Code of Conduct

Default Dunhill Desire Black

Just saw that Desire Black is out: http://www.basenotes.net/content/200...ely-at-Harrods. Anyone know how to get this in the US?

Default Re: Dunhill Desire Black - USA?

According this below, just was released on April 6th in the UK at Harrods and Dunhill boutiques. So perhaps check the Dunhill boutique in Las Vegas and the one on Madison Avenue in NYC to see if they carry it.

http://diarydirectory.blogspot.com/2...fragrance.html
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Wow, so Dunhill finally made a new fragrance. Personally I like a lot of their stuff, but I don't like the Desire line. I was searching for Dunhill Black in the directory to do a small review, and came across this. Some of these notes in here are my favorites, saffron, rose, cypress, vetiver. Mmmm this sounds like it may be good. The bottle looks nice too.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I don't think this is a Proctor and Gamble scent. Dunhill signed a deal back in 2012 with Inter Parfums to make new scents. Interesting that they seem to be sticking with namesakes and not going with brand new lines (e.g Gucci and Diesel).
    Last edited by nightcutter; 17th May 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Default Dunhill Desire Black: A Review

Dunhill Desire Black isn't officially available in the USA and it is sold out on Harrod's website (where it has been exclusively launched), but I spotted it on Ebay for around $50 shipped for 3.4 oz. It appears that a few US sellers have acquired bottles of this through their supply chain. They don't seem to know the significance of having acquired it.

The box arrived today and looks legit: the box and bottle match that pictured on Harrod's website, the serial numbers on box match the bottle, and there are nice touches like a metallic stamped plate with serial number affixed to the bottom of the bottle, etc. I'm sure it would be of little interest at this point to counterfeit a new product with unknown selling potential anyhow.

The scent is very sophisticated and refined. Something I'd wear with a suit or tux. It manages to be clean and ever so slightly soapy with a richness provided by pepper, other spices, and woods - almost an incense-like scent. It is a dry scent with only a hint of sweetness compared to the quite sweet Desire/Desire Blue fragrances. It does share excellent longevity with them, though. I don't have anything in my collection quite like Desire Black. If I were pressed, I'd say Kiton Black is the only thing that is somewhat similar -- but not in scent -- just in where I can see myself wearing it.

Notes as listed are:

Top: Bergamot, Grapefruit, Petitgrain and Black Pepper
    Heart: "Pink Pepper Jungle Essence«", Turkish Rose, Geranium, Saffron Flower and Elemi
    Base: Golden Amber, Vetiver, Labdanum, Moroccan Cedarwood, Myrhh, Oud Arabian Musk, Oakmoss and Patchouli

Of those, I smell pepper, labdanum, amber, cedarwood, and patchouli. The pepper is not in-your face as in Bang!'s opening or as distinctive as in CCV. I wonder if the faint sweetness might be a touch of rose. No particular note dominates. I do not distinctly smell bergamot, grapefruit, or oud. I'm guessing it has a fair amount of iso E super based on the woodsy scent reminding me of others colognes that include iso E super.

I recommend Dunhill Desire Black if a sexy, sophisticated scent is up your alley. This is not something you'd reach for on a hot summer day kicking back on the beach. I have a special formal evening event coming up that seems appropriate for my first public wearing. Sorry Jubilation XXV, I think I've hired another for the job.

Default Re: Dunhill Desire Black: A Review

Thanks for sharing your observations about this scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the info... Sounds interesting!!!

Sounds worth a sniff!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Yes, it sounds interesting. Especially the "Pink Pepper Jungle Essence".
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Nice review. Thanks for the info.

Sounds good really. I have desire in the red bottle and I like it but don't love it. This one sounds a little classier.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Thanks for the first in-depth interview. This one sounds pretty nice. To me, Dunhill is usually a hit or miss house.. either I love a fragrance from them, or I hate it. I actually own quite a few from them.. I may consider this one once it goes on sale. I'm definitley not a fan of the overly cloying, extremely synthetic smelling Desire Red, and Blue, although the bottles and concepts are nice. I actually paid full price for Desire Red when I bought it at the mall years ago, it smelled wonderful and unique on paper.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Sounds good. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    Sorry Jubilation XXV, I think I've hired another for the job.
    Are you saying Dunhill Desire Black is better than Jubilation XXV? On one hand, I find that hard to believe, on the other - this sort of statement is guaranteed to create stampedes at our Sephora's and Macy's when this thing hits the US markets.

It really is good stuff!! Best offering from Dunhill in a long while!

I should make a disclaimer that I love both Dunhill Desire and Desire Blue. Not so much others, though I do own several including d, Edition, Dunhill, & Fresh. Because I love the Desire fragrances so much, based on a few positive comments from people who have smelt Desire Black, I bought it. Still feel like it was a great deal/decision. I wouldn't be surprised if Desire Black ends up getting some love from the BN crowd when it comes out. Note that I was careful not to say "Dunhill Desire Black is better than Jubilation XXV" -- just that Jubilation might feel a little left out for not getting used ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    I second this. But first, thanks OP for the review.

Here is my take on it:

Marc Jacobs Bang pulled back, and not a one note ringer either. The opening is so beautiful I shed a tear. Ok not really but I wanted to. It is what Kouros Black would/could/should smell like, a prominent honey note that is distinctively Kouros. Unfortunately, that aspect is short lived and Terre d'Hermes shows up but again restrained, closer to the EdP of TdH mixed with Kouros Eau de Sport.

The slide show ends with MJ's Bang, but as mentioned, restrained.

For me, easily top 3 mass market/designer fragrance launched this year. Yes, it is that good. Just wish it was/comes in an EdP, though that might take away from the beautiful interplay of notes in the opening.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 3rd June 2014 at 05:02 AM. Reason: grammar errors
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    Is this readily available in the US yet?

I bought it on ebay.

Available on Ebay for around $55.00
    Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    Just saw that Desire Black is out: http://www.basenotes.net/content/200...ely-at-Harrods. Anyone know how to get this in the US?

Thanks for the review.

Available on Ebay for around $55.00
    Already acquired, happily:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/381...Black-A-Review

Hi!
    Just merging this with a very similar thread.
    Thanks.