Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 10 April, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a lovely day!

Testing JMT - O'Driu.

IMG_2048.jpg

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 10 April, 2014.

Bonjour Mesdames!
    vintage

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone! I am going to wear a defiant spritz of Chanel No. 19 in honour of Erin this morning, partly because I like her take on the scent (brainy, intellectual, offbeat instead of corporate - also a shout out to Puma who gently encourages me to look beyond my rather narrow view of the scent's character) but most of all because I want to say: Erin, I AM EUROPEAN AND THAT IS NOT HOW MOST EUROPEANS BEHAVE*!!!! Teardrop backed me up on this in yesterday's thread, I see, but I just want to repeat it!

*Well, maybe apart from the French. Just kidding :-)

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. Love, Chloe for me today.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 10 April, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Baldessarini this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Tocca Liliana for me. I have a fairly long paper to finish today, so I wanted something bright and cheery to keep me perked up. I think this peachy, citrusy floral will do nicely!

On a slightly unrelated note, how cute are those Tocca bottles?! So dainty.

Hello everyone,

((easyfish)) because I want a better sniff, I remember that bottle fondly.

Mike go forth and hunt my friend, L’Origan is a worthy treasure. I can just picture the IFRA contingent with their epipens at the ready as I dab this stuff on. L'Origan precedes L’heure Bleue and you can tell where L’hB takes it’s DNA from and to an extent Après L’Ondée. It opens with a glorious spicy clove, carnation, violet and neroli. The difference when I compare them side by side is in the mid and dry down, L’Origan doesn’t descend into the Guerlinade base instead I get vanilla, sandalwood, musk, clove, oak moss and hint of civet. It’s the same girl but she's languidly contemplating the golden rays of the dawn rather than melancholy in the twilight hour of dusk. Saminlondon make sure this passes your nose at some point too.

((ErinK)) I’m so sorry honey, I was going to let rip a trail of expletives instead I think enough time and energies have been wasted with this dodgy character. He’s not worth your while nor should any of this colour your opinion about yourself. Onwards and upwards.

ExtremeK you would rock a tux. I was the odd one out as it seems short tight dresses are the order of the day. You can practically tell if they missed their waxing appointments. Unfortunately put tipsy and short skirts together and accidents happen, try as I might, there are things I cannot un-see.

((sfmedusa)) nice to see you and hopefully you get answers soon.

Kumquat that bottle of L’Infini is gorgeous and how clever is that Art Nouveau style font with letters designed to look like notes on a sheet music.

Twinning ClaireV and in also in support of ErinK in No.19 for tonight vintage parfum and EdC. Let it wash whatever crappy dating mojo is hanging over you at the moment. This was the first perfume I bought for myself with my own money. It was the 90’s, I was teenager everything was minimalist or grunge. To me this is the fragrance of independence and youthful optimism. When I need to focus and get things done it’s No.19, when I want comfort I turn to Mitsouko.
    Last edited by Xscent; 10th April 2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: adding more support for ErinK.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Le Parfum Sacré first formulation EdP

Hello all. Lyn Harris La Poudree.
    DONNA

Good morning, everyone -

I suppose y'all have already figured out that I use my little ballerinas as an excuse to wear my sweet pink confections a few times a week, and today is no different, though I can honestly say I loved this one well before they had anything to say about it, hehe. It's Annick Goutal's Eau de Charlotte, and they like it, too ...thank goodness!

Y'all have a wonderful day!

kalli - I'm really surprised you don't like De Profundis, but "fruity" you say? I get all papery chrysanthemums and sultry incense ...maybe just a touch of violet. Don't give up on it just yet - I really think you need to try it again as this is one you *should* love, at least in theory.

Erin - eek! So sorry about that, but at least you weren't invested in it yet, so he only ruined your night and your opinion of him. I've known people (not just guys, btw) to lie about/hide their marital status for months, so I really think you dodged a bullet with that one. And good for you for keeping the gym - *he* should be the sheepish one. (Thanks for the Carl Sagan shoutout - he's one of my favorite people ever.)

Mike - are you *sure* you haven't heard of L'Origan? I thought it was rather well known that L'Heure Bleue was Guerlain's homage to it, and I'm sure it's been discussed in these threads before as many of us have it (though it does seem to be rarely worn, I'll give you that.) But it was such a popular scent back in the day (even more so than Emeraude) that Coty even perfumed their "Airspun" loose facial powder with it and it's still the same today. Actually, they used all their popular scents in powders, but L'Origan-scented Airspun is the only one that's still around, and if you've ever smelled this, you've smelled L'Origan.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hermes, vintage Bel Ami

Attachment 27203

Guerlain Jicky Extrait layered with Jicky Eau de Parfum. Can't get enough of this fragrance. I'm still keeping an eye out for the Parfum de Toilette.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Hard Leather by LM Parfums

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Beloved Man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning!

To everyone who has indulged my request for validation, I give an earnest thank you. Thank you foxbins for popping in to offer sympathy and for ClaireV for confirmation that's not how most Europeans act. (((ExtremeK))) thank you for your sweet reassurance.You guys are right, it was definitely a dodged bullet. He could have easily lied to me; the fact that he didn't - and expected me to go knowingly go along with it like a bimbo - is what boggles my mind.

Anyway, you're right, Xscent: onwards and upwards. And I am loving your and Claire's No.19, mmm!

Xscent, you cracked me up with that skirt rant, HA! Fragrance of independence youthful optimism is a great way to describe No.19.
    And good for you, Claire, for keeping an open mind with 19; let us know if you come around to it any today!

Thinking of dear Jujy, and hoping she is recuperating like a champ today!

I'm in Diorella, 90s edt. This might go on the May to-buy list. (April's budget is shot and we're only a week in. Oops.)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Good morning!

First of all, happy belated birthday to arwen_elf!

I am still feeling shocked, but my daughter spoke with the headmaster today and he said, since she has passed the german language tests, the school will give her a C2 certificate which is at least something, and all her efforts are not lost.

He said she has the right to try again next year if she really wants to take Abitur, but she must take all the exams she has passed again, and we shall probably have to pay a fee.

Easter holidays began for her, no school for two weeks and she went out after school with a friend, so things are brighter for her today.

For me too, but it involved buying a new perfume, I thought I had the right after this disappointment!

So now I am in the comforting veil of

Almond Coconut by Laura Mercier

(The camellias are a gift from a friend!)

ErinK, I think you are lucky that he mentioned his wife so soon.
    Back when I was dating, it happened to me twice that after the first date I found out (friends warned me) that the guys were married, and when I confronted them, they didn’t even admit it! One has said it was not true, the other that he was divorced.
    Of course they had both lied!
    Last edited by *dora*; 10th April 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Ugh, the tight little dress syndrome (aka baby doll goes streetwalker) -- I hope it dies soon. I don't want to see butt shelf in public. Ever. (OK, beaches and pools, whatevs, but not at a restaurant or the opera.) Good grief. I'd rather go all Victorian with corsets, bustles, and shocking glimpses of ankle. Speaking of which, it's time for my annual spring reading of Pride and Prejudice!

Puma, I'm with you on Chanel. I keep trying, but they have no heart or soul for me. Same with Guerlain. I think the classical style of perfumery is just not my cuppa. I'm apparently a modern girl (despite my love of Victorian lit and Arts & Crafts architecture/design). I hold within me a multitude of contradictions.

Today I'm wearing David's new favorite spring floral: CdG Lily -- thanks, Mama Q!!! Despite its green freshness, he finds it devastatingly sexy. He walked up behind me, breathed in and said "What is THAT??!!" In a good way.

I find myself turning more often to my bottles, and the desire to sample seems to be on the wane for now. Interesting.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 10th April 2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Auto-correct strikes again

Hi everybody, I am in Chypre Green by Pecksniff.

I was away for some time, the back thing was not going well and I couldn't do much computer stuff. Everything is fine again.

Can't stand this obsession with short skirts or wearing as little fabric as possible, it's just not elegant. And I have been wondering for years why women who go on tv shows, where they know the camera will be at knee-hight, still wear really short skirts and sit down in front of a camera at just the right angle for some embarrassing shots.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Extreme K, I am behind my Pride and Prejudice schedule... but then all my lovely books are packed and in storage. I have them in nineteenth century gold edged illustrated editions, still beats the Nook for extra reading pleasure.

And shame on me, the samples I am supposed to send out have gone out today. I couldn't manage to go to the post office earlier. Something about the car seats really hurt my back extra and made it much worse.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

,,,,,Opium Homme EDP

Blog Entries

Hi all, & healing hugs to all who need them.

l wore Un Matin d'Orage for work today, SOTE yet to be decided...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Erin, do thank the ginormous w*****r for his blanket generalisation of all Europeans - this morally retarded creep deserves nothing but contempt. You behaved impeccably under the circumstances and have nothing to reproach yourself for. One can only feel pity for his wife.

Mike, the only issues I have with BN are at work and I can't fathom it out. I can log in without any problem but in each thread the reply box has no editing options (bold, italics, pictures, link, videos, etc). My BN settings are fine and we are also on Internet Explorer at home and it runs like clockwork here. (Re: Ava Luxe No 23 - think of a more floral Tam Dao and you are in the right area)

Eau de Lalique.

Welcome back Froufrou

Frou Frou so good to see you again, glad everything is better. I can't get pass the combination of tight and short I love the Mod look with the mini length sheaths but please save me from being able to read your tattoo through the fabric of your dress. It's just not cricket.

*dora* I'm glad the school was able to do something to acknowledge your daughters hard work.

ExtremeK I was in corset recently, it did wonders for the cleavage and there’s nothing like a bit o’ ankle to get the heart racing. It’s such an underrated part of the anatomy. Bustles you can keep.

ErinK being open to romance is half the battle (she says has she retreats back into her hermit state). Being happy in your own company and being less tolerant of dating BS will help weed out the players very quickly.

I should be working my lit review instead I’m posting and wondering where my copy of Sense and Sensibility has got to. More No.19 and back to study, no rest for the wicked. ClaireV maybe a different concentration of No.19 might be more suited? The EdT, EdP and parfum can behave quite differently.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Hmmmmm, and what are you doing logging on to BN during work hours, Jon?? :-)

At first when I read your post, I thought that maybe your office had remote access to all the work computers and disabled access to all non-work websites, but now I see that you can log on, and that the only thing missing is the editing function. So now I imagine your boss sitting his his corner office, rubbing his hands in glee, and thinking to himself, "I might not be able to stop that bastard from reading Basenotes on my dime, but I sure as hell can stop him from italicizing and bolding!"

Blog Entries

Jasmin Noir for this evening.

Jon; you're right, pity his poor wife.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

Happy Belated Birthday to arwen_elf! Miss you A! Hope you were okay during all of those earthquakes over there in CA! ((hugs))
    Xscent & Evangeline - I really have not heard of L'Origan and I didn't know that Coty powder (which I've definitely seen) was scented with the fragrance - how interesting. I must try to seek out a sample when I can. Is the English translation 'oregano'?
    Froufrou - so nice to see you back among us dearest - you were missed

Hoping the ones among us who need healing (physical or emotional) are better soon.

It got cool again here - so I reached for something sweet & vetiver prominent, I'm almost done with my decant of:

Hermessence Vetiver Tonka by Hermes

I had a fantastic dinner at a new restaurant almost walking distance from my apartment - it's called The Federal. Dinner was fantastic - beer basted clams, Churrasco steak (arrived at the table flambeed!), crab rolls, crunchy brussel sprouts (with the most amazing micro-apples inside) & for dessert the most fragrant/aromatic dessert I've ever eaten: Thyme Panna Cotta. A strong herbal taste in a cold, yet firm, custard like texture. Amazing!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

MikeP, thank you L'Origan is Oregano, but the fragrance doesn't smell like herbs, very nice. I have a vintage bottle, I can send you a sample if you wish.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Organza Indecence.

Sampling De Profundis again, this time it is less sweet and fruity, incense very present, esp in the beginning..but I still get some musk. It has a slight sweetness to it, rich florals..not familiar with chrysanthemums. There is a fresh, green note I like after a bit. It kinda has a Miel du Bois vibe though not sure if there is any honey. Animalic a bit. I don't like that rich, animalic syrup I get from this scent and some of his others. While it is better than last time..I still wouldn't seek out a decant. I find SL scents very intriguing but most I just wouldn't wear. I still have to sample a few though. Chergui I really should have loved but didn't, as it dried...I don't like his amber notes, nor his honey notes. Oh well, more for others. I tried! lol.

Also sampling that Creed again, lemon is now sweet but tart lime or bergamot...too much of it. I don't care for a lot of bergamot..so..not for me, there is a saltiness on top of the citrus which makes it interesting but still not to my liking. Then..the fume just seems to fade out..the woods are there but light and soft..it opens up with a bite of citrus..some woods..then the woods run away! Which makes me think cedar is in it-I like cedar but it doesn't like me, lol. A light amber..this is all around too light, too bergamotty(lol), not enough woods. Husband has still yet to try it..but don't expect it to change much, too much bergamot is too much bergamot.

More hugs to Erink.

I want crunchy brussels with apples-that sounds good!
    Last edited by kalli; 10th April 2014 at 05:07 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Mazzolari-
    Monforte 2
    Top- lemon, bergamot, orange
    Heart- Jasmine, Turkish rose, nutmeg, cardomom
    Base-ambergris, vanilla

Sassy citrus and jasmine with plenty of spice.
    Last edited by kumquat; 10th April 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Good afternoon and best wishes to everyone. I hope all are doing well. Skimming this thread I can see I've missed out on a lot of news over the past few days. Perhaps I will have some free time to catch up this weekend. All of a sudden I'm so busy, I'm behind in everything!

Wearing Parfums MDCI Enlevement au Serail on this lovely day. Sending positive energy to all who need it.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Bois 1920 Extreme.

On leave tomorrow - will be having a teardropesque pottering day with an early wine o'clock. Need to give the synch some thought but should have plenty of options.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a perfect day Jon, enjoy!

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Amyris Homme by MFK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello again!

We're fixin' to get out and galavant around the French Quarter Festival, not the biggest game in town, but definitely our favorite; the very best local talent bringing great music, food and fun mere steps away from our front door, all weekend long, sans the impenetrable wall of people at Jazz Fest ...*so* excellent.

And I'm in vintage Calvin Klein for the fun ...y'all have a good one!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

happy is the bleu heart<3

Another long day at work ... I'm wearing Sweet Redemption.

naz1, yes I love the Tocca bottles ... very pretty!

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

Happy belated birthday to arwen_elf!

Finished reading Mansfield Park not long ago, so I'll join my fellow Austen fans reading Pride and Prejudice. Have you visited http://www.pemberley.com?

SOTD was Bond No 9 High Line, which I like much better than the newer Hampton Yards.

SOTE is Estee Lauder's Azuree; green & gorgeous!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Where is Arwen Elf?
    Happy Birthday, you!

Basenotes Institution

Froufrou - thanks for the offer I'll hold off on that sample for now...perhaps fall 2014 might be a better time for me to explore that scent. So nice to see you back & glad your back is better.

I can't seem to get enough of this stuff...it's addictive:

Dries Van Noten by Frederic Malle

I'll quote BN member mr. reasonable who summed up perfectly the reason why I love DVN, when he was comparing it a bit to Shalimar:

If you look at Dries van Noten par Frédéric Malle there's an interesting correlation that only became apparent to me the other day after discussion with a few people AND catching a phrase Malle dropped in an interview about 'recalling some of the classics of the early 20c'.

Shalimar has an almost disturbing opening (for some) because you are hit with a very tart bergamot top with an overdosed vanilla underneath. That's a very, very simplistic description, but if you imagine the disconnect between fresh grapefruit juice and fresh cream you get an idea - it's verging on curdling but at the same time it's very arresting - you can't 'look away'. And then, of course, everything melds.

Dries van Noten has a similar off-putting effect on some people at first because you have bergamot / citrus and a bit of saffron up top, and almost simultaneously you get hit with the almost oily first few minutes of sandalwood, pushed even further by a hit of sacralol (a sandalwood 'enforcer' that has a lactonic quality) and vanilla. It's a full frontal assault that settles after a few minutes into something quite unique.

The structure, and that contrast between tart citrus and creamy vanilla is common to both. I have almost finished a bottle of DvN, and I have compared it with vintage Shalimar, and altho nothing can really touch Shalimar I have a new respect for the idea behind this and reckon it might be worth a shot . . . there ya go - for what it it's worth
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Central Park by Bond No.9

I just spritzed on some more Oyedo at bedtime to freshen up my SOTD. I just bought it last night and I must say I am really loving it. The orange is really tangy at the beginning, but it's the woody (cedar?) basenote that intrigues me. My impulse buys usually work out for the best.

Basenotes Plus

Eau de Lalique for me today
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home