Code of Conduct

Default New Perfumer at Caron

I don't know who it is but I hear Caron has a new perfumer attempting to make the classics worth smelling again. Probably won't even come close with EU regulations increasing, but making them better than they've been over the last ten years or so might be workable. Smelled the newest formulations of the Guerlains yesterday and they smell surprisingly good.

Default Re: New Perfumer at Caron

[QUOTE=pluran;3118232]I don't know who it is but I hear Caron has a new perfumer attempting to make the classics worth smelling again./QUOTE]

That's gonna be a tough gig but worthwhile. Using new fancy bottles for some of them isn't hacking it.

it was time of Richard Fraysse going away. Hope that the new perfumer does a better job with the classics.

The line has all but withered on the vine over the last few years and I don't think IFRA was totally to blame - if the new person can salvage anything at all from the wreckage that would be nice.

The one stockist here dropped them a few years ago - I'm not surprised, frankly.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I think I read somewhere that Richard Fraysse's son William joined Caron a while ago or maybe I am just confusing bits in my brain

This sounds like a reason for optimism! If Guerlain could salvage its classics, then maybe there's hope for others as well.

It's a double edged sword for the newcomer.
    On one the, they've got Caron's rich heritage build on. On the other end, there's a lot of salvaging to do.

for swap/sale:

Probably won't amount to much. Unlikely that it's anyone great but it would be nice to know who it is. Sure would be good to recreate all of them like they were twenty years ago. Someone needs to make a new kind of Osmotheque and secretly make far more of each great fragrance (whatever house) than they need for the museum.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th April 2014 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It's a double edged sword for the newcomer.
    On one the, they've got Caron's rich heritage build on. On the other end, there's a lot of salvaging to do.
    Agree. Its nice they are at least trying though. I guess it depends on who the new perfumer is and the amount of cash they are prepared to outlay.

It will be interesting to see what improvements will be made with the brand the way it stands today.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I tried a lot of Guerlains in new formulations at The Perfume House yesterday. Very satisfying. I live close by but haven't been there in awhile. It's one of the best perfume shops in the world. Massive collection of all kinds of things and great people who really know perfumes working there.

http://theperfumehouse.com/

Last edited by pluran; 10th April 2014 at 05:18 AM.

Cool pics. Interesting inventory, too. Fun.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Sounds like a great news. it was about time actually Well, as you say, IFRA will surely make things a bit harder but, at least, we can start hoping again for a possible resurrection….

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

I'm hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Well, I wrote to Caron HQ this morning asking if they could confirm the rumour that Fraysse had been replaced by a new perfumer.
    Here's what Customer Services said:

"Nous vous remercions de votre intérêt pour les Parfums Caron et vous confirmons que Richard Fraysse est toujours le parfumeur de la Maison."

Translation: Richard Fraysse is still the in house perfumer.

Thanks, G. for taking the initiative! I think his son Wiliam might take over in the long run. That's how I understood the article I read.

I'm quite partial to Fraysse's urn scents, Tubereuse and L'Accord Code 119.

I agree that it's not all IFRA, but may be budget. Une Fleur de Cassie smells more like old Farnesiana than Farnesiana does, so the ingredients are out there...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm quite partial to Fraysse's urn scents, Tubereuse and L'Accord Code 119.

I agree that it's not all IFRA, but may be budget. Une Fleur de Cassie smells more like old Farnesiana than Farnesiana does, so the ingredients are out there...

Good to see you back

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Good to see you back
    Oh, I'm around, just quiet. Waiting. Watching. In the dark. With the owls.