Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Frédéric Malle Release - Eau de Magnolia

When I met Monsieur Malle at an event last year, he mentioned the next perfume to be released was a Carlos Benaïm creation, but wouldn't elaborate.
    Welcome Eau de Magnolia to the line, as reported at http://graindemusc.blogspot.co.uk

Default Re: New Frédéric Malle Release

Thanks for this welcomed news. I'm excited to hear about a new Malle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Something to look forward to
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Interesting! If it resembles anything vaguely like magnolia essential oil dilutions it won't be to my liking. Is the 'Eau de' an indication of a possible EdT concentration? We don't know yet I suppose. We no longer have a Malle boutique in Vienna, so this one will likely escape me. Thanks as always, G.!

Basenotes Plus

Looks like another visit to Liberty may be on the cards. Thank you. G

I heard about this in Les Senteurs about a week or so ago. I had no idea that it was this close...

Hopefully it'll be on par with the rest of the line.

for swap/sale:

^ Absolutely, and if so, *this* should be the luscious and creamy and most importantly, authentic magnolia perfume I've been dreaming of all my life ...here's hoping.

Thanks, g!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Looking forward to this

The new release rate for Malle is low -- not sure this is a good thing or bad. Just an observation

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    ^ Absolutely, and if so, *this* should be the luscious and creamy and most importantly, authentic magnolia perfume I've been dreaming of all my life ...here's hoping.

Thanks, g!
    My feelings as well!! Fingers crossed....
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

I saw the article on Grain du musc this morning, it sounds very promising.

You met Monsieur Malle? I hope that he appreciated how lucky he was.

Lovely news, and a Magnolia? Very exciting.

Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Not only am l excited to try this, l'm excited for *you* to try it, E! Keeping my fingers crossed that it's all you've dreamed of & then some.

Thanks for the heads up, g!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Jurassic flower is my favorite Fleur mechanique fragrance, this should be good. FM said he was working on making a magnolia floral, on the same level as jurassic flower. This one is for the girls.
    Last edited by Kake718; 13th April 2014 at 03:36 PM.

Not curious at all. I have never been much of a fan of Malle, and now that they are reformulating all their scents in a horrible way, I am even less interested... in Italy we say "to put a cross on something/someone" meaning that you are not interested anymore in something/someone - as if it was dead for you.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Tsar (vtg)

My sales thread | Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli, Knize Ten Golden Edition...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I'm curious but only moderately excited here as I'm generally not a huge fan of the *main player*...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Hmm. Only thing I really want to know is who the perfumer is.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Hmm. Only thing I really want to know is who the perfumer is.
    Carlos Benaïm

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Carlos Benaïm
    He trained under Bernard Chant, anyway.

Duh. Just saw the perfumer listed in the original post. :-)

Very exciting news! This is one of my favorite houses. Thanks for the info!

Not exactly excited about Magnolia either.

Basenotes Institution

Default Eau de Magnolia by Frederic Malle

According to blog Perfume Shrine:

Magnolia is shaping up to be a major, recurrent theme in niche releases lately and one of the first officially "niche" brands, the one who introduced the notion of "perfume authors", namely Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle is issuing their own version: Eau de Magnolia, as depicted below.

The task has been undertaken by acclaimed perfumer Carlos Benaim who knows how to construct a floral of this waxy and yet also lemony fresh blossom, fluffy and substantial at the same time. The effect can be nothing short of radiant! Up till now, Benaim's skills had been utilized in the Editions de Parfums line for the Home scents (for which he composed Cafe Society, Rosa Rugosa, Rubrum Lily, Jurassic Flower and Saint de Saints), but now a major new release of fine fragrance is trusted upon his shoulders for Eau de Magnolia.
    Also a small description of it from Grain de Musc blog:

While working on Carnal Flower, Dominique Ropion had come up with a tuberose so realistic it couldn’t be worn as a personal fragrance: it ended up as a candle a few years later. This time, Frédéric Malle started by putting out Carlos Benaïm’s rendition of magnolia based on the flower’s headspace as the home fragrance Jurassic Flower. It has now grown into a perfume. Eau de Magnolia was presented to the press just yesterday, but since a new Malle is always an event, I thought I’d wrap up the list with it, pending a full review…
    ADDED: Please note that Eau de Magnolia will hit the shops mid-June.
    Excited to smell this!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Eau de Magnolia by Frederic Malle

Thanks for the info - any Malle release is definitely worth sampling.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Excited to smell this!
    You and me both ! - thanks Mike

Thanks for the update mike, I'm pretty darn excited about this one too, natch.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 15th April 2014 at 09:39 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Will give this a try. Always looking forward to new Malles.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Please note that the two threads have been merged as requested.
    Thank you!

Basenotes Institution

Maybe there's 'eau' in the title because it's going to be a light transparent sort of scent. I might actually like that - all of the magnolia scents I've tried I haven't liked. I smelled the flower once, walking down a hot street in Athens, Georgia years ago. My God, that smell. Amazing. But, in fragrances, I haven't been impressed.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default New EDP Frederic Malle - Eau De Magnolia by Carlos Benaim

Anyone already heard of this? it's out in June 2014 - really looking forward to it)

http://boisdejasmin.com/2014/04/fred...w-perfume.html

Default Re: New EDP Frederic Malle - Eau De Magnolia by Carlos Benaim

Also looking forward to trying it when it makes its appearance.

Blog Entries

Very psyched! Unisex cologne based on magnolia? Awesome!

From a press release quoted at: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...m_6.html#more:

The eau de parfum opens on Calabrian bergamot featuring then the magnolia headspace in the heart followed next by coeur de vétiver (Lmr), Patchouli coeur (Lmr), cedar wood, ambre extrême, tree moss
    Read more at http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...YibZXZrXHet.99
    'Lmr' , I assume, refers to Laboratoire Monique-Rémy who supply top-drawer naturals.
    'Ambre extrême', I'm guessing, is *possibly* IFF's Amber Xtreme (?), used, for example, in Invictus.
    As for the headspace analysis, I'd love to know which type of magnolia it was based on. The Saucer Magnolias are out in blossom here, and have a lovely citrus/vaguely-lilyish floral scent with a hint of spice.

Default Re: New Frédéric Malle Release - Eau de Magnolia

Can't imagine this not being a complete winner. I've never met a FM perfume I didn't love.

Ohhh, this one sounds very interesting to me! I may let Mrs. E sniff first, and then follow .

There are so many launches these days, I simply do not smell them any more.
    Total majority of niche and brand scents are horrible - no originality and cheap materials. I am lost. No new interesting YSL, Givenchy, even Tom Ford started to launch less original copies of his Private Blend from 2007.

Frederic Malle - the best nose on this planet. All his creations are marvelous. Every time I come to Malle counter I still marvel. I remember when I received free 5 ml samples of Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices. I was shocked by their beauty. Malle was not know these days. Nowadays he is admired and is totally worth it. I am sure all the perfumers and owners of various brands would wish to create something alike to Malle perfumes, however they do not have the aesthetic sense Malle has.

4 years spent on creation of Eau de Magnolia with C. Benaim! It must be and 100% will be a masterpiece. Every detail will be polished.

p.s. I wish Malle to create a fresh jasmine grandiflorum scent. In the style of Lys Mediterranee. Fresh heady jasmine.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 30th April 2014 at 12:33 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Does anyone know the exact release date for this? It was supposed to be release in mid June (according to Grain De Musc Blog), but somehow, from the FM Facebook page, it said that they are going to release this in a few days.

Basenotes Plus

It's on their own website but there isn't a shopping cart yet.
    http://www.fredericmalle.com/eu/perf...au-de-magnolia

I guess that means it's coming in the next few days. Thanks for the update.

That description really sounds wonderful!!! I really want to sniff this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    It's on their own website but there isn't a shopping cart yet.
    http://www.fredericmalle.com/eu/perf...au-de-magnolia
    Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    That description really sounds wonderful!!! I really want to sniff this one.
    Me too! I may just buy this blind. Benaïm does such great work - summer cologne - it's almost perfect timing!

Sounds great! Can't wait to try this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx for the update Ipp. Hopefully it is out soon =)

Basenotes Plus

It definitely looks worth a try!

It's out now =) ....on the website you can add it but only on the france and international site. It still unavailable on the US website. Hopefully soon

Basenotes Plus

Thanks (I think!) for the info., andreas2x

My guess is that by Tuesday it will become available in the US right after the holiday. We'll see.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My guess is that by Tuesday it will become available in the US right after the holiday. We'll see.
    Shows on US site, but not allowing ordering yet.

Being from Mississippi, I'd love to try a magnolia scent.

Basenotes Plus

According to the New York store, it is due for release in the US on June 2nd.

Might blind buy it. I wonder if it will be at Barney's on June 2 as well. I haven't heard anything about it. I actually have that day off and might swing by if I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'll be stopping by the boutique on June 2nd then and hopefully walking out with a bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Excited to try this one.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Have not smelled it yet. In fragrantica there is a review which compares Eau de Magnolia to Chanel Cristalle edt.
    Chanel Cristalle edt (not edp), Diorella are one of the best colognes I know.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Have not smelled it yet. In fragrantica there is a review which compares Eau de Magnolia to Chanel Cristalle edt.
    Chanel Cristalle edt (not edp), Diorella are one of the best colognes I know.
    Oooooh - that sounds promising!

Basenotes Plus

Shopping cart is now live on FM's site

There is a very nice review here on Bois de Jasmin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Shopping cart is now live on FM's site
    It doesn't look like that's the case in the US.

Another review of it found here.

Basenotes Plus

This is sounding really promising