Code of Conduct

Default Comme Des Garcons - SERPENTINE - A New Fragrance

Comme des Garçons is launching their new unisex eau de toilette in collaboration with Serpentine Galleries. The new fragrance, entitled « Serpentine » draws its inspiration from the best fresh, green notes found in the natural beauty of London’s Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Christian Astuguevieille, creative director of Comme des Garçons Parfums says of the collaboration, “The Serpentine asked me to create a perfume that would be rooted in their geographical location in the middle of one of biggest parks in the middle of one of the biggest cities of the world. We worked on the concept of ‘Green and City’ ». In true Comme des Garçons style, the concept is far from one dimensional – the fragrance also plays on the juxtaposition of scent notes of the city itself; making this perfume « London specific ».

Serpentine Galleries asked Tracey Emin to conceive the perfume’s bottle and packaging. The drawings adorning the packaging are inspired from a sculpture she bought representing a loving embrace with the words « The grass, The Trees, The Lake And You » appearing on the bottle.

The fragrance will be available exclusively at the Serpentine Galleries, Dover Street Market London & New York, and Comme des Garçons Perfume Shop on April 28th, and will be launched worldwide on May 5th in all good fragrance retail locations.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Default Re: Comme Des Garcons - SERPENTINE - A New Fragrance

Always exciting to try a CDG release.

Ah, green and the city... looking forward to it!
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Niiiiice! Love CdG. Thanks for the info Alfarom. I know you're a big fan too despite some of your discontent with a few of their more recent releases. Even their not so good stuff I like. Look forward to trying it! Please pass along any info on the nose if it comes your way.

Thanks for the info

Sounds interesting, however, I wish they would sell this at LuckyScent or another online retailer rather than exclusively at brick and mortar stores.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

I think it will be sold at Luckyscent as well. Anyway, Dover Street Market is not exactly a brick and mortar shop...

Blog Entries

Interested.

Had no clue they were selling online now! Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I think it will be sold at Luckyscent as well. Anyway, Dover Street Market is not exactly a brick and mortar shop...
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Sounds fascinating.

Now, where'd I put my wallet (sigh).

Tracy Emin involved? It ain't gonna be cheap (well moneywise)

I wish CDG would bring back Mark Buxton -- those were the days

Basenotes Plus

Thought it's going to be a play on 'serpentine'. Green notes & London? Hope they don't end up too 'pedestrian'.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds great
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Anyone smell this in London yesterday?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Now available at Premiere Avenue: http://www.shopping-premiereavenue.c...roduct.fr.html
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

there's a raving review on Mark Behnke's Colognoisseur….

http://colognoisseur.com/new-perfume...e-des-garcons/

I think I want to skip straight to the 'city part' of musk, nutmeg and smoky cedar. Galbanum and Iris up top -- not so keen.

Liberty didn't have any samples last week

Basenotes Institution

Sounds fantastic. I hope the 'city' notes aren't too strong.

-- Eckhart Tolle

A few thoughts on Serpentine…no need to say I immediately had to pull the trigger on a full bottle…

Chromatic scale Serpentine evoked: White / Fluo Green / Silver / Black / Pale Pink / Dark Grey

Some random impressions. Boatloads of aldehydes, *gunpowdery* spices, musks, incense, woods, iris-y notes.

It evokes brand new spaces as opposed to brand new objects. Big warehouses. Concrete, wet white paint, linoleum, immaculate walls, industrial lighting, cars, subways, ads...

To all of the above, add a smooth powderyness probably linked to some orris-related accord which provides a subtle perfumey vibe necesseary to preserve the fragrance from becoming a mere exercise in style.

Absolutely wearable, novel and modern...which I guess are all adjectives to describe CDG.

Once more, this artistic direction doesn't let me down and, when it comes to modernism, CDG is confirmed to not fear any rival. A big winner.

Aaah! Sounds terrific! First thing in the afternoon tomorrow, I'll go check it where to smell a tester in town... Thanks alfarom!
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Thanks for the info Alfarom.

Sounds even more promising.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Looking forward to smelling this one - a decant is on it's way to me as we speak

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Wearing it today - I love it! Cuddly green synthetic. Fans of Calmus, Bel Respiro and/or Odeur 53 will love this. Report more later.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Bel Respiro.
    Oh thanks! I've been thinking about something that vaguely reminded me of Serpentine and I finally realized what it was. Bel Respiro remixed by Autechre.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Oh thanks! I've been thinking about something that vaguely reminded me of Serpentine and I finally realized what it was. Bel Respiro remixed by Autechre.
    LOL Great description.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tested this today from Dover Street Market in London. It's very agreeable, and I will likely end up getting a bottle. For me it's not green in a galbanum or vetiver sense, but comes across as almost soapy. Certainly fresh and woodsy in a "green wood" way. To me it's not as synthetic as the two Odeurs, or as obviously avant garde as some of CdG's releases, and I never got the asphalt or pollution accords, but in all it's distinctive and amiable. Should be great for warmer weather.

There's something so addictive about it. Subliminally addictive, I would say...

Also, nice call-out to Autechre, alfarom. I feel the aesthetic of those two boys matches the CdG approach for sure!

Wearing it today - I love it! Cuddly green synthetic. Fans of Calmus, Bel Respiro and/or Odeur 53 will love this. Report more later.
    I wore Serpentine yesterday and definitely has that unmistakeable CdG feel. And an apt comparison with Odeur 53 and Calamus. That's exactly how I'd describe it. (Haven't tried Bel Respiro)

If you guys are interested, here's my full report on both Serpentine and Wisteria Hysteria…

http://neroprofumo.blogspot.it/2014/...-wisteria.html

Great reviews, thanks alfarom!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I have a sampled on the way thanks to our beloved MikeP luring me into yet another CDG! He turned my on to Hinoki, which I'm grateful and this simply sounds like a winner. I can totally understand what he would mean he stated that its everything he wished amazingreen would be. I can picture this in my mind and can't wait for it to get in next week!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Hey Mike! I wonder if Babalu has this one in stock already, it sounds like something I would dig....I usually like most CdG stuff!
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Institution

Look forward to hearing what you think about it Scentologist

stargarden, I haven't been over to Babalu in a while, I would think it's probably @ BASE before it shows up at Babalu, since BASE always has the 'newest' CdG's.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ahhhhh, dreams shattered. I'll continue to test this. I has hoping for a bit darker and more prominent green, but alas this light light, airy, and very faint on the green. I get cedar with a supporting act from benzoin and guiac wood. I wonder if this contributes to the plastic vibe as others have mentioned, is present. So in a nutshell, it is a synthetic plastic note that encapsulates the cedar. I'm not sure I could wear this, but will test another time.

Basenotes Plus

Reading all these reviews it sounds like SERPENTINE turned out to be more industrial, synthetic, plastic-y fragrance, than what it was described as before the launch:

"Serpentine draws its inspiration from the best fresh, green notes found in the natural beauty of London’s Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Christian Astuguevieille, creative director of Comme des Garçons Parfums says of the collaboration, “The Serpentine asked me to create a perfume that would be rooted in their geographical location in the middle of one of biggest parks in the middle of one of the biggest cities of the world. We worked on the concept of ‘Green and City’"

The descriptions from all of you above are far from the official CdG inspiration. Did it completely miss(represent) the mark? I'm not hearing anything about "the best fresh, green notes", "natural beauty of London's Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens", etc. It sounds more like synthetic, concrete, industrial wasteland - more like downtown LA, than Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens. What gives...?

Alfarom's own review: "It evokes brand new spaces as opposed to brand new objects. Big warehouses. Concrete, wet white paint, linoleum, immaculate walls, industrial lighting, cars, subways, ads... " In other words... nothing fresh and green.

Remik, thats an astute observation. Its not a horrible fragrance, but at the price point its offered, I was expecting something more representative of the description with time, attention, and quality thoroughly respected. For me, the fragrance doesn't parallel the official campaign. So, I was a bit shocked upon first sampling. There are other cedar fragrances I like more. There is that tinge of green musky freshness, but almost nonexistent. Anyone else have similar opinions? Should I approach this differently?

*Airy* is a good description for Serpentine and that's why I agree with Mike's parallel with Chanel's Bel Respiro. Personally I don't find it as heavy on the cedarwood as others say. At least not as heavy as several other CDGs can get on this note. I also get a blast of hyper-clean aldehydes that for several aspects reminded me of a twisted version of Estee Lauder's infamous White Linen. The *industrial / urban* part is a facet that shows up in many CDGs but here is represented in a different way. It supports the concept of an art gallery (hence the immaculate walls parallel) as opposed to the city smog / blocks of concrete of, say, CDG's own TAR. In this context, this is anything but downtown LA. More like an open space which is clean and aseptic than crowded and messy. The *green part* is provided both by green notes and the overall springy / summery vibe. It's not a literal / natural green but more like a chromatic nuance. Personally, I find Serpentine completely nailed as it perfectly conjure functionality and artistry without falling in *exercise-in-style* territories. A tremendous example of minimalism applied to fragrance if you ask me.
    Last edited by alfarom; 5th June 2014 at 09:18 AM.

I can totally agree with the clean, open space imagery. I suppose it does celebrate minimalism. I think many would find this a summer joy to wear, but I still find this hard to purchase ($95/50ml). I like this one, but for a clean musk/aldehyde type of freshness, I still prefer Estee Lauder's Pleasures.

Anywhere in Canada that stocks this? Luckyscent seems to be my only option I guess.

Basenotes Institution

It is slowly becoming my new go-to 'green' scent. It's nice to be greeted with a green scent that shoves leaves and twigs right under your nose but that is also edgy and slightly weird. I've never smelled a green scent like that. It's also pleasing in hot weather. The aldehydes sort of smell 'cool'. Like conifer-flavored club soda water, if such a thing existed.

-- Eckhart Tolle

It is slowly becoming my new go-to 'green' scent. It's nice to be greeted with a green scent that shoves leaves and twigs right under your nose but that is also edgy and slightly weird. I've never smelled a green scent like that. It's also pleasing in hot weather. The aldehydes sort of smell 'cool'. Like conifer-flavored club soda water, if such a thing existed.
    sounds interesting; must try!

Basenotes Plus

I have to revisit this one. I haven't properly worn it since I got it, but it reminded me of walking to Bishops Park on a misty August morning when I was staying in London some years back. It's very green with a hint of urbanity.

Sound Scents

I am wearing this one as I write this. To me it is indeed very fresh and airy/ozonic foremost with a very nicely done mild cedarwood base. The composition smells considerably synthetic up top in particular (as one might expect from CdG), but in this case that was the obvious intent and it completely works. I find Serpentine extremely easy to wear, and very well-done. It is not particularly avant-garde like some in the line, but that won't stop me from buying it...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Basenotes Institution

I agree drseid. I'm not sure if the obvious front-loaded synthetic top notes are simply better blended or if my nose has all of a sudden gotten used to these types of notes in CdG scents. Maybe a bit of both.

It's clearly easier to wear than say...Tar or Skai.

-- Eckhart Tolle

A bitter green to me, and I dont get any of the grit of the city nor airy qualities at all. Between this abd Odeur 53 I prefer the latter.

A note for U.K. members - if you wish to avoid a £12 shipping charge (and who wouldn't?) it's better to purchase from DSM than Serpentine
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php