    Regards,
    Renato

  11. #41

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    I'd put another voice toward Proglide.
    Best cartridge I had - and I know all top-level ones. Very polite and forgiving blade.
    No cuts, no nicks, you can shave fast, w/o considering every move.
    Currently wearing: Kenzo Homme Sport by Kenzo

  12. #42

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Just finished my first shave with the Proglide Flexball and thought to post the impressions here. Quite possibly the best (and also among the fastest, as well as mild but still thorough) wet shaving experiences so far, better suited to my skin than both all the previous cartridge razors used (including previous models by the same brand) and DE, even more surprising considering that my skin is both quite oily and extremely sensitive, while the growth both abundant and raspy-thus making any shave additionally difficult.

  13. #43
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    12,246

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Just finished my first shave with the Proglide Flexball and thought to post the impressions here. Quite possibly the best (and also among the fastest, as well as mild but still thorough) wet shaving experiences so far, better suited to my skin than both all the previous cartridge razors used (including previous models by the same brand) and DE, even more surprising considering that my skin is both quite oily and extremely sensitive, while the growth both abundant and raspy-thus making any shave additionally difficult.
    Interesting thanks.

    I still Haven't come across a Flexball Proglide unit yet, or I would have bought it, if for no other reason than to compare it to my current favourite.
    Regards,
    Renato

  14. #44

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Different skins, skin oils, hair density. No one razor will suit everyone. I use both the CIEN 2 and 5 blade razors and love 'em.
    BIC disposable rips me up. The best razor I ever had was the Gillette single bladeTechmatic. But I see no sense in spending a fortune on this when the CIEN range is so affordable.

  15. #45
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    12,246

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by woosehater View Post
    Different skins, skin oils, hair density. No one razor will suit everyone. I use both the CIEN 2 and 5 blade razors and love 'em.
    BIC disposable rips me up. The best razor I ever had was the Gillette single bladeTechmatic. But I see no sense in spending a fortune on this when the CIEN range is so affordable.
    Yes, those BIC disposables are nasty on me too. I don't know the CIEN ones you refer to.
    Renato

  16. #46
    Super Member CollectorCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    283

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Best experience: Gillette Fusion Proglide - is the flexball really that necessary?

    Worst experience: Bic Disposable Single Blade - try not to nick yourself

    I've been experimenting a bit more with disposables recently. Conclusions thus far: you get what you pay for.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme Wild by Joop!

  17. #47
    Basenotes Plus
    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    1,030

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Best experience
    Edwin Jagger DE razor

    Worst
    Dorco

  18. #48
    Basenotes Junkie Roky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Heilbronn
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    My standard shaving tools are:
    Some older Gilette adjustable DE with a heavy handle & Feathers or Derbys.

    But this Fusion Pro Glide Flexball is very good, I have to confess. I don't like this fancy stuff - but it works just fine. The difference to a DE or Straight is there, especially when I'm in a hurry. But I will not use those super expensive and environmentally unfriendly mega-plastic cartridges regularly. This is something for certain days of wetshaving without those 'sensual' qualities.

    The worst razor I have is the black platic Wilkinson DE, though I like its Kind of space-age look. The worst cartridge is my two-bladed Sensor. But I found it quite good when I once started shaving with it.

    In fact I can find something I like with all my razors (I own about a dozen and five Straights)
    Currently wearing: Kiku by Fabergé

  19. #49
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    12,246

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Best experience
    Edwin Jagger DE razor

    Worst
    Dorco
    I really like Jagger DE AND I like Dorco blades which most people seem to hate, like you do.

    cheers,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    My standard shaving tools are:
    Some older Gilette adjustable DE with a heavy handle & Feathers or Derbys.

    But this Fusion Pro Glide Flexball is very good, I have to confess. I don't like this fancy stuff - but it works just fine. The difference to a DE or Straight is there, especially when I'm in a hurry. But I will not use those super expensive and environmentally unfriendly mega-plastic cartridges regularly. This is something for certain days of wetshaving without those 'sensual' qualities.

    The worst razor I have is the black platic Wilkinson DE, though I like its Kind of space-age look. The worst cartridge is my two-bladed Sensor. But I found it quite good when I once started shaving with it.

    In fact I can find something I like with all my razors (I own about a dozen and five Straights)
    Yes, those plastic DE razors are very poor.

    Two blade Sensor is too sharp on the first shave, and isn't cutting enough by the seventh.I normally get more shaves out of a cartridge than that (I always clean cartridge with Razorpit after each shave).
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 29th June 2016 at 09:21 PM.

  20. #50

    Default What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    You guys should give Harry's a shot. Their cartridges give a good shave and cost much less than the Gillette's and Schick's of the world. Though they're not as cheap as DE blades.

    www.harrys.com


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #51

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Edwin Jagger DE Safety Razor with Personna Platinum blade
    LOST! in scent and music

  22. #52
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    12,246

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    I tried the 3-blade Flex Bic disposable yesterday for the first time.
    I am pleased to report that I got a good shave and only a slight nick instead of the half dozen or so serious nicks I get from using their single blade disposables, which I have criticised numerous times here and at other forums.

    I must say though, I am still very fond of Schick Extreme 3 blade disposables - I used them solely while I was on my month long USA vacation.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th July 2016 at 06:54 PM.

  23. #53
    Super Member CollectorCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    283

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    With disposable razors, it seems they use an inferior blade steel. These tend to dull quickly. I do not get much use out of them and the shaving process is not pleasant and more of a chore. I will say that the Gillette 2 blades disposables that pivot were adequate - they get a pass. Based on recommendations I will give some higher quality disposables a try, such as the Gillette Sensor3, Gillette Mach3, and Schick Xtreme3.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme Wild by Joop!

  24. #54

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Hi,I would like to share my experience with using razors. I usually prefer the brand Gillette. But sometimes I have the problem with the razor bumps. I don't know if the problem is with the razor or I just have such a sensitive skin but I began looking for the information about how to get rid of this unpleasant problem and foudn out that there is a solution https://ambrossimo.com/get-rid-of-razor-bumps/. Now I know that it is called Pseudofolliculitis Barbae.

    Now I would like to share some experience and the recommendations that I have checked on me after reading the article. First of all, it is recommended to use high-quality oil on your hair and skin before applying the shaving cream as oil can act as a perfect moisturizer for softening your skin. This will be helpful for making the removal of the hair easier and without skin irritations. Choose the shaving cream of good quality as it is as much important as the brand of the razor and even more. Then you should be able to stop friction in order to avoid getting an irritation. The next step will be an applying the shaving cream to your skin for a short period of time maybe for a couple of minutes and apply it to the affected areas. The longer you leave it on, the softer it will be.The main rule which is really true about shaving is: when you shave, you should never shave against the grain but with it. When I started keeping my skin relaxed without stretching it. Stretching may result in bouncing the hair back into the follicle or back into your skin and in its turn cause the razor bumps. I dont think the brand of the razor matters much in this case but I would like to recommend only safe razors which have some gel inside and several blades which are placed in the best possible way.
    The same situation my husband has who always changes the razors and at least he bought the electic razor which is the most convenient for cutting men's beard. He really likes it.

  25. #55
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    12,246

    Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by karinochka View Post
    Hi,I would like to share my experience with using razors. I usually prefer the brand Gillette. But sometimes I have the problem with the razor bumps. I don't know if the problem is with the razor or I just have such a sensitive skin but I began looking for the information about how to get rid of this unpleasant problem and foudn out that there is a solution https://ambrossimo.com/get-rid-of-razor-bumps/. Now I know that it is called Pseudofolliculitis Barbae.

    Now I would like to share some experience and the recommendations that I have checked on me after reading the article. First of all, it is recommended to use high-quality oil on your hair and skin before applying the shaving cream as oil can act as a perfect moisturizer for softening your skin. This will be helpful for making the removal of the hair easier and without skin irritations. Choose the shaving cream of good quality as it is as much important as the brand of the razor and even more. Then you should be able to stop friction in order to avoid getting an irritation. The next step will be an applying the shaving cream to your skin for a short period of time maybe for a couple of minutes and apply it to the affected areas. The longer you leave it on, the softer it will be.The main rule which is really true about shaving is: when you shave, you should never shave against the grain but with it. When I started keeping my skin relaxed without stretching it. Stretching may result in bouncing the hair back into the follicle or back into your skin and in its turn cause the razor bumps. I dont think the brand of the razor matters much in this case but I would like to recommend only safe razors which have some gel inside and several blades which are placed in the best possible way.
    The same situation my husband has who always changes the razors and at least he bought the electic razor which is the most convenient for cutting men's beard. He really likes it.
    Thanks.
    Some thoughts on your comments.

    1. Using oil before applying cream. I have a thread on this forum regarding doing the same thing using olive oil and Art Of Shaving Pre-Shave oil. What I found was that on me, the oil made lousy shave creams work much better (less nicks). But using the oils made really good creams seem like the lousy creams with the oil - that is, the performance of the good creams was reduced.

    2. Razor bumps - I get them from using very sharp razors (DE or cartridge) when they are new, or when I continuously use one relatively sharp razor, or when I use a lousy cream or gel. I don'[t get them much when I rotate razors between the sharp and the fairly well used ones approaching their end of life. When I get bumps I switch to less sharp razors or go electric for a few days till they clear up.

    3. Shaving against the grain is something I don't do, but plenty of others seem to do it without issue. Best avoided though for me, though I don't mind the occasional across the grain.

    4. You advise against stretching skin, but I really don't see how one can get a close shave on the face without stretching some parts.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; Today at 08:11 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. My Top 5 Worst of the Worst Fragrances
    By Attila in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 8th May 2015, 01:34 AM
  2. 1st DE Razor
    By Nosebud in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 1st April 2013, 08:03 PM
  3. The worst of the worst: Projection / Longevity
    By Serjery in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 28th July 2012, 11:30 PM
  4. Worst fragrance and worst bottle design of 2011 goes to ????
    By Nersh in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 5th January 2012, 09:53 PM
  5. Has Anyone ever Switch to Cartridge from a DE?
    By blah114 in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 26th February 2009, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000