Code of Conduct

Default the great youtube burnout

I noticed that lots of youtube reviewers have stopped reviewing or slowed down.

TSwetcoff (Tim) hasn't been active for 3 years. CutlassSupreme (Brandon) hasn't reviewed fragrances in over a year, and his new hobby seems to be aquariums. Ash4245 (Ash) has been more focused on Aspergers videos and less on fragrances. JRWRITER (Jonathan) went to the Air Force and has hasn't made a fragrance review in about 2 years. He personally told me that he sold half his collection. Dracdoc (Cody) has been selling fragrances too, but he's still in the game for sure. Lots of other reviewers have vanished too.

For many people, fragrance collecting is an obsession that fades away. Especially if you burden yourself with making youtube videos every week on top of working and daily life obligations.

With me, I feel a bit like them. I'm always going to own fragrances my whole life (even if it's just two). But I don't see myself going back to the level of obsession I had. Fragrances were the center of my universe and the highlight of each of my weeks. I still have passion that resurges occasionally. I might not do anything fragrance related aside from wearing cologne for about 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden, I might just go to Neiman Marcus and smell the whole counter of fragrances.

It's definitely really sad to see the people I watched as I grew into fragrances quit. But on the other hand, I'm slowing down too.

---

EDIT 4/10/14

Robes08 announced that he's thinking of retiring from Youtube because he wanted more time to spend with his newborn son and that making videos was way more time-consuming and wasn't flexible with his schedule. So, he's planning to write reviews on a blog instead.

Personally, I think it's because of the format he uses. He calculates, writes, plans, records at length, meticulously edits, so he drains himself of energy just to make perfect reviews.
    Last edited by SereneGreen; 10th April 2014 at 05:09 AM.

Default Re: the great youtube burnout

I used to enjoy listening to Ash4245 speak about a variety of fragrances.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Because I'm sure most of them see it as the cool thing to do, and were destined to lose interest from the beginning.
    I have no interest in the YouTube reviews. But I'll say Marc is the only one that I think like perfume because he likes perfume.

This isn't the only "hobby" this sort of thing happens with.

It seems to be the kind of hobby that attracts what they used to call "type A personalities," or at least those are the ones who may be more likely to "burn out." To me, what makes this hobby more fun than others is that I can wear a scent after not having done so for perhaps a year and I find it to be at least as interesting as the first wearing. I think some people become what I call "chronic samplers," and after a while they seem to get bored and move on to something else. It may be that such people tend to be more interested in top notes, so that after they've experienced so many combinations it feels to them like there is nothing new. Too bad so few post about why they became less enthusiastic, if they didn't abandon it entirely.

I appreciate a lot of YouTube reviewers and generally enjoy their content; however, a lot of their videos are WAY too long.

A fragrance review should not take over 20 minutes! In fact, I would say 10 min is a nice cap on how much time spent reviewing a fragrance. A lot of times they just ramble on and on with filler words and irrelevant droll. If they would spend half of the time making videos, their viewers would be better served, and perhaps they wouldn't get quite as burnt out.

I followed many of the reviewers over the last few years. I too have noticed the change. It sounds like a lot of work for the reviewers to make the videos. I would also imagine finances kick in as well. You might start this hobby / interest to find as the months and years pass by you start to see the cost of it. Not everyone has deep pockets to keep reviewing another fragrances. Sounds like robes08 might stop his youtube chanel in the future. I hope not, but hey life also gets busy. Well at least Basenotes will be here to support the passion.
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

I haven't really watched many YouTube reviews, but the same could be said about Basenoters. The number of people who have been members on this site is immense. Just look when an old thread gets reborn - some of the posters - many of whom have thousands of posts - are long gone.

I keep expecting that to be me, but for some reason I am still into it.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

All of youtube could vanish without a trace and it would not affect my interest in perfumes one bit.

I don't think there's any inherent relationship between interest in perfume and interest in making or watching videos about perfume.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I appreciate a lot of YouTube reviewers and generally enjoy their content; however, a lot of their videos are WAY too long.

A fragrance review should not take over 20 minutes! In fact, I would say 10 min is a nice cap on how much time spent reviewing a fragrance. A lot of times they just ramble on and on with filler words and irrelevant droll. If they would spend half of the time making videos, their viewers would be better served, and perhaps they wouldn't get quite as burnt out.
    Couldn't agree more!!! Love Marc's insight but I tend to lose interest because they are WAY too long.(sometimes DracDoc and even the Fragrance Bros. can be a little long winded too) That's why I really dig 860 Cologne's videos, very informative and quick....usually no longer than 5 mins, which is plenty of time IMO for a thorough review.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I noticed that lots of youtube reviewers have stopped reviewing or slowed down.

TSwetcoff (Tim) hasn't been active for 3 years. CutlassSupreme (Brandon) hasn't reviewed fragrances in over a year, and his new hobby seems to be aquariums. Ash4245 (Ash) has been more focused on Aspergers videos and less on fragrances. JRWRITER (Jonathan) went to the Air Force and has hasn't made a fragrance review in about 2 years. He personally told me that he sold half his collection. Dracdoc (Cody) has been selling fragrances too, but he's still in the game for sure. Lots of other reviewers have vanished too.

I know lots of people on here have collected fragrances for life, but I think for some it's an obsession that's bound to wane a bit. Especially if you burden yourself with making youtube videos every week on top of working and daily life obligations. With me, I feel a bit like them. I'm always going to own fragrances my whole life (even if it's just two). But I don't see myself going back to the level of obsession I had. Fragrances were the center of my universe and the highlight of each of my weeks. I still have passion that resurges occasionally. I might not do anything fragrance related aside from wearing cologne for about 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden, I might just go to Neiman Marcus and smell the whole counter of fragrances.

It's definitely really sad to see the people I watched as I grew into fragrances quit. But on the other hand, I'm slowing down too.
    Dude. Slow down all you want. Just don't quit. The reason I'm here today, and at this level now, is because I had people like NoirDrakkar to follow...

Genuinely missing, in addition to the aforementioned reviewers, to see more reviews by Basenotes members like Le Grand Duc or ForFreddie- both had very informative but also wittily phrased, often smartly entertaining reviews, also covering quite diverse fragrances with interesting viewpoints, insights on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I used to enjoy listening to Ash4245 speak about a variety of fragrances.
    Yeah. Though I still do like his vlogs about aspergers and such.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Because I'm sure most of them see it as the cool thing to do, and were destined to lose interest from the beginning.
    I have no interest in the YouTube reviews. But I'll say Marc is the only one that I think like perfume because he likes perfume.

This isn't the only "hobby" this sort of thing happens with.
    Agree. Frags were this cool new thing and they overloaded themselves with so much, they got bored of it fast. I think it's no coincidence people like Marc and Al are still in the game.

They're older.

They've had this interest for years before they went on the internet. A lot of young people are still not sure what they want to do with their lives. They're less stable and live at a faster pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It seems to be the kind of hobby that attracts what they used to call "type A personalities," or at least those are the ones who may be more likely to "burn out."

Too bad so few post about why they became less enthusiastic, if they didn't abandon it entirely.
    Well, my posts over the years have been like a diary diarrhea. My reasons for interest waning are clear, but I agree. Everyone else seems to leave abruptly rather than fade away.

For those who don't know "type A" personalities are over-ambitious hands-on proactive and "type b" personalities are laid-back. And I'd definitely agree. Lots of people like me wanted to sample everything, be the fragrance master. Whereas type-b's would just own 5 fragrances and call it a day.

A fragrance review should not take over 20 minutes! In fact, I would say 10 min is a nice cap

If they would spend half of the time making videos, their viewers would be better served, and perhaps they wouldn't get quite as burnt out.
    Totally agree. After 10 minutes, gains start to diminish and points get repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Next View Post
    I would also imagine finances kick in as well. You might start this hobby / interest to find as the months and years pass by you start to see the cost of it.

If fragrances are the center of your world, you'll spend $1000-5000 easily. If you are more down-to-earth about fragrances, it's harder to justify the money.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    the same could be said about Basenoters. The number of people who have been members on this site is immense. Just look when an old thread gets reborn - some of the posters - many of whom have thousands of posts - are long gone.
    yeah, i think it's an overall trend. i don't think i'll be as active on here as i was in the noirdrakkar era (2011-2013). But I'll still post on here every now and then. I promise at least a yearly check in. Something tells me I will be posting on here 5 years from now because there are plenty of other websites that I've been on for 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    I don't think there's any inherent relationship between interest in perfume and interest in making or watching videos about perfume.
    Making videos is more involved. More work than posting on forums, unless you post a ton.
    Last edited by SereneGreen; 8th April 2014 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 601red View Post
    Dude. Slow down all you want. Just don't quit. The reason I'm here today, and at this level now, is because I had people like NoirDrakkar to follow...
    I'm really touched and honored. No joke. To think that the posts I've made over the years as ND has inspired people to get into fragrances really gives me a sense of fulfilment.

Trust me, I'm not quitting. I'm slowing down so I don't burnout. The past 6 months, I've barely been involved with fragrances, the community and I haven't bought anything, and bam, here I am right now.

I enjoy watching the Youtube reviewers but mostly for the entertainment value. While I don't always watch fragrance review videos (and some can be a little irritating), I love the passion and energy these people have for their fragrances. They are all "real" people with real lives, jobs, families, etc. I applaud them for taking the time and energy it takes to shoot, edit, and load these videos. I'm surprised most of them are as prolific as they are considering how much time it takes to produce every video.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Real life beckons, pulling heads out of fragranced clouds. Nothing I'd lament about. Anyway it's always good to take sabbaticals and explore new things. Doing the same thing day in day out is a recipe for burnouts.

I would agree with this. Some of the reviews are fairly lengthy. I'm sure you can get the actual review done in under 5-6 minutes or so.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

they were all sad, anyway....

For a few months, I would've considered my fragrance hobby an obsession. Thankfully I'm out of that stage. Keep in mind that I've only been really interested for about a year now. At this point, I feel like I have accumulated about as much as I need, with just a few left on my to-buy list. I came to this conclusion when I realized that a bunch of my favorites were getting neglected, even though my collection (~50) is small compared to most here. However, I still have great interest in this board due mostly to the great members.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Real life beckons, pulling heads out of fragranced clouds. Nothing I'd lament about. Anyway it's always good to take sabbaticals and explore new things. Doing the same thing day in day out is a recipe for burnouts.
    Not as much sabbaticals as they are vanishers who never come back.

Real life always beckon. We just choose to allocate our time. I totally don't understand how you go from making 3 videos a week and spending hours on the internet reading about fragrances to being too busy to spend 5 minutes to put out a short update video. How does something that was the center of your universe suddenly become nothing.

I think it wasn't just waning interest, but a conscious mindset to quit fragrances. Maybe they realized their hobby to be silly and don't want to be embarassed in front of their friends. Maybe they realized they were addicted to fragrances and that it was a waste of time so they angrily abandoned it.

I just don't get how hundreds of hours is manageable and then all of a sudden 5 stinking minutes is too much time.

other than less than a handful of video reviewers, they added no value. If anything, that actually detracted from the passion itself.

Ummm ok, here's latest eau de bro cologne (bottle clearly labeled eau de parfum) in sports version

*clumsily sprays wrist*

Yah so the bottle is cylindrical shape, this is a panty dropper, box is white...sniff sniff
    Yah it smells lemony
    I think this is a panty dropper (guy's never been laid)..

Sniff sniff

Yah & now it's woody & musky

This really works for class, playing video games, watching football, dropping panties, clubbing, eating subs, feeling a million bucks

This is definitely a panty dropper
    Last edited by hedonist222; 9th April 2014 at 09:30 AM.

for swap/sale:

Hah, I've only watched a few different reviewers on there. I give anyone credit for making a public video with the amount of nasty trolls lurking on the web, but I agree that even my favorite reviewer, Marc, was making his vids too long, at least for me. I'd rather retire early or whatever than purchase those huge "hauls", but it was definitely impressive. It's funny that it's almost sad when he does a "goodbye" vid and I don't even know him, hah. He also sounds like he wants to slow way down, at least on YouTube.

It does seem to me that it's natural for the lifespan of a youtube reviewer to be relatively short, perhaps 1 or 2 good years. The new guys are the ones buying most of the bottles, have all the enthusiasm, and due to lack of knowledge, think everything they smell is fantastic. I notice that most of the old dogs on youtube keep going by selling or splitting their stuff all the time. With all the hassle of fraud or broken or lost parcels, etc., I hesitate to go that path. I mostly do sample videos. Of course, it's hard to compete with the guys that show off their 300 dollar niche bottles, when you hold up an empty .7 ml Luckyscent vial. But, I love reviewing, so I keep going, irregardless of my Nielson rating on Youtube.

The obsession with YouTube reviewers on here is hilarious. Rest assured, you give us all a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    The obsession with YouTube reviewers on here is hilarious. Rest assured, you give us all a good laugh.
    You think? I think there is a YouTube thread once every 6 months or so if I am not mistaken (at least that's how it seems to me). It actually seems to me that YouTube is a non-entity here on Basenotes. I'm actually surprised that other fragrance outlets aren't discussed more around here. But honestly, YT really flies under the radar for the most part. But apparently some people do enjoy - or at least watch - them. But certainly no obsession.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Puredistance - Black
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Over saturating yourself with anything can lead to desensitization "voila" boredom.....Balance is key. They are just few that can withstand this and they are far and in between but balance is the key.....peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

You think? I think there is a YouTube thread once every 6 months or so if I am not mistaken (at least that's how it seems to me). It actually seems to me that YouTube is a non-entity here on Basenotes. I'm actually surprised that other fragrance outlets aren't discussed more around here. But honestly, YT really flies under the radar for the most part. But apparently some people do enjoy - or at least watch - them. But certainly no obsession.
    Agree. It seems more like QWERTYOP has an obsession with BN as every time someone mentions a YT reviewer/video he has to chime in to defend his medium from the snobby elitist BN'ers. Actually, we almost never see him here unless someone mentions YT.

Use to have an obsession with watches. After a few years, I just got bored. Stopped collecting. People sometimes change interest in their hobbies.

I hope YouTube reviews do not cease. YT reviews were my initial entry into this fragrance obsession. I found YT, which then led me to BN. I rarely watch YT anymore as I feel everything I need is right here at BN. Every once in awhile though, I will check out Dracdoc, Mickers, or Robes just to see what they are excited about. I don't watch reviews anymore at all. Only top 10s and the like. If I want a review on something I just come here to BN or go to the "other" site as YT rarely ever has reviews for the fragrances I am interested in. Rock on YT!!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

I quite enjoy some of the Youtube reviewers. I subscribe to 7 or 8. I prefer the collection or haul videos rather than the reviews though. It's just like a video version of "Today I Bought..".

Maybe not worth the time and effort, unless you get some advertising money if you get enough clicks? (never explored Youtube that deeply). Plus you may get yelled at online for having a top 100 that not everybody approves of.
    There are only so many affordable/good perfumes one can wear and own and that are different from each other.
    People realise they're addicts and quit Youtube and Basenotes to recover.
    Etc.

yeah, the "Ummm yeah, I like dis" ones that drag on for 12 minutes are annoying as are the 8 minute vids with 5 minutes of that being devoted to "unboxing", discussing the box, the bottle and the cap then a less than stellar "review" about something that may actually be a very good scent or a very mediocre one but it's hard to tell because this guy thought the sprayer or the cap was far more fascinating. Some however are very good and quite informative especially the ones where they do several fragrances at a time.

From Marc's last video I'm not sure he'll be around much longer either. Outro/Goodbye Season 15.

I use YouTube as a resource especially when blind buying. I've learned over time who has similar tastes to mine...and who are complete opposites.

The ones I follow for the most part: CoachRob619, ManLovesCologne, dracdoc, lilangry, robes08, Karl Pearson, and The Fragrance Apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Couldn't agree more!!! Love Marc's insight but I tend to lose interest because they are WAY too long.(sometimes DracDoc and even the Fragrance Bros. can be a little long winded too) That's why I really dig 860 Cologne's videos, very informative and quick....usually no longer than 5 mins, which is plenty of time IMO for a thorough review.
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

I haven't really watched many YouTube reviews, but the same could be said about Basenoters. The number of people who have been members on this site is immense. Just look when an old thread gets reborn - some of the posters - many of whom have thousands of posts - are long gone.

I keep expecting that to be me, but for some reason I am still into it.
    But then again many of those members left for reasons not relating to their lost passions and are active elsewhere like personal blogs.

I'm not a huge fan of the Youtube review thing, theres maybe a handful of reviewers who are actually passionate and knowledgeable on fragrances and who I like watching on occasion (Robes08, Betawiblood, Le Grand Duc although he doesn't post anymore) and the rest are not really worth watching IMO. But I've been hearing for awhile now the trend of Youtube reviews has gone down significantly, I guess people just moved on.

I think I'll always consider fragrances to be a hobby of mine. Whether I'm on the boards or not in a few years doesn't mean I lost interest, it might mean I, or others, found other ways to gather information and express interest. I suspect this is true for many past BN members.

People assume that there is considerable expense to continue reviewing a fragrance each week on Youtube. Of course, the blind buy 100 ml bottle is roughly going to be about 70 or 80 dollars. Also, let's not forget that youtube reviewers like to get intoxicated before getting in front of the camera. Depending on your poison, that could easily add an extra 10 or 20 bucks to the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    People assume that there is considerable expense to continue reviewing a fragrance each week on Youtube. Of course, the blind buy 100 ml bottle is roughly going to be about 70 or 80 dollars. Also, let's not forget that youtube reviewers like to get intoxicated before getting in front of the camera. Depending on your poison, that could easily add an extra 10 or 20 bucks to the equation.
    Lol! Yes, it seems like this is the new current trend for a few fragrance reviews....sure hope it doesn't catch on!

Youtube has been making it very hard (it started earlier this year) on popular but not popular enough channels to get paid decent money on clicks. It's not what it used to be 2 years ago. I don't know the exact details but they changed something in the "paying per clicks" policy.

I know it's probably not the reason those fragrance guys quit, since most of them did it for the passion/fun i guess, but still something to consider...
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 9th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Kerosene was my favourite YT reviewer.

Just on the subject of people getting paied for youtube stuff since I know a bit about it. It deff can be pretty hard. I actually had over 4 million views for something before youtube finally allowed my channel to be monetized to make money. And even since then ive still had other random videos that get flagged for something like sex in a video that has nothing to do with anything like that. And they just refuse to view it. I also dont know exactly how they calculate how much money you get. But I do know theyve taken money from me randomly before as well. shrug

Quote Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
    Just on the subject of people getting paied for youtube stuff since I know a bit about it. ...
    I heard you get $1 for every 1000 views. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by tjarksd View Post
    From Marc's last video I'm not sure he'll be around much longer either.
    I think he'll move onto different social networking. Remember. He started in 2009. The internet has changed a lot since then and Youtube isn't the only outlet you can become viral on anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I hope YouTube reviews do not cease. YT reviews were my initial entry into this fragrance obsession. I found YT, which then led me to BN. I rarely watch YT anymore as I feel everything I need is right here at BN. Every once in awhile though, I will check out Dracdoc, Mickers, or Robes just to see what they are excited about. I don't watch reviews anymore at all. Only top 10s and the like. If I want a review on something I just come here to BN or go to the "other" site as YT rarely ever has reviews for the fragrances I am interested in. Rock on YT!!
    That's my story exactly as well. Started on YT. Went to BN. I watch some, but I watch less because (a) I already know the basics of fragrances now and (b) many of the reviewers I watched retired.

I heard you get $1 for every 1000 views. Is that true?
    Between $1 and $7(sometimes even more).

Depends on the channel's popularity and consistency in releasing as many "popular" daily videos as possible.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Youtube is a medium that favors daily vlogging over larger bi-monthly projects because most subscribers will give a view to any video whether it's a 1 minute vlog or an hour film

I have always found that perfume is one subject difficult to capture on non-olfactory media. This means neither videos nor written reviews can really adequately convey reviewers' thoughts with reference to the actual product/piece being reviewed. Compare this to music, or visual artworks.

In this sense, I think a lot of people would rather (skim) read reviews than to watch long-winded videos. Videos are also more time-consuming to make compared to just writing out a quick review whether on blogs or on social media such as Twitter or FB. So, I think there is an equilibrium back towards the written medium.

I've seen a few of them that I like for various reasons. Plenty of them are at least amusing. Many of them are as bad as it gets. Katie Puckrik is genuinely good, and fun. We need to go hang out. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 10th April 2014 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    I have always found that perfume is one subject difficult to capture on non-olfactory media. This means neither videos nor written reviews can really adequately convey reviewers' thoughts with reference to the actual product/piece being reviewed. Compare this to music, or visual artworks.

In this sense, I think a lot of people would rather (skim) read reviews than to watch long-winded videos. Videos are also more time-consuming to make compared to just writing out a quick review whether on blogs or on social media such as Twitter or FB. So, I think there is an equilibrium back towards the written medium.
    Youtube was made to reach out to a more general audience who had no idea there was a fragrance community but just decided to youtube the name of a fragrance they just bought. And then they stumbled on the fragrance community. Like me in 2011.

Agree on it being hard to convey how a fragrance smells through words. But some descriptions have been uncannily accurate.

For videos, I do think the reviewer's personality does factor in. I don't just watch reviewers to get basic info like longevity, but to get a bit of humanity from them.

Basenotes Junkie

Yes, people do move on to other things eventually. That is not to say that they will stop using fragrances - THAT is a lifelong thing. But the intensity of the "journeys" does lighten up with time (not for everyone, but for a lot of people).

Even from my own experience, when I stumbled upon this community I was kinda overwhelmed with the vastness of the fragrance world and was trying to get my hands on so many things. But now I look at what I have and I say to myself, perhaps it is time to slow down. As for me, I cant think as a true collector. I buy fragrances with the idea in mind to use them up and it even kinda frustrates me when I cant enjoy them due to such a huge selection, barely making a dent in any of the bottles in my collection. Sometimes, less IS more and this is definitely the case for me here..

I think it's safe to say that most of the modern designers are basically uninspired and pointless compared to many of the ones that were released years ago. So...... we all move on to niche brands, and the houses can be unheard of, so nobody watches your videos, which means less motivation to unload them. So, audience apathy and designer house apathy are both responsible for the decline, I think.

In many of the ones I've watched, after a rambling introduction (what I did last time, what someone said about it, where I went for my holidays etc), spend most of the time on the box, bottle and sprayer and don't say that much about the scent itself. I guess that gets kind of boring for the video-maker as well as the viewers after a bit. 'Here we have another box. Looks a bit like the last one....'

YouTube reviews. It's a young man's game.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Puredistance - Black
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I generally don't watch Youtube reviews. The only exceptions are haul videos and top 10/20 fragrances videos. I especially can't stand video reviews that are long and drawn out. Some are around 20 minutes. I don't have the patience to sit through that. Would prefer reading through many reviews instead.

Youtube was made to reach out to a more general audience who had no idea there was a fragrance community but just decided to youtube the name of a fragrance they just bought. And then they stumbled on the fragrance community. Like me in 2011.
    Good point, which makes me wonder why so few people have taken fragrances "seriously" as a hobby. Like you mentioned, I guess one can say you "progressed" from just watching youtube videos to joining this site, and becoming more and more interested in the hobby. I actually don't feel that this trend is very common, but instead it seems like there's two distinct fragrance communities- the uptight, elitist snobs at basenotes and the casual bro-ey slobs on Youtube (to stereotype, obviously), and that each community stays in their places. Basenotes can be a little alienating I guess, but I still find it odd that, at least from my observations, people don't seem to become hardcore interested in learning about fragrances.

Looks like half of the FragranceBros (Jer) left also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZo90d16w38

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Looks like half of the FragranceBros (Jer) left also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZo90d16w38
    Fragrance bro?

I see good opportunities for new reviewers to fill to void. It's up for grabs. Not hard for a decent looking, well spoken individually with decent fragrance knowledge to snatch up the subscriber/view counts. The past reviewers have done great in building a stronger baseline for new folks to platform off of. Hopefully, sticking to norms of evolution, the new up and coming reviewers will be better than the last.

I would love to see real noses/perfumers in schooling do reviews. Obviously this is a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Fragrance bro?
    "Hey Guys! It's Dave here and I'm the Fragrance Bro!"

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Oh man, that's a bummer....they were my favorite reviewers. Great insight and entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Oh man, that's a bummer....they were my favorite reviewers. Great insight and entertaining
    I agree, they were always fun to watch. I hate to see him go since I thought he was the more entertaining of the two.