Code of Conduct

Default What Oud Scents would be interesting to start testing.

Hello I've been following the base notes forums for about a mont. Based on reviews I've blind ordered several fragrances. I just received from Lilly Direct. Com Creed Royal Oud and Terre D'Hermes. I liked the Here's and loved Creed Royal Oud. I don't find the longevity and the silliage great on either fragrance. If I love the Royal Oud what other Oud Scents would you recommend investigating. I've also ordered from them Penhaligon ' Artesima for wife, lp no.9, Opus 1870, and Endymion. I know these aren't Oud Scents but the reviews where good on base notes. L'Artisan ' Dzonga and Timbuktu are in transit as well. I smelled the Creed Royal Oud and tested in the store and it didn't last any longer than what I purchased from Lilly Direct. The Sales person was nice and I haven't read any complaints on here so I would like to confirm with members that they found them legit? I know this posting has been all over it's my first and I didn't know where to begin. Lastly I ordered the Amouage mini kit to try out six of those scents. Is lilly direct the go to online website for discounts? I've been to lucky scent they have wider selection but full retail pricing and I've seen bad reviews of fragrance net.com. Please bare with the rambling posting and I ok forward to your insights.

Default Re: What Oud Scents would be interesting to start testing.

Tom Ford Oud Wood is a likable oud fragrance for a beginner to test.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Tom Ford Oud Wood is a likable oud fragrance for a beginner to test.
    Thank you can you tell me in the NJ area where it could be tested. I called all of the Nord storm's and none carry Fredric Malle and the more expensive Tom Ford products.

Sand Aoud by Mancera and Black Aoud by Montale.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Que Dog View Post
    Thank you can you tell me in the NJ area where it could be tested. I called all of the Nord storm's and none carry Fredric Malle and the more expensive Tom Ford products.
    Might be worth a trip to NYC?

I'd suggest smelling the Francis Kurkdjian Oud and Oud Mood series, and also Dior's Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan for something different.

+1 to MFK Oud, but just the original IMO, +1 Oud Wood and Ispahan. Leather Oud might kill a beginner. It almost killed me and I'm not. I would also recommend Oud Royal by Armani Prive, very nice classy Aoud. For masculine, medicinal strong woody oud try Aoud Musk by Montale.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

So many ouds to choose from. The Tom Ford, while not the best one necessarily, gives a good idea of what oud could be about. Better ones, Dior Leather oud (smoky variety), By Kilians Pure oud (oil variety).

The Tom Ford line is usually carried by some Nordstrom (not all), Saks, and Neimans (plus the boutique in NYC). Le Malle is only in NYC, at the boutique or at Barney's NYC. Dior Leather oud is at the Dior boutique in NYC, or in very selected Saks.

cacio

You can get red, white, and black oud from Montale in a sample set from TPC. It was pretty cheap when I ordered mine a few months ago. Epic Man has oud with a lot of other elements in it. There is also Tom Ford Oud Wood and Leather Oud which I was not too fond of.

Blog Entries

If you live near Short Hills, NJ, check out Short Hills Mall. The Nordstrom there only carries mainstream designer items, but I got a 4ml sample of Oud Wood from Nieman Marcus a couple of years ago. Saks Fifth also has Tom Ford and other niche. Sales Assistants there are great. Ask for Michelle, she'll help you out.

If you're really after Frederic Malle, then NYC is the best place to experience it, as mentioned by kagey and cacio. Aedes de Venustas on Christopher Street also carries Malle.

I would recommend Aoud by Roja Dove as an exclusive as it's very costly but another which I have is Armani prive oud Royal , which is Gorrgeousss and obvious oud wood on a sweeter(sweetness done right) side of the spectrum is really nice.

btw, ByKillian's boutique in the MeatPacking district in NYC is a great way to go and experience Pure oud and incense oud and others which you might like and they do sample out free of charge...go check them out as they're very friendly fellas there...cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 9th April 2014 at 01:33 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Mona di Orio's Les Nombres d'Or Oud will be my pick for any beginners foray into Oud based parfums...

As Kagey mentioned, you might come out better taking a trip to NYC. Go to MINNYC in the SOHO area (Crospy Street) and have a great time testing. Those guys are very knowledgeable about fragrances.

YSL M7 (back when "oud" was just "agarwood") and some Du Bois. Avoid Montale's chaplin-esque "Oud Emporium".
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Costume National - 21
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Can anyone tell me if there's any online site or store where you can find the Roja Aoud at a discount? If my question is that absurd to even ask it's because I'm a newbie :-)

Can anyone tell me if there's any online site or store where you can find the Roja Aoud at a discount? If my question is that absurd to even ask it's because I'm a newbie :-)
    Discount doesn't exist for this brand, getting on a split is best solution to save a buck or two
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Kanon Agarwood. It's probably the wimpiest oud on the market, but for less than $10 for a 3.3 it might be worth checking out. Especially if you're just sticking your toe in the water on oud. I'm not a big fan of oud in general.
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

What is getting on a split, I'm familiar in blackjack but not basenotes lol!

Basically someone buys a big bottle..say 250 ml. Then breaks it down into 5 ml, 10 ml, 20 ml, 30 ml, 40 ml, 50 ml, 100 ml, etc smaller bottles. They usually base price by $/ml plus some handling and shipping costs to make it worth their while. It's a much cheaper way to buy niche fragrances.

Here's a link to the splits board: http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board

What is getting on a split, I'm familiar in blackjack but not basenotes lol!
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

Thank You for explaining the split!

Do some people have skin that soaks up the scent of the fragrance? I've noticed that after 90 minutes I have only a very mild scent of Creed Royal Oud on my skin and the same goes for Terre D'Hermes, and Amouage Dia. I think my skin must be like a dry desert. I drink 120 ounces of water a day so it's not a lack of hydration.

If I started with Dior Leather Oud, I'd give up on fragrances all together lol...
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    If I started with Dior Leather Oud, I'd give up on fragrances all together lol...
    This +100!!
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Do some people have skin that soaks up the scent of the fragrance? I've noticed that after 90 minutes I have only a very mild scent of Creed Royal Oud on my skin and the same goes for Terre D'Hermes, and Amouage Dia. I think my skin must be like a dry desert. I drink 120 ounces of water a day so it's not a lack of hydration.
    I honestly think different scents perform differently on each individual's skin. I was convinced that my skin are fragrances like no other and based off of a lot of people's reviews I thought Royal Oud would be no different for me. I had even heard of folks spraying 8-10 sprays!!! 3 sprays of Royal Oud and I am good for 18+ hours. On clothes it literally lasts for weeks. Same with PD Black. A lot of BNers said that they felt that it was a skin scent but on me, it projects very loudly for many hours before becoming even close to a skin scent. On the other hand, I get no more than 4 hours out of SMW, MI, and GIT no matter how many or how little sprays I use. Dia Man is another that people claim to have week projection/longevity on. On my skin it is beastly in both categories. If you are well hydrated, I would also try to use a good moisturizing un scented body wash and lotion to see if that helps. It certainly did for me. As far as Oud scents I would suggest:
    1.Rania J Oud Assam

2.Bruckner Aoud 1

I would suggest 3.Dior Leather Oud as an excellent Oud fragrance but the opening can be a bit much, if your not used to a little skank. Happy hunting!
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather