Code of Conduct

Default Please compare Vintage and modern Caron Bellodgia

I have a small vintage EdC which I believe is likely missing the top notes. Haven't yet been able to find Bellaodgia in a store to sniff the modern and depending on how it's described,will likely obtain a sample. Anyway, just wanted to hear opinions on this particular frag and how you think current and vintage compare.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Default Re: Please compare Vintage and modern Caron Bellodgia

Vintage Bellodgia was a wonderful, rich, very creamy carnation. My vintage edc has a bit of neroli up top, but that often unpleasant note is very restrained, and soon the thing goes to a smooth carnation (which is not of course as rich as the parfum). A bellodgia edt I tried a few years ago was a floral stronger on neroli and citrus, some spices, and with little carnation and creaminess. The My Bellodgia I smelled last year (in the new square bottles) is a slightly spicy floral, ok, but not a carnation. In sum, for what I have smelled, it's best to stick to vintage.

cacio

My Bellodgia which is edp was bought early 00s in the peppercorn bottle (I did try a sample of the edt but found it light and thin), it rich and deep spicy clove. In fact I think along with the SMN Garfano its the best carnation around.
    DONNA

I can only talk for Bellodgia L'extrait, which I have worn since I was 13.

The fragrance itself fortunately has remained very much the same, rather than falling victim to reformulations.
    The only thing is that it seems slightly thinner than it used to be, although this maybe a wrong perception.

I have a little of each on. The original formulation is citrusy in the beginning. It quickly becomes a carnation underpinned by other floral notes - jasmine, rose, violet and lily of the valley according to my database of notes. The modern is immediately sweeter, much more a floral bouquet with a sweet william type of carnation or perhaps a tiny pink dominating. The parfum is deeper, richer and more carnation dominated. The other flowers certainly play a much lighter role in the overall accord. In comparison, after being on the skin for ten or so minutes, there is a striking similarity in the composition of both my current EdT and the vintage cologne that I have. If one thing separates the two, I would say the quality of the ingredients in the vintage is slightly better and the effect is more harmonious than the slightly sweeter current formula.

Based on your thoughts, I suspect the one I have to have lost most of its life. It smells nothing like flowers of any kind. I don't know that I could even begin to describe the scent it does have, but it is extremely light and somewhat plasticine. I actually do like it, but wasn't sure that it was at all true to the original. Now I'm thinking it can't be.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My bottle of Bellodgia--I don't know the age--does not smell at all to me like carnation. It's creamy and floral, but doesn't have the spicy facet that I associate with that flower.

granola:

the bellodgia i have, which is vintage, isn't excessively clovey either, it's definitely a very smooth spice. But there is some spice and it is definitely recognizable as a carnation. But not one of those peppery, very clovey carnation.

cacio

Hi Cacio, thanks for your input. It could be I just prefer the spicy facets of carnation to the creamy ones.

Blog Entries

I have vintage parfum. In my experience, vintage EDT or EDC does not usually hold up all that well. Of course, there are exceptions. Especially, when the bottle has been opened, you are likely to lose the oomph and true composition of a frag. Anyway, Bellodgia, vintage is sweet, creamy, pure carnation 'pinks' scent. Some complain of cloves but I find it perfect. My only problem with it is it is too rich and sweet for me. I just can't wear such a 'bosomy' floral. But it is very pure and creamy white with spice, if that helps.

Having now experienced someone else's from a generous sample, I realize that mine is just fine. I didn't quite know what to expect from it. Funny though, now, I really love it!

Well now! Let me share something with you that is tangentially related to your question.

I have always loved carnation and Bellodgia, as perfect an embodiment of the idea of the carnation as can be found. But my husband perceives it as a big stink, cat and insecticide, and our catz have always regarded it as an open invitation to get friendly and chew up the nape of my neck.

I was just hunting down a different scent in my linen press just now when I noticed that a small bottle of Bellodgia extrait had tipped onto its side - and caught around the stopper, oozing thickly and malevolently, was a mass of dark brown oily goo. Assuming it was solid I touched it it.
    Got gooed on. I was still trying to find the other scent.

Without thinking, I touched my forehead by the brow. GAWD!! The warmth in my body was activating strange stink molecules. They were rising laboriously but determinedly from my skin. It was to retch. To retch!

Washed my hands and face twice. Went back to work, thinking all is right.

Ten minutes later my daughter comes in, eyes the cat on his throne, and assumes he has sprayed in the room. Cat glowers at her, indignant. I tell her what happened. But I am so befuddled by the fumes that I get it garbled. Fumes in the room are working on my mind. We step out into the hall. Finally, it sinks in that she understands.

"Why don't you try some vinegar?"

We troop into the pantry. I get a shot of rice vinegar. Works on the hands but - no. Not on the face.

"Now I just smell like sushi" I say.

"You should just use plain vinegar, don't waste your gourmet stuff."

"All I have is rice vinegar, wine vinegar and balsamic and I 'm not using that."

She shrugs. "Maybe you'll create a new scent."

"Yes. Cat piss and balsamic. I"ll get thrown out of every joint in the peninsula.!"

Wine vinegar helps more but I can still smell it - it is in my head, bouncing from sinus to sinus. Wretched, wretched stuff.

Bellodgia is a wonderful parfume - perhaps I should say "was", because it appears that here, again, "improvements" have been made. Most likely to fatten the bottom line, tho I have a shelf full of papers from CITES and other orgs. about perfume ingredients now banned or restricted because of overuse, or cruelty.

But this brown goo - wonder if I can market it as some sort of repellent?

You think?

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    granola:

the bellodgia i have, which is vintage, isn't excessively clovey either, it's definitely a very smooth spice. But there is some spice and it is definitely recognizable as a carnation. But not one of those peppery, very clovey carnation.

cacio
    Malmaison by Floris was the ultimate clove-y carnation scent, imo. Bellodgia, not as much clove, just at the natural level that a real carnation exudes that eugenol scent.

Btw, look up some of those old magazine ads for Bellodgia with the tagline: "Lead him on like a lady. Lead him on with Bellodgia." Ah, those were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemlein View Post
    Well now! Let me share something with you that is tangentially related to your question.

I have always loved carnation and Bellodgia, as perfect an embodiment of the idea of the carnation as can be found. But my husband perceives it as a big stink, cat and insecticide, and our catz have always regarded it as an open invitation to get friendly and chew up the nape of my neck.

I was just hunting down a different scent in my linen press just now when I noticed that a small bottle of Bellodgia extrait had tipped onto its side - and caught around the stopper, oozing thickly and malevolently, was a mass of dark brown oily goo. Assuming it was solid I touched it it.
    Got gooed on. I was still trying to find the other scent.

Without thinking, I touched my forehead by the brow. GAWD!! The warmth in my body was activating strange stink molecules. They were rising laboriously but determinedly from my skin. It was to retch. To retch!

Washed my hands and face twice. Went back to work, thinking all is right.

Ten minutes later my daughter comes in, eyes the cat on his throne, and assumes he has sprayed in the room. Cat glowers at her, indignant. I tell her what happened. But I am so befuddled by the fumes that I get it garbled. Fumes in the room are working on my mind. We step out into the hall. Finally, it sinks in that she understands.

"Why don't you try some vinegar?"

We troop into the pantry. I get a shot of rice vinegar. Works on the hands but - no. Not on the face.

"Now I just smell like sushi" I say.

"You should just use plain vinegar, don't waste your gourmet stuff."

"All I have is rice vinegar, wine vinegar and balsamic and I 'm not using that."

She shrugs. "Maybe you'll create a new scent."

"Yes. Cat piss and balsamic. I"ll get thrown out of every joint in the peninsula.!"

Wine vinegar helps more but I can still smell it - it is in my head, bouncing from sinus to sinus. Wretched, wretched stuff.

Bellodgia is a wonderful parfume - perhaps I should say "was", because it appears that here, again, "improvements" have been made. Most likely to fatten the bottom line, tho I have a shelf full of papers from CITES and other orgs. about perfume ingredients now banned or restricted because of overuse, or cruelty.

But this brown goo - wonder if I can market it as some sort of repellent?

You think?

That is some story! LOL