Code of Conduct

Default MFK Oud Alternatives

Just wondering if you guys have a good alternative to MFK's Oud.

Ok. I already have powerhouses like Portrait of a Lady, Amouage Interlude Man, and also Epic Man (looking to sell this if anyone interested...)

This means I am do not need a powerhouse, cold weather, Middle Eastern Oriental/Oud.

I am looking for something more... European, slightly more discreet, slight more singular in the Oud note than the ones above that I can wear more frequently.

I like MFK's Oud, but its too sheer, projection is too weak, and the price point for what it offers is just way too high. I want an Oud that has projection akin to say... a Creed Aventus or Green Irish Tweed, Dior Homme. Moderate projection, moderate density etc.

I like the resins, the musk, the plastic and smokey note in this Oud, FYI.

His other 3 flankers are OK, but just has a similar opening to the original and dries down to 1) a weaker Oud (Cashmere), 2) a bit like Oud Wood from Tom Ford (Velvet), and 3) a typical animalic but feminine rose (Silk).
    Last edited by spirit966; 9th April 2014 at 01:54 AM.

Default Re: MFK Oud Alternatives

Perhaps Reminiscence Oud
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

The Montales are insanely strong, as are the Bonds and the Kilians. These don't have any real relation to oud and they emphasize the more chemical elements of perfumery (the Kilians are abit more true to form), but they might be just what you're looking for. The only tricky thing is that Montale has about forty different "ouds"—so that should clue you in as to where their priorities are at.

For a more original approach, you might check out Vikt, or even Oud 27 for a weird-beard spin, but I suspect the Montales are where you're headed. For a top-shelf western oud, I'd check out Mona di Orio's Oud, and if you're up for the real stuff, take a look at Phoenicia's Realoud and Realoud Feral. Good luck!
    Last edited by deadidol; 9th April 2014 at 02:14 AM.

amyris homme by mfk contains oud... it is less than the 'oud' but overall i like it better. if you like kurkdjian in general you may just still stay there and try that one.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

btw, just about to purchase 1ml sample of realoud, they charge $8 for shipping... made me cancel the purchase in the last moment. ... don't understand such low key rip off attempts

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    The Montales are insanely strong, as are the Bonds and the Kilians. These don't have any real relation to oud and they emphasize the more chemical elements of perfumery (the Kilians are abit more true to form), but they might be just what you're looking for. The only tricky thing is that Montale has about forty different "ouds"—so that should clue you in as to where their priorities are at.

For a more original approach, you might check out Vikt, or even Oud 27 for a weird-beard spin, but I suspect the Montales are where you're headed. For a top-shelf western oud, I'd check out Mona di Orio's Oud, and if you're up for the real stuff, take a look at Phoenicia's Realoud and Realoud Feral. Good luck!
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    amyris homme by mfk contains oud... it is less than the 'oud' but overall i like it better. if you like kurkdjian in general you may just still stay there and try that one.
    Thats the issue. Its barely there for that one and you can only detect it at the late drydown.
    Reminds me of Amouage Reflection/ YSL L'homme opening with a synthetic 'precious woods' sweet drydown. Nice, but I'm not sure if I am prepared to pay a premium price for this that one.

Regarding staying with MFK... haha maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    I am looking for something more... European, slightly more discreet, slight more singular in the Oud note than the ones above that I can wear more frequently..
    What do you mean by singular by the way?

Things to try (probably not real oud in these but an "oud note"):
    Acqua di Parmi Colonia Intensa Oud
    YSL M7
    By Kilian (I like Musk Oud, Amber Oud, and Incense Oud)

Fragrance is built around the to emphasise the Oud note.
    I.e Amouage has oud, but is more a cacophony of notes.

I'll check out the Kilian line. Not too strong are they?

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    What do you mean by singular by the way?

Things to try (probably not real oud in these but an "oud note"):
    Acqua di Parmi Colonia Intensa Oud
    YSL M7
    By Kilian (I like Musk Oud, Amber Oud, and Incense Oud)

You might give Terryfic Oud by Terry de Gunzburg a go: it has the same kind of silky vibe as the MFK but red berries and amber instead of saffron.

I haven't liked the MFK flankers so far: tried Silk and really didn't get on with it, as it was way too bright and linear on my skin, and sniffing the other two I had the feeling that they would be linear (on me) as well. Then again I had the same sort of feeling about Oud Wood, though everyone else loved it on me.

Al Oudh by L' Artisan is a good one.

It's not difficult to find a powerful oud-based fragrance but the MFK Oud-vibe is quite one-of-a-kind IMO.

It's a rather filthy, somehow metallic, icy, a bit wet-basement kinda oud to me. Perhaps it's even more saffron than oud?

I find the first 2 hours of Montales Aoud Shiny similar though.
    Last edited by TLS; 9th April 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Interesting!
    I sniffed the opening of it today! I haven't tried it enough to comment. Opening is boozy but a bit feminine too. How long does it last btw?

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    You might give Terryfic Oud by Terry de Gunzburg a go: it has the same kind of silky vibe as the MFK but red berries and amber instead of saffron.

Fragrance is built around the to emphasise the Oud note.
    I.e Amouage has oud, but is more a cacophony of notes.

I'll check out the Kilian line. Not too strong are they?
    They're not that strong. If you want a pronounced oud with a "clean" vibe, try the Kilian Musk Oud and the Acqua di Parma.

Interesting!
    I sniffed the opening of it today! I haven't tried it enough to comment. Opening is boozy but a bit feminine too. How long does it last btw?
    Lasts pretty well. Not insane. A good 7 or 8 hours.

I want to give TF Oud Fleur a try. I've only smelled it on paper but at the time I thought 'this is what I wanted the MFK Ouds to be like.'

The Aqua di Parma is strong with ultra-dry woods (cypriol?): very masculine.
    Last edited by OdilonRedon; 9th April 2014 at 05:19 PM.

Guys..

Does Leather Oud or Oud Wood fit the bill?
    Now, nothing even more expensive than the MFK mind you..

Basenotes Junkie

I absolutely love MFK oud , but it's a soft oud , a very nice one. Dior leather oud is a LOUD brash oud, also something I enjoy very much but these are very different scents to my nose at least. I hope you find what you are looking for . I own LO and about to buy MFK oud .
    Last edited by willyb; 10th April 2014 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Jo Malones Velvet Rose and Oud would smell very nice on a gentleman IMO. Worth a try anyway if you are after a classic combo and gentle on the oud. She isn't normally my cup of tea. Just happened to smell it today. If you like punchy Ouds then the LM Black Oud packs a good woody, spicy delivery. That one doesn't answer the original question on being gentle though.

What about Nassomato's Pardon?
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

what about Ex Idolo's Thirty Three?

Habit Rouge?
    Sorry but respectfully disagree.

I would recommend Tom Ford Oud Wood.