Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: the great youtube burnout

yeah, the "Ummm yeah, I like dis" ones that drag on for 12 minutes are annoying as are the 8 minute vids with 5 minutes of that being devoted to "unboxing", discussing the box, the bottle and the cap then a less than stellar "review" about something that may actually be a very good scent or a very mediocre one but it's hard to tell because this guy thought the sprayer or the cap was far more fascinating. Some however are very good and quite informative especially the ones where they do several fragrances at a time.

From Marc's last video I'm not sure he'll be around much longer either. Outro/Goodbye Season 15.

I use YouTube as a resource especially when blind buying. I've learned over time who has similar tastes to mine...and who are complete opposites.

The ones I follow for the most part: CoachRob619, ManLovesCologne, dracdoc, lilangry, robes08, Karl Pearson, and The Fragrance Apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Couldn't agree more!!! Love Marc's insight but I tend to lose interest because they are WAY too long.(sometimes DracDoc and even the Fragrance Bros. can be a little long winded too) That's why I really dig 860 Cologne's videos, very informative and quick....usually no longer than 5 mins, which is plenty of time IMO for a thorough review.
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Insurrection II Dark
    Taxi by Confinluxe
    Bravo - Diamond Collection (Copy of Only the Brave by Diesel)
    Bravo Tattoo - Diamond Collection (Copy of Only The Brave Tattoo by Diesel)
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I haven't really watched many YouTube reviews, but the same could be said about Basenoters. The number of people who have been members on this site is immense. Just look when an old thread gets reborn - some of the posters - many of whom have thousands of posts - are long gone.

I keep expecting that to be me, but for some reason I am still into it.
    But then again many of those members left for reasons not relating to their lost passions and are active elsewhere like personal blogs.

I'm not a huge fan of the Youtube review thing, theres maybe a handful of reviewers who are actually passionate and knowledgeable on fragrances and who I like watching on occasion (Robes08, Betawiblood, Le Grand Duc although he doesn't post anymore) and the rest are not really worth watching IMO. But I've been hearing for awhile now the trend of Youtube reviews has gone down significantly, I guess people just moved on.

I think I'll always consider fragrances to be a hobby of mine. Whether I'm on the boards or not in a few years doesn't mean I lost interest, it might mean I, or others, found other ways to gather information and express interest. I suspect this is true for many past BN members.

People assume that there is considerable expense to continue reviewing a fragrance each week on Youtube. Of course, the blind buy 100 ml bottle is roughly going to be about 70 or 80 dollars. Also, let's not forget that youtube reviewers like to get intoxicated before getting in front of the camera. Depending on your poison, that could easily add an extra 10 or 20 bucks to the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    People assume that there is considerable expense to continue reviewing a fragrance each week on Youtube. Of course, the blind buy 100 ml bottle is roughly going to be about 70 or 80 dollars. Also, let's not forget that youtube reviewers like to get intoxicated before getting in front of the camera. Depending on your poison, that could easily add an extra 10 or 20 bucks to the equation.
    Lol! Yes, it seems like this is the new current trend for a few fragrance reviews....sure hope it doesn't catch on!

Youtube has been making it very hard (it started earlier this year) on popular but not popular enough channels to get paid decent money on clicks. It's not what it used to be 2 years ago. I don't know the exact details but they changed something in the "paying per clicks" policy.

I know it's probably not the reason those fragrance guys quit, since most of them did it for the passion/fun i guess, but still something to consider...
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 9th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Kerosene was my favourite YT reviewer.

Just on the subject of people getting paied for youtube stuff since I know a bit about it. It deff can be pretty hard. I actually had over 4 million views for something before youtube finally allowed my channel to be monetized to make money. And even since then ive still had other random videos that get flagged for something like sex in a video that has nothing to do with anything like that. And they just refuse to view it. I also dont know exactly how they calculate how much money you get. But I do know theyve taken money from me randomly before as well. shrug

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
    Just on the subject of people getting paied for youtube stuff since I know a bit about it. ...
    I heard you get $1 for every 1000 views. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by tjarksd View Post
    From Marc's last video I'm not sure he'll be around much longer either.
    I think he'll move onto different social networking. Remember. He started in 2009. The internet has changed a lot since then and Youtube isn't the only outlet you can become viral on anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I hope YouTube reviews do not cease. YT reviews were my initial entry into this fragrance obsession. I found YT, which then led me to BN. I rarely watch YT anymore as I feel everything I need is right here at BN. Every once in awhile though, I will check out Dracdoc, Mickers, or Robes just to see what they are excited about. I don't watch reviews anymore at all. Only top 10s and the like. If I want a review on something I just come here to BN or go to the "other" site as YT rarely ever has reviews for the fragrances I am interested in. Rock on YT!!
    That's my story exactly as well. Started on YT. Went to BN. I watch some, but I watch less because (a) I already know the basics of fragrances now and (b) many of the reviewers I watched retired.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I heard you get $1 for every 1000 views. Is that true?
    Between $1 and $7(sometimes even more).

Depends on the channel's popularity and consistency in releasing as many "popular" daily videos as possible.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Youtube is a medium that favors daily vlogging over larger bi-monthly projects because most subscribers will give a view to any video whether it's a 1 minute vlog or an hour film

I have always found that perfume is one subject difficult to capture on non-olfactory media. This means neither videos nor written reviews can really adequately convey reviewers' thoughts with reference to the actual product/piece being reviewed. Compare this to music, or visual artworks.

In this sense, I think a lot of people would rather (skim) read reviews than to watch long-winded videos. Videos are also more time-consuming to make compared to just writing out a quick review whether on blogs or on social media such as Twitter or FB. So, I think there is an equilibrium back towards the written medium.

I've seen a few of them that I like for various reasons. Plenty of them are at least amusing. Many of them are as bad as it gets. Katie Puckrik is genuinely good, and fun. We need to go hang out. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 10th April 2014 at 06:26 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    I have always found that perfume is one subject difficult to capture on non-olfactory media. This means neither videos nor written reviews can really adequately convey reviewers' thoughts with reference to the actual product/piece being reviewed. Compare this to music, or visual artworks.

In this sense, I think a lot of people would rather (skim) read reviews than to watch long-winded videos. Videos are also more time-consuming to make compared to just writing out a quick review whether on blogs or on social media such as Twitter or FB. So, I think there is an equilibrium back towards the written medium.
    Youtube was made to reach out to a more general audience who had no idea there was a fragrance community but just decided to youtube the name of a fragrance they just bought. And then they stumbled on the fragrance community. Like me in 2011.

Agree on it being hard to convey how a fragrance smells through words. But some descriptions have been uncannily accurate.

For videos, I do think the reviewer's personality does factor in. I don't just watch reviewers to get basic info like longevity, but to get a bit of humanity from them.

Yes, people do move on to other things eventually. That is not to say that they will stop using fragrances - THAT is a lifelong thing. But the intensity of the "journeys" does lighten up with time (not for everyone, but for a lot of people).

Even from my own experience, when I stumbled upon this community I was kinda overwhelmed with the vastness of the fragrance world and was trying to get my hands on so many things. But now I look at what I have and I say to myself, perhaps it is time to slow down. As for me, I cant think as a true collector. I buy fragrances with the idea in mind to use them up and it even kinda frustrates me when I cant enjoy them due to such a huge selection, barely making a dent in any of the bottles in my collection. Sometimes, less IS more and this is definitely the case for me here..

I think it's safe to say that most of the modern designers are basically uninspired and pointless compared to many of the ones that were released years ago. So...... we all move on to niche brands, and the houses can be unheard of, so nobody watches your videos, which means less motivation to unload them. So, audience apathy and designer house apathy are both responsible for the decline, I think.

In many of the ones I've watched, after a rambling introduction (what I did last time, what someone said about it, where I went for my holidays etc), spend most of the time on the box, bottle and sprayer and don't say that much about the scent itself. I guess that gets kind of boring for the video-maker as well as the viewers after a bit. 'Here we have another box. Looks a bit like the last one....'
    He boiled for our sins
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

YouTube reviews. It's a young man's game.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Creed - Virgin Island Water
    10. Kenneth Cole - Black

I generally don't watch Youtube reviews. The only exceptions are haul videos and top 10/20 fragrances videos. I especially can't stand video reviews that are long and drawn out. Some are around 20 minutes. I don't have the patience to sit through that. Would prefer reading through many reviews instead.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    Youtube was made to reach out to a more general audience who had no idea there was a fragrance community but just decided to youtube the name of a fragrance they just bought. And then they stumbled on the fragrance community. Like me in 2011.
    Good point, which makes me wonder why so few people have taken fragrances "seriously" as a hobby. Like you mentioned, I guess one can say you "progressed" from just watching youtube videos to joining this site, and becoming more and more interested in the hobby. I actually don't feel that this trend is very common, but instead it seems like there's two distinct fragrance communities- the uptight, elitist snobs at basenotes and the casual bro-ey slobs on Youtube (to stereotype, obviously), and that each community stays in their places. Basenotes can be a little alienating I guess, but I still find it odd that, at least from my observations, people don't seem to become hardcore interested in learning about fragrances.

Looks like half of the FragranceBros (Jer) left also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZo90d16w38

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Looks like half of the FragranceBros (Jer) left also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZo90d16w38
    Fragrance bro?
    Currently wearing: Tzora by Anat Fritz

I see good opportunities for new reviewers to fill to void. It's up for grabs. Not hard for a decent looking, well spoken individually with decent fragrance knowledge to snatch up the subscriber/view counts. The past reviewers have done great in building a stronger baseline for new folks to platform off of. Hopefully, sticking to norms of evolution, the new up and coming reviewers will be better than the last.

I would love to see real noses/perfumers in schooling do reviews. Obviously this is a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Fragrance bro?
    "Hey Guys! It's Dave here and I'm the Fragrance Bro!"

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Oh man, that's a bummer....they were my favorite reviewers. Great insight and entertaining

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Oh man, that's a bummer....they were my favorite reviewers. Great insight and entertaining
    I agree, they were always fun to watch. I hate to see him go since I thought he was the more entertaining of the two.