Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

Hi,
    I just started using colognes and spent a bunch on multiple authentic fragrances.
    Colognes do not last more than an hour on me even if sprayed on clothes. I have read about olfactory fatigue but its not that for 3 reasons.
    1) I have verified with my co-workers
    2) I have verified with my wife
    3) 2 Old time colognes actually do last the whole day on me! Jovan Musk and Royal Copenhagen musk!
    I have a few others which just get blown out in one hour. These include many heavy Sillage/projection monsters.
    I have Xerysus Rouge, Davidoff Zino, Bleu De Chanel, Brut, Stetson Coty, Issey Bleu, Euphoria Intense CK,Nautica Blue, Aspen Coty.
    Applying on body, clothes, hair makes no difference. Vaseline or moisturizer make a small difference. I have used as many as 12 sprays. The 2 musks last a long time and I know for a fact all my colognes are genuine. I really like RCM and JM is ok but I feel for the rest of my collection. Has anyone had similar experiences? Can anyone recommend any modern Fragrance which might last considering the armada that failed?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Colognes do not last on skin or clothes

Perhaps try some of the Montale Aouds, or Mancera Aouds to see if you get better longevity with these, and Welcome to you!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by xerysus View Post
    Can anyone recommend any modern Fragrance which might last considering the armada that failed?
    A number of the fragrances you listed are very low-quality, although a couple are known to stick around.

Try a couple of these beasts and see how they fare:

Amouage's Interlude Man
    ELdO's Rien
    Slumberhouse Norne
    Matriarch Blackbird
    Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute

They're punishingly strong fragrances that you'll have with you for at least 24 hour hours.

If you want to experiment with a cheap / drug store type scent, try Joop! It's the stuff of nightmares, and you'll be taking sandpaper to your skin to try and get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps try some of the Montale Aouds, or Mancera Aouds to see if you get better longevity with these, and Welcome to you!
    Thanks!
    You have been here for some time. Have you heard of people saying something like this? I also have Drakkar Noir which falls in the same group.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    A number of the fragrances you listed are very low-quality, although a couple are known to stick around.

Try a couple of these beasts and see how they fare:

Amouage's Interlude Man
    ELdO's Rien
    Slumberhouse Norne
    Matriarch Blackbird
    Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute

They're punishingly strong fragrances that you'll have with you for at least 24 hour hours.

If you want to experiment with a cheap / drug store type scent, try Joop! It's the stuff of nightmares, and you'll be taking sandpaper to your skin to try and get it off.
    Lol. I actually did sample Joop and did not like it. I have heard of its powers and I did carry that scent for quite some time ( I sprayed on paper but got some on my finger)
    I have 2 major frags on their way Guerlain L'instant Eau Extreme and A*Men. I will try and sample some from your list.
    Edit: Thank you!
    Last edited by xerysus; 6th April 2014 at 08:13 PM.

Other possible suggestions to test:

DHI
    TDH Parfum
    Boucheron pour Homme EDP
    Chanel PM Concentree
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Other possible suggestions to test:

DHI
    TDH Parfum
    Boucheron pour Homme EDP
    Chanel PM Concentree
    Thanks!
    What is TDH Parfum?
    Also, can my skin influence the cologne sprayed on my clothes?

That is really weird. Are you positive your fragrances are completely authentic? My only suggestions would be to drink a lot of water, wear moisturizer, and possibly try some really strong fragrances like others have previously mentioned.

LIDGE should last a good long while.

What is TDH Parfum?
    Terre d'Hermes in parfum concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    That is really weird. Are you positive your fragrances are completely authentic? My only suggestions would be to drink a lot of water, wear moisturizer, and possibly try some really strong fragrances like others have previously mentioned.
    HI,
    Yes. They are authentic. They have been bought from reliable sources. 4 different reliable sources including high end dept store from where I got Bleu De Chanel and Euphoria Intense. In any case, that would not explain why Jovan Musk and Royal Copenhagen Musk (same sources) would last all day. Unless I am missing something?
    I still do not get how it lasts so little on my clothes, unless my skin influences stuff indirectly.
    One point that just came up in my head is I eat extremely spicy food....like off the charts spicy. Maybe that has an impact.

Basenotes Plus

I also eat off the chart, dump on the habanero or ghost chili hot, and it has not had an impact on me. However, when you say hot food, might you also mean lots of garlic or curries, or things that have a great deal of odor coming off of the skin? If so, perhaps those are overpowering your scents? Totally random, and not based on any evidence; just a thought.

Colognes and splashes are by nature very dilute and short lived. EDT, EDP and extrait are increasingly concentrated forms
    and perfume oils have great lasting power.

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    I also eat off the chart, dump on the habanero or ghost chili hot, and it has not had an impact on me. However, when you say hot food, might you also mean lots of garlic or curries, or things that have a great deal of odor coming off of the skin? If so, perhaps those are overpowering your scents? Totally random, and not based on any evidence; just a thought.
    "Great deal of odor coming off of the skin?"
    That is going to be a hard question to ask my friends . LoL. That is possible as I do mean spices as like Habenero and Garlic/ginger etc.
    My wife eats a similar diet but her perfumes last way longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeon View Post
    Colognes and splashes are by nature very dilute and short lived. EDT, EDP and extrait are increasingly concentrated forms
    and perfume oils have great lasting power.
    Hi Odeon.
    All my "colognes" listed are EDT with the exception of Royal Copenhagen which is actually a Cologne and one of the two that actually lasts on my skin. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    LIDGE should last a good long while.
    LIDGE is such sad word for a cologne I have heard a lot about.
    Tested the EDT in store and ordered the EDP directly from Guerlain.
    If that stuff does not last don't know what will.

It's really weird that they don't last on clothing either because that has nothing to do with your skin. Can you go to a department store and try a tester just to make sure?

Very odd. Skin is one thing, but when you've moisturized and sprayed 12 shots... And clothing too? Are we talking cotton or polyester or silk or what?

I can't recall Jovan and have never tried Royal Copen, so I have little point of reference, but I truly can't imagine it being a lack of "quality" like the elitists will cite.

A few major performers you can try to test the theory and not break bank...

Jacques Bogart Homme
    Jacques Bogart One Man Show
    Jacques Bogart 1 Man Show Gold
    Jacques Bogart Silver Scent
    Jacques Bogart Silver Intense
    Roger & Gallet Open
    Dior Aqua Fahrenheit
    Joop Homme
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    It's really weird that they don't last on clothing either because that has nothing to do with your skin. Can you go to a department store and try a tester just to make sure?
    I did many times. Latest was Guerlain L'instant the regular one not extreme. We were at the mall. I put two sprays on my clothes. Beautiful scent. One hour later at home my wife could barely sniff it at one inch distance. This was a cotton T shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Very odd. Skin is one thing, but when you've moisturized and sprayed 12 shots... And clothing too? Are we talking cotton or polyester or silk or what?

I can't recall Jovan and have never tried Royal Copen, so I have little point of reference, but I truly can't imagine it being a lack of "quality" like the elitists will cite.

A few major performers you can try to test the theory and not break bank...

Jacques Bogart Homme
    Jacques Bogart One Man Show
    Jacques Bogart 1 Man Show Gold
    Jacques Bogart Silver Scent
    Jacques Bogart Silver Intense
    Roger & Gallet Open
    Dior Aqua Fahrenheit
    Joop Homme
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Those are great suggestions.
    Just checked all on fragarantica. All have very high sillage and long lasting-ness I will try Silver scent Intense. Very high Sillage and high score too. Should not make the wife flee

I have to wonder if climate plays more a role here than anything. There really is only one common denominator here, and that's location. If multiple noses, articles of clothing and fragrances are run in this test, the only thing that remains true about all is that they're being used in one area/zone/climate.

I've got a great idea, take a vacation, you probably deserve one anyway. Go somewhere exotic and do some more testing there! See, win-win!

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I have to wonder if climate plays more a role here than anything. There really is only one common denominator here, and that's location. If multiple noses, articles of clothing and fragrances are run in this test, the only thing that remains true about all is that they're being used in one area/zone/climate.

I've got a great idea, take a vacation, you probably deserve one anyway. Go somewhere exotic and do some more testing there! See, win-win!
    I am in Calgary, Canada. Based on everyone's responses I am thinking and my own thought process I am going to test a few beasts recommended here. Beyond that I am thinking it is my skin. Maybe it has its own aroma or its own scent field and it is neutralizing stuff on my clothes.I mean my skin does touch my clothes and it could have an impact.

I am going to run a test with a heavy sweater layered with two t shirts. I will spray on the sweater itself. That should keep my skin a bit far from it and see whether lasting effect improves.

I was curious about the fabric choice of your clothes...but you answered that with cotton. I have the opposite problem. My collection is 99% designer and even well known fragrances with longevity issues (like D&G The One) last all day close to my skin (8 hrs +) and longer on my clothes. If I use a known "beast" I use only 1 1/2 to 2 sprays at the most at least an hour before I go out. Good luck with your search.

I did many times. Latest was Guerlain L'instant the regular one not extreme. We were at the mall. I put two sprays on my clothes. Beautiful scent. One hour later at home my wife could barely sniff it at one inch distance. This was a cotton T shirt.
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Insurrection II Dark
    Taxi by Confinluxe
    Bravo - Diamond Collection (Copy of Only the Brave by Diesel)
    Bravo Tattoo - Diamond Collection (Copy of Only The Brave Tattoo by Diesel)
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain

YSL M7
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ciaga-SAMPLES!

Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Tom Ford Noir de Noir, By Kilian Prelude to Love, Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

When you spray on clothes. Fragrances do last IMO. What is your interpretation of "do not last"... How many hours after application do you smell them or do you not smell them anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    When you spray on clothes. Fragrances do last IMO. What is your interpretation of "do not last"... How many hours after application do you smell them or do you not smell them anymore?
    In about an hour. This includes my wife not being to smell it when she has had no previous exposure to the cologne.

Lapidus Pour Homme should work.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Same with me, No matter how much I spray.. nothing seems to last on me.
    Maybe my skin chemistry doesnt work with fragrances. I tried spraying on clothes but nobody seem to smell it except for me (sniffing it).

Quote Originally Posted by Justalex View Post
    Same with me, No matter how much I spray.. nothing seems to last on me.
    Maybe my skin chemistry doesnt work with fragrances. I tried spraying on clothes but nobody seem to smell it except for me (sniffing it).
    Fascinating. I do seem to have luck with 2 rather old fashioned colognes. I guess my signatures scents chose me and not the other way around .
    I am trying some heavy hitters and the experiment I mentioned above and I will let you know if we are two of a kind.

Update:
    Got Guerlain Instant L'Eau Extreme. This came directly from Guerlain Boutique in Toronto.
    I used 6 sprays. 3 on body and 3 on Shirt. Lasted longer than others but became a skin scent in under 2.5 hours.

Pity as it is the most freaking awesome scent on the planet.