Code of Conduct

Default Good signature scent for high school

I am a freshman in high school and i'm looking for a signature scent for spring/summer.
    I already have cool water (a gift) but I am not a huge fan of it.
    The cologne needs to be something that i can wear everyday. I also do not want to spend over $50.
    I am also intent on wearing something different. I do not want to smell like that guy from math etc. I want something that is... me.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Good signature scent for high school

[QUOTE=hc720;3115641]I am a freshman in high school and i'm looking for a signature scent for spring/summer.
    I already have cool water (a gift) but I am not a huge fan of it.
    The cologne needs to be something that i can wear everyday. I also do not want to spend over $50.
    I am also intent on wearing something different. I do not want to smell like that guy from math etc. I want something that is... me.

Mont Blanc legend or a&f fierce. Girls love those in highschool, thank me later. Buy from amazon or price match at nordstrom to target for Mont Blanc. U can get the big bottle for 38$, well worth it

Welcome!

Off the top of my head, things you could try:
    Lush Dirty: (if you have Lush store nearby), fresh, minty, and very interesting. In store, available as body spray, but which lasts as long as a cologne, and it's not expensive.
    And if you are a little more daring, you could try their Breath of God, an avant-garde composition with fresh notes together with a little smoke.

if you want to go classic, you could check a couple of Carons, like Caron pour un homme or Troisieme homme. Caron pour un homme is lavender and vanilla, fresh and elegant. Troisieme homme is a fresh fougere. Regular retail price is higher, about $90, but I believe they can be had for about $50 online.

cacio

Go to Nordstroms, grab some samples...spend some time with them and find out what you like. One that I would check out at Macy's is definitely Dior Homme Eau for Men and Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme.
    Last edited by rynegne; 7th April 2014 at 03:38 AM.

I think as mentioned above, Troisieme Homme by Caron would be an excellent consideration. Inoffensive, smells great and not found on every other guy.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Like others have said, go to a department store and see what kind of things you like. In high school, people honestly don't really care what you smell like as long as it isn't offensive (I'm in high school too). Some to try:

Terre d'Hermes
    Bleu de Chanel
    Gucci Pour Homme 2
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (great one for the summer, people love it)

Paco Rabanne XS
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

One giant piece of advice, gets the females, don't wear 'aquatic', makes you smell like the rest of a high school male population. Keep that in mind, but find something fresh like a Vetiver, citrus, or like coconut... That would be dope for the summer

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme

A lot of your friends might be wearing Boss Bottled which is very similar. L'Homme is a lot more sophisticated though. Not as loud. It's a versatile, safe scent without being generic. It performs well for a soft scent too. My first time wearing it at work (fine dining steakhouse), the hottest female server came up to me and smelled me. She really liked it.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme

A lot of your friends might be wearing Boss Bottled which is very similar. L'Homme is a lot more sophisticated though. Not as loud. It's a versatile, safe scent without being generic. It performs well for a soft scent too. My first time wearing it at work (fine dining steakhouse), the hottest female server came up to me and smelled me. She really liked it.

I hope this helps.
    Quite a good fragrance. Can record a few hits with females.... Love this fragrance, especially in spring

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    Like others have said, go to a department store and see what kind of things you like. In high school, people honestly don't really care what you smell like as long as it isn't offensive (I'm in high school too). Some to try:

Terre d'Hermes
    Bleu de Chanel
    Gucci Pour Homme 2
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (great one for the summer, people love it)
    Agree with these selections....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Versace Pour Homme. It's versatile, fresh, not too heavy, and definitely gets compliments. Versace Man Eau Fraiche is nice, too. But I agree with others, go to the mall, sample, and pick one that you truly love if it's going to be your signature scent for spring and summer.

Paris Hilton Just Me for him

You could buy a decant of aventus. The girls won't even know what hit them lol. But out of the other suggestions +1 to Versace pour homme, fierce, and dior homme eau from Macys.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bergamatto Marino

Cool Water
    Curve
    L'Homme
    Fierce

I live in a small town and we don't have a macys, so what other stores might have some cologne i can try? We have a ross and belk but not much else.

Go to Ross and start sniffing if you can - some of the above suggestions are good ones, take notes and try to find some of them - also try Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts and maybe CK Shock, other ones that are quite inexpensive are any of the Michael Jordan's I have gotten compliments from HS age girls on Legend, Michael Jordan and Michael Jordan Flight the Legend is more fall/winter though IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hc720 View Post
    I live in a small town and we don't have a macys, so what other stores might have some cologne i can try? We have a ross and belk but not much else.
    Hmmm, that's a tough one. You might have to order samples or decants online if you don't have any department stores or Sephoras near by.

You might also consider emailing the houses you're interested in directly and asking if they can send you some samples of the fragrances you're interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Hmmm, that's a tough one. You might have to order samples or decants online if you don't have any department stores or Sephoras near by.

You might also consider emailing the houses you're interested in directly and asking if they can send you some samples of the fragrances you're interested in.
    I definitely want to smell Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme but where can i get a sample?

I definitely want to smell Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme but where can i get a sample?
    See the suggestions I mentioned in my post that you quoted above? Try one of those. For online stores that sell samples and decants, the two I use the most are Perfumed Court and Decant Shop. I'm sure people will chime in with other suggestions.

One more option: Google the nearest Yves Saint Laurent boutique to where you live and either call or email them. Explain your situation and ask if they'll send you a sample either for free for for a small fee.

www.decantshop.com

Quick, reasonable and reliable. You should be able to get samples of L'Homme and most others you'd be interested in there.

Blog Entries

@OP, do you have Sephora nearby? Follow the suggestion above and go there. Sephora carries L'Homme, and other nice scents and they give out free samples to those who ask (max of 3 in most places). Buying samples of easily accessible scents should be your last resort.

If you're near an upscale mall, see if they have Hermes boutique. Hermes is quite generous with samples, too. Just ask.

For paid samples/decants, my first recommendation is surrendertochance.com.

YSL L'Homme Libre. Been one of my favorites since junior year of high school. Love the smell of this one, and my girlfriend does too!

EDIT: Just saw you don't want to spend over 50. I wouldn't put a price cap on a fragrance that low. YSL and many other designer frags will run you closer to 100 but the extra money is very well worth it. Some may rebuttal me on this, but I've never smelled anything that appeals to me for under $50, but then yet maybe I haven't smelled enough!
    Last edited by nKelly95; 7th April 2014 at 10:47 PM.

Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche. I promise you all the girls will compliment you on your scent! I'm not sure if it's unisex but a man can pull it off easily, it's quite masculine. But I don't think you can get it for 50 bucks maybe smallest bottle. Well worth it tho IMO. I sprayed some on my man and let me tell you, wow just wow instant aphrodisiac and he knew it too, he was looking for my bottle to see the name of it and buy some for himself, but there is no way I'm telling him, he will not walk around smelling like that without me by his side! lol

Curve (yellow bottle) is also really good and that one is inexpensive and available at Walmart or Drugstores, but don't let that turn you off, it's considered to be a "panty dropper" most girls love it.

Don't try to get the Chanel for cheap on evilbay most likely it will be a fake.

Carson's, Nordstrom, Sephora, Kohls (although you won't find YSL), hmm.. Shocking there's no macys nearby, can't think of too much more besides like Neiman Marcus and I doubt that will be around your area if macys isn't..
    Otherwise like others have mentioned buy a sample from decantshop, which is unfortunately going to run you some decent money after all is said and done if multiple are purchased. I would give the original L'Homme (personally had to return it -- wasn't anything special for me) and Libre a try, La Nuit is probably a little ahead of your age. When I purchased my bottle at 18 I felt too young as is, sure enough I was crazy since it's a wonderful scent! However this is one my dad likes to steal. I stick with my suggestion of L'Homme Libre, I truly love this scent and it's a definite crowd pleaser on my skin. Got it over 2 years ago and love it just as much as I did the first day I purchased it! My guess is that you too will like it a lot!

Chanel homme sport. Regular or eau extreme doesn't matter. Done.

I went to belk today and suprisingly they had Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme. I smelled that, the polo line up, curve, Bleu de Chanel and some others. For some reason with the Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme i got this weird old man vibe and didn't like it very much. The rest were pretty good but my favorite was tommy bahama compass. Even my mom and sister both said that was their favorite too. Anyone else smelled that one before?

hc729: Let's follow that thought a moment. You got an old man vibe from YSL L'homme. Did you also get that from Bleu de Chanel? I ask because it's always helpful to figure out what notes are a no-go for you.

I'd strongly recommend you check out Hanae Mori HM. It's crazy cheap considering how good it is, and it has a vibe that might be great for you even though it doesn't smell like a high school scent.

Nautica Voyage is an easy one to recommend, especially with summer on the way.

Boss Bottled is another that could be exactly what you're looking for. Or not. Only you can know for sure, but finding out is half the fun.

Also, this:

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Go to the mall and smell the fragrances. Pick the one that you like most. It's that simple!
    He's right. Taste is subjective and only you can know what smells best to you. The only way to find out is to smell them. Here's my advice for how.

Go to the mall. Smell a bunch. Pick the best of the bunch and spray it on your arm. Live with it for the rest of the day to see how it evolves. Most fragrances change on skin over time. By that, I mean, the smell changes because some parts of it fade away as others reveal themselves more clearly. Smell a bunch. Wear the best for the day. Try again another day.

The other thing that's very helpful is to bring a pen & a small pad of paper. Jot down the names of everything you try along with a quick thought about it. It doesn't matter what you write. The point is to have something so that, when you get home, you can look up everything you tried on fragrantica.com and compare what you wrote to the listed notes. You'll start to notice patterns. For example, when I did this, I realized that I didn't enjoy any of the stuff I smelled that had a lot of vetiver. As you figure things like that out, you'll be able to find frags that will thrill you.

Good luck!

These links should be helpful too.

"Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    hc729: Let's follow that thought a moment. You got an old man vibe from YSL L'homme. Did you also get that from Bleu de Chanel? I ask because it's always helpful to figure out what notes are a no-go for you.

I'd strongly recommend you check out Hanae Mori HM. It's crazy cheap considering how good it is, and it has a vibe that might be great for you even though it doesn't smell like a high school scent.

Nautica Voyage is an easy one to recommend, especially with summer on the way.

Boss Bottled is another that could be exactly what you're looking for. Or not. Only you can know for sure, but finding out is half the fun.

Also, this:

He's right. Taste is subjective and only you can know what smells best to you. The only way to find out is to smell them. Here's my advice for how.

Go to the mall. Smell a bunch. Pick the best of the bunch and spray it on your arm. Live with it for the rest of the day to see how it evolves. Most fragrances change on skin over time. By that, I mean, the smell changes because some parts of it fade away as others reveal themselves more clearly. Smell a bunch. Wear the best for the day. Try again another day.

The other thing that's very helpful is to bring a pen & a small pad of paper. Jot down the names of everything you try along with a quick thought about it. It doesn't matter what you write. The point is to have something so that, when you get home, you can look up everything you tried on fragrantica.com and compare what you wrote to the listed notes. You'll start to notice patterns. For example, when I did this, I realized that I didn't enjoy any of the stuff I smelled that had a lot of vetiver. As you figure things like that out, you'll be able to find frags that will thrill you.

Good luck!

These links should be helpful too.
    The Bleu de Chanel was definetely my second choice and I didn't get the old man vibe from that. I didn't spray the tommy bahama on my arm but i did spray the YSL L'homme on my arm and I do think that it gets better the longer I have it on, but the smell still doesn't appeal to me as much.