Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Nothing I Do Gets Me a Close Shave Without Razor Burn or Ingrown Hairs

Tend Skin Razor Bump Skin Care Solution. The only thing you will ever need for bumps & burn. The back of my neck is prone to bumps after a haircut, because my hair is so wavy. Now I apply Tend Skin after every haircut and, as long as I use it faithfully, the bumps do not return. Skin already affected looks and feels better in an hour or so.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Default Re: Nothing I Do Gets Me a Close Shave Without Razor Burn or Ingrown Hairs

some really good ideas in here. Will try some of them

conditioner

Seriously, the key is moisturizing the hairs, and moisturizing conditioner does that. Begin with that, preferably after a hot shower. I have gotten BBS with aerosol foam and a Mach 3 and Dorco 4 blade just by performing proper beard prep. I also use a Feather travel with Derby blades when I have time.

Straights work well, but you need to be able to strop and hone, or spend too much money paying other people to perform easy maintenance.

If all would forgive me, I'm too lazy to read everyone's replies, but while I imagine plenty of solid advice has been given regarding pre-shave routine and actual shaving, including products, it occured to me as I glanced through and saw this thread and then the picture you posted, that regardless of how much you might improve your routine, if your skin is already badly irritated, I fear your results will not improve until that is resolved first. So the starting point that I would recommend is to do some research into some good products to clear up and sooth that inflammation that's already there, and THEN you might find that little tweeks to your routine that are at this point ineffective might actually make a world of difference on a reasonably "clean slate" so to speak. Might even consult a dermatologist or even an acupuncturist/herbalist, but it'd probably be cheaper to just do some research, find some sort of cucumber-based (or other such cooling - aloe, etc) mask or balm of some sort and see if you have any luck. The reason why I bring up acupuncturist/herbalist is that if you DO manage to clear the inflammation but then it comes back up quickly and easily your next attempt at a shave, while it MIGHT have something to do with your tools, products and technique (we each must find what fits us), you might also be dealing with the unfair disadvantage of some sort of physical pre-inclination towards your skin getting inflammed like that. Resolve that, which even though in itself may seem to be a relatively small issue may still be well-worth addressing in as healthy a way as possible for the sake of your overall health, and you might find shaving to be a more pleasant experience with much less harsh results to your skin.
    Best wishes!

Agree here. I have the same problem with sensitive skin. What ends up happening is that I have to be too aggressive with blades to get the closeness that I want, regardless of the types I use. I changed to an electric, Braun as well, and I get the closeness (most of it) without the irritation of blades.

Great tips above but one thing I will state never use HOT water always tepid... your face drys out to much with hot and cold will close the pores so get a temperature thats middle of the range but more hot than cold if that makes sense.

That's funny! I got an email from basenotes about this thread titled: "Nothing I Do Gets Me a Close Shave Without Razor".
    The rest was not visible

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by clarkehildreth View Post
    I shave against the grain with a Shick Hydro 5, while rinsing under hot water every few strokes
    If there's one thing you're doing that is causing you the most grief, this is surely it. Stop doing that.

I also have sensitive skin and I have had the same problems as you. I no longer have those problems. Here are some changes I made that have rid me of ingrows, rashes and other problems.

1. I also now use a badger brush. My shave soap of choice is Tabac.I've tried many others, but nothing beats Tabac, especially for the price.

2. I threw out the multi blade cartridges. I have about a dozen various double edge razors, and my favorite is an old Gillette Slim from the 60s. You can get great deals on eBay. I like Gillettes much more than my new Merkurs.

3. Best razor blade ever: Voskhod Got a 100 for about $12 on eBay.

4. No more against the grain. Very important! One pass with the grain and a second across. Make sure to study your face in a mirror and pay attention to what direction your hair grows in on various parts of your face and neck. You'd be surprised that after years of shaving, if you don't really pay attention, you aren't really aware of how the growth patterns differ.

Not shaving against the grain any more has made the biggest difference, but other changes like going with a DE blade and making a super slick lather help a lot too.

I've tried exfoliating, ingrown hair lotions, etc,, and they didn't work a bit. Once the hairs go under the skin, you're screwed for several days.

Great advice from all the posters however those are based on what works for each of them. One thing I've learned in my 35 plus years of shaving: find the set up that works for you, not someone else.

When people are recommending creams or soaps for example, they give an advice on creams they tried and found they work. Trumpers, Proraso, Musgo Real, TOBS have been around for generations. If someone recommends for example Crabtree And Evelyn product rejecting the rest, it means people are speaking from personal experiences.
    There is no right or wrong in shaving business. You need to try yourself to ensure the product works for YOU.
    Same with razors, brushes, and more importantly, blades.
    The main requirement: a blade needs to be super sharp. There is no point of having a blade that does not cut at the first go. Some blades are better than others. Everybody knows that Feathers are the sharpest out there. However, in the mid-range group there are many similar blades but they are not the same. Astra, Dorco, Gillette, wilkinson, Personnas (US and Israelis), Derby, Treet, BiC, 7 O'Clock, Gillette Swedes, etc, etc. Some people like all of them, some like a particular brand only.
    The difference people experiencing with the same blade but different result comes to many variables in play: razor (how much of the blade edge is exposed), cream / soap, pre-shave procedure (pre shave lotion, oils, etc). Type of the brush (however not as important as other attributes), type of person's skin, length of the hair on a particular day, etc.
    I tried many old Gillette DE razors both 3-piece or TTO (Turn To Open) and nothing worked for me: Slim, FatBoy, Rocket, TV, Aristocrats, Thins, Techs, Super Speeds, and more.

The best razor (again, for me) is anything made by KAI, period. Nothing beats it. Supersharp and gives a perfect shave. Could be an exposure of the blades, an angle, not sure.

So from my personal experience I would suggest to OP the following:
    1. Ditch the foam, use soap, or a cream of well respected and known brands.
    2. Try different razors / blades combinations (in DE razor range) to see what suits best. Get a blades' sample pack and try different blades.
    3. Try to find KAI made blades / razors (even disposables), thank me later.
    4. When doing passes, do not press the blade to the skin, just glide it. One pass with and one accross/against.
    5. Keep the face wet and use hot water before and during shaving.
    6. Use alum block after a shave, then a lotion and last an aftershave cream. Again you need to try different combinations to workout what works best on you skin.

Another great website you may want to visit is: shavemyface.com

Good luck.
    Last edited by Alex; 27th December 2014 at 12:18 PM.

Well my friend...I can give you some sincere advice from someone who has lived with a 5 o'clock shadow and razor burns so bad that I would only shave every 3 days or so before landing a very professional job a few years ago.

1. Scrub your face with a facial scrub, brush, or loofa with warm/hot water first.
    2. Buy a HIGH QUALITY shaving soap...i.e. Taylor of Old Bond Street. Geo F Trumpers, Captain Conk, Green Mountain (Green Mountain taking the cake)...
    3. Shave with a straight edge or double edge razor. Make two passes with the grain plus one against for a close shave. Discard your mach 3 or multi-blade razor immediately if you're using one.
    4. Buy a syptic pen (~$1-$5). It's necessary.
    5. Use a quality aftershave and follow with a good facial moisturizer.

A good close shave takes longer than a quick shave, but trust me it's worth it.

All excellent advice given to you. The biggest improvement will come from switching from the canned foam or goo to a high quality soap. I can heartily recommend Cold River Soap Works Select line. There are other artisans that are well regarded but to me these guys are the best. Their soap fragrances are out of this world good!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkehildreth View Post
    Information about me: White with dark and thick facial hair that grows fast

I have to shave everyday, and I have to shave against the grain in order to not have any stubble. Even after shaving against the grain, the facial hair is still visible from under my skin.

Here is exactly what I do, step by step:

1) Take a long hot shower
    2) Rub Shave Secret Shaving Oil on my face
    3) Use a shaving brush to lather Gillete Foamy for Sensitive Skin shaving cream using circular motions
    4) Let it sit on my face for 3 minutes
    5) Using short strokes with little pressure, I shave with the grain with a Shick Hydro 5, while rinsing under hot water every few strokes
    6) I wash my face with hot water

7) Rub Shave Secret Shaving Oil on my face
    8) Use a shaving brush to lather Gillete Foamy for Sensitive Skin shaving cream using circular motions
    9) Using short strokes with little pressure, I shave against the grain with a Shick Hydro 5, while rinsing under hot water every few strokes
    10) I wash my face with cold water
    11) I put an alum block under cold water, then I rub it over shaved areas
    12) I wash my face with cold water

13) Using a wash cloth (small towel), I pat my face completely dry
    14) Using a new cottonball, I rub Tend Skin Liquid over the shaved areas
    15) I let it sit for 5 minutes
    16) Lastly, I rub Cerave Moisturizing Cream (noncomedogenic, non-irritating, and grease-free) all over my face

Note: I include my neck in the process as well as my face.

Overall, this takes at least 30 to 45 minutes every morning after the shower. I still manage to get razor burn on my face and in grown hairs. I am considering laser hair removal. What can I do to help??? I am getting desperate, as I spend hours everyday researching, and I spend hundreds on different shaving products. I look "dirty", and my facial hair makes me look foreign if I don't shave it.

Here is a picture
    Attachment 27084
    I had the same problem. The one and only thing you need to do is switch to a safety razor. When I did that, my razor burn vanished. The reason is that when you use a mutli-blade razor you can get hairs caught in between the blades and they get pulled out instead of cut off (this is more likely to happen the more you grow your beard out).

No brush, shaving cream, preshave oil or any other gizmo will solve this problem without changing to a safety razor.

I agree, a good safety razor should make all the difference for ya - a Merkur 34c or 38c should do the trick. HOWEVER, you'll then have to experiment with which blades suit you. i had similar problems and lean towards Astra Platinum blades. You'll hear that Feather is the sharpest, but that doesn't necessarily mean the best suited for your skin.
    Shave Secret you only need to apply about 5 drops once. Wet it again and it rejuvinates itself.
    Try rinsing off using warm water, and then at the very end after all rinsed off, then use cold as a final rinse.
    I shave with, then across, then against the grain, no more weight than the razor itself. But you need to arrive at a routine and technique that fits for you.
    Been there, so I wish you the best!

Straight razor honed on a Coticule does it for me!

Generally speaking, using a well honed and sharp straight razor, as well as using the right technique, is the solution to ingrown hair. Using a pre shave oil may also help.

From a womans point of view on this thread. I cannot of course comment on good shaving practice. However something that hasn't really been mentioned much is a holistic approach and diet.

I suggest having a look at the diet and see if the content of fruit and vegetables is high enough for some vitamin C intake. Skin sensitivities can be radically altered with what you put into yourself.

If looking 'dirty' is a concern, then the other thing is to actually get a little sun exposure. A good weekend being blasted by an ozonic sea air would not go amiss.

The last resort suggestion would be to grow a really tight, short, sculptured beard and just live with what you are given but tame it into something really stylish.
    Currently wearing: Civet by Houbigant

As I'm new to the forum, I took a look at this postbecause I'm a wet shaver. The poor man's chin looked like hamburger-and that happened to me too. There are great shaving enthusiast sites (The Shave Nook, Badger & Blade, etc) that can really guide people. Mumsy also has a great take on diet and skin care-very often we overlook hydartion and good diet.