Code of Conduct

Default Amouage attars pulled from shelves - no longer being sold

This is follow-up to posts in an existing thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/378...-Tribute-Attar

I wanted to start a new thread to make this information general knowledge. As the old thread title was about Tribute, I thought it would be a good idea to bring this to the attention of others who may not have read the older thread.

I visited the Amouage boutique in Bahrain and spoke with the shop manager. It is indeed true that all the attars have been pulled from the shelves and will no longer be sold. The stock in Bahrain was already in the back of the shop awaiting shipment back to Muscat.

I was told that this is a directive from Amouage corporate management, and is specifically related to the Omani government passing a bill to force domestic products to adhere to international standards.

I find it hard to believe that every single attar had a banned or restricted ingredient in it. Perhaps Amouage simply took a blanketing approach to make things easier. Maybe the attars will be reworked and new versions distributed, but the manager didn't know for sure.

A sad time for Amouage aficionados.

Default Re: Amouage attars pulled from shelves - no longer being sold

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Indeed...

As a huge fan of the house & in particular of their attar's, I find it baffling...It's a cultural tradition in the middle east - itr / attar's - what is the Govt doing next? Tell every local attar maker to stick with IFRA regulations? Don't see it happening...

Whatever happens, Amouage will never be the company it was once.

I suppose I'll have to treat by Homage Attar as my holy grail and use it in extremely small quantities... What a shame. Loved this brand and the attars especially.

This is so sad. I can't blame Amouage. I blame the IFRA and their desire to protect every living thing from a sneeze or an itch.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    There are going to be a lot of disappointed individuals for sure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for posting, noggs - personally rather sad as two of my 'all time' favourites are from the old attar line.

I just wished that they have kept at least Tribute and Homage. Homage is so beautiful, now i regret having purchased the 12ml instead of the 30ml one

Must be something else to it as well....

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Must be something else to it as well....
    I think so, too. The info given by the shop was rather vague, but enough to figure out what they wanted us to think, anyway.

I'm wondering if at least part of the decision was a change of direction by Amouage regardless of the alleged new regulations. They had already pulled most of the attars except for Tribute and Homage from shops outside the region.

They've gradually been moving away from an "Arabic" perfume house to an international one. This is reflected to some extent by their recent products, especially the Beloved pair and the newly released Opus VIII, as well as the two Fates and much of the Opus line. Perhaps stopping production of the attars was part of the corporate agenda to achieve this goal. Maybe they want to go head to head with the European niche lines rather than against Arabian Oud, Ajmal, Qurashi and the like.

If this is true it seems like an odd move to me. The rest of the world is becoming very interested in Arabic perfumery and attars, and to stop producing these just when the market for them is heating up makes no sense. And to pull the remaining stock rather than allow it to be sold is also perplexing.

Whatever is happening, it seems specific to Amouage and/or Oman. Arabian Oud and Qurashi aren't pulling their attars, and they have shops in Europe.

Maybe Amouage actually discovered harmful chemicals in the attars and the sudden move was to remove the products as quickly as possible to avoid any legal action. All this stuff about standards could just be a cover story to deflect blame.

If they found only one attar with a problem they could've pulled all the stock, anyway. I see that mindset within the company I work for here in Saudi. It's either all or nothing. No half measures, no compromises, always overreaction, often compounding the problems they are trying to fix.

Or maybe the attars just weren't profitable enough to warrant their production. I don't buy this and it doesn't explain the sudden removal of stock. Who knows what is really going on?

Like you, Saif, I cannot help but believe that there's more to this than meets the eye, or to what the shops would have us believe.
    Last edited by noggs; 11th April 2014 at 06:09 AM.

Among other things it's probably impossible to meet IFRA jasmine restrictions in high concentrations like Homage Attar. Might be able to be done as an edp. Basically all of the Amouage attars will hve a hard time ever increasing IFRA restrictions. Guerlain and Thierry Wasser seem to be the only authorities speaking out about the restrictions. Most people here just complain and watch it happen. Too bad. Try writing the perfume houses. They'll start caring more about the IFRA problem.
    Last edited by pluran; 24th May 2014 at 02:12 AM.

I just restocked on Salamah, Tahani and Al Andalus. Phew!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Guess I got lucky then Last night I was at Dubai World Central airport and just happened to bump into a sealed 12ml bottle of Homage for 957 AED. I saw an opportunity present itself and bought on the spot. It literally was the very last bottle they had. Having said that they still had about 6 sealed bottles of Asrar, if anyone is interested it was about 557 AED for 12ml.

... and had to buy Jubilation 25 as well ...

Then ...

Doha International Airport just casually browsing and saw Epic Man 100ml for 858 Qatari Riyal and got that as well ...

Happy days!

Still I need Salamah, Tahani, Al Mas, this other one, this other one (cant recall names) ...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by acer3 View Post
    Last night I was at Dubai World Central airport and just happened to bump into a sealed 12ml bottle of Homage for 957 AED. I saw an opportunity present itself and bought on the spot.
    Holy crap, that's cheap!! May be an idea to fly out to Dubai just to stock up on a few bottles of various attars, then turn around and come back home same day.

That's a really good price for Homage! Congrats matey!
    The Asrar prices are really good too.....I snagged the last bottle of 30ml white box Asrar from universal perfumes for £199 the other day. Loving it! It's sooooooo rich!
    By the way Acer if you still looking for the other Amouage Attars pm me as I may be able to help inshAllah ;-)
    For some super rare goodies check me out on ebay: scents-rarity
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512613529...84.m1555.l2649

Ordering from Universal seems a bit hit and miss, glad you got your goodies through.
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

Universal's khalid seems ok, as I've bought from him before and the shipping is usually very fast. It's ASFDUBAISHOP that I found to hit and miss as have emailed and WhatsApp them a number of times last couple of weeks but to no avail :-(

Basenotes Plus

Asf Dubai shop has lots of Attars on their website I was not familiar with. I wonder what they actually have in stock?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

With ASF Dubaishop, I purchased several attars online. I didn't hear from them for 2 weeks and called them to confirm the order, they cannot ship fragrances to Singapore. I had the order refunded via Paypal.

Basenotes Plus

As the stock levels shown on Dubaishop's website have been somewhat inaccurate in the past, it's possible that they might not reply to enquiries in respect of products that they don't have (or cannot obtain).
    I tried to order an attar once and it was unobtainable despite a massive indicated stock level.

How confusing!

So what's the latest news with the Amouage Attars? Surely they will return right?

Problem is Ipp* ASF didn't even reply to emails for the commonly available stuff such as Arabian Oud Musk Mutsalik or Ajmals Ruh al oudh....so really I don't know what's going on with them.**

With regards to whether Amouage attars will return or not.....that's the golden question.*
    Personally I think Amouage would be foolish if they don't. If this is a temporary withdrawal than I can fully understand, with all the problems with the inconsistent bottles volumes,* batch variations,* leakages, etc; which definitely needs to be corrected. Also the withdrawal will build and increase the Attars value and notoriourity *thus increasing the publics brand awareness and hunger. However saying that I don't understand why Amouage has decided to sell the available attars only to a select few Omani citizens and not to the general population. *The latest news is that they can come down like a tonne of bricks on those select few Omani citizens that wish to buy more than one of the same attars. ...questioning them to find out why they want more than one unit and if the concerned individuals answer is not satisfactory than Amouage management withdraw these special buying privileges from the individual with an explanation that they don't wish the Attars to be sold on ebay especially to the western markets!*One of my Omani contacts who has been a loyal Amouage customer for a number of years has recently been treated this way and was made to feel like *a pariah when he wanted to buy *a couple of bottles of Homage directly from the factory (absolutely ridiculous really!)

Quote Originally Posted by sultanpasha View Post
    If this is a temporary withdrawal than I can fully understand, with all the problems with the inconsistent bottles volumes,* batch variations,* leakages, etc; which definitely needs to be corrected.
    I'm ok with this... or at least I think I understand why it has to be this way. IF Amouage was making such high quality attars with all natural ingredients, then batch variations are inevitable and can't be controlled. At least that's my understanding from reading about the Attar process.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

I hope they come back, even if only via certain designated channels.

Basenotes Plus

I hope they come back as well, but it doesn't look good :-(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Found a white box 30ml to join my 12ml red box. I am excited!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Enjoy
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Do you note any substantial differences?
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Do you note any substantial differences?
    YES, definitely! I was not expecting really much if any difference. I find the white box to be perfectly balanced, surprisingly so. I'm terrible identifying notes, so I won't try. But it's smooth, less intensely smoky, a little... sweeter perhaps. So darn good. I was regretting spending the money (YOU did this to me Akahina), thinking that I had paid a premium for something that I already owned. I did not own Tribute, I owned a Tribute like fragrance from a red box. Now I own Tribute! And am so pleased you talked me into it.
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

I should have mentioned, for those interested Tribute can be found at http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...te=common/home for what I consider to be good prices. And the shipping was outstanding
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

So these are now only available at the Oman flagship store correct?

This seems to connect to how some people have noticed that some old Amouage staples like Lyric seem "watered down" in their new formulations. I did a side by side of Lyric Woman, one from the year it came out, and one from last year (sample vials, though) and noticed quite a difference.