Code of Conduct

Default Robes08's Top 100 Designer Fragrances List

Robes08 (Marc) is a popular Youtube reviewer who put out a list of his top 100 favorite fragrances.

I didn't post this list because his opinion was better than anyone else's though I think the sheer amount of fragrances he sampled makes him qualified to make such a list. He presented this list as his personal opinion. Not fact. Also, I posted this up because it's accessible, comprehensive and probably good for starters looking for recommendations to Sample

100. CK One Shock
    99. Lacoste Red
    98. Paul Smith Man
    97. Paul Smith Story
    96. CK Summer 08
    95. Ice Men (Mugler)
    94. Tommy Hilfiger's Tommy
    93. Dolce and Gabanna's Light Blue
    92. Hermes Voyage
    91. Kouros
    90. CK Be
    89. 212 Men
    88. Tomny Bahama St. Barts
    87, Antaeus
    86. Xeryus Rogue
    85. CK One
    84. DSquared Potion
    83. Taste of Fragrance ("Pure Chili")
    82. Abercrombie Fierce
    81. Bleu de Chanel
    80. Homme Eau Guerlain
    79. Black XS
    78. Kenzo Tokyo
    77. Polo Blue
    76. Cool Water

Personal opinion:
    A lot of big-name fragrances that had to be included in any list for their importance, but he probably didn't enjoy wearing them as much as his other ones. Would probably put CK One, Polo Blue, Bleu de Chanel and Cool Water in the top 75. Haven't tried Black XS.

75 John Varvatos Vintage,
    74 Gaultier Squared,
    73 Fahrenheit Aqua,
    72 Fahrenheit 32,
    71 Spicebomb,
    70 Bulgari The Vert
    69 Kenzo Power
    68 Caron L'Anarchiste
    67 Tom Ford Extreme
    66 Fahrenheit Absolute
    65 Marc Jacobs Man
    64 Prada Amber Intense
    63 Hermes Jardin Sur Le Nil
    62 Hanae Mori HM
    61 Burberry Touch
    60 Platinum Egoiste
    59 Gucci Envy
    58 Givenchy Play Intense
    57 Versace Pour Homme
    56 Joop
    55 Fuel for Life
    54 Body Kouros
    53 Rive Gauche
    52 Bulgari Aqua
    51 Rochas Man

Personal opinion:

Not a fan of Fahrenheit flankers, Rochas Man, Varvatos and a few of the others. But I largely support the other choices. Maybe Burberry Touch and Platinum Egoiste could've been a bit higher though.

50. D&G By Man,
    49. Guerlain L'Instant Extreme,
    48. Fleur de Male,
    47. Guerlain Homme,
    46. L'eau de Issey,
    45. Acqua Di Gio,
    44. Givenchy Pi,
    43. D&G The One,
    42. Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin,
    41. Armani Code,
    40. Pure Havane,
    39 Grey Vetiver,
    38 Guerlain Vetiver,
    37 Lancome Hypnose,
    36 Escada Magnetism,
    35 Mugler Cologne,
    34 Hermes Bel Ami,
    33 Chanel Egoiste,
    32 DSquared Rocky Mountain Wood,
    31 Allure Homme Sport
    30 Viktor and Rolf Antidote
    29 Dior Homme Sport
    28 Burberry Brit
    27 Prada Infusion
    26 The Dreamer

Personal opinion:
    Dreamer is high, but it is love and hate. I'd switch Burberry's Brit and Touch. Antidote, Guerlain L'Instant, and Fleur De Male wouldn't be on my list at all. Havane, D&G fragrances and Grey Vetiver would be lower. Agree with most the others though.

25. M7
    24. Chanel Allure Homme,
    23 D&G Pour Homme,
    22 Narcisso Rodriguez,
    21 Terre D' Hermes,
    20 Prada Amber,
    19 Burberry London,
    18 Bulgari Black,
    17 Issey Miyake Summer 2009,
    16 Chanel Allure Blanche,
    15 Gucci Pour Homme,
    14 YSL L'homme,
    13 Gucci Pour Homme II,
    12 YSL La Nuit,
    11 Cartier Roadster
    10 1 Million
    9 Pure Coffee
    8 Dior Homme
    7 Fahrenheit
    6 Hugo Boss Bottled
    5 Encre Noir
    4 Dior Homme Intense
    3 Pure Malt
    2. Angel Men
    1. Le Male

Personal opinion:
    He loves his gourmands. What else is there to say? Most of his top 10 would be in my top 50 rather than my top 10. Dior's reformulations were painfully bad and Pure Malt would be the only Mugler in a high position. Prada Amber would be in the top 75 on my list. But otherwise his #25-11 is great.
    Last edited by SereneGreen; 9th April 2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: formatting + my opinions

Default Re: Robes08's Top 100 Designer Fragrances List

I've watched quite a few videos from Marc. I respect his opinions of fragrances and he gives good descriptions on them as well. He has a lot of good ones on his list.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    (edit: currently formatting the list)
    Thanks for that! The listed format makes this fun to browse. I don't agree with some of his choices - but that's the fun of the list. We've all got different tastes. I think it'd be pretty fun to read other people's lists. 100 is one heck of a challenge, but even 20 would be fun.

I'm glad he limited it to just designers. A niche list would be fun too, of course.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Thanks for posting the list. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can see there are no new releases in his top 25. The most recent is from 2009, the rest are older. Just something to ponder..
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Entertaining to read to get one person's perspective at best.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

#1 on his list wouldn't even crack my top 100. And Chanel Egoiste isn't on the list? Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    #1 on his list wouldn't even crack my top 100. And Chanel Egoiste isn't on the list? Hmmmmm.
    Egoiste is there...it's in the #50-26 section that hasn't been list-ified yet.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Egoiste is there...it's in the #50-26 section that hasn't been list-ified yet.
    Ah, you're right!

Ah, you're right!
    Still though, I think it deserves a higher spot on the list.

+1 , there is no way in hell Le Male and Angel Men would be in top 50 ever..
    While he has some decent reviews, he over sensationalizes and hypes a lot of them IMO.
    My personal favorite reviewers are Katy Pukrik, Betawiblood, and SmellyThoughts is really good, though he only
    reviews obscure niche fragrances.

Coming soon: Basenote's top 1000 designer fragrances. I think it's a fun project but personally I've never been a fan of the top 50/100 x of all time thing. Give me a smaller number so I can appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    While he has some decent reviews, he over sensationalizes and hypes a lot of them IMO.
    My personal favorite reviewers are Katy Pukrik, Betawiblood, and SmellyThoughts is really good, though he only
    reviews obscure niche fragrances.
    Agree! While I do enjoy to hear what he has to say, I prefer to watch the reviewers you mentioned more. It's an interesting list, but I disagree with his top few choices.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Thanks for posting the list. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can see there are no new releases in his top 25. The most recent is from 2009, the rest are older. Just something to ponder..
    But then he's only mention two pre-80's frags as well. It's a bit of a nineties and noughties fest.

But fair play to Marc for actually being able to put the list together. I'd struggle just to choose a top 100 without changing my mind ad infinitum, let alone put them into an order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's interesting, and there are some great ones in there, but...

When the top 4 are Le Male, A*Men, Pure Malt and DHI (none of which are home runs for me),
    and Burberry Brit is ranked significantly higher than such awesomeness as Kouros, Antaeus, Guerlain Vetiver, and Rive Gauche,
    and Azzaro PH and Paco Rabanne PH don't even make the list...

It's probably safe to say the author's tastes are just slightly different than mine.

Thanks for sharing. My list would be quite different, but very interesting!

Perhaps I should check out this Robes08 fellow on this "YouTube" thing.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Agree! While I do enjoy to hear what he has to say, I prefer to watch the reviewers you mentioned more. It's an interesting list, but I disagree with his top few choices.

Yes they are, I forgot to mention Fragrance Bros also do a nice job in their reviews, but they are not as eloquent as the ones I mentioned.
    Dan also does a nice job in his reviews, till he brings out his annoying wife and everything goes down hill from there .

Yes they are, I forgot to mention Fragrance Bros also do a nice job in their reviews, but they are not as eloquent as the ones I mentioned.
    Dan also does a nice job in his reviews, till he brings out his annoying wife and everything goes down hill from there .
    Truth! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Perhaps I should check out this Robes08 fellow on this "YouTube" thing.
    Yeah I like to hear his opinions, he seems to put a lot of time into his reviews.

I've been watching Marc's video's for awhile now. I like the amount of time he spends wearing fragrances before reviewing and judging whether they fit his taste or not. He shows you the bottle of what he tests from and usually it has a pretty nice chunk of fragrance used. It's quite impressive when you think about the size of this guys collection. Nothing about his reviews are vague and he really gets into the fragrance and breaks it down.
    Last edited by silentrich; 7th April 2014 at 11:18 PM.

Robes08 is a cool guy.... though I would never wear any of his top 4.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I don't know all of the fragrances in the top 10, but the ones I do know, are all really big compositions. I guess that says a lot about his tastes. You start seeing more subtlety after that. Le Male is my fave of what I call the pimp-daddy scents, but still wouldn't break my top 10.

He has Aventus in the same position I would have it *runs for cover from inevitable angry mob carrying torches & pitchforks*

I dig Marc's reviews but I like Betawiblood the best. Just my opinion but he has a better nose than Marc.
    It's cool seeing a Canadian reviewing from Indonesia. The Fragrance Bros. can really get on my nerves
    and they never do presentation although they seem like cool guys. The only reason I watch Katie is that
    she's rather easy on the eyes. Dan can get a bit annoying too. I love killing time watching YouTube reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    I
    He has Aventus in the same position I would have it *runs for cover from inevitable angry mob carrying torches & pitchforks*
    Umm... Aventus ain't a designer frag, dude.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

damn, missed the designer part!. so much for tweaking my creed loving bruthas

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I've been watching Marc's video's for awhile now. I like the amount of time he spends wearing fragrances before reviewing and judging whether they fit his taste or not. He shows you the bottle of what he tests from and usually it has a pretty nice chunk of fragrance used. It's quite impressive when you think about the size of this guys collection. Nothing about his reviews are vague and he really gets into the fragrance and breaks it down.
    Same here. I really enjoy Marc's haul videos and top 10/top 20 fragrance videos (especially for niche fragrances). Been watching him for the past few years now. I like that he shows the bottle and gives us his thorough input on the fragrance. He's gone for around 5-6 months at a time because he has to travel overseas for work, and he has family obligations. He also mentioned that he may not be doing videos anymore, even after he returns, and may instead have his own blog. I think that's a good idea, but I also wish he'd continue doing the haul and top fragrances videos.

Marc's videos are the ones I watch the most consistently. MyMickers isn't bad either. His Mono di Orio initial impressions video was my favorite (especially the first two minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1p4ZKJyH4

Pretty decent list - I own 48 of them.

Le Male is his favourite, but while popular, I think it would be way down the list for many others.

Not sure what CK Be is doing on the list, much less being ahead of Kouros. I think CK Free Blue and CK IN2U are much better than CK Be.

Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    It's interesting, and there are some great ones in there, but...

When the top 4 are Le Male, A*Men, Pure Malt and DHI (none of which are home runs for me),
    and Burberry Brit is ranked significantly higher than such awesomeness as Kouros, Antaeus, Guerlain Vetiver, and Rive Gauche,
    and Azzaro PH and Paco Rabanne PH don't even make the list...

It's probably safe to say the author's tastes are just slightly different than mine.
    Azzaro PH didn't make the list because it sucks. It doesn't smell like an old man... It smells like a dead man.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Quote Originally Posted by UKisGR8 View Post
    Azzaro PH didn't make the list because it sucks. It doesn't smell like an old man... It smells like a dead man.
    It was good once upon a time but right now it is a dead man literally lol.

I think these all deserve to be here, by popularity and quality. I don't like about half, but I still realize their value to the fragrance world.

Weren't you banned?

for swap/sale:

95. Ice Men (Mugler)
    91. Kouros
    87, Antaeus
    86. Xeryus Rogue
    Fahrenheit 32, Bulgari The Vert, Kenzo Power, Caron L'Anarchiste, Fahrenheit Absolute, Gucci Envy, Body Kouros, Rive Gauche, Bulgari Aqua, Rochas Man, Guerlain L'Instant Extreme, Guerlain Homme, Givenchy Pi, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, Guerlain Vetiver, Mugler Cologne, Egoiste, DSquared Rocky Mountain Wood,
    25. M7
    22 Narcisso Rodriguez,
    21 Terre D' Hermes,
    19 Burberry London,
    18 Bulgari Black,
    15 Gucci Pour Homme,
    8 Dior Homme
    7 Fahrenheit
    6 Hugo Boss Bottled
    5 Encre Noir
    4 Dior Homme Intense
    2. Angel Men
    1. Le Male

Like these. Some more, some less. Don't know or like the rest.

If you, out of all people , are allowed back, then Tony_T should cordially be invited back.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 8th April 2014 at 01:05 PM.

for swap/sale:

While there is no possibility for 100% definitive ranking/order, it is still remarkable that quite a few good designer fragrances are on this list.

Some of my personal favorites mentioned (in no particular order and ranking quite equally high among my preferences):

CK One Shock, Hermes Voyage, Antaeus, DSquared Potion, Bleu de Chanel, Homme Eau Guerlain, Black XS, John Varvatos Vintage, Tom Ford Extreme, Fahrenheit Absolute, Prada Amber Intense, Burberry Touch, Platinum Egoiste, Gucci Envy, Rive Gauche, Rochas Man, Guerlain L'Instant Extreme, Guerlain Homme, D&G The One, Pure Havane, Grey Vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver, Mugler Cologne, Egoiste, Prada Infusion, The Dreamer, Terre D' Hermes, Prada Amber, Burberry London, YSL L'homme, Gucci Pour Homme II, YSL La Nuit, Cartier Roadster, 1 Million, Dior Homme Intense

Noticing that the Youtube reviewer mentioned quite a few favorites on his list.

LeMale número uno
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

"An overall good reference point for lots of guys starting out their journey"? If that's the list of the top 100 fragrances to avoid then ok.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Half of those are pretty bad imo, I don't feel Le Male is worth #1 on the list either, but I guess these are his personal choices. I believe this list he made is older too, his taste might have changed since. If I made a top 100, Fahrenheit would likely be #1, with classics like Azzaro pH, Loewe Esencia, Aramis Havana and such up there at least in the top 20. Encre Noir is good, very good really, but 5? I dunno about all that.. sticking a pretty much pure vetiver fragrance up that high, since vetiver itself gets a love/hate reaction. My list would follow the following guidelines, smell, quality, projection, longevity, and compliment factor. Even though yes.. I usually wear a fragrance for myself, not for anybody else, not to impress anyone, but if I was to make a top list, limiting it to just 100 (which really isn't a lot), it would have to surpass in all categories. A*Men definitley wouldn't be on the list, because even though I enjoy it and personally rate it 4/5 stars, people I know hate the opening, and people around me as well.. so that's a problem.
    It seems a bit biased to put Fahrenheit with an obvious gasoline note, and not A*Men with an obvious tar note, but it's based off reaction for me, personally. The tar in A*Men is quite nice, and the gasoline in Fahrenheit is amazing; but like I said, people around me hate the opening of A*Men, and have given me feedback on how they felt; whereas Fahrenheit gets nothing but smiles. Never had a complaint wearing it, even the vintage stuff with projected much more an had a much more profound gasoline accord.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 8th April 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I think whats getting lost here is, its his list.
    To think an objective top 100 list even exists, is as crazy as thinking every single person on the planet likes just one particular fragrance the most.
    Last edited by MegaMav; 8th April 2014 at 01:58 PM.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 9/17

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    And it's being discussed as a valid "guide" for starters - which is not.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    If I had started with almost anything from this list, it'd be over before it even began

Why do think that?
    I can't see starters going awry picking from his list.
    Regards,
    Renato

This must be a factor?

Can we get a top 100 niche fragrances list from Coach Rob?

Actually, I just realised Potion is from 2011...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well crap....I feel like a giant turd now...

I only have 3 from his list of 100....

Woe is me
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Brecourt Esprit Mondain 1.7 oz.

+1 Agree 100%

Yessir!!!! Great pick at #1, Marc!

I get a certain vibe reading some of the posts on this thread - that of sniggering fragrance snobbery.

Part of the "I only wear scent for my own personal pleasure " brigade, methinks.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Entertaining to read to get one person's perspective at best.
    Yes. I'm not saying his opinion is any better than ours but he has a wider perspective since he's tried more fragrances than just about anyone except you of course

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Coming soon: Basenote's top 1000 designer fragrances.
    Wouldn't work. Would be too inconsistent as it would devolve into a student-council kind of popularity contest.

Fragrance Bros are great. I always like getting a discussion and more than one opinion. Also, I think Dan's wife is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Yes, he has a lot of respect for his craft.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    To think an objective top 100 list even exists, is as crazy as thinking every single person on the planet likes just one particular fragrance the most.
    Exactly. I'm not posting this up because his list is more valid than ours. I did it because he made an accessible list, period, full of fragrances great for newcomers to try.

I'd say it is. Not a verbatim "try only these, in this order" list. But I think there are a lot of excellent choices for newcomers to sample.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    If I had started with almost anything from this list, it'd be over before it even began
    Ouch....

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I get a certain vibe reading some of the posts on this thread - that of sniggering fragrance snobbery.
    Agree. I think when you're in a concentrated group of people (in this case, it would be niche lovers), there is less toleration for deviance. On Fragrantica for example (not saying it's better than BN) people talk about 90% designer and 10% niche.

That's true! Maybe things take time to become classics or maybe modern releases just haven't been notable. Still... where's Spicebomb.

Basenotes Plus

It's an ok list. They're some good ones and not so good IMO on there. What I find puzzling, is he states how one dimensional A*men is and puts it at number two on his list
    Current rotation:

Green Irish Tweed
    Ambre Topkapi
    Aventus
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Tabarome Millesime

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    This must be a factor?
    Not a factor as such, but he probably tests many new releases and it looks like almost nothing new make it into the list. I take it as a comment on the same-ness and lack of quality releases in the designer sector, at least.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Not sure what CK Be is doing on the list, much less being ahead of Kouros. I think CK Free Blue and CK IN2U are much better than CK Be.
    CK Be is really a masterpiece imho, very underrated. Not sure if it was reformulated or something, but the current CK Be is amazing. Very simple, and my "go to" frag, when I can't decide what I wanna wear.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Not a factor as such, but he probably tests many new releases and it looks like almost nothing new make it into the list. I take it as a comment on the same-ness and lack of quality releases in the designer sector, at least.
    I suspect the opposite, actually. When you're overexposed to new, you lust for the old. It's like Joni said... "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone." I'd bet the same list, 10 years from now, would have scents from today on it. Some people just find it easier to recognize beauty in a rear view mirror.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    CK Be is really a masterpiece imho, very underrated. Not sure if it was reformulated or something, but the current CK Be is amazing. Very simple, and my "go to" frag, when I can't decide what I wanna wear.
    I've noticed that you and I rarely agree on any scent under discussion, whereas another poster on this thread always seems to be in near unanimous agreement with me on most scents. Different noses obviously.

I'll make sure I check out CK Be again next time I'm near it, and try see what you are getting from it. It's pretty inexpensive nowadays.

What are your thoughts on CK In2U Him? As far as I know, I'm the only one on this site that actually thinks it is pretty good.
    Regards,
    Renato

I like watching Marc, thnx for this topic

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    Yessir!!!! Great pick at #1, Marc!
    Holy crap. You're alive. Welcome back. And I figured this thread would summon you.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I suspect the opposite, actually. When you're overexposed to new, you lust for the old. It's like Joni said... "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone." I'd bet the same list, 10 years from now, would have scents from today on it. Some people just find it easier to recognize beauty in a rear view mirror.
    This is true. We may dig back and say "wow, we overlooked this". But so far, to be honest, none of the releases of the past few years I didn't like. If something does come to light, it will probably be something we haven't tried as opposed to Polo Red all of a sudden being good.