Code of Conduct

Default Tabac Blond Extrait or EdP

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this one. I've found it in Parfum and EdP concentrations. Obviously, Parfum is more $$$ so now I'm wondering which I ought to go for first. I really love this, but the one I've been wearing is actually an EDT which I haven't even found available for sale anywhere. Thoughts? Oh, and I'm talking modern version.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Tabac Blond Extrait or EdP

Definitely Extrait! I have always found this superior to the EdT in terms of quality-of-ingredients, sillage, radiance, etc.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

We need our Caronian larimar here.

In any case, as for all Carons, parfum, if at all. i must say I am a touch disappointed by the current parfum. It starts fantastically, with a deep, dark note like whiskey, then it goes on to a nice leather, but it sort of looses itself, relaxing a bit too much and sweetening more than it should. I smelled once vintage, and vintage had a deep chypre drydown that's missing from the current one. Still, I'd say the parfum is still worth.

As with all Caron, the pricing of the parfum is very nonlinear, so if you go, it may be convenient to buy slightly larger quantities. As you probably know, the main Caron store in the US is at phytouniverse in NYC, so you can call there to see what's available.

cacio

Blog Entries

Extrait, from Paris, if possible. You can have the flacon refilled and save some $ over time.

Luca Turin gave this a bad review. Keep in mind I don't believe he used the parfum. And he tested on a paper strip, not skin. This one, especially, needs to warm up on human contact.

Has anyone got any experience with the EdP? Or mainly EdT and Parfum?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Blog Entries

I don't want to put you off, but a friend of mine ordered parfum from Luckyscent. She found it was thin and not to her liking.

Definitely the parfum.

It may not be as good as the vintage iteration, but who cares?

Comparison to the vintage is a moot point because it's impossible to find in vintage AND the current formulation excellent.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

I bought my Parfum from MiN in NY. They have an urn there.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I buy my perfume from Caron's in Paris.
    Since my vintage bottle is not empty yet, I haven't opened the new back-up bottle yet
    and cannot compare.

I have a vintage likely 1970s bottle, which I unsealed myself. A lot of what is going around is not the real thing. I find it roughly to be like 1/3 Knize Ten ( which is a topnote thing mainly), 1/3 current extrait and 1/3 vintage Nuit de Noel Extrait (the chypre base). All in all, the current is clearly Tabac Blond. However much I love the current extrait I find the EdP to be rather terrible (honestly). It has a synthetic vibe, lacks the rich oily feel of the extrait and has no longevity at all on me. It also has a cigarette-y vibe initially, whereas the extrait is more a melange of smoky leather and fine tabacco (loose). Like others have said, buy from Caron directly and nothing but the extrait (always when it comes to the fountain extraits).
    Last edited by Larimar; 9th April 2014 at 04:38 AM.

I guess I'm odd, but part of what I liked is that cigarette vibe. But now you've all got me quite curious as to what the 'from Paris' Extrait is like! Thanks to all for the input.

I'm not sure about the different between Paris and NYC extraits. The NYC stuff must come from France anyway. There could be a matter of batches, as usual, but then it's not clear Paris is better than NYC. That said, I have not compared, so I cannot say.

cacio

Blog Entries

http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/381995
    Here's one mention of the difference in alcohol used in France. Another possibility are additives to make the perfume unfit for human consumption. This is a throwback law from Prohibition. Odd, because perfume is very expensive to drink!

That thread is a fun read Kumquat, thanks for sharing.

It seems to me that it should not be difficult to actually find out if the US law is the same and whether it's actually manufactured differently here than elsewhere. Has anyone ever called/written the manufacturers to ask?

Blog Entries

Perfumers are notoriously secretive, and no doubt, The USA manufacturers (importers) aren't going to fess up to an inferior product. The French perfumers will probably say that this is the export law, though. I imagine this is where the information originates. I've never personally checked. I have made comparisons between NY juice from Caron and there was a big difference as far as I was concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/381995
    Here's one mention of the difference in alcohol used in France. Another possibility are additives to make the perfume unfit for human consumption. This is a throwback law from Prohibition. Odd, because perfume is very expensive to drink!
    It's denatured over in Europe these days as previously discussed.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...n-Lutens-etc-)

Does the U.S. market packaging state 'Made in USA' or 'Made in France'?

It's quite possible that any perceived differences are to do with regulation changes /dates of manufacture.
    Last edited by lpp; 9th April 2014 at 05:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Oh I perceived it all right. The nose knows.

That's perfectly possible but until someone can actually prove that the US market product is currently differently formulated to the European one it is unwise to make unfounded allegations.

So many things affect the fragrance in any given bottle - batch, regulation & formula tweaks to mention a few.

There is some info. here, but comments from experts will be welcome.
    Last edited by lpp; 10th April 2014 at 09:53 AM.

IMO this "denat. alcohol affects smell of perfume" issue, which is persistently reappearing in Basenoters' posts, is nothing but a conspiracy theory.

French and all the other European perfumes are made with the same alcohol as sold in the U.S. There is no difference in smell. I know from my own experience that the perfumes I buy/bought in Paris are/were the same I buy/bought in the U.S. from the resp. companies.

If the perfume smells different, this has other reasons.

Blog Entries

All I can say is what is based on my personal experience. I have been sampling scents for 8 years. I have amassed a huge library of samples . I have a wardrobe that is not up to date as many of the scents aren't in the directory- well over 250 bottles. I have compared both French and NYC Caron Urn versions of two favorite scents. French Can Can and Tabac Blond. There was a difference to me. That's all I can say. It may not matter to anyone else. It doesn't matter to me what you think. But please don't doubt my judgement.

Who doubts your judgement? I am just sharing my experience. I am talking here about big bottles, since I never judge from samples.
    French Can Can I never used.

Blog Entries

Well, you say I espoused a 'conspiracy theory' which you yourself have never evaluated. That means - comparing two samples.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this one. I've found it in Parfum and EdP concentrations. Obviously, Parfum is more $$$ so now I'm wondering which I ought to go for first. I really love this, but the one I've been wearing is actually an EDT which I haven't even found available for sale anywhere. Thoughts? Oh, and I'm talking modern version.

Dragging this thread back to it's original purpose.

If there is proof of these allegations, perhaps it could be posted.
    Failing that, the thread should continue as the O.P. intended please.
    Last edited by lpp; 10th April 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Another vote for the Extrait. More dense and with a more tenacious opening (which in my opinion is the best part of modern Tabac Blond)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here