Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio Essenza

23 52.27%
  • Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur

21 47.73%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fragrance Battle of the Day (4/6/14): AdG Essenza vs Musc Ravageur

Really irrelevant and completely different scents, each has its own position in any collection....
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Low levels of consciousness is all I see. But that's what most people come here for anymore. The place has gotten pretty cheap. But it was headed that way a long time ago. Occasionally amusing, Whatever.
    Last edited by pluran; 7th April 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Agree. Not sure why people keep complaining about the fact that they are often very different scents.

Really simple: Which do you like more? Why do they have to be similar? Don't we all have a list of favorites? I can tell you I like X more than Y - regardless of how similar they are.

They might as well put "Wear what you like" on the home page and shut off the rest of the site.
    THIS!! Couldn't have put it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Without context, these polls of random scents with nothing in common are useless.
    It s useful to OP. And that serves the purpose of him starting the thread. Like he said, if anyone feels his 'preference' polls are too frivolous, then they can always stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Sprad View Post
    No harm in these polls. It is a very simple matter to not open them or partake if one takes exception to their premise or concept, and one per day does not cause any sort of forum disruption or irritation.

It simply is not that big of a deal - live and let live, as they say. Let the man gather his results.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Anyway, this is clearly getting contentious. Let's give these polls a rest for a couple of days so the mods and Dani can figure out what to do.
    That didn't happen.

This site is database driven, so a post and each of its comments is a unique piece of content. In other words, this poll isn't one search result comparing Musc Rav to ADGE. It's over 60 results when searching for either fragrance.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    That didn't happen.

This site is database driven, so a post and each of its comments is a unique piece of content. In other words, this poll isn't one search result comparing Musc Rav to ADGE. It's over 60 results when searching for either fragrance.
    I now understand the problem you have with this. However (just asking - I didn't check - I don't use the search function on this site), isn't there the same issue whenever anyone asks "going to college, which should I buy: A, B, or C?", or "going to a wedding, should I wear A, B, or C - or buy something new?" They seem to be essentially the same to me - are they handled via search differently somehow?

In other words, isn't there the same core problem with almost all [non-intellectual] threads started here?
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Creating polls to determine the relative popularity of various fragrances is fine in theory. The problem with these specific polls is that the OP is often choosing such extremely lopsided pairings that the winner is painfully obvious before the "battle" even begins.

All of which begs the question: what's the point of creating a poll if one already knows the answer?
    "Fuel For Life v. Dior Homme" and "Curve v. GIT" being to very notable examples that felt like a complete waste of time.

This thread and "Pure Malt vs Rose 31" are two recent exceptions to the above and the fairly balanced poll results prove that. I suspect most of us who are feeling increasingly annoyed with these daily "battles" would feel less so if the polls compared fragrances that are more evenly matched on the popularity scale. I know I would.
    Last edited by caferacer; 7th April 2014 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I now understand the problem you have with this. However (just asking - I didn't check - I don't use the search function on this site), isn't there the same issue whenever anyone asks "going to college, which should I buy: A, B, or C?", or "going to a wedding, should I wear A, B, or C - or buy something new?" They seem to be essentially the same to me - are they handled via search differently somehow?

In other words, isn't there the same core problem with almost all [non-intellectual] threads started here?
    No.

Note the examples you just gave and you'll see that you added a reason for each. Which is better for college. Which is better for a wedding. That context creates discussion. Let's use this thread as a perfect example of why this poll is spam. Let's say someone came to the forum and asked "Which should I buy? Musc Rav or ADGE?" Or "Which is better?" How would members react? They'd ask questions and teach, because it would be instantly obvious the member was a beginner. Those discussions are usually filled with info on how different the scents are, where one is better than the other and why. All of that comes up in a search, and it's useful. Or, at the least, it isn't a total waste.

I'm not suggesting all posts need to be useful, but day after day after day of spam polls with the guarantee of more to come, again and again just clogging up searches with uselessness. And yet, we tell people to do a search instead of creating new posts with questions that have been beaten to death already.

We want people to do a search... while also endorsing the clogging up of search results with spam so members can't find what they're looking for.

It'd be different if there were context to these polls. Which scent is better for ____? But these polls have no context. There's no reason why the two were paired, and many of the pairings are intentionally ridiculous. It was funny for a few days. It's spam. And the spam is piling up.

As a programmer, I would say there should be a flag that could be set (either by the thread starter or the admins) to keep that thread (or all "poll" threads?) out of the indexing / full-text queries, etc. However, that is probably a bit out of the Basenotes comfort zone - if you know what I mean.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Exactly. Or add the ability to create polls that don't allow comments. Then, a spam poll just becomes one search result.

I just used the advanced search using musc ravageur....
    The few poll threads are easily ignored.

I find these threads silly, but have been just ignoring them.

That said, at the point where these threads become obviously divisive among the members, generating little interesting discussion, and looking more and more like just a self-indulgent exercise for the author (who plain and simple does not care about the impact to the rest of the group) ... I think the moderators are justified in re-thinking policy

F m m r ✔️
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

both are average, but i'll go with musc ravageur because it's more unique and interesting. essenza is probably more wearable but it is derivative.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I just used the advanced search using musc ravageur....
    The few poll threads are easily ignored.
    It depends on how you want to search. If you just search thread titles, it's easily ignored, and the results shown require more searching since tons of threads are presented, even if Musc Rav is only mentioned once in a 20 page thread. Search by posts and you're shown more useful info, but you also get tons of this poll spam.

Basenotes Plus

All OP has to do from here on out is make a hot link to some type of custom polling he can create and say, "Here's round one, 32 matchups, please vote and I will post the results and make a second round at the beginning of next week." This reduces the thread count from 63 completely different threads (32+16+8+4+2+1) to only six threads! There is absolutely no reason why we need 63 threads for this NCAA style matchup of fragrances.

I remember a Basenotes member has already done this type of contest before but he did exactly what I stated above and the contest went well.

They are so vastly different from each other its not fair to compare them.