Code of Conduct

Default What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

Well, I have a collection of 20 or so current cartridge razors, and of 10 or so two blade cartridge razors from the past, which I use in between using DE (especially when travelling).

I like all the main brand 3, 4 or 5 blade cartridge razors (Gillette, Schick, King of Shaves) as well as various house brand ones. I am not fond of two blade cartridge razors.
    However, slowly but surely, I've found the one I gravitate to and like the most is the 3 blade Schick Extreme, be it as a disposable or as a regular razor.

The razors I cannot stand are single and two blade disposables, with the exception of the Persona 2 blade one. They always leave me suffering, but the Bic single blade disposable one is undoubtedly the worst on me.

Do you have a Best and a Worst cartridge razor?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th April 2014 at 02:24 AM.

Default Re: What's Your Best Cartridge Razor? And Your Worst?

So far, Gillette Fusion (if this could qualify as a cartridge razor) was the best for me.

The worst- quite a few, the majority of which too mediocre to be remembered even negatively, simply because they did not yield the same results (in terms of both thoroughness and mildness) as Fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    So far, Gillette Fusion (if this could qualify as a cartridge razor) was the best for me.

The worst- quite a few, the majority of which too mediocre to be remembered even negatively, simply because they did not yield the same results (in terms of both thoroughness and mildness) as Fusion.
    I think it definitely qualifies - Fusion is my second best/favourite cartridge razor.
    Regards,
    Renato

I also use the Schick Extreme 3 blade razor. For me it's the best if the disposable razors and the best value for money.

I can really use any quality 3 or more bladed razor but the Schick one seems to be the smoothest on my skin.

Best - Fusion Power from Gillette is my favorites - no razor burn & I used to suffer in the past (maybe I developed thick skin now?)...

Worst was something I tried from Schick - it was like I came out of a torture chamber - chin was bloody...

Nowadays I first apply some oil (the one with least smell is the one I borrow off my niece & nephew - their Johnson & Johnson baby oil); after 15 mins I cover my face in a damp hot cloth for 10 mins before lathering to shave.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    I also use the Schick Extreme 3 blade razor. For me it's the best if the disposable razors and the best value for money.

I can really use any quality 3 or more bladed razor but the Schick one seems to be the smoothest on my skin.
    We share the same skin type?
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Best - Fusion Power from Gillette is my favorites - no razor burn & I used to suffer in the past (maybe I developed thick skin now?)...

Worst was something I tried from Schick - it was like I came out of a torture chamber - chin was bloody...

Nowadays I first apply some oil (the one with least smell is the one I borrow off my niece & nephew - their Johnson & Johnson baby oil); after 15 mins I cover my face in a damp hot cloth for 10 mins before lathering to shave.
    That's a lot of perparation that you are doing there. While Fusion didn't work well with canned lather on me, I've always found it excellent with the good quality shaving soaps (e.g. Crabtree & Evelyn, Trumpers etc) and good quality shaving creams. i just splash my face with hot water and apply them and shave. Though with the best quality creams which are very slick, Fusion Pro Glide and Schick Hydro's extra lubrication made things too slick and I wasn't getting a close shave.

Applying oil as you do - pretty much any pre-shave oil, including olive oil from the kitchen - makes shaving more comfortable when using sub average shave creams and canned lather. On the down side, I've found they lower the performance of the top quality creams.
    Regards,
    Renato

Gillette Fusion Proglide for me as my best. As for worst Personna Triflexxx
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Schick Hydro 3. Never looked back after trying it. Works really well with Proraso green cream or Speick cream.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Gillette Fusion Proglide for me as my best. As for worst Personna Triflexxx
    Persona isn't a big brand down here, so I haven't tried your worst.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Schick Hydro 3. Never looked back after trying it. Works really well with Proraso green cream or Speick cream.
    I haven't had any problem with Schick Hydro 3 either.
    However, Schick Hydro 5 was going well for me too, until inexplicably when I was going out one night, the same cartridge gave me lots of razor burn - but didn't it do so the next time I used it. I am now wary of it.
    Regards,
    Renato

Best: Gillette Fusion ProGlide. Really close shave, minimal irritation, and 1 blade lasts 4 weeks.

Worst: Meijer store-brand 5-blade (also sold under other brands such as CVS, 800razors.com, and Kroger). The blades only last about a week and a half, you get 3 o'clock shadow, and you get irritation. Not worth penny-pinching.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    2) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    3) Back to Black - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Best: KAI II (discontinued now) and KAI Twin Razor Disposable (Sold at Daiso in Melbourne)

Worst - BiC single blade and BiC Metal

dfranz

Apparently I'm the minority here, but normally I only use cartridge razors when traveling. And:

Favorite - Bic Metal or Bic Sensitive. I'm used to DE safety razor shaving and these single blade cartridges allow me a similar experience when traveling.

Worst - probably everything else. I've never been able to use any sort of multi blade without some sort of skin irritation.

You guys need to come over to the dark side and use a safety razor. Much better shave, cheaper and an overall better experience shaving!
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Best: KAI II (discontinued now) and KAI Twin Razor Disposable (Sold at Daiso in Melbourne)

Worst - BiC single blade and BiC Metal
    I've never heard of KAI II or of Daiso - and I live in Melbourne!
    I'll keep a look out for it.

I sometimes wonder if Australian BIC single blade cartridge is worse than elsewhere in the world, because other people around the world seem to like those slicers.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dfranz View Post
    Apparently I'm the minority here, but normally I only use cartridge razors when traveling. And:

Favorite - Bic Metal or Bic Sensitive. I'm used to DE safety razor shaving and these single blade cartridges allow me a similar experience when traveling.

Worst - probably everything else. I've never been able to use any sort of multi blade without some sort of skin irritation.
    Amazing our differences - the DE blade i hate the most is Astra SP, but I consider it ultra mild compared to Bic single blade disposables.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybumpkin View Post
    You guys need to come over to the dark side and use a safety razor. Much better shave, cheaper and an overall better experience shaving!
    It's hard to compare apples with oranges.
    I get a better closer shave with cartridge, in comparison to my usual one and a half passes with DE - but that's not a valid comparison because i should be comparing to three or four passes with DE (which I never do).

Certainly though, after three or four days of any cartridge when using it frequently overseas, i have to give myself a rest and go to DE for a few days.

That said, be it one and a half passes with DE or one pass with cartridge, the result in terms of when I have to shave again is always better than from my electric razors. I still use electric for touch ups or for healing when I've mangled my skin testing out a new blade or cream.
    Regards,
    Renato

Mach 3 is still my go to cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've never heard of KAI II or of Daiso - and I live in Melbourne!
    I'll keep a look out for it.

Regards,
    Renato
    Renato, Try Daiso on Flinders St. next to CBA ATMs on the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth.
    Cheers,
    Alex

Renato, Try Daiso on Flinders St. next to CBA ATMs on the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth.
    Cheers,
    Alex
    Thanks Alex,
    I may be able to get there in a few months - I only go into the CBD a few times a year nowadays.
    Regards,
    Renato

Alex was kind enough to supply me with some KAI 11 disposable razors. It was with some trepidation that I used one, as it looked much like the single and double blade disposables that usually leave my face suffering for days.

Much to my surprise, Alex's experience with KAI 11 was the same on my face - I've had several shaves without any aggravation or nicks.
    Regards,
    Renato

Best: Mach 3

Worst: I made a huge mistake and bought one made by Cien from Lidl because it was cheap. Well, you certainly do get what you pay for, I felt like I was scraping a rusty butter-knife down my face and ended up cut to pieces.

It didn't so much cut the hair but pulled them out! the snag and drag was awful. Avoid these at all costs!
    Last edited by Q. R. Crumm; 22nd October 2014 at 11:29 AM.
    "I have to return some videotapes"

Best: I have 2 that I really like...
    Schick Hydro5 and Gillette Fusion Pro Glide with 5 Blades...

Quote Originally Posted by Q. R. Crumm View Post
    Best: Mach 3

Worst: I made a huge mistake and bought one made by Cien from Lidl because it was cheap. Well, you certainly do get what you pay for, I felt like I was scraping a rusty butter-knife down my face and ended up cut to pieces.

It didn't so much cut the hair but pulled them out! the snag and drag was awful. Avoid these at all costs!
    Hmmm - I bought a twin blade cartridge razor from Lidl last year, but haven't actually got around to trying it yet.
    Now I'm wondering if I should.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Best: I have 2 that I really like...
    Schick Hydro5 and Gillette Fusion Pro Glide with 5 Blades...
    I initially thought these two were pretty much the same - they worked very well with everything except very slick creams like Trumpers.

But one night I was going out to a birthday party event and used my Schick Hydro5 cartridge that I'd used three or four times (and cleaned with my Razor Pit), and I got a close shave, but wound up red raw all around my throat - which took a few days to heal up. I haven't used it since.

I've only used my Fusion Pro-Glide a few times, so I can't compare, but my regular Fusion cartridge I've now used about 30 times (with RazorPit cleaning ) and it has never given me the problem Schick Hydro 5 gave me.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th November 2014 at 03:48 AM.

Gillette- the one with 3 blades is the one I prefer and am most comfortable with.

Didn't have a good experience with Schick.

Yeah, same here. I have never had any good experience with Schick for some reason.
    Out of the mass produced the best that worked for me was Gillette GII or Sensor Excel.

Yeah, same here. I have never had any good experience with Schick for some reason.
    Out of the mass produced the best that worked for me was Gillette GII or Sensor Excel.
    There was lots of praise for Sensor Excel at Badger & Blade as being among the best of the cartridge razors.
    So i bought one and got so many nicks in my first shave that I haven't dared go back to it for a second go.

It was nowhere near as gentle as the Kai 11.
    Regards,
    Renato

Best: Bic 1 Sensitive
    Worst: Any ludicrously expensive gimmick with replacements that are so expensive they are kept in security boxes

I do still have a few Gillette monstrosities, with several cartridges for each system, from the days before I discovered safety and straight razor shaving. They do the job for travel purposes but I prefer the shave from a Bic single-blade disposable: a closer shave with less irritation.

Gillette fusion hands down. 5blades and the little one on the back for hitting the sideburns area and that spot under the nose.
    I'm not very hairy and what I do have is rather fine and sparse on my mug, so I can go a LONG time with the same cartridge, which offsets the cost of replacements. I can do nearly a year with a five pack of blades.

The accompanying lotion is also highly recommend and inexpensive.