Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 59 of 59
Just Starting Out Sponsor
  1. #31
    Super Member Picassoutine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Don't be shy with the sprays. My skin tends to eat frags too.
    Just try using more than you think is 'correct.'

    One that does last — Absolue Pour Le Soir by MFK.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

    Jean Klein

  2. #32

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    Don't be shy with the sprays. My skin tends to eat frags too.
    Just try using more than you think is 'correct.'

    One that does last — Absolue Pour Le Soir by MFK.
    Do you apply more sprays at once or less sprays more frequently?
    I tried more sprays at once but that does not seem to work.

  3. #33
    Super Member Picassoutine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    More sprays initially, including one to the back of the neck, the base of the throat, as well as sides of neck where pulse points are.
    Also in warmer weather when you're wearing short sleeves the insides of the elbows are a good spot.
    Sometimes when I'm really working it I spray a little frag into my hair goo.
    A little refresh now and then doesn't hurt either, if possible!
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

    Jean Klein

  4. #34
    Basenotes Plus
    CapriDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sai Gon, Vietnam
    Posts
    4,680

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    I used to have skin irritation on both sides of my neck because I applied scents right after a hot shower. Since I started applying unscented lotion/cream right after the shower, the skin rash is gone and scents seem to stay longer too. Just a thought.

  5. #35
    Super Member Picassoutine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Good point. Using lotion first definitely helps.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

    Jean Klein

  6. #36

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Thanks to everyone on who replied.
    I have ordered
    1) Bogart PH
    2) Silver Scent (just a sample)
    3) Oscar Pour Lui
    This should help test it out.
    I will update after I receive the package and test all out over a week or so.
    Thanks again

  7. #37

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Sounds strange to me if it doesnt last on clothes. Something like creeds MI maybe I get a average of 3-5 hours of that. But on my clothes? That can last for days on end. So ya id say if something isnt lasting on your clothes that seems pretty iffy.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Well as I mentioned I do have two musk scents which do last.
    If you think about it my clothes are in contact with my body and whatever skin does or projects could impact the scent could it not?
    Actually your comment has given me an idea for an experiment. I will spray my clothes directly while they in the closet and compare with how long it lasts.
    Thank you!

  9. #39

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    You're not spraying enough.
    for swap/sale:



  10. #40

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    You're not spraying enough.
    Yesterday I experimented with Davidoff Zino, which to my noobie nose is just such a fantastic fragrance.
    I put 6 sprays on my moisturized chest, and 6 on my clothes. I used 6 additional sprays on my clothes at 11 am (started work at 8) and an additional 6 at 2.00 pm. I confirmed with a coworker that at no point projection exceeded one foot. and my wife at 5.00 Pm at home could detect the fragrance at 6 inches or less.
    So how does this fit with the one spray is enough theory?
    Last edited by xerysus; 11th April 2014 at 08:51 PM.

  11. #41

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by xerysus View Post
    Yesterday I experimented with Davidoff Zino, which to my noobie nose is just such a fantastic fragrance.
    I put 6 sprays on my moisturized chest, and 6 on my clothes. I used 6 additional sprays on my clothes at 11 am (started work at 8) and an additional 6 at 2.00 pm. I confirmed with a coworker that at no point projection exceeded one foot. and my wife at 5.00 Pm at home could detect the fragrance at 6 inches or less.
    So how does this fit with the one spray is enough theory?
    I don't know how it fits into the one spray category.
    I oppose one spray people & wish multiple sprays were obligatory.


    I can't comment about your Zino experience but it seems like you sprayed enough.
    for swap/sale:



  12. #42

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I don't know how it fits into the one spray category.
    I oppose one spray people & wish multiple sprays were obligatory.


    I can't comment about your Zino experience but it seems like you sprayed enough.
    Apologies. I was not clear. I was not referring to anything you said. Just in general I have seen discussions about how many sprays and I just cannot help but wonder if some people's body/body chemistry neutralizes their cologne projection/sillage to a much higher degree than others.

  13. #43

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    How close is your hand to your body while you are spraying? Maybe its the mist is not concentrated enough?

    Also, I recommend trying anything from Tauer especially LDDM. Lasts forever.

  14. #44

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewam View Post
    How close is your hand to your body while you are spraying? Maybe its the mist is not concentrated enough?

    Also, I recommend trying anything from Tauer especially LDDM. Lasts forever.
    About 4-5 inches. Holding it closer helps?

  15. #45

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by xerysus View Post
    About 4-5 inches. Holding it closer helps?
    No you are fine. I thought maybe you were holding it a little further away and not getting all the juice on you.

  16. #46

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Versace Euros lasts FOREVER. Although I don't recommend it, as it gives me headaches when I wear it. Not sure if thats just me, but other colognes I have don't do that. I don't even spray a full spray, because its really strong.

  17. #47

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Definitely try Costume National Homme!
    A gorgeous and potent stuff!
    I'm pretty sure it WILL satisfy you...!
    My all time favorite:

    Dior Fahrenheit

  18. #48

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    Definitely try Costume National Homme!
    A gorgeous and potent stuff!
    I'm pretty sure it WILL satisfy you...!
    Thanks, I see you love Xerysus Rouge. I love it too. What a wonderful scent. I would say it is my 3rd Fav of the 15 or so I have.

    Still do you think it is a tad...I don't want to say effeminate, but a tad unisex?
    Thanks,

  19. #49

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Update:Got a few samples and few cheap powerhouses.
    So far Quorum is one that really lasts. I have never seen anything like this. It refuses to come OFF! I was comparing Quorum and a sample of Solo Loewe on different arms. I sprayed 1 spray of Quorum and 4 sprays of Solo Loewe. 2 hours later and after washing my Quorum Arm twice, Quorum was still overpowering Solo Loewe for a 3:1 projection distance. What the hell do they put in that?
    It is a decent scent, so now I have 3 colognes with lasting power.
    Also discovered that putting colognes on clothes and putting moisturizer on the same spot under the clothes makes my colognes last longer. Apparently my skin can suck the life out of a cologne even at a distance!

  20. #50
    Basenotes Member Kampus Kop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    I do not spray colognes on my clothes ... I do not desire that much projection. Typically I spritz some on my body just after drying myself off after a shower. Most of them last 2, 3 or 4 hours tops, what I can detect. A strange thing is many hours later - when I'm getting undressed to go to bed - and I peel off my T-shirt or undershirt I get one last whiff of it and whatever I was wearing is most pleasant!

    It seems to me that frangrances "stick" to hair more than bare skin. A few drops in the hair on your head is not a bad idea. Better still, spray some on your chest if you have hair on your chest.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    going in a different direction here (why is everyone recommending powerhouses instead of trying to figure out the problem?)...

    we've talked about diet... and climate (I'm assuming it's still cold in Calgary?)

    maybe it's skin bacteria? (could be on your clothes too)
    what about the type of laundry detergent and body wash/soap you're using?
    don't misunderstand me, but how dark or light is your skin? (cacausian, asian, african american, latino, etc). Oily, dry?
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

    Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

  22. #52

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by xerysus View Post
    Can anyone recommend any modern Fragrance which might last
    You need a prescription fragrance...The one I strongly recommend & which is currently available in the online market - Norma Kamali Incense. BEWARE though, if you go too many sprays on this, u might be the only one staying at your home or office (or anywhere in between) & by too many sprays I mean anything more than 3.

    3 of this will be equivalent to 20+ sprays of a strong EDP parfum

    3 sprays of this lasts 24+ hours on me - an indian who eats curry food twice a day & loves garlic & spicy hot food.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

  23. #53

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    To add - i never spray any type of parfum on clothes...
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

  24. #54

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    going in a different direction here (why is everyone recommending powerhouses instead of trying to figure out the problem?)...

    we've talked about diet... and climate (I'm assuming it's still cold in Calgary?)

    maybe it's skin bacteria? (could be on your clothes too)
    what about the type of laundry detergent and body wash/soap you're using?
    don't misunderstand me, but how dark or light is your skin? (cacausian, asian, african american, latino, etc). Oily, dry?
    Yes it is still cold in Calgary and very freaking dry.
    I am thinking the dry is certainly part of the issue.
    As I mentioned, applying on clothes and moisturizing the skin under that part of the clothes does increase the longevity by 30-40%.

  25. #55

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    You need a prescription fragrance...The one I strongly recommend & which is currently available in the online market - Norma Kamali Incense. BEWARE though, if you go too many sprays on this, u might be the only one staying at your home or office (or anywhere in between) & by too many sprays I mean anything more than 3.

    3 of this will be equivalent to 20+ sprays of a strong EDP parfum

    3 sprays of this lasts 24+ hours on me - an indian who eats curry food twice a day & loves garlic & spicy hot food.
    If that is a nice scent I might try it.
    Quorum is something that really lasts, over 8 hours and it is an ok scent....like a 5.5 on 10 for me.
    My biggest concern with everything was not becoming "The cologne Guy" so I have been tip-toeing further.

  26. #56
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Hi, Xerysus,

    I am a female and my skin eats up most fragrances, cheap or pricey.

    In order to hold on to some I have learned to apply a bit of pure almond oil as a moisturizer to the inside of my wrists and elbows and at the base of my throat. I let it soak in, and then spray liberally. It helps, but usually after 3-4 hours no one can smell much unles they are literally nuzzling my neck.

    A few exceptions: Youth Dew by Estee Lauder, Clinique Elixir ( I think a man could easily wear this), Dune by Dior, and Shalimar.

    You might try getting a really rich, unscented body creme, adding your favorite scent, and closing it up for a week or two. Then use the cream and add a spay or two as you leave the house. Works for me.

    Go to the store and try Clinique Elixir, but CAREFULLY !!! That stuff is potent ! They also have a perfume, which I own and it can overwhelm even me.

    Good luck !

  27. #57

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by sindistone View Post
    Hi, Xerysus,

    I am a female and my skin eats up most fragrances, cheap or pricey.

    In order to hold on to some I have learned to apply a bit of pure almond oil as a moisturizer to the inside of my wrists and elbows and at the base of my throat. I let it soak in, and then spray liberally. It helps, but usually after 3-4 hours no one can smell much unles they are literally nuzzling my neck.

    A few exceptions: Youth Dew by Estee Lauder, Clinique Elixir ( I think a man could easily wear this), Dune by Dior, and Shalimar.

    You might try getting a really rich, unscented body creme, adding your favorite scent, and closing it up for a week or two. Then use the cream and add a spay or two as you leave the house. Works for me.

    Go to the store and try Clinique Elixir, but CAREFULLY !!! That stuff is potent ! They also have a perfume, which I own and it can overwhelm even me.

    Good luck !
    I could wear Clinique Elixer? My wife threatened to neuter me when I tried Dior Homme Intense

    So what you are suggesting is I spray a cream bottle? Then use the cream and spray over it?
    If I sprayed a cream box wouldn't only the base notes be left?
    Thanks for your comment.

  28. #58
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    You can wear ANYTHING you want ! That's what is great about all the wonderful fragrances we have. Just try the Clinique Elixir in a store, preferably the perfume as opposed to the cologne if you can find it. Be careful, though, the perfume can be a sillage monster!

    I am suggesting you make a body cream from a fragrance of your choice. You can buy one if you want, but I have found my method, while totally unscientific and backed up solely by anecdotal evidence, works for me. Your fragrance needs to saturate the rich, unscented cream, hence my suggestion to close it up for a bit to let it meld together.

    Step #1: Moisturize damp skin. Let dry.
    Step #2: Apply scented cream in the moisturized area and wait a few minutes until it has been mostly absorbed by your skin.
    Step #3: Spray your fragrance OVER the areas that have the scented cream on them.

    Not knowledgeable enough to know if only base notes are left, but seems to me it won't matter much if you can't hold on to a scent to begin with. The scents should match closely enough, and the moisture in the cream should both hold on to and amplify the fragrance.

    That's why we have scented soaps, shampoos, moisturizing lotions, deodorants, bath powders and perfumes in matching scents to layer. Some people can get by with one or two of these. Maybe you need more layering. Can't hurt, costs very little and is worth a try.

    Find a deodorant with a note from the fragrance if you can, or at least an unscented one that won't clash or neutralize your fragrance of choice. Spritz your hair, too, there's oil there to grab and hold scent.

    Let us know if any of it helps.
    Last edited by sindistone; 6th May 2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

  29. #59

    Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by sindistone View Post
    You can wear ANYTHING you want ! That's what is great about all the wonderful fragrances we have. Just try the Clinique Elixir in a store, preferably the perfume as opposed to the cologne if you can find it. Be careful, though, the perfume can be a sillage monster!

    I am suggesting you make a body cream from a fragrance of your choice. You can buy one if you want, but I have found my method, while totally unscientific and backed up solely by anecdotal evidence, works for me. Your fragrance needs to saturate the rich, unscented cream, hence my suggestion to close it up for a bit to let it meld together.

    Step #1: Moisturize damp skin. Let dry.
    Step #2: Apply scented cream in the moisturized area and wait a few minutes until it has been mostly absorbed by your skin.
    Step #3: Spray your fragrance OVER the areas that have the scented cream on them.

    Not knowledgeable enough to know if only base notes are left, but seems to me it won't matter much if you can't hold on to a scent to begin with. The scents should match closely enough, and the moisture in the cream should both hold on to and amplify the fragrance.

    That's why we have scented soaps, shampoos, moisturizing lotions, deodorants, bath powders and perfumes in matching scents to layer. Some people can get by with one or two of these. Maybe you need more layering. Can't hurt, costs very little and is worth a try.

    Find a deodorant with a note from the fragrance if you can, or at least an unscented one that won't clash or neutralize your fragrance of choice. Spritz your hair, too, there's oil there to grab and hold scent.

    Let us know if any of it helps.
    "You can wear ANYTHING you want!"....not when I am married to someone way out of my league .
    I will try your suggestion. Sounds interesting and being from a science background I love to try such ideas. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Similar Threads

  1. Best way to apply The Dreamer on skin and clothes !!
    By NONAME1996 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27th August 2011, 09:38 PM
  2. Do you spray on your clothes too or just skin?
    By Speed00kills in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11th May 2009, 06:44 PM
  3. On your skin or on your clothes?
    By Thomas Martin in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 1st January 2009, 04:57 PM
  4. Fragrances applied on clothes or skin?
    By optimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 4th May 2007, 07:41 PM
  5. Perfumes you like on your skin but not on your clothes
    By bonni in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30th October 2006, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000