Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: New Frédéric Malle Release - Eau de Magnolia

Finally you can add to the cart on the us website

Tested it this afternoon at 10 corsocomo in Milan: sparkling, transparent, rather lightweight, with the eponymous note appearing in all its beauty at a certain point but fading rather quickly in a mossy drydown. It's not love at first sight for me, but I'll try it on again.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Institution

Graindemusc reviewed it positively here: http://graindemusc.blogspot.com/2014...enaim-for.html

...And indeed, for all its freshness, Eau de Magnolia does also convey steaminess – honeyed dew evaporating from petals in the morning sun. The moistness, very much a part of the scent of magnolia, is expressed by a faintly aqueous fruitiness (which shouldn’t send calone-phobes screaming for their mothers).

Despite their differences, Eau de Magnolia shares some of La Panthère’s qualities: great volume and long-lastingness, a silky yet translucent sillage, and that haziness that marks them as contemporary iterations rather than tribute-band versions of classics...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

To say the truth - I was disappointed.some women could wear it, not men.there should be some secret, however from the first wearing and smelling on the card I smell some sweet honeyed flowers with a very vague reminiscence to cristalle (more EDp than edt).i used to dislike dans tes bras, portrait of a lady.now I love them and find them unique.with magnolia I doubt I would change my mind - too simplistic,even reminiscent to mainstream scents. for some women who like sticky florals,it could work well.eau de magnolia does not overcome cristalle or diorella.Too simplistic
    Last edited by DreamerII; 13th June 2014 at 08:48 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Recently got my large bottle. Found it very nice and although sweet, not unbearably so.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Must try this one.

Love at first sniff, takes the Cologne accord in a different direction, headspace magnolia is gorgeous surrounded by woody, mossy notes, just like Jurassic Flower (happens to be my fave in the flour mechanique). reminiscent of Carnal Flower, but more wearable, not as loud, but the floral note is very realistic. The vetiver throughout makes this very unisex, might even lean masculine, I bought a large bottle. My summer go-to. The longevity and silage is awesome for an FM, it lasts all day.
    Last edited by Kake718; 16th June 2014 at 10:16 PM.

I was at Barney's today and sprayed this. I am sadly not too familiar with the real magnolia scent, and my muguets are more from Diorissimo than from the garden, but the perfume actually reminded me a lot of a rich muguet. Does magnolia and muguet share unexpected similarities? Or did Roudnitska, in creating Diorissimo, err on the side of magnolia, to avoid falling into the usual functional muguet trap? Who knows. In any case, the same whiteness, the same citrusy facets, a certain cleanliness that however doesn't become functional. It has a certain sweetness and honeyness, but just enough to balance the white flower cleanliness. Very good so much so that I'd suggest it for those who miss vintage Diorissimo (the current Diorissimos being either too sharp or too dull) -not that it's close, but one does what one can. Vintage Diorissimo, especially in parfum, is much better, with the civet and the rest.

Longevity was ok on me.It feels very light and transparent (almost like an Ellena), but it is there. I applaud the proposal of a muguet for the boys, and I think it will actually smell more interesting on them. Not sure it's a to buy yet (I have some Diorissimo), but I'll be definitely thinking about it.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    <snippety>Does magnolia and muguet share unexpected similarities? </snip>
    I think, so. Some varieties of magnolia at least, head in that direction.
    In an earlier post to this thread (April) I mentioned the Saucer Magnolias that were then out in bloom here as having a citrus/lily-ish/spicy scent.
    Doing some research, here's what Poucher has to say of magnolia's scent:

"...the fragrance resembles that of a ylang-lily complex, with a shading of clove and a top note of lemon" (Poucher, Perfumes, Cosmetics and Soaps, Vol.2, p.133).
    He further noted that a magnolia-like compound could be made most easily by the modification of an already created muguet.

Interesting association, cacio and interesting infos gandhajala .
    I'm now at my third full wear of EdM (from the tester at corsocomo in Milan) and about to buy a FB.
    I don't see much a resemblance with muguets, while I definitely find most of the nuances of the natural magnolia grandiflora flowers: the citrussy, the creamy, the waxy facets. I smelled often natural muguets and while they certainly share some odorants with magnolias, their smell is IMO more shady, more humid and fresh, while magnolias grandifloras' is somewhat sunnier and more airy, though it certainly has a subtle aquatic, marine shade.
    The aspect I love most of EdM is its mossy. rooty drydown, anyway.

Only a small tester bottle at Holt Renfrew here in Montréal, but the SA let me have a spritz. It was a lemony floral cologne with a white musk- smelling background... Did not find it too original or compelling, but will test it again when I can really douse myself with it.

Basenotes Institution

This sounds awesome
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I was at Barney's today and sprayed this. I am sadly not too familiar with the real magnolia scent, and my muguets are more from Diorissimo than from the garden, but the perfume actually reminded me a lot of a rich muguet. Does magnolia and muguet share unexpected similarities? Or did Roudnitska, in creating Diorissimo, err on the side of magnolia, to avoid falling into the usual functional muguet trap? Who knows. In any case, the same whiteness, the same citrusy facets, a certain cleanliness that however doesn't become functional. It has a certain sweetness and honeyness, but just enough to balance the white flower cleanliness. Very good so much so that I'd suggest it for those who miss vintage Diorissimo (the current Diorissimos being either too sharp or too dull) -not that it's close, but one does what one can. Vintage Diorissimo, especially in parfum, is much better, with the civet and the rest.

Longevity was ok on me.It feels very light and transparent (almost like an Ellena), but it is there. I applaud the proposal of a muguet for the boys, and I think it will actually smell more interesting on them. Not sure it's a to buy yet (I have some Diorissimo), but I'll be definitely thinking about it.

cacio
    Cacio, you're right! I'm wearing a kimono that's been in contact with EdM and it's giving off a delicious muguet- like smell...

I'm reading that molecules that smell of lily of the valley are among the most widely used in perfumery, so why not here!
    Last edited by iodine; 18th June 2014 at 08:38 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Sample ordered as it's sounding more and more interesting.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I would really like to try this. I'm just afraid if I walk into Barneys I'll walk out with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I would really like to try this. I'm just afraid if I walk into Barneys I'll walk out with something.
    A pleasant risk though wouldn't you say?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I must be in Barney's mail list because I received the msg below. Malle will be at Barney's NYC tomorrow (wed), so interested NYers can check it.

cacio

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to our Frederic Malle PA Event at Barneys New York, Madison Avenue on June 18th (Wednesday) from 6pm - 8pm. He will be launching his latest parfum masterpiece Eau de Magnolia, an amazing addition to the collection, created by world renown perfumer Carlos Benaim. It is a crisp and sparkling blend of:
    * Bergamont
    * Magnolia Grandiflora
    * Haitian Vetiver
    * Patchouli
    * Tree Moss

We will be receiving a limited amount Eau de Magnolia for this special event and are currently taking pre-sale orders. Place your pre-sale order now for pickup and meet Frederic Malle himself on June 18th. If you are unable to attend, I will gladly ship your order to your home.

My second wearing of Eau de Magnolia and exploring the scent all the day on the card.
    To my mind, it's the worst scent in FM line. Malle mentioned that he says "no" very often.
    This time he shouldn't launch this scent. Benaim was not capabable to compose the scent which accords with Malle scents.
    Cloying sweet floral scent with a musky (with a tiniest drop of patchouli and vetiver) base notes. What do they mean when they say "chypre" base notes? It's a trivial white floral with suffocating musky sweetness.
    Dries van Notten was a very good and unique scent and Malle could launch it in his line with a black label.

p.s. Malle's conversation with Benaim is quite sad too. I think Malle was thinking to say "no", however because of the respect to Benaim and the idea that couple of years spent on creating magnolia scent were gone, he said "yes"
    Last edited by DreamerII; 19th June 2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Basenotes Plus

Just trying it for the first time and there was a very 'lily of the valley' -ish bit to start.
    In terms of floral/magnolia scents it doesn't seem terribly sweet to me but I've only just applied it so don't know how it will wear yet.
    Last edited by lpp; 19th June 2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

The opening smells like a flower to me, a definite grandiflora. Imagine pulling up a fresh flower from a garden on a dewy, spring day. It reminds me of the archetype smell of putting your nose in a flower. So picture all of that: it is fresh, sweet, but also honeyed and creamy, and also earthy and polleny in a way. Truly smells like you buried your nose in beautiful flower. I have no idea what a magnolia smells like but, like I stated, it's essentially the smell of a pretty flower. I think it's a nice opening, it's refreshing to get a whiff of a floral scent that isn't overbearing and sugary sweet and cloying a la most mass market feminine perfumes.

As for wearability, personally, I'm not really into florals and could see how this may work better on the fairer sex but as it progresses it turns a bit more "gentlemanly," I can feel the vetiver working in there and I can detect the cedar and a hint of patchouli. As I normally don't seek out this genre in perfumery I have no comparisons, sorry.
    Last edited by repose; 20th June 2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: errata

Basenotes Institution

Would anyone compare this to Jour d'Hermes?

-- Eckhart Tolle

As I mentioned in my post, as it moves towards the drydown, this one does almost feel like an Ellena. But almost. It has more body and it's more vivid than the transparent, evanescent Jour d'hermes. Also, while Jour d'Hermes feels notably abstract, this one feels like it could be an actual flower. It has more citrus and more muguet, and likely more indolic materials. I'm not sure I'd wear JdH, but I'd be happy wearing this.

I'd say they are different, but in the same general style. If a person likes one, he should like the other as well.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by repose View Post
    ... I have no idea what a magnolia smells like ....
    Like Eau de Magnolia!!!! It really displays all the facets of the flower, also a certain sourish fruit decay note, at some point, that magnolia flowers give off when crushed- I used to play with magnolia flowers when I was a child!

I loved your description, it's very spot on- the pollen, the cream, the honey, the so- very- moderate sweetness and the beautiful drydown!

I received my FB, yesterday, BTW

I'm not much a Chanel expert, but to my nose EdM recalls N° 19.... and agree with cacio on the comparison with Jour d'Hermès.

This has been in my heavy rotation lately, it lies in-between Geranium Pour Monsieur and Carnal Flower, IMO better than GPM, and more wearable than CF....However....everyone keeps saying this is a sweet scent, I would never think of calling it sweet, it's a woody, floral Chypre , there is a creaminess to the petals of magnolia flower , but there is also a lot green notes which headspace is probably responsible to keep this from becoming a flabby frag. ( term in wine, when development of structure falls flat, thus making finish feel very dull) . Magnolia, Citrus, Vetiver, Patchouli, Moss+ great longevity, what's not to love. I happen to be a HUGE fan of Ylang 49 also, very different, but both are perfect for summer. both are classified as Floral Chypre.

I tried this at Barney's today and I've gotta say I love it! While I do pick up the magnolia, on my skin the citrus and woody notes dominate. I've had this on for almost 7 hours now and to my surprise, it's still going strong. While not exactly similar, this lives in the same universe as Terre d'Hermes, IMO. I'm liking this so much that I'm considering selling my TdH and relying solely on Eau de Magnolia to fill the woody citrus role in my collection.

after smelling Magnolia perfume on woman I've changed my mind a bit. It has some nice aspects, if you do not overspray it. It is very potential and may become very cloying.
    The other thing which I noticed that this perfume has lots in common with the old Anais Anais.
    On some women it could smell really nice, though as I said previously, I doubt, if it was worth the Malle's name.

Magnolia is one of my favorite flowers and smells in nature. So far, no perfume has been able to capture its lush, creamy, but also slightly citrusy essence. I didn't expect this level of realism from Eau de Magnolia, but blog reviews had conditioned me for something lively, even sparkling, and I liked that idea. In reality, Eau de Magnolia turned out to be not so sparkling at least on me. It is actually a rather mellow, almost flat flower on my skin--pretty to be sure, warm, and sunny, but I would have preferred it brighter.

Even after so many years, I marvel at how we perceive the same fragrance differently. There are no obvious woody notes on my skin; I wonder if it's related to the difference in climate, too, not just skin chemistry.

I have to say I like it much better than the other recent magnolia releases--Magnolia Grandiflora Michel and Grandiflora Magnolia Sandrine--but still I'd rather sniff Eau de Magnolia from time to time or just wear it on my wrist than wear it for a whole day. Yes, it is persistent.
    Last edited by catnip_too; 1st August 2014 at 04:45 PM.

I wear it regularly these days and like it. But there is a limit, temperature wise, maybe around 27°C where I feel it gets tacky and dull.
    I am no magnolia expert or decidedly lover of this flower. The fragrance has simply an uplifting effect on me just like Oeillet Sauvage by L'Artisan Parfumeur for example.
    Our greatest evils flow from ourselves. – Jean-Jacques Rousseau