Code of Conduct

Default Best Blood Orange Fragrance

I was thinking about gifting my girlfriend a perfume for our 9 month anniversary coming up (yes, I know that's not much time, however we like to celebrate every month because our hearts are filled with young love!) she LOVES the smell of blood orange, and has mentioned several times that she's looking for a new perfume to buy. Recently we went to Sephora and she smelled the Tocca Stella that they had. It smelled really nice from what I can remember (not very well) and she seemed to like it, but then yet I know she liked it specifically for the blood orange note it features. Anyways, I looked it up on fragrantica and it doesn't seem like it's the greatest -- so do any of you lovely ladies have any experience with this fragrance that you could share? Otherwise have any suggestions that are great in the blood orange department? I was going to purchase some samples from decantshop for myself soon, I'd be happy to purchase a couple samples of some recommendations since I'm not risky enough to blind but anything -- which probably isn't a bad thing!
    Anyways I appreciate any feedback y'all may have for me! Thanks a lot!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Blood Orange Fragrance

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/54...m-by-illuminum
    I tried this Bergamot Blossom recently and found it rich and tangy. A real winner!

Diptyque Eau de Tarocco is a blood-orange citrus (tarocco means blood orange in Italian). Of course, as all citrus colognes, it doesn't last long.

cacio

There was a lovely one by L'Occitane but it is discontinued now

I suggest L'Anarchiste by Caron for blood oranges (with a touch of copper)

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Diptyque Eau de Tarocco is a blood-orange citrus (tarocco means blood orange in Italian). Of course, as all citrus colognes, it doesn't last long.

cacio
    This!
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Keiko Mecheri Sanguine is nice, worth a look

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

An inexpensive choice, if budget is a concern: Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange.

When it comes to blood orange, for me, it doesn't get any better than Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne. It's unisex, but probably a little bit better on females.

An orange with lasting power is almost impossible to find, but this one has it.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Orange Sanguine from Atelier Cologne is a really accurate orange, and you can get it at Sephora in a mini size packed with a mini of their vanilla-incense-woody fragrance. It's up near the front in the impulse buy area. It does last a long time and my only critique is that it's a bit linear, so for those who like a more complex fragrance, it might get boring after a few hours. But it's so straightforward that it's great to layer with other fragrances.

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone!
    A question on Orange Sanguine -- Would this safely be considered feminine? My local sephora doesn't carry it which I'm a little ticked about, seems like it could be promising..

Blog Entries

Blood orange is distinctive and unusual. It's unlikely you'll find a good selection in a dept store.

CLASSIC ORANGE by VON EUSERSDORFF

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    There was a lovely one by L'Occitane but it is discontinued now

I suggest L'Anarchiste by Caron for blood oranges (with a touch of copper)
    Lovely fragrance indeed! What you describe as copper, I perceive as mint!

One superb fragrance has not been mentioned yet. IMO the best ever blood orange:

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier - Sanguine Muskissime

Components:

Orange, bergamot, mandarine, grapefruit
    blood orange, jasmine, peach
    sandalwood, musk.

Quote Originally Posted by nKelly95 View Post
    A question on Orange Sanguine -- Would this safely be considered feminine? My local sephora doesn't carry it which I'm a little ticked about, seems like it could be promising..
    Have you ever looked at the "feminine - masculine" meter Luckyscent has on their fragrances? Unisex is right in the middle and that's what Orange Sanguine is rated as. I think that's accurate, but at the same time, I would probably put the meter a couple of ticks toward the feminine side if I was rating it.

As said, it's very linear but smells so good. Perfect for warm summer days. Clean and orangey....just like I've always wanted. I wanted JUST an orange scent and I finally found one.

I bought my bottle for myself, but I will definitely encourage my wife to wear it as well because I'd love to smell it on her.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

summer means fireflys

I like Tocca Stella. The blood orange top notes are great ... juicy, semi-sweet. I wish there was more orange throughout the drydown, but top notes don't last like that ... pity. Stella is a nice, sheer floral with a creamy sandalwood and light musk base. It is a safe fragrance and one I reach for when I need something well-behaved.

I agree with the Orange Sanguine. This is a great one to try, but it isn't as sweet as Stella.

I'm also going to suggest trying Eau des Merveilles. It has a wonderful orange note (granted, it is not blood orange). It has a salty-skin vibe with a wood-y base and no floral notes. It's one of my favorite fragrances and I get tons of compliments when wearing it.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

If she doesn't mind patchouli or chocolate and likes sweet fragrances, your Sephora might carry Ultrared Man, yes MAN. Ask for a vial and let your partner try it.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Definitely another vote for Eau De Tarocco. I know many find this somewhat short-lived but, surprisingly, it lasts quite a long time on myself.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Shay & Blue Blood Oranges citrus with a touches of floral, wood and some leather.
    Last edited by Xscent; 11th April 2014 at 06:56 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the Atelier and Diptyque recommendations and will add one more (but you have to like spicy scents) Harissa (Series 2: Red) by Comme des Garcons.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac