Code of Conduct

Default Anything similar to Zagorsk? Even better?

Just realized that i love the smell of CdG series 3 Incense ZAGORSK. Had a small vial and now tried it second time, and it was like WOW... Don't know why the 1st time didn't do this.

Dry, coniferous, austere, peaceful, melancholic. Just love it. But....before i go an buy a whole bottle,
    I was wondering if there's something that's close to Zagorsk, maybe even better?

(i know and have Avignon, but don't like it as much as Zagorsk.)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Default Re: Anything similar to Zagorsk? Even better?

You may really enjoy Armani Prive- Bois D'Encens.

Thanks for the suggestion. Read reviews about it and yes, it sounds promising. I must order a sample.
    (Marcel Rochas)

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 09:05 PM.

I think that CdG's Incense series quite stands apart... there's plenty of incenses on the market, but to me really a few have that evocative, contemporary, concrete-like "cold" architectural feel, somewhere between incense and green-pungent balsamic notes (or peppery in some case - I'm referring to the whole series). I's really kind of unique to me, so I'd say: stick with it I think Tauer's Incense Extreme shares a similar drydown after some hours, but it is obviously different before.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG| Vero Kern, Boadicea, Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, M7, Capucci, Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    I think that CdG's Incense series quite stands apart... there's plenty of incenses on the market, but to me really a few have that evocative, contemporary, concrete-like "cold" architectural feel, somewhere between incense and green-pungent balsamic notes (or peppery in some case - I'm referring to the whole series). I's really kind of unique to me, so I'd say: stick with it I think Tauer's Incense Extreme shares a similar drydown after some hours, but it is obviously different before.
    It was especially that dry and cold austere coniferous incensy feel in Zagorsk that i fell in love...

Plus, @ OPomone, thanks for the suggestion!
    (Marcel Rochas)

Franck Boclet Incense
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Because this one smells more sappy / coniferous to me, I'd say SSS's Incense Pure might be worth a sniff. It's at least three times as strong though, so watch out!

I love Zagorsk.
    It might be the most evocative fragrance I own.
    As other reviews have said, it really does conjure up images of an old wooden church in the middle of a snowy Russian forest at night surrounded by pine trees.

It's unique. I have never smelled anything quite like it.
    Just buy a bottle. You know you want to.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Zagorsk is great, and I haven't found anything like it. As the others have said, it's that whiff of cold air that makes it special. And also, other incense fragrances are usually sweet, or sweetened up, but not Zagorsk and that makes it stand apart.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I love Zagorsk.
    It might be the most evocative fragrance I own.
    As other reviews have said, it really does conjure up images of an old wooden church in the middle of a snowy Russian forest at night surrounded by pine trees.

It's unique. I have never smelled anything quite like it.
    Just buy a bottle. You know you want to.
    Did already. Couldn't resist.. Now i'm not sure if there's still money left for food, lol.
    Thanks all for your suggestions i really appreciate them. Will try them all in time.
    (Marcel Rochas)

Lutens Fille en Auguilles comes close in smell while being a little easier to live with by addition of a drop of candied fruit amid the pine needles.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Lutens Fille en Auguilles comes close in smell while being a little easier to live with by addition of a drop of candied fruit amid the pine needles.
    That's fun, I honestly find them quite much different - too much to be even compared!
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG| Vero Kern, Boadicea, Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, M7, Capucci, Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    That's fun, I honestly find them quite much different - too much to be even compared!
    Ditto
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

This would be my suggestion as well. They're different obviously...but Incense Pure is sappy somewhat piney and vegital. It's almost like you're sniffing the thick fluids as they pour slowly from the Boswellia Sacra tree with Incense Pure. Very potent stuff as deadidol points out, a spray or two lasts all day.

I love and own both for different reasons and find they both fit perfectly in my wardrobe with no overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Because this one smells more sappy / coniferous to me, I'd say SSS's Incense Pure might be worth a sniff. It's at least three times as strong though, so watch out!

Basenotes Plus

Great purchase! I haven't found anything close to Zagorsk either. But I agree with Deadidol, SSS Incense Pure is a good one to try. Or if you're considering something less dry but no less refreshing, try Acqua Santa /Holy Water by La Via del Profumo.

Basenotes Plus

I love the CdG incense series, and if one of them has caught your nose, it's best to just buy it or it will haunt you.

I have Kyoto, have a little Avignon, and really like Jaisalmer and Zagorsk, will eventually buy full bottles of those two.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Maybe La Via del Profumo Hindu Kush.

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    I love the CdG incense series, and if one of them has caught your nose, it's best to just buy it or it will haunt you.

I have Kyoto, have a little Avignon, and really like Jaisalmer and Zagorsk, will eventually buy full bottles of those two.
    Ditto! I don't own any full bottles (yet) and only have a sample of Avignon, but I've tested all of them. They are on my "to buy" list. Has anyone tried the actual incense sticks? I saw them on Luckyscent, and if my kids didn't have allergies, I would have picked them up immediately.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Ditto! I don't own any full bottles (yet) and only have a sample of Avignon, but I've tested all of them. They are on my "to buy" list. Has anyone tried the actual incense sticks? I saw them on Luckyscent, and if my kids didn't have allergies, I would have picked them up immediately.
    I have not tried the sticks, but am very tempted to as well, since I love the fragrances and do burn incense at my apartment pretty frequently. Damnit, more $$$$ to spend on fragrances. God help me if I start buying $40 candles
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    I have not tried the sticks, but am very tempted to as well, since I love the fragrances and do burn incense at my apartment pretty frequently. Damnit, more $$$$ to spend on fragrances. God help me if I start buying $40 candles
    It's a slippery slope for sure!