Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Have you noticed it's always the same fragrances that are mentioned in every thread?

Not that it's a bad thing that the same fragrances are mentioned over and over in practically every thread...but, in a world full of thousands of fragrances are there really only the same few that are amazing enough to be mentioned? I mean, every time someone asks for suggestions on their next frag, no matter what their criteria is, the same frags a mentioned over, and over......and over. So...let's think out of the box a little on this thread...let's mention some different frags...even if you aren't a huge fan of them, but fragrances that are different, unique, strange, cool, weird, underrated, terrific, etc...just not the same things mentioned over and over and over. Just pick a random one for those of us who are looking for something truly different...different by basenotes standards...and then, please tell us why it's different.

These are off limits:

Aventus
    GIT
    LDDM
    LIDGE
    Terre d'Hermes
    Fahrenheit
    Tobacco Vanille
    New Haarlem
    Avignon
    Neroli Portofino
    and...well, you know the one's you hear about int every thread.

I'll start
    MCMC Hunter- This is an awesome frag. It's got a lot of fir and tobacco mixed with a bit of bourbon vanilla to sweeten if up a bit. I wouldn't classify this as a sweet frag, but it does have a nice balance to it. I'm not good at describing frags, but it's very unique and it lasts all day on me...not a powerhouse, but great longevity all the same. Definitely unisex, but leans masculine.

Annick Goutal Nuit Etoilee- There isn't a lot mentioned about this frag. I am a huge mint frag nut...I love mint! Nuit Etoilee is one of the best of the best mint frags in my opinion. It's the fresh mint leaf kind which is my favorite. It is a very unique fresh fragrance that I can't get enough of. Again, it's got great longevity...although, again, not a powerhouse. I consider it straight down the line unisex.

Ok people, go ahead, share something new. Thanks

Default Re: Have you noticed it's always the same fragrances that are mentioned in every thread?

Lol yeah I notice that too. Not a lot of people have tried an extensive amount more than those though. They are just general crowd pleasers that people generally like.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Have you noticed it's always the same fragrances that are mentioned in every thread?

Nuit de Tubereuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur - peppery, woody, musky tuberose - unisex
    It's new to me.

Royal Oud (Not the Creed) by La Maison de La Vanille - a wonderful oud - sandalwood -patchouli scent blended very nicely with vanilla absolue that has very nice longevity and can be worn by either gender easily. An EDP but not overpowering or cloying with its characteristic vanilla.

Last edited by hednic; 11th April 2014 at 06:50 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

haha..... can't escape from aventus... will haunt you like a ghost forever.... and so will creed and tom ford, dior and mugler
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

That list of perfumes up there are some real modern masterpieces. They get mentioned frequently because theyre very good.

There are however many many amazing fragrances that don't get talked about a lot.

Having said that, I think more people should get out there and discover things on their own, and stop asking for so much advice. Figure it out on your own sometimes.

Okay, something not so often talked about but I feel should be: Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal. I feel this is quite a nice option for those who love Selection Verte but get crap longevity from it (I do fine personally, but I still own EdH and not SV).

Oh, and I know I mentioned this recently, but Tokyo Milk Bulletproof is a very solid cheapy with ebony wood and tea.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Ineke Derring Do and L'Artisan Batucada. Two very well made aquatics that are a pleasure to wear in the sweltering heat. They're never mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    Lol yeah I notice that too. Not a lot of people have tried an extensive amount more than those though. They are just general crowd pleasers that people generally like.
    And crowd pleasers can be a good thing...I just think they shouldn't be the only thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Royal Oud (Not the Creed) by La Maison de La Vanille - a wonderful oud - sandalwood -patchouli scent blended very nicely with vanilla absolue that has very nice longevity and can be worn by either gender easily. An EDP but not overpowering or cloying with its characteristic vanilla.
    Thanks Hednic. You should have tons of frags that aren't spoken of a lot on here.

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    haha..... can't escape from aventus... will haunt you like a ghost forever.... and so will creed and tom ford, dior and mugler
    I know right...which isn't bad, just mentioned TOOOOO much.
    Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    That list of perfumes up there are some real modern masterpieces. They get mentioned frequently because theyre very good.

There are however many many amazing fragrances that don't get talked about a lot.

Having said that, I think more people should get out there and discover things on their own, and stop asking for so much advice. Figure it out on your own sometimes.
    I totally agree that people need to get out and experience more. When I joined basenotes, I was on my quest to sniff out all the much hailed and much hyped frags...as I started down that path I quickly discovered that most of them were not my style at all...so I started out on my quest to find ones that had notes that specifically interested me, and, if in my quest I stumbled upon the much hailed and much hyped, I would sniff them out. I have found some awesome, not-so-popular frags that I love much more than those populars. But, having said that, I think it's great to steer people toward frags that you personally think are great, and then they can decide if they want to experience them or not. I would just love a list of frags that are not the mentioned in every thread frags to try something unique and new.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Okay, something not so often talked about but I feel should be: Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal. I feel this is quite a nice option for those who love Selection Verte but get crap longevity from it (I do fine personally, but I still own EdH and not SV).

Oh, and I know I mentioned this recently, but Tokyo Milk Bulletproof is a very solid cheapy with ebony wood and tea.
    I've heard great things about this Eau d'Hadrien...I need to sniff it out. I've heard that it's similar to Aqua Viva also. Thanks.
    And I agree with Bulletproof...it's amazingly good for such a great price!!

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Nuit de Tubereuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur - peppery, woody, musky tuberose - unisex
    It's new to me.
    Thanks...I have to try out more frags with tuberose...I don't know if I know exactly what it smells like.

It's natural selection - knowledgeable people favor particular fragrances, tell others about them, others follow, and when they become knowledgeable they recommend their own favorites. Keeps reinforcing itself, but I wonder what the conversation would be like if the industry didn't produce 10,000 new fragrances every week.

I think there's a wide selection of houses getting talked about here, but people tend to talk about only a few "stars" from each house. Who ever mentions Knize Forest? Miller Harris Citron Citron? L'Artisan Parfumeur Poivre Piquant? Is it because they're not good or because they don't have the BN stamp of approval? I notice that Nuit de Tubereuse, mentioned above, gets a lot of love in other perfume forums.

You're right. All the talk of the same fragrances actually make their value go down. That scent is less exclusive and special, due to more people wearing it and all the copycat fragrances.

With this in mind, is it best to keep ones most prized fragrances a secret? or Is that just lame?

Eau d'Hadrien has been mentioned here (and rightfully so). I would like to mention it's lesser-known flanker Les Nuits d'Hadrien.

It is one of the most amazing citrus scents in the beginning, then one of the best transformations I have encountered. It doesn't just fade to nothingness, it slowly transforms into a completely different fragrance. What starts as a wonderful lemon citrus scent, finishes as an amazing amber/patchouli one. Beautiful stuff. And pretty long lasting.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

Here are some of my choices:

Amouage Asrar attar - seriously, how many times have u heard it being mentioned?? We hear always about Homage & Tribute...

Davidoff by Davidoff

Bogart Furyo

Hilfiger Athletics

Scottish Fine Soaps Classic Male Grooming edt

Maubossin Pour homme edp

St. James of London Founders Reserve Post Shave Cologne Soothing Cedarwood & Clary Sage

Here's a few selections of perfume that i like and rarely get mentions here

DS Durga Boston Ivy - Green and refreshing

Rodin olio Lusso - Simple Jasmine and floral scent but quite comforting

Byredo Blanche - Clean Scent not offensive

Byredo 1996 - My friends hated it but I like this dark Iris perfume

Arquiste Fleur De Louis - Simple powdery and wood smell

I've noticed this a lot.

Two types of perfumes get talked, whatever is hot at the moment & the hyped classic.

I remember when Rose 31 was talked about no end (deservedly).

for swap/sale:

Feedback loops.

I think this happens most when people with smaller collections/less experience ask, so naturally the suggestions lean towards crowned pleasers and more easily accessible scents. Some of these scents get suggested for very good reasons.

Conversely the more experienced members hardly ever throw out a really broad request for scent suggestions. I think 2 Man by CdG can be added to the list of scents that are consistently suggested. I know I'm guilty of that
    Signature Scent

Would include among the perhaps less mentioned- but still unexpectedly good- among others:

Loewe para Hombre
    Gucci Nobile
    Fendi Theorema Uomo and Life Essence
    most Marbert fragrances, especially Gentleman
    Lagerfeld Photo
    Davidoff Relax
    most Faconnable scents
    Knize Forest and Ten Golden Edition
    Hermes Rocabar
    Yardley Citrus&Wood
    Chopard Noble Vetiver

quite a few more among these generally understated, underrated but still altogether rewarding scents.

Experience has s lot to do with it.

If you're only familiar with 3 types of rose perfumes, 4 vetiver & 2 tobacco - that's all you're going be able to suggest, right?

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

Unique and rarely talked about, eh... Here are three that immediately come to mind:

Supercilium by O'driù -- a unique (and outstanding) take on Vetiver. That said, you could add just about any of the O'driù releases as they all are unique...

Captain (vintage) by Molyneux -- probably the finest implementation of oakmoss I have encountered to date. Many powerhouse characteristics without being a powerhouse. Quite unique and absolutely incredible smelling.

Red for Men (vintage) by Giorgio Beverly Hills -- extremely difficult to describe as it contains so many well-blended ingredients, picking out individual notes is near impossible. Also it is near impossible to find anything that smells like it, past or present. Truly great.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

They're called crowdpleasers. Problem is that most of the time, people want to smell like other people. Curiosity and open-mindedness is the key...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

I must say I have noticed what the OP is talking about, and specifically on the men's fragrance discussion board. I think men get totally shafted when it comes to the sheer range and diversity of notes that women are offered in their fragrances - your choice seems to be a lot more limited. It's a shame, really. But I also think that men tend to limit themselves to the men's aisle too much. I can think of loads of "female" and unisex scents that would be devastating on a man, if you would only allow yourselves to explore a bit.

Why is vanilla considered a female note, for example? Look at Shalimar - it is almost disturbing how leathery, smoky, and animalic that vanilla is. I would love to smell it on more men. I bet it would work better with your chemistry than with mine! I would swoon if I smelled it on a guy.

Why do your vetivers always have to be so harsh and astringent (Encre Noir anyone?) - a friendly, warm incense vetiver like Etro's Shaal Nur would be bloody gorgeous on a man. I would take a bite out of your neck if more of you wore something like this. Shaal Nur doesn't get talked about too much, which is a pity, because it is gorgeous and easily wearable by a man or a woman. I sprayed Guerlain's Vetiver on my arm the other day and thought it smelled repulsively old school, like something my dad would splash on coming out of the squash club in the seventies.

I am wearing Coze today - wonderful scent, and although people are generally positive about it in reviews on BN, it never gets mentioned as a viable masculine on the boards here. It smells like the sexiest lumberjack ever, who has a cup of coffee in one hand and a joint in the other, and is wearing an ancient, soft checked shirt that smells of patchouli oil rubbed into the collar eons ago. Real, attractive men who work with their hands smell like this.

You know, I always found it funny in the Guide, that Luca Turin would bemoan the lack of thought put into masculines by the perfume industry, but then turn around and recommend a feminine whose values had been degraded through reformulation as now being "suitable for a man", as if the inferior version of a once great perfume was now only fit for dogs, er, I mean, men. For example, he talks about how all the richness has been stripped away from the once great Parfum Sacre, and then dismissively says, "It would make a great masculine though", as if you guys are deserving only of the weaker, less good version! Come on, we can all do better than that! Parfum Sacre is still excellent, by the way, a milky/rosy/incense wood that is a riff on Bois des Iles and would be devastatingly attractive on a man.

I have probably strayed way off topic here, and I apologize. But I do think men should think past all the usual suspects (Aventus, Gucci pour Homme II, etc.) and venture further afield. Speaking as a woman - we have FAR too many perfumes over here on our side of the aisle, come on over and help us out, would ya?

I know I've said this before, but Deeply by MariaLux is worthy of discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post

Aventus
    GIT
    LDDM
    LIDGE
    Terre d'Hermes
    Fahrenheit
    Tobacco Vanille
    New Haarlem
    Avignon
    Neroli Portofino
    GIT and Fahrenheit have been recommended here since the beginning of Basenotes.

It will be interesting to see if the others get the same mileage.
    I remember when Casran, Yang and anything from Villoresi, L'Artisan and Caron used to be mentioned in just about every recommendation thread. But they fell totally out of favour.

Beats me why 1 Million is rarely recommended here. Or Paris Hilton For Men.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post

Why do your vetivers always have to be so harsh and astringent (Encre Noir anyone?) - a friendly, warm incense vetiver like Etro's Shaal Nur would be bloody gorgeous on a man. I would take a bite out of your neck if more of you wore something like this. Shaal Nur doesn't get talked about too much, which is a pity, because it is gorgeous and easily wearable by a man or a woman.
    Actually, Shaal Nur was flavour of the half year back in the mid 2000s - it just kept popping up in thread after thread.

However, it has fallen so out of favour in the popularity stakes, that until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten that I owned it.
    Regards,
    Renato

I wanna throw in

Imaginary Authors :
    Memoirs of a Trespasser
    Cape Heartache

Rania J. :
    Ambre Loup
    Lavande 44
    Oud Assam
    Jasmin Kama

and I will always recommend HdP 1725 Casanova over MDCI IB everyday
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    They're called crowdpleasers. Problem is that most of the time, people want to smell like other people. Curiosity and open-mindedness is the key...
    You are right Alfa, agree.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Dead right.

When SA's tell me that this is their 'best seller' it's a turn off for me.

Highly agree with HDP 1725 Casanova. SOTD for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpentaZ View Post
    I wanna throw in

Imaginary Authors :
    Memoirs of a Trespasser
    Cape Heartache

Rania J. :
    Ambre Loup
    Lavande 44
    Oud Assam
    Jasmin Kama

and I will always recommend HdP 1725 Casanova over MDCI IB everyday

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Actually, Shaal Nur was flavour of the half year back in the mid 2000s - it just kept popping up in thread after thread.

However, it has fallen so out of favour in the popularity stakes, that until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten that I owned it.
    Regards,
    Renato
    This is so nice! I'd forgotten about my bottle.

I like the Mazzolari Mazzolari, Lui & Vetyver especially (others in the line are great, too)
    and I'm always banging on about Profumum.

The only Burberry that gets mentioned often is London - truthfully, I have several of the Burberrys, London, Touch, Brit and Weekend (don't currently have "For Men" but have had it in the past) and ALL of them garner female compliments on a regular basis (I know this is not important to many people, but to some it is) anyway they are good solid scents that are not mentioned often. Another that gets only passing mention is Kenneth Cole Reaction - another very nice warmish weather scent. On a higher rung there is Eau d' Hadrian and Eau de Sud, neither of which get much mention and several of the Penhaligons are simply lovely I know some of these have a bit of age on them now, but they are still good solid scents and readily available. For the "casual wearer" these affordable fragrances are nice to have and for those seeking something a little more expensive and refined the Penhaligons and Annick Goutals fit the bill well - the lower priced ones may seem blase to the aficionado with a lot of money to spend on fragrances but to "average Joes" they are good for them to know about at least.

I would like to add a few:

Eau de Sud-Annick Goutal(+Hadrien)
    Oyedo(d'Elide)-Diptyque
    Eva Kant-O'Driu(a real stunner)
    Sienne d'Hiver-Eau d'Italie
    Omniscent-Yosh
    Burning Barbershop-D.S. & Durga

+Castile-Penhaligons
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.

Brecourt Esprit Mondain: At first try, I thought this was just a more expensive niche Hugo Boss Bottled knock off. The more time I spent with it I realized that it's actually a pretty good fragrance and obviously much better than the Boss. In fact, I think my girlfriend likes it more than me as she got me a much bigger bottle for Valentine's Day...this is one she always swoons over.

Esprit Mondain opens with a light spice and beautiful citrus top note, which is pretty standard. In the middle though, a nice bouquet of lavender soaked in wine hits which is really different and surprising after a typical male fragrance opening. Between the middle ad the base is a sweet myrrh and the base is woody and clean-musky. Honestly, Esprit Mondain isn't something that's off the wall different, it's a safe scent all the way. But, I find that its highly versatile, extremely comfortable and my girlfriend loves it...what's not to like about that. Any time my girlfriend wants me to wear something and I don't have to cringe thinking of some synthetic aquatic mess is a win in my book.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I think this happens most when people with smaller collections/less experience ask, so naturally the suggestions lean towards crowned pleasers and more easily accessible scents. Some of these scents get suggested for very good reasons.

Conversely the more experienced members hardly ever throw out a really broad request for scent suggestions. I think 2 Man by CdG can be added to the list of scents that are consistently suggested. I know I'm guilty of that
    I think this is your answer. When people ask for a general recommendation for a great citrus fragrance, the category is so broad that crowd pleasers tend to be recommended. If someone were to instead ask for a spicy oriental with lots of cinnamon, then you'll get some very specific recommendations.

thanks
    rick

Blog Entries

Generally, I've noticed that many people want something from dept stores. (Not too pricy) I find that very limiting. Personally I ran through mainstream choices pretty quickly and began ordering samples a long time ago.

Not to get into a big discussion about spending money- yadda yadda, but I do think that you come to a point when you are spending $50-80 for mediocre scents that you don't really wear vs. a really wonderful one for $175 that will put you in outter space whenever you wear it.

"Not to get into a big discussion about spending money- yadda yadda, but I do think that you come to a point when you are spending $50-80 for mediocre scents that you don't really wear vs. a really wonderful one for $175 that will put you in outter space whenever you wear it."

I do know what you mean, I am entering that territory myself. I look at all the stuff I have that I don't really LOVE, but wear and think "Hmmm, I could have had one NICE 150+ dollar one for those five 30 dollar ones or three 50 dollar ones AND have more shelf space..."

Completely agree with this. For me, this was a lesson learned. It's hard to swallow the price tag sometimes...but when you realize you could have gotten a really nice $150 fragrance instead of 3 department store fragrances that you're indifferent about you start approaching purchases differently. At least this was the case for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    "Not to get into a big discussion about spending money- yadda yadda, but I do think that you come to a point when you are spending $50-80 for mediocre scents that you don't really wear vs. a really wonderful one for $175 that will put you in outter space whenever you wear it."..."
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

actually I noticed most threads quickly become a list compiling freak fest!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    I don't know...this thread has been a long time coming for me...I have been in search for a new unique frag for a while and I look to find new stuff...and, it's always the same stuff. If you even look at the SOTD's, it's the same frags being worn by different people...there are a few new and different ones in the mix, but it's all just recycled through different people. When you see fragrances bought...yep, the same frags...and when you see what people are looking to buy...yep, the same frags. Not that they don't have every right to buy those frags and good for them...it's just the same old same old.

I just wonder if other frags began to be mentioned more often, if SOTD's would be those frags, and frags bought and looking to be bought would be those frags? But, then it would just be a new list of frags mentioned over and over again...it's all good, I just would like to hear about a lot of different ones...variety is the spice of life right?

When I HAVE seen new frags, I research them to see if it would be something that I would like...I don't just go by what people are saying, I decide for myself...BUT I love it when people mention new things that I haven't heard of so that I can seek out new things. Good stuff!!
    Last edited by Kybid; 11th April 2014 at 08:36 PM.

Basenotes Plus

It may be more of an issue in MFD - in FFD & General there may be a wider variety & info. on new releases is often posted in General.

Blog Entries

You might like to look at this thread. There were a lot that sounded interesting to me.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/375...yet?highlight=

I find the FFD SOTD thread is a. Instant source of new suggestions, many of which I've never heard.

Here's a few that I don't often hear discussed that would work unisex.

Kielh's Original Musk Oil
    Keiko Mecheri Bois de Santal
    Olfactive Studio Chambre Noire
    Hermes Eau d'Hermes
    Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin

And one I've yet to actually sniff but really want to

Lagerfeld Classic
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Those are the consequences of the hyped trains, those fragrances are also on my list, the "to avoid" list lol since I'm not a fan of uniform

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Those are the consequences of the hyped trains, those fragrances are also on my list, the "to avoid" list lol since I'm not a fan of uniform
    I don't try to avoid them...but through experience I have come to realize that 99% of the hyped frags are really not for me...so, I won't go out of my way to try them

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I find the FFD SOTD thread is a. Instant source of new suggestions, many of which I've never heard.

Here's a few that I don't often hear discussed that would work unisex.

Kielh's Original Musk Oil
    Keiko Mecheri Bois de Santal
    Olfactive Studio Chambre Noire
    Hermes Eau d'Hermes
    Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin

And one I've yet to actually sniff but really want to

Lagerfeld Classic
    A friend of mine used to wear that most of the time many years ago and on him it smelled positively divine

Cannabis Santal by Fresh makes me sad that winter is over. OK, maybe not, but I'll sure look forward to pulling this one out next fall! It's such a great gourmand/patchouli scent, and since it's placed in a part of my local Sephora that isn't where the men's scents are, it's practically guaranteed the few men who actually DO go into that store will never find it. Yay.

Al Rehab's Choco Musk isn't listed in the basenotes directory, but it should be. My god, the stuff is fantastic, and it's cheaper than dirt cheap online. I have the roll on rather than a spray. It lasts for ages. I'd love to try the spray (is it an EdT?) but I haven't been able to find it, and really, the roll on is nice for this kind of scent.

Donna Karan, Fuel for men seems to never get mentioned here, and that surprises me. It's an elegant brain teaser of a scent; one part Egoiste, 1 part Fahrenheit, yet it smells like neither of them (especially not like Fahrenheit!). If you're bored of the same old same old and want something with surprising versatility, definitely seek out a sample of this one.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 12th April 2014 at 01:05 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Cannabis Santal by Fresh makes me sad that winter is over. OK, maybe not, but I'll sure look forward to pulling this one out next fall! It's such a great gourmand/patchouli scent, and since it's placed in a part of my local Sephora that isn't where the men's scents are, it's practically guaranteed the few men who actually DO go into that store will never find it. Yay.

Al Rehab's Choco Musk isn't listed in the basenotes directory, but it should be. My god, the stuff is fantastic, and it's cheaper than dirt cheap online. I have the roll on rather than a spray. It lasts for ages. I'd love to try the spray (is it an EdT?) but I haven't been able to find it, and really, the roll on is nice for this kind of scent.

Donna Karan, Fuel for men seems to never get mentioned here, and that surprises me. It's an elegant brain teaser of a scent; one part Egoiste, 1 part Fahrenheit, yet it smells like neither of them (especially not like Fahrenheit!). If you're bored of the same old same old and want something with surprising versatility, definitely seek out a sample of this one.
    I agree with Choco Musk. That one has the most compliments of anything in my collection, and it is so cheap. The quality is really great though overall.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I tend to think that most people when asked what they recommend is mention ones that are "near and dear" to their OWN heart....we tend to pitch stuff we love and have worn...

Some of the ones that don't get much love here that I personally think are fantastic are:

Anvers
    Frank no. 2
    Fougere Royale
    Floris Santal
    Divine Sage
    Haitian Vetiver
    MFK Oud
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Cannabis Santal by Fresh is a Fantastic Fragrance and one that I own... In my 11 years at Basenotes I allow my nose to make the decision on what's good and what's not... There have been many that were praised that I couldn't wash off fast enough... There have been those that many did not like that I Love!!!
    There are times that I feel alone being a Bond No.9 fan... I know now that there are many here that Love Bond No.9 and that number seems to be growing!!!
    Thank You to all that have mentioned fragrances in this thread that get no press!!!
    GREAT THREAD!!!

That sometimes is the problem with the question about a recommendation. It seems to me instead of looking at the criteria the poster is asking about, there is a tendency to recommend from individual taste.

[QUOTE=FSU92grad;3120712]I tend to think that most people when asked what they recommend is mention ones that are "near and dear" to their OWN heart....we tend to pitch stuff we love and have worn...
    Last edited by Mrnybluesman; 12th April 2014 at 04:39 AM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    That sometimes is the problem with the question about a recommendation. It seems to me instead of looking at the criteria the poster is asking about, their is a tendency to recommend from individual taste.
    I agree...the thing that gets me most is when people say they want something warm, dark, earthy, etc. and someone pops in and says that they would recommend Aventus because it's amazing. Yeah, that sure doesn't fit the criteria. I also love it when people are asking for, say, a minty frag, and people look to the fragrances that they have experience with and say, "I think Terre d'Hermes has a strong minty vibe to it." Yeah, no mint in Terre. I say if you don't have any experience with a frag that meats the criteria, don't recommend an off the wall frag.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Cannabis Santal by Fresh is a Fantastic Fragrance and one that I own... In my 11 years at Basenotes I allow my nose to make the decision on what's good and what's not... There have been many that were praised that I couldn't wash off fast enough... There have been those that many did not like that I Love!!!
    There are times that I feel alone being a Bond No.9 fan... I know now that there are many here that Love Bond No.9 and that number seems to be growing!!!
    Thank You to all that have mentioned fragrances in this thread that get no press!!!
    GREAT THREAD!!!
    I learned a long time ago that you were a fellow Bond fan...you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    There's a lot of truth in that. 'Best vetiver for spaying the cat' threads end up with every vetiver known to man listed, as members add their own favourites with scant regard to the specifications in the original post. Some individuals have a propensity to list a dozen suggestions; they can't all be the best, surely? Yes, we already know you have a broad knowledge of scents, thank you.

/grumble

Anyway here's a few good ones that I usually only ever see me mentioning. All suitable for cat-spaying:

C O Bigelow Bay Rum (spicy, old-school, warm, sexy)

Courvoisier L'Edition Imperiale (boozy, woody)

Siskiyou Cedar Cologne (you think spraying yourself with a few droplets of pee makes you edgy, when half the male population over a certain age walk around with a permanent 'damp patch'? Try Juniper Ridge for something genuinely 'out-there')

Basenotes Plus

There are threads talking about some pretty obscure fragrances. The problem is, how many others know them and have smelled them in order to discuss them?
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Dior Homme
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

These are not my usual suspects ...

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    There are threads talking about some pretty obscure fragrances. The problem is, how many others know them and have smelled them in order to discuss them?
    Not saying that they have to be obscure, just saying that most people on this site have quite an extensive collection of fragrances, and, I'm pretty sure those collections don't JUST consist of the main frags mentioned, so I'm just saying...don't be afraid to mention, or even suggest some new frags, not necessarily obscure, but one's that don't get mentioned as much.

I think it's a combination of a few things.

1. Guys are systematic. We're looking to solve a problem. We do market research and read consumer reports. We aren't interested in fantasy and drawn out adventures. Most guys come in looking to solve a problem. They want the community to pump out a specific list of things to try to solve their 'vetiver' or 'date' gap so they can plug it in and move on. So the same fragrances being recommended is useful becuase basically it's a shortcut where the OP doesn't have to read 10 related threads and compile a list of what's popular. They can start a targeted thread for their issue and get 10-20 responses where newbies who've already assimilated all the info want to feel useful and fire off the common 3-5-10 scents that everyone agrees are generally good (with the caveat of sample first to cover their asses).

2. Many people who want the list aren't enthusiasts, or they're early ones who want to skim the rabbit hole instead of falling into it. Amongst us are people who are in this for the long haul. We've smelled thousands, tested hundreds and own one to three hundred scents in bottles or decants. Your average person has no idea this is even possible, nor are they interested. They want recommendations that are not obscure weird expensive niche lines. Generally people want something they can find in their local area, has a brand name they might have even heard of, has "nice" packaging, and is within a reasonable (accessible) price point.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I think it's a combination of a few things.

1. Guys are systematic. We're looking to solve a problem. We do market research and read consumer reports. We aren't interested in fantasy and drawn out adventures. Most guys come in looking to solve a problem. They want the community to pump out a specific list of things to try to solve their 'vetiver' or 'date' gap so they can plug it in and move on. So the same fragrances being recommended is useful becuase basically it's a shortcut where the OP doesn't have to read 10 related threads and compile a list of what's popular. They can start a targeted thread for their issue and get 10-20 responses where newbies who've already assimilated all the info want to feel useful and fire off the common 3-5-10 scents that everyone agrees are generally good (with the caveat of sample first to cover their asses).

2. Many people who want the list aren't enthusiasts, or they're early ones who want to skim the rabbit hole instead of falling into it. Amongst us are people who are in this for the long haul. We've smelled thousands, tested hundreds and own one to three hundred scents in bottles or decants. Your average person has no idea this is even possible, nor are they interested. They want recommendations that are not obscure weird expensive niche lines. Generally people want something they can find in their local area, has a brand name they might have even heard of, has "nice" packaging, and is within a reasonable (accessible) price point.
    Good points...I can definitely see this. Thanks, makes sense.

Divine fragrances are rarely - almost never - mentioned although at least two of their masculines are complete masterpieces (L'homme sage, L'homme de coeur). Also that's the proof that Luca Turin isn't *that* "opinion leader" anymore, since he quite supported them in his guides and older blogs but still...

Olivier Durbano also does nice scents (sometimes) but still I feel he is rarely mentioned here.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | *NEW* Signoricci VTG BNIB, Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat