Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Monday, 7 April, 2014

Hello lovely people,

I’m in Sydney (birthday gift to myself). Heading to a degustation dinner at Quay tonight and attending the Handa Opera production of Madame Butterfly at Sydney Harbour tomorrow night. I can’t decide if my ears or tummy is more excited. I figured what I need is someone to travel the world with and geek out on opera, ballet, perfume, wine and food.

Brava to Cello our clever Chanel ‘dope’ pusher for BN as the World Turns post. She came, she spritz, she Chaneled. I’m looking forward to the next instalment.

((Ineespenes)) how can I not hug you for wearing vintage Cuir de Russie? You smelled fan-bloody-tastic, hope you had a wonderful time.

Mike vintage Guerlain?! Cannot wait to find out what you’ve got there.

((Jujy)) wishing you well for your surgery on Wednesday. I loved your opera heroine and perfume analysis. What say you to Gilda, Carmen, Violetta?

ErinK Yay the Wildcats!

Shades I’m enjoying Daim Blond it fills the fruity leather gap in my wardrobe nicely

Only packed a couple of fragrances with me so it's Habit Rouge today and 1980’s Mitsouko parfum this evening. Tomorrow I'll be in my Christmas present to myself 1950’s Cuir de Russie vintage extrait for the opera but spend the day in 1980’s Mitsouko parfum because it’s Madame Butterfly after all. I think after this week I’d have party enough and will revert to my hermit state to catch up on my studies.
    Last edited by Xscent; 8th April 2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: posting with my iPhone, bound to be an edit or two.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Monday, 7 April, 2014

Good morning,

Etro - Gomma

Hi everyone - have a super day!

Zahd.

Blog Entries

Morning all!

lt's a cold, wet & windy Monday here, & so l'm needing a warmer floral today; wearing Donna Karan Gold for work.

Have a good week, everyone.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Bonjour Mesdames!
    Azzaro PH Intense, vintage

Good morning!

jujy54, I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery!

A hazy, rainy day, matching my mood. I am very stressed because my younger daughter
    is taking exams tomorrow and the day after for Abitur and she has not enough time to study everything.
    She thinks she will be cut in the oral exam for Latin and she will not take the diploma after all the studing...
    It was our mistake, because she is trying to take Greek and German exams at the same time, and it has proved to be too much for her...

Trying to lift my mood, I chose to wear

Geranium Bourbon - Miller Harris

Basenotes Plus

Morning everyone! In Odalisque by Parfums de Nicolai this morning. It is a strange blustery day, with sunshine and warmth but a cold edge to let us know that winter is not 100% over just yet.

Dora - I am "just up the road" from you in Montenegro! I hope it all works out for your daughter. Several years down the line, you will both look back on this and be able to laugh about it. I remember making a costly mistake in one of my French leaving cert exams (answered the questions in French when the questions were in English, which is a big no no, but I was too stressed out to notice). I was so afraid of my mum's reaction that I hid in the toilets after the exam and the nuns had to physically remove me when it came time to close the school. Looking back, neither my mum nor I can believe we were so stressed out about it. I wish for you and your daughter some calm, serenity and perspective! I bet you made sure she knows you love her, no matter what the results, that's the important thing :-)

Xscent - wow, what a wonderful, wonderful trip! Enjoy yourself!

Good morning everyone Feels like I've just "landed" after La boheme on saturday It was great, but not sure if my "date" for the show is that interested...or maybe just shy. At least I got his number Sotd is Tam Dao. Have a great day all ! And happy birthday to Ida

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Dior New Look 1947 for me.

Wish you all a great start to your week.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Monday, 7 April, 2014

VETIVER
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

754 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

queen of the universe

P1040067.jpg

Xscent, I'm off to work, will get back to you on opera/perfume. Noir today. Vintage Weil, mentholated tuberose + leather.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Hello all.

Laura Mercier L'Heure Magique
    DONNA

YSL, Opium Eau d'ete

Attachment 27094

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Viktor & Rolf Antidote this AM. Looking for a high of 87 F today. Winter is officially over when we hit the mid/high 80s mid-day, although an overnight in the 50s F is predicted for later this week.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Good morning, everyone!

First of all, thank you for all your sweet and thoughtful sentiments regarding my mother and Sylvie. Mom's still struggling, but she's getting a little better every day, and I do think our time together helped. I showed her the thread here full of good wishes, and she was clearly very touched, so thanks again for being so kind. Your words mean so much more than you'll ever know. ♥

So, I'm home now and very glad to be getting back into a routine for a couple of months, though I'm already looking forward to going back to Angers for the summer, and Paris, a *happy* holiday this time including Tony and three of our six kitties (no quarantine for pets entering France - hooray!) I've got my regular ballet and barre classes today and Wednesday, but then I'll be training the new barre instructor, so if that goes well (fingers crossed) I'll be a student for the last few weeks, which is just fine by me - I'll take the workout without the responsibility, no prob!

I'm in vintage Infini for the morning, 70s parfum with a light flourish of pdt.

Y'all have a fantastic day!

Mike - I thought of you on the long flight home as I binge-watched the entire 6th season of Mad Men ...so excellent, so moving. But omg, *poor* Don ...so sad, so tormented.

Erin - Any word yet? No matter, I'm happy to keep 'em crossed as long as you need.

Xscent - what fun, sounds like the party still hasn't ended, lol! Have a *wonderful* time.

Mocha - what part of the Loire Valley were you in? We plan to see every bit of it this summer, but there's a *lot* of ground to cover and dozens upon dozens of chateaux, so any personal tips you have would be most welcome.

I see y'all have been here a little while, but I've been away, so belated hellos and welcomes to ClaireV and TheOpiumJuices - it's a pleasure to meet you!

Hugs to everyone still feeling under the weather or facing surgery (jujy, Quarry, Mike, RHM, anyone else?) and also to the rest of you ...it's just so nice to hug such beautifully fragrant people.

Editing to add an extra hug for ((*dora*)).
    Last edited by Evangeline; 7th April 2014 at 01:05 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Back to work today in Chanel Coromandel (my own little binge right now Have a great day everyone!!!

Basenotes Plus

Hi everyone! Very foggy here this morning, but a sunny day expected later.

Wishing you all the best, Jujy, on your upcoming surgery. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

So glad to see you back, Evangeline!

Have a wonderful trip, Xscent, it sounds like a great time!

Wearing Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Flora Rosa this morning. With notes of red berries, rose, iris and musk.

Have a great day!

Good morning, good smelling ones.

Jujy, best wishes for a successful surgery and swift recovery.

Today in Narcotic Flowers by 1000 flowers, the same lady who designed Reglisse Noire. This is sort of the anti-Reglisse Noire. (I LOVE Reglisse Noire). Reglisse is cold, airy, inhuman, beautiful. Crystalline cloud of licorice fog. The Narcotic Flowers has rose and spices. It is warm and almost salty, skin smelling, very human. Stays close, fades (too soon, IMO) into a nice skin smell. Still restrained, I think that's her style, but inside-out from her first scent. It does smell good.

Good morning!

Evangeline! Have missed you 'round these parts. Welcome back! I know it must have felt good to be home, and now that the worst should be over you can look forward to going back with Tony! Nope, no word yet. I expected to hear Friday (although that really would have been quick) but didn't -- I'm hoping I will know something today. So please keep fingers crossed until further notice.

Speaking of Mad Men, I watched the JFK episode on Season 3 last night. What a great episode.

ClaireV, LOL! Love your story about hiding in the toilets and being physically removed by the nuns. So funny.

Xscent
    , girl, you sure know how to live it up. Have a great time in Sydney!

Ineespenes, you got his number, so don't be bummed out yet. Just see where it goes from here! Glad you went and had a great time (and smelled dee-lish-ous!).

It's gray and rainy here today, but I don't care, I'm too excited about the championship game tonight to notice. GO BIG BLUE!!!

I'm in No.5 Eau Premiere. (Will be in Iris Prima later, naturally, for the Cats - I believe I have worn it every KY game of the NCAA tournament and wouldn't dream of switching it up now!)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Basenotes Institution

Xscent - wow you really do take good care of yourself girl...Sydney!? Have a blast. Love the idea of a pairing of Mitsouko with Madame Butterfly
    ClaireV - great story about your childhood. I remember once being called out of class, in 2nd grade, because the girl next to me cheated off of my test, and the teacher noticed she & I had exactly the same answers on a test. She reprimanded both of us and I remember bursting into tears and really getting upset about it...so much that the girl who cheated off of my test had to console me and tell me to 'man up'. LOL. I forgot about that. The things we go crazy about when we're young. Thank goodness with age and wisdom come also a welcome feeling of acceptance and serenity.
    Evangeline - welcome back to your home and routine...glad to hear that you & Mom are healing. Be gentle with yourselves. Glad you got to see Season 6 of Mad Men. Wasn't it just the most bizarre story lines imaginable. The episode where they called a 'doctor' in and he gave all the guys a shot - that was the most bizarre and surreal television I've seen in a while. Reminded me of Twin Peaks or something like that.

I'm feeling back to normal - no more coughing, no more sneezing or congestion - although my voice still sounds a bit Lauren Bacall-ish - which is great because when someone calls me on the phone I can play like I'm sick and get lots of attention. Silly but true.

A woman, about a couple weeks ago, emailed the blogger Robin at Now Smell This and asked Robin to send me a message, because she read a post of mine on NST and I mentioned I loved Mysore Sandalwood. The woman used to own an aromatherapy company and she has all of this unused oils & she told me she wanted to send me some Mysore Sandalwood to smell. I was blown away - I don't even know this woman. So sweet! I thanked her profusely, even though she didn't want any reciprocal exchange, she just really wanted to know how I liked the oil. I just got the oil today - I haven't even cracked it open yet. But I just wanted to share about that. Isn't that nice!?

Wanted something 'dirty' so it was easy to reach for:

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

The nicest, most gentlemanly 'dirty' I own.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. Great to have you back with us, Mrs E

Xscent, I ought to take a leaf out of your book for my next birthday. A long celebration culminating in an indulgent city break sounds like a great idea - enjoy !. (pleased that the Daim Blond is filling a niche and proving to be an enjoyable experience).

Jujy, will be thinking of you on Wednesday. You'll be fine .

*dora*, wishing your daughter all the best for tomorrow

Erin, doing synchronised crossing of fingers with Mrs E

Bel Ami today.

Glad you are feeling better, Mike . (what an incredibly nice lady - so thoughtful of her)
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th April 2014 at 02:57 PM.

Mike, OH MY GOSH, that was so nice of her!! What a wonderful story - thank you for sharing! It is yet another example of how unbelievably thoughtful, generous, and helpful perfume people can be. It *has to be* a rare community these days in which people will reach out like that to offer someone they don't even know the chance to experience something. So beautiful.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

M Generation by Mauboussin

Wearing Molinard Nirmala.

Good day to each of you. You all smell incredible......duh!

Jujy, wishing you a smooth surgery and an even smoother recovery.

ErinK, still rooting for you girl. And since my Cats went down in the 8, I'll root for yours tonight!

Xscent, what a lovely lovely time you seem to be having. I'm a mouse in your handbag, don't let me frighten you dear, I won't eat much.

Mike, glad to here you are felling better, enjoyed your story. Isn't memory lane fun, well except of course, when it's not.

Dora, best wishes to your DD.

I'm getting settled back I at home after our Georgia visit, missing the Pants, but glad to be reacquainted with Zahd today, in whose cloud I'm getting about!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Happy Monday everyone. It's back to gray and coldish, so I took that as an excuse to wear Shalimar again. Because with all apologies to my favorite fictional family, spring is coming.

Jujy, good luck with your surgery; I'm sure it will go swimmingly.

Evangeline, we were mostly in Centre-Val de Loire. I am totally a city person, but I loved the everyday pleasures of the relatively quiet countryside -- the wide blue skies, the charming hotels and inns and the wonderful food. It was a great place to putter around and picnic. The slow life. The chateaux of course are amazing, not just Amboise and Chenonceau but some of the smaller ones, too. We avoided the larger cities and stayed in the countryside.

Basenotes Plus

Sticking with Hermes for the evening - TDH Parfum.

Good evening all I had a short, but busy shift today :0 Not feeling terribly focused today ( due to a certain guy). Xscent : thanks for the Cuir de russie suggestion It was perfect. ErinK I hope you're right. I'll just give it some time SotE is Mystere. My classy, but feeling like solitude scent.Big hug to those in need of one
    Last edited by ineespenes; 7th April 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Ambra Tibet by Ava luxe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

House twins with Roberto today in Santa Maria Novella Angels of Florence. I bought a bottle this weekend from a local indie shop that has given me at least two samples of this over the last two years - I figured it was time to finally pull the trigger. Fortunately, the weather decided to be warm and sunny today, because this perfume deserves a beautiful day.

Mike, Mouchoir de Monsieur sounds very interesting for my Guerlain Ho of a spouse. I will have to arrange for a sample to fall into his path sometime.

Blog Entries

Mike; OMG at the Mysore oil, you lucky thing! Do tell us how it is?

Wearing Dior Addict this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hey again, y'all -

Thanks for the welcome back - it's always good to be home! I've had some time to read through a few of the threads I've missed, and inspired by the recent wave of appreciation for it, I'm in Iris Silver Mist this afternoon ...other lovely irises come and go, but none can top ISM. ♥

mike - what a nice story! I'm frequently amazed by the generosity and thoughtfulness of perfume-lovers, always wanting to share the wealth ...such a lovely community. And yes, that was a bizzaro MM episode, indeed! What in the world was in that shot??

Hi there, Kiliwia - glad to know there's finally some sun in your part of the world!

Thanks, Mocha - we're really looking forward to the slow life in the French countryside, as well.

And hello to you too, teardrop - smellin' *gorgeous*, as always.

Hugs to ((Jon)), ((Erin)) and ((Wolfie)), just because it's been a while.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Time for my bedtime cocoa .....

^^ Hehe, you are *too* sweet!

Blog Entries

Thanks Evangeline, big virtual hugs being sent to you!

(((Hugs to all who are in need)))!!!
    Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

SotE - White Fire by Tiziana Terenzi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

jujy54, I wish you a rapid recovery from your surgery! Thinking of you & sending fragrant hugs your way.

SOTD was Estee Lauder Azuree; the current incarnation of this lovely & often overlooked scent. I enjoyed Victoria's review of the vintage here; http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/05/este...me-review.html and Angela's from NST here: http://www.nstperfume.com/2007/05/11...erfume-review/

I find it interesting that it, like my beloved Chamade were released in 1969. Two more scents Angela mentions released that year were Dioressence & Calandre; love these two, as well. Guess 1969 is "my" year for fragrance. As well as, landing a man on the moon, Woodstock & my all time favorite car, 1969 Mustang.

Do you find you have a year where you love quite a few of the scents released that year?
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Sharing the evening love of Hermes in a little Kelly Caleche EDT, my summer leather. Although more aptly described by me as soft floral over a suede. This is not a love, but instead just a comfortable and easy wear.

I think I will join Erin in watching the Wildcats tonight. My sister lives in KY, and I visit often. Might as well join in!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Christian Dior Bois d'Argent Cologne tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Institution

Ended the day in Marni by Marni

Always makes me think of Momma Quarry when I wear this, hope she's feeling better.

matildaben - I'm sending you a PM now
    danieq - Oh that's right, you've got Zahd in your wardrobe now...isn't it a wild ride?
    CapriDog - what an awesome picture you posted - love it.
    RHM - I haven't researched what year most of my favorites are from...I'm going to pay more attention to that. The things we fume-heads think about...it's amazing, eh?

I haven't tried my Mysore Sandalwood oil yet because this is undiluted oil and I really am afraid of putting it directly on my skin as I might be sensitive to it, so I have to buy some carrier (jojoba) oil from my local health food store tomorrow and once I have it, I'll apply some on my skin.

More good news: My vintage Bois de Iles Eau de Cologne arrived!

And it smells AWESOME! It's top notes are minimally damaged but the middle and base notes are solidly intact. OMGOMGOMG. I'm SO wearing this tomorrow as my SOTD!!!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th April 2014 at 01:36 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

cello: YAY! So glad you're cheering the Cats on with me. The first half was a MESS but that has sort of become this team's trademark....second half they should come alive like they have been doing the past 4 games of this tourney.

RHM, so glad to see the Grouch grinning today!!

Mike, that's a thing of beauty.

SOTE is Iris Prima and I just noticed it's now my 3rd most worn...which isn't anywhere close to correct (nothing will ever top Infusion d'Iris, but who's counting) but I was still surprised to see how quickly it marched up the chart! This one might be deemed FBW after all.

Oh, Erin, so sorry about the loss!!! But you smelled great, and that had to count for something!

Blog Entries

There was a thread here recently about "your favourite year for fragrance launches".

Edit; here it is!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/377...Very-Good-Year
    Last edited by teardrop; 8th April 2014 at 05:44 AM.