Code of Conduct

Default Best cologne by Ralph Lauren

What is in your opinion, the best cologne by Polo Ralph Lauren line? All recent formulations not including vintage.

Default Re: Best cologne by Ralph Lauren

Polo Double Black.

I know it's dated, but I like Polo Sport.

+1 for double black

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    I know it's dated, but I like Polo Sport.
    Me too. Haven't worn it in at least a decade but I've recently been tempted to buy another bottle.

Have to give it to Double Black. Loved Polo, Polo Sport, Polo Crest, and Polo Sport Extreme back in the day, but based on today, I would have to go with Double Black. Ralph Lauren needs to get back in the game.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I used to love Polo Sport. I'm not sure if I still do since I haven't smelled the reformulated version.
    Polo Black is quite nice as well, as is Polo Blue. And Polo Blue Sport smells like a mix between Polo Blue and Polo Sport, so I like it as well.

One that will always be special to me is Safari. It's very masculine and has some real personality. It's been reformulated, though, so who knows what it's like now.

Polo, Polo Sport & Polo Modern Reserve.

Polo original.

Not a fan of this house but what I have tried - Double Black would get my vote.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't own any, but from what I've tried, Double Black smells the best. The name is slightly misleading, but I guess it is more dark than it is fresh. The green mango top note is great, and then it fades into woods with some coffee. The biggest problem is projection & longevity. I tested a sample, and I could barely smell it 15 minutes after applying. Not great.

I also tested Red. I don't like the scent itself as much as Double Black, but it's still really good for Polo IMO. Also, it performs better than Double Black. It's not by much, but it's noticeable.

Hated the original Polo. Don't like the big pony collection. Polo Blue is alright for a summer scent, and everything else is forgettable.

I mainly wear Polo, Polo Sport and Polo Explorer from the current line, and sometimes Modern Reserve.

Purple Label, if it's still around was very good, but too expensive for me given I couldn't get any lasting power out of it.

The Pony scents just seemed a bit lame to me.

My favourite is still the uber masculine, original Chaps - smells like saddle bags.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Polo (vintage)
    Modern Reserve
    Double Black
    Polo Sport

The pony series has to be up for the worst fragrances of all time.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Thanks for all the replies. Needed to ask this as I have 100 dollar gift card, and want to pick up a bottle. Will check out all the suggestions. Seems like the favourite is double black then Polo sport.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Polo (vintage green) is such a part of fragrance history. I wore it in the day, as well as Polo Black and Polo Sport.

They were okay, but the RL I have enjoyed the most (and still do) is Purple Label.

It's unfortunate that they quit making it and that most people didn't have the opportunity to become familiar with it because it smells so good and is so versatile (kind of the Burberry London of its day).

The only negative was its longevity. But when first sprayed, there was nothing better.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Original Polo

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post

They were okay, but the RL I have enjoyed the most (and still do) is Purple Label.

It's unfortunate that they quit making it and that most people didn't have the opportunity to become familiar with it because it smells so good and is so versatile (kind of the Burberry London of its day).

The only negative was its longevity. But when first sprayed, there was nothing better.
    Well, looks like you are in luck. You can buy it right from ralphlauren.com.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...80616.12311929

My dad wears Polo colognes and they are ok, not my taste.
    Though I do hate Polo Red from the bottom of my heart.

Another vote for Polo Green

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    Well, looks like you are in luck. You can buy it right from ralphlauren.com.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...80616.12311929
    Yep! That's where I got mine a couple of years ago. I can't believe it's still for sale. I'm not sure why the masses don't know about this. It sells for a great markup on eBay because everyone seems to think it's unavailable.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

It's between Polo Green and Safari for me, in the current formulations as you asked.

Love Purple Label, highly recommended.
    Really like Polo Sport but haven't worn it in so long. Still keep a bottle of it.
    Also like Polo Black.

Sound Scents

The original Polo in its vintage form is easily the best (and is outstanding), followed far behind by the excellent smelling but sadly discontinued Polo Crest. None of the recent offerings or formulations are of any interest.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Purple Label and Double Black

Modern Reserve and also quite like Polo (my bottle is a bit older though). Otherwise just tried Safari and didn't care for it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The original Polo in its vintage form is easily the best (and is outstanding), followed far behind by the excellent smelling but sadly discontinued Polo Crest. None of the recent offerings or formulations are of any interest.
    Totally agree
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Hands down, the original Polo is easily the one that puts RL on the fragrance map. For current formulation my vote goes to Double Black with Polo Explorer not far behind.

Polo Sport

Basenotes Junkie

Romance for men for me. Not a polo fan, though I appreciate its lineage and importance to perfumery.

rick

Double Black for as well, the only release from this house that I've recently had in my collection.(still ended up selling it though) And Polo Sport as a somewhat close #2

1. Purple Label
    2. Polo Sport
    3. Romance Silver
    4. Polo Black and Polo Red
    5. Double Black and Polo Blue

Dont care much for any of em' off hand. But polo red that came out just recently I would say smells the best. Smells really good on paper, similar to rochas man on it. Sadly on my skin when ever ive tried it, its been pretty awful. Just smells ok, and longevity and projection are pretty much non existent. If I was rich id probably pick up a bottle of it, but as it is.....

Without question... Polo green (also called "original" or just "Polo" by some here).
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I enjoy some of the womens Ralph Lauren perfumes which tend to modernize and evolve, but the male fragrances are stuck in the past.

Polo Green is really good, for an old-school fragrance. But I still have to remind myself that I had to add that clause.

Polo Red and the Pony 1-4 are all mediocre to average at best.

I'd say Polo Blue is quite good though.