Code of Conduct

Thread: CK Be?

Default CK Be?

Just got hold of some Kenneth Cole Black. There's two things I would like to know here and that's...I read in a previous thread that it's okay for a guy to wear women's perfumes as well as men's. I mean how would you know? What is the general opinion on that? And secondly this 'Black' smells very close to CK Be. I find it just as sweet, but seems to differ slightly the more you smell it. It's also powerful stuff so it's lasting ability could be pretty good.

Default Re: CK Be?

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    I read in a previous thread that it's okay for a guy to wear women's perfumes as well as men's. I mean how would you know? What is the general opinion on that?
    There's nothing to know about that fact. The thing is that pretty much only people who know their way around fragrances occasionally wear women's perfume because they appreciate the difference. If you go out telling people you wear a fragrance designed for women you will most-likely be considered gay, which I personally find a very sad thing to judge people by, but that's how it goes. You either don't tell anyone and leave them to wonder what that good smell is or you tell them what's up.

I don't mean to intimidate you, I'm just trying to give you an idea of what to expect.

I do encourage you to wear whatever your nose desires. I myself wear fragrances made for women as well.

Yeah no that's fine. I wouldn't tell anyone obviously. Thanks for that though

In my personal opinion, CK Be is appropriate enough for both genders, and not just due to being labelled as unisex, also easily worn as a male fragrance. Its sweetness may seem a bit androgynous, but not more so than many contemporary gourmands instantly perceived and identified as male fragrances.

I agree..a man can wear whatever the hell he wants to. But seriously there are fragrances that are way too feminine. There is that one by clinique aromatics i think its called...how could a man pull that off?? I personally love bronze goddess but im not going to wear it just because i like it...

Like Ken Russel said, CK Be is a fine unisex scent IMO.(I find it slightly more masculine then CK One the other unisex scent from them) I don't have any problem wearing it and my GF sometimes "steals" it and will wear it as well....I just hate the terrible longevity Be has. Now KC Black to me comes off as MUCH more masculine to my nose, because on my skin the incense and musty notes really come out after the initial blast of citrus burns off in the first 20-30mins. And also agree with you on KC Black's longevity...it's very good on me!

I've always like Kenneth Cole Black as a scent with presence and have a bottle.
    I've smelled CK Be dozens of times over the years, and have always passed as it seemed like a nothing of a scent to me.

Clearly our perceptions differ greatly.

The discussion about men wearing women's scents have been had hundreds of times here.
    A few oddities keep coming up, as well as the general consensus that obviously you can wear whatever you want.

One oddity is that there is one group who claim that our perceptions of whether a scent is masculine or feminine is all due to conditioning and marketing and brainwashing, that scents have no gender, and they claim that they genuinely can't tell any difference between the two types of scents. However, if you check the discussion about women's scents being worn by men, it always involves only several dozens of women's scents - which is a drop in the ocean, compared to the total number out there. I always ask how come no one ever says that they are wearing Miss Cherie Dior, Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely or Brittany Spears Circus Fantasy? And there was indeed one chap who replied that he did wear Miss Cherie Dior - but he's been the only one in the dozen or so years I've asked the question.

There is another group who claim that they can tell the difference, and they often to me seem to wear women's scents the same as for the first group, that either have the odd woody or other masculine note in them, or scents which I'd class as being unisex or on the feminine side of unisex (i.e. not outright girlie scents) or feminine classics like Chanel 5 and 19.

And then there are scents like JPG's Fleur Du Male, which my wife has banned me from ever buying or wearing, as she asserts that she doesn't want me smelling like a girl.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 7th April 2014 at 07:31 PM.

Does CK Be smell like Kenneth Cole Black? I like KC Black, but I haven't sniffed CK Be. That one seems like it might be kind of under the radar. I think most people write it off as generic (or something?) but it also has some really enthusiastic fans. I'm curious about it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Recall trying CK Be and didn't care for it. For that matter didn't care much for CK One either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I was out the weekend before last and someone asked me what i was wearing (yes you guessed it, aventus) they then proceeded to look it up on there phone and there face changed when they must of seen the price, but they didnt comment on it any further lol. They then went on to tell me they was wearing this CK Be, but to be honest i couldnt smell anything at all, even when i put my face right up close to his chin/neck.

Im actually under the impression its the opposite, quite weak.
    Last edited by DMA; 7th April 2014 at 08:46 PM.

I don't think I've actually smelled CK Be since the late 1990s, but I remember really liking it. I do also enjoy the Kenneth Cole fragrance.

I enjoyed both CK One and CK Be back in the 90s and definitely remember CK Be as the weaker of the two.

I purchased a bottle of Kenneth Cole Black shortly after its release and while I remember it being pleasant enough, I still preferred the CK fragrances. That said, I haven't smelled KC Black in over 10 years.

Have a bottle of CK Be from the 90s. It's nice for when you don't really feel like wearing a fragrance. Just a nondescript white musk. Doesn't smell like KC Black, actually it reminds me of Gendarme.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Have a bottle of CK Be from the 90s. It's nice for when you don't really feel like wearing a fragrance. Just a nondescript white musk. Doesn't smell like KC Black, actually it reminds me of Gendarme.
    Yes, exactly...it's kind of the anti-fragrance fragrance. For when you want to wear something, but need/want to be discrete.(church,hospital, ect.)

How does CK be compare to Gendarme?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Been a long time since I smelt Gendarme...but I remember it being like a light citrus soapy(jasmine?)smell, where CK Be is more like a lavender/white musk dryer sheet clean to me. Both super clean smelling and light, just in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Gendarme smells basically smells like Mugler Cologne or Original Vetiver (without the vetiver).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk