Code of Conduct

Default Tam Dao EDP question

So I just got my sample of Tam Dao EDP, and I gotta say.. it smells a bit different from the EDT from what I can recall. I haven't worn the EDT in a number of years though, but the EDP has to have tonka or vanilla in the base, am I right? I can't find any site that shows the difference in notes. I remember Tam Dao EDT to be sharper, and definitley no vanilla or tonka in the base.. the EDP is remind me slightly of Eau Duelle actually.

So can anybody verify the difference in notes between the EDP & EDT if there is any? Just curious, ty.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Default Re: Tam Dao EDP question

EdP
    Lime, Coriander, ginger, sandalwood, cedarwood, musc, vanilla, amber wood

EdT
    Goa sandalwood, rosewood, cypress, ambergris

According to LuckyScent...and here's what they have to say about the difference.

"A familiar yet reinvented interpretation, with accentuated, enhanced major notes... the Eau de Parfum expresses itself with even more personality, audacity, intensity and tenacity. Here, with Tam Dao, the star ingredient, sandalwood from Mysore, is of exceptional quality. In the EDP version, Ginger, Tahiti lime, and the coconut accord emphasize the creamy smooth facet of Mysore sandalwood, resulting in a milky, woody creamy concoction."

I just got the EdP yesterday and have yet to test it aside from sniffing the nozzle which smelled wonderful. Also, it's been years since I've tried the EdT...I remember it smelling similar to CdG's Wonderwood and I never went as far as purchasing a full bottle. I remember the EdT being synthetic woods, sandalwood and cedar. I'll see how the EdP compares in a few days and get back here in my own words.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    EdP
    Lime, Coriander, ginger, sandalwood, cedarwood, musc, vanilla, amber wood

EdT
    Goa sandalwood, rosewood, cypress, ambergris

According to LuckyScent...and here's what they have to say about the difference.

"A familiar yet reinvented interpretation, with accentuated, enhanced major notes... the Eau de Parfum expresses itself with even more personality, audacity, intensity and tenacity. Here, with Tam Dao, the star ingredient, sandalwood from Mysore, is of exceptional quality. In the EDP version, Ginger, Tahiti lime, and the coconut accord emphasize the creamy smooth facet of Mysore sandalwood, resulting in a milky, woody creamy concoction."

I just got the EdP yesterday and have yet to test it aside from sniffing the nozzle which smelled wonderful. Also, it's been years since I've tried the EdT...I remember it smelling similar to CdG's Wonderwood and I never went as far as purchasing a full bottle. I remember the EdT being synthetic woods, sandalwood and cedar. I'll see how the EdP compares in a few days and get back here in my own words.
    TY for this. The EDT comes off to many people as an overdose of ISO E Super, which may be what you are smelling when you say "synthetic".. ya the EDP is certainly different. The sandalwood note in here is definitley more authentic, but I'm not sure I like it with some of the other notes. The EDT was more straight to the point of a woodsy fragrance.. I can now see why based on the notes, thanks again for verifying.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

I find the EDP. sharper, more vibrant and as far as the added accords, I can sense the lime, but not the other new ones. Great stuff. Glad I have bottles of both.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

To the OP

I bought the EDP as I found it more richer and somewhat thicker then the EDT.

The EDP is vastly different to the EDT - a major improvement in my mind in that it actually smells and feels like a sandalwood based composition rather than synthetics + cedar, which is what the EDT has been for years.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 9th April 2014 at 06:09 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Funnily enough, I always got a bit of vanilla in the EDT, but I can be a bit sensitive to vanilla. I assumed it was in there to try and boost the creamy aspect of sandalwood. Maybe they've just boosted the level enough that they now actually list it in the notes.

I'm probably in the minority then preferring the EDT.

The EDP is nice and all.. but there's a little too much going on for my liking, I like it as just a simple sandalwood with an authentic sandalwood note. The EDP has a noticeable vanilla, and something else giving it this buttery smell.. almost reminds me of buttered popcorn. The projection and longevity are exceptional though.

On another note, I have Eau Duelle on my other arm, and it is lasting even longer than TD EDP, although all I can get is a very subtle powdery vanilla from it now, very close to the skin.

I was just curious though, I like to know exactly what I'm getting before spending 100+ on a bottle. I am contemplating which Diptyque fragrance I wanna buy.. right now it's a toss up between Eau Duelle EDT, or Philosykos EDP.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

The buttery thing is inherent in the early stages of santalum album from my experience - I suspect there is a lactoney coconut in there that maybe enhances this a bit - dunno. Have you worn pure Mysore Oil T_C? The EDP is a good take on the pure stuff.

I tried Duelle and it was okay but just a tame vanilla really - pleasant enough, safe and not too sweet.

Have you tried Volutes EDT & EDP? Worth a look - one of their best releases in ages IMO.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

There are few fragrances that don't contain some vanilla. Pyramids have always been mostly fantasy. Today even more so because most of the ingredients are synthetic and not called by the proper names. Most fragrances contain two hundred ingredients or so, even something like Tam Dao. Luckyscent descriptions are sometimes helpful but they're mainly there to further the fantasy.

But for the hell of it, this would be a more accurate pyramid of Tam Dao EDT :

Myrtle, Rose, Cypress
    Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Spices
    Amber, Rosewood, Musk

A little boring but it's a good fragrance. Probably makes a better ambient scent than an actual fragrance. Easy to wear dry, semi-sweet woody. Like most Diptyques its tenacious with good redolent output until it burns out. I like the older Diptyques. Tam Dao EDP seems good. Like most fragrances today it felt like it relied too much on sugary molecules. The EDT is probably something more consistently wearable. Great to spray on your sheets, etc.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th April 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Stopped by the Diptyque shop last week. They gave me some nice spray samples of the EDP Tam Dao, which I wore over the weekend.
    Yes, there are some major differences from the original, which posters above have detailed quite nicely. My major problem with the original EDT was the lack of longevity, so naturally I was thrilled by the appearance of a more concentrated interpretation. But....problem not really solved. Tam Dao EDP has a strong opening but duration is still a problem. The top notes are captivating, but the heart notes fade quickly and then there's just the faintest trail (all of this is subjective to me and my chemistry, obviously). And this story doesn't take hours to unfold, but minutes. Too bad - I wanted that bottle (isn't it beautiful, so glossy and black?) but no go.

I'm on hour 5 today with Tam Dao EdP...still detectable when I stick my nose to the back of my hand and on my shirt where I sprayed. Obviously not as strong as when I first spritzed, but it's developed nicely into a skin scent. I was still getting strong wafts until just about hour 4 into the wear.

I get a full day out of the EDP...yeah, it becomes more of a skin scent about 4 hours in, but my wife still smells it on me when I come home from work...there are so many factors into why an individual may not smell it after a short while that I wouldn't sign off on it as having poor longevity.

I'm sorry for you guys who get poor longevity with it, personally I got a full days worth. I put it on around noon, and it lasted me past midnight, until I went to sleep, but I couldn't detect it in the morning. I should note that longevity to me.. is until it's completely gone. Some consider longevity to be just the time when it project. I don't think that would make sense when describing fragrances, since most stop projecting after the 4 hour mark at best. To me.. it's until the skin goes completely neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    The buttery thing is inherent in the early stages of santalum album from my experience - I suspect there is a lactoney coconut in there that maybe enhances this a bit - dunno. Have you worn pure Mysore Oil T_C? The EDP is a good take on the pure stuff.

I tried Duelle and it was okay but just a tame vanilla really - pleasant enough, safe and not too sweet.

Have you tried Volutes EDT & EDP? Worth a look - one of their best releases in ages IMO.
    Haven't tried Volutes, although I wanted to, I asked them for a sample, but they never sent it. I haven't tried Mysore sandalwood oil either, it's pretty rare from what I understand. I'm not big on essential/fragrant oil smelling, for me, it's just an extra expense. I would never wear them as a fragrance, plus I don't think they are healthy for your skin.

I also really wanted to try Eau Duelle EDP, as I have no idea how this one compares to the EDT. I'm very fond of the EDT, to me it's far more than just a vanilla scent. I love the utilization of pink pepper somewhere in the middle and almost in the base, I've never seen pink pepper used that way, as it's usually a very "in your face" note. Here it's quite subdued, almost hard to detect. I love the fruitiness of pink pepper, and I think it adds real character to Eau Duelle.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

I'm on the 7.5 hour mark and Tam Dao is still holding on to my skin...lightly though which is to be expected. It's still easily detected on my shirt...if my girlfriend were to lay next to me for example...I'm sure she would comment that I smell good. Can someone smell this one from across the room? Definitely not. I'm loving this stuff and I'll have a more in depth look this week or next.

Volutes EdP, I received a few days ago in the form of a sample atomizer and I'm glad I spend $10 on the sample rather than buying blind.

I was so excited to try this one and I have to say that I was really let down. I don't smell tobacco...I smell honey, amber and vanilla. Yet again, where is the tobacco? I guess I was expecting the tobacco to show up and it never did...that is where my disappointment stems from. For those seeking a somewhat price-conscious, yet still high quality alternative to Tobacco Vanille, this is it. A good fragrance indeed, I'm just tired of the overtly sweet "tobacco" fragrance that smells more like pipe tobacco flavoring agents than anything. Just my two cents! Sorry for the off-topic rant...

The EDT / EDP options Diptyque are doing are great IMO - some thought going into what's on offer and actual alternative riffs on a theme.

Duelle also comes as a roll-on, I think, and a friend swears by it.

I prefer Volutes EDT to the EDP - the light tobacco is more pronounced and the whole thing is airier, more space to it. The EDP is cool - a little more tightly packed and floral. I find Volutes to be a more sophisticated 'sweet' tobacco than TV, which has a great opening but then descends into vanilla candle hell for me.
    ― Isaac Asimov

The concerns on this site with "projection and longevity" are amusing. Both Tam Daos last a long time. The edp goes 12 hours plus easy. Longer than I wanted even though it's a pretty good fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The concerns on this site with "projection and longevity" are amusing. Both Tam Daos last a long time. The edp goes 12 hours plus easy. Longer than I wanted even though it's a pretty good fragrance.
    It's always amused me that there is this strange thing about silledge and loooooongeviddee and at the same time an almost religious adherence to the 'max 2 - 3 spray rule, dude'.

I don't know about other people but I tend to make up my own mind about how much to wear based on the style of the composition, the weather, where I am and the circumstances, and of course the phase of the moon and whether I'm wearing leather or rubber soled shoes.

Whatever.

I'm wearing Tam Dao EDP today - generous application and yes, it has considerable tenacity - an absolute pleasure
    ― Isaac Asimov

It's always amused me that there is this strange thing about silledge and loooooongeviddee and at the same time an almost religious adherence to the 'max 2 - 3 spray rule, dude'.

I don't know about other people but I tend to make up my own mind about how much to wear based on the style of the composition, the weather, where I am and the circumstances, and of course the phase of the moon and whether I'm wearing leather or rubber soled shoes.

Whatever.

I'm wearing Tam Dao EDP today - generous application and yes, it has considerable tenacity - an absolute pleasure
    I hadn't thought about that 2-3 spray rule. :-) Great post mr. reasonable.

After smelling and wearing fragrances so fanatically for so many years, it seems like almost all of them last a good amount of time. And why the incessant need for massive "silledge and loooooongeviddee" ? I was talking to a woman at The Perfume House about it. I think we got it figured out. More to come.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th April 2014 at 07:53 AM.

Longevity has always mattered to me as I'd like to at least sniff a fragrance for 6 hour more hours. However, I think most people on this site think longevity means others should be able to smell you from afar for more than 6 hours.

Whatever.

Love you!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Trying the EdP now, and really enjoying it. It is much closer to Iunx L'Arbre, than it is to TD EdT, which was all cedar shavings. To my nose.
    These two are quite different.

On the longevity subject. Some of these Diptyque's honestly last too long on me. Ya I said it.. I am not fond of fragrance base notes lingering on the skin for hours and hours. It ruins the opportunity to put on a new SOTD. I typically like to wear 2 different frags a day, one in the AM, one in the PM. Tam Dao EDP lasts soooo long on me, It must have stayed on my skin for 16+ hours before the skin became neutral again. I like my stuff to last about 8 hours, maybe 10 max. That's why I think Philosykos EDP may be what I go with, since it gives me what I'm looking for. best of all it projects pretty nicely around the 6 hour mark too which is nice. Eau Duelle EDP I really like, but the base leaves me with a boring soft, very soft powdery vanilla scent, sitting very close to the skin for many many hours. Just gets boring ya know, and interferes with my scent of the night!
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I typically like to wear 2 different frags a day, one in the AM, one in the PM. Tam Dao EDP lasts soooo long on me, It must have stayed on my skin for 16+ hours before the skin became neutral again.
    Hi Cologneist, that's why you have two arms!

Btw, I agree with you about the longevity of the EdP. It was still going strong on me this morning, pre-shower. But, I love the smell of sandalwood in the morning!

I'm with you James, nothing wrong with smelling like sandalwood for an extended amount of time. There's much worse out there you could smell like. In all seriousness, the EdP takes the cake in terms of best sandalwood I've tried to date. I'm excited to spend more time with it. I like it so much, I picked up another bottle from the for sale thread here, never want to be without this stuff. Good thing is, Diptyque rarely discontinues fragrances, love that about the company.

Basenotes Institution

Whatever.

Amen!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wearing Diptyque Tam Dao Eau de Parfum today, it's my 2nd wear and I love this stuff...bought a second bottle at a good price and decided to buy the Eau de Toilette as well (hoping it will be better than what I remember.) I guess I've been a little sandalwood crazy lately. Anyway...here are a few more thoughts on the EdP after spending a second day with it.

At first spray a light lime and fresh ginger meet a sharp but beautiful sandalwood note. After the lime fades the sandalwood takes a hesitant step back as it gets much creamier with the addition of a mellow coconut; drying down into a warm, rich and opulent sandalwood after a fresh-woody start. I will say what was very interesting about Tam Dao is the opening sandalwood note smelled much like the New Caledonian Sandalwood Absolute that I've used before while the dry down reveals what smells like Mysore or Indian Rare Sandalwood from Eden (wondering if both are used in this one.) I get excellent longevity, yes it becomes a skin scent after a few hours in, but that is to be expected from an EdP and I have no qualms with that. I love this fragrance already...one of those rare love at first sniffs.
    Last edited by rynegne; 14th April 2014 at 03:32 AM.