Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe

Default Indecision: when you don't know what you want

Most mornings I wake up and seem to know before my eyes are fully open what I want to wear that day. Sometimes not. I'll end up sniffing the open bottle if a splash, or the cap if a spray (hint: when I get a new scent in an atomizer bottle, I spray a little of a frag inside the cap which is a good enough approximation for future reference). I usually find something within three sniffs, never more than five, but I'm less happy than when I just bounce awake knowing. Maybe this is my hint to do without for a few days?

Does this ever happen to you?
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Re: Indecision: when you don't know what you want

Like you, usually I know exactly what I want to wear but occasionally I am uninspired or indecisive. On those days, I either use the Pick Me Something Random to Wear button in Wardrobe or I scroll through Scent of the Day and wear the first one I see that I own. For me, random choices can be a good experience so, no, I am not less happy on those days.
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 6th April 2014 at 03:28 PM.

queen of the universe

I found today's scent by going to the less visible portion of my collection. Aphrodisia it is (:

Usually I have to rush out in the morning, so not much time to think. It's a combination of the weather and whatever I see first in the genre when I open a couple of drawers. Often, I also put scented strips in the pockets of my suit, so that helps when I see more than one that seems to fit the day.

cacio

I also use "Pick me something to wear" or I have a bag of samples next to the sink and I will reach in and blindly pull out one, so between those two options I always come up with a scent. Sometimes the uncertainty of not knowing what the scent will be is kind of exciting--

Blog Entries

Sometimes l know what l want & even plan the day before, sometimes l don't. l never use a random selection method as invariably l'd end up with something that completely clashes with my mood or with the weather, & then l'd certainly be less than happy. l don't often have much time to think either, so l have a few "go to" perfumes that l know l can rely on when l'm feeling indecisive.

l don't think it's a sign that you need to go without. We all have days when we can't decide what clothes to wear; doesn't mean you need to go without clothes. Maybe you just need something new!?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Even if it happens, indecision does not last too long in my case. Before I know it and still am on the fence about what exactly to wear, one of the fragrances is becomes convincing enough for me to be chosen as SOTD (the ultimate and most efficient arguments being usually appropriateness, availability, lightness, ease of accessorizing, weather and/or respective season etc.).

queen of the universe

teardrop,

mos' def not something new! Too much choice makes for worse indecision in my case. As it happens, today's strategy—rearranging my shelf so some stuff that was hiding out back is more visible—did the trick. Aphrodisia was just what I needed. I usually try three different genres when undecided, say, chypre, aldehyde, and oriental.

cacio, I must have about 10 minis or decants in my purse. I do refresh throughout the day.

Most of the time I apply my perfume after I return home from work so I have all day to think about it. Sometimes I just go without which doesn't really bother me. My collection is small though, so it's not a matter of too many choices. Usually I just don't feel like wearing anything on my perfume free days.

That happens to me too, I just sniff the bottles and go with the first one that seems pleasant or tolerable.

I don't have a system, but when I am unsure, I tend to just look in the drawer and pull out whatever pulls at me from the visual.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Even if it happens, indecision does not last too long in my case. Before I know it and still am on the fence about what exactly to wear, one of the fragrances is becomes convincing enough for me to be chosen as SOTD (the ultimate and most efficient arguments being usually appropriateness, availability, lightness, ease of accessorizing, weather and/or respective season etc.).
    Whoah! You accessorize your perfumes?
    I agree with the availability! It is THE most important criterion for me.

Many times I will know the night before, or sometimes I literally wake up knowing what I will apply that day. But I usually have some sort of backup plan that includes "no brainers" that are easy and comfortable, sure not to disappoint but maybe not too challenging. On days that I just don't know, I go with one of those. Tam Dao EDP, Chanel #5 Eau Premiere and other similar are included in that group. Of course, there is always my favorite scent ever, Chanel Bois des Iles, and that one can always be counted on to never be wrong.

It happens to me more and more often that I am indecisive on what to wear. I used the Pick Me Something Random to Wear button a few times, but the suggestions I received were never suitable, but rather weird. The fragrance I am wearing must be suitable for the weather, my mood, my outfit, and what I propose to to this day.

I visualize my perfume wardrobe for about 15 to 30 minutes to find something appropriate. During my business life I was never indecisive.

Gets easy over time, you define the genre you want and go for the best from that genre on the day. For now, often just spraying one on gives a lot of needed info. The more you wear them the more you find out what you like and not. There will be plenty.