Code of Conduct

Default Add Comme des Garcons Wonderwood to the Encre Noire/Sycomore Conversation

I tried a little sample of CdG Wonderwood today, and I think its similar to Encre Noir and Sycomore.
    Encre Noire seems darkest.
    Sycomore seems more raw and smoky.
    Wonderwood seems more of a blend, but that vetiver note really pops for me, stands out from the rest of the notes.

Anyone else smell all of these and see similarities?
    For the raw, earthy vetiver lover, it seems Encre Noire is the best value.
    Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Ralph Lauren - Polo Modern Reserve
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee

Default Re: Add Comme des Garcons Wonderwood to the Encre Noire/Sycomore Conversation

I remember finding Wonderwood more similar to Diptique Tam Dao EdT than Encre Noir and Sycomore...but it's been a while since I've tried them. Something didn't do it for me with Wonderwood, and I'm a huge lover of wood fragrances and the house of Comme des Garcons as well. It was this strong green note (could have been the bergamot) that just didn't seem to belong with the wonderful dry aesthetic of the fragrance.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Default Re: Add Comme des Garcons Wonderwood to the Encre Noire/Sycomore Conversation

Uhm... I honestly disagree, I find Encre Noire and Sycomore fairly close (and both close to Malle's Vetiver Extraordinarie), but I don't think they are similar to Wonderwood - it lacks in that kind of round "wet paint/glue" smell.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

Not similar to me. Tons of sandalwood, and a little oud in WW (hence the name). I don't get any of that from the other 2.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I remember finding Wonderwood more similar to Diptique Tam Dao EdT than Encre Noir and Sycomore..
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Uhm... I honestly disagree, I find Encre Noire and Sycomore fairly close
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Not similar to me. Tons of sandalwood, and a little oud in WW (hence the name). I don't get any of that from the other 2.

Agree with these statements. Sycomore and EN are close (subtle differences), where Wonderwood is much more of a sandalwood scent to me. Far creamier, etc. than the vetiver-heavy Sycomore and EN. But I really enjoy all of them.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Wonderwood is a Mysore sandalwood centered scent with som cedar.
    Sycomore has some sandalwood but its a vetiver and sandal dominated scent.
    Encre Noire is a dark Vetiver with no connection to Wonderwood.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 10th April 2014 at 04:58 PM.

I understand the comparison of Encre Noire with Sycomore. Don't get the similarity with Wonderwood.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I understand the comparison of Encre Noire with Sycomore. Don't get the similarity with Wonderwood.
    It must be the vetiver note sticking out to my nose.
    When I smell all 3, I get vetiver pretty strongly.
    The dry downs are more dissimilar.

Just my opinion.
    I was curious to see how others felt about it, its seems I am alone on the comparison.
    Top 5
    Kiton - Men

Blog Entries

I dislike both EN and Sycomore, and will give these two negative rating each.

Wonderwood on the other hand is a fantastic juice, tons of wood after the pepper, masculine, unique, and it lasts a long time on my skin.

Don't see any similarities... at all...

I got a lot of similarities between WW and EN (haven't tried Sycomore yet) at first sniff. But it's been awhile since I've tried WW and I never really tested them side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    It must be the vetiver note sticking out to my nose.
    When I smell all 3, I get vetiver pretty strongly.
    The dry downs are more dissimilar.

Just my opinion.
    I was curious to see how others felt about it, its seems I am alone on the comparison.
    Thats not vetiver your smelling that ISO-e Super , and that used in many fragrances, but none the less WW is a woody sandalwood bomb, its creamy and almost a buttery sandalwood,
    I have all 3 of them. While EN and Sycomore are related, WW is a totally different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Thats not vetiver your smelling that ISO-e Super , and that used in many fragrances, but none the less WW is a woody sandalwood bomb, its creamy and almost a buttery sandalwood,
    I have all 3 of them. While EN and Sycomore are related, WW is a totally different animal.
    Really?
    I own A&F Fierce and Terre d'Hermes Parfum, two of the biggest ISO-e fragrances ever, and I dont get the same earthy, dirty, rooty olfactory hit.
    Time to revisit I guess.
    I cant say I know what ISO-e Super really smells like, I've heard its woody, like cedar.
    Top 5
    Kiton - Men

Funny. First time I sniffed WW the first thing I thought of was EN. So I for one agree that they are similar indeed.
    Sycomore is not as dry as EN and WW.
    My favorite of the three is Sycomore and I hope to buy a FB one day.

Really?
    I own A&F Fierce and Terre d'Hermes Parfum, two of the biggest ISO-e fragrances ever, and I dont get the same earthy, dirty, rooty olfactory hit.
    Time to revisit I guess.
    I cant say I know what ISO-e Super really smells like, I've heard its woody, like cedar.
    Fierce is not a ISO-e Super centered fragrance , and its no where the biggest ISO-e super bomb. Molecule 01 and Poivre Samarcande along with many JCE creations had huge doses of it as it is one of the signature notes he uses in his fragrances. IFRA has limited usage to 21% roughly now.

Fierce is built around a synthetic ocean accord, I am guessing cascalone but it could be another variant.

Most people are anosmic to ISO-e super, its used in conjunction with other notes, in the same way aldehydes are used with florals or in the same way civet is blended with florals.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Most people are anosmic to ISO-e super.
    If most people are anosmic to it, why did you suggest ISO-e Super is what I am smelling?
    Fierce is up there on ISO-E Super.
    Top 5
    Kiton - Men

If most people are anosmic to it, why did you suggest ISO-e Super is what I am smelling?
    Fierce is up there on ISO-E Super.
    Because its notes come out in conjunction with other notes. On its own its inert, in conjuction with other notes its woody deep trail does come out.
    While most of that list is correct, I am highly suspicious of Fierce having that much, the oceanic cascalone note is front and center.

Haven't smelled Encre Noir but Wonderwood and Sycomore smells nothing similar to me, one is a very weak mediocre woody scent that centered around sandalwood (Wonderwood), one smells almost like a vetiver essential oil with not much added to it (Sycomore)

Sorry to say I don't see it either. I get no vetiver from Wonderwood, and it to my nose tends towards a creamy sandalwood rather than dry/scratchy woods. That and it seems very sweet to me. The sweet + creamy + nutmeg overdose makes WW smell like a wood and custard tart to me.

guess WW would make great layering with EN!

Basenotes Plus

All three are lovely, but the Encre Noire is still the stand out for me, as much as I love the CdG. But, I would have to add that I find those two to be quite different. I have to try Sycomore again. I remember it being unique, but not so that it made a huge impression. It may be that I've just been under Encre Noire's spell for far too long though. I'll still waiting for something new to upend me like that one.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________“Odors have a power of persuasion stronger than that of words, appearances, emotions, or will. The persuasive power of an odor cannot be fended off, it enters into us like breath into our lungs, it fills us up, imbues us totally. There is no remedy for it.”
    ― Patrick Süskind, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I think the link you find is something related to the woody / incensey facet provided by Iso.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I think the link you find is something related to the woody / incensey facet provided by Iso.
    This. Both share an overdose of that - which is why I don't like both (as I don't like most of these so-called "new vetivers": Guerlain is still the uncomparable best).
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

They have similarities in that they all use a combination of these woods: vetiver, sandalwood and cedarwood.

Wonderwood: all three
    Sycomore: vetiver and sandalwood
    Encre Noire: vetiver and maybe some sandalwood

The Encre Noire - Sycomore conversation usually goes like this:

Someone: "Encre Noire smells like Sycomore!"
    Me: "Apart from the vetiver, no, it doesn't."

It's like someone saying one symphony sounds like another because they both have violins. Having smelled Wonderwood, I can say with all honesty that it's very much a different composition than either of the above.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Yes they're all woody but WW is very different from those two.

There's absolutely no oud in WW.

for swap/sale:

I actually find CDC Artek more similar to the other two, than WW. A kind of pine like dry vetiver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    * Current Favourites *
    Amouage: Lyric Man & Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma
    Serge Lutens: Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit