Code of Conduct

Default Rose Otto Aroma Chemicals

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I've been making natural candles scented with essential oils for the past 6 months. Because Rose Otto is so expensive, I've been looking for aroma chemicals that would be a cheaper option. I got hold of Glen Brechbill's book on the Internet who lists te following but I can't seem to find them anywhere for sale:
    • Neo Rose Otto
    • Damascenia 185 SA
    • Rosessence 17.600B
    • Rose Otto Syn. Pour Savon
    • Rose Tenace

I would be keen to know if there are other aroma checmicals I coudl use to enhance my Rose candles. I am going to use Geraniol but it smells more of an English Rose rather than a Rose Otto.

Akamar

Default Re: Rose Otto Aroma Chemicals

Damascenia 185 SA is a Firmenich base, The Good Scents company sells it. Rosessence may well be a Firmenich base as well, but I'm to sure. I have no idea about the others although they sound like general synthetic rose bases, of which there are a lot. Have you tried the Perfumer's Apprentice for some good Rose bases.

Rose Otto contains Geraniol, Citronellol, Nerol, Geranyl Acetate, Citronellyl Acetate, Neryl Acetate, alpha Damascone, beta Damascone and a little Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol. Small amounts of Linalol, Farnesol and Eugenol are also present. To help with your candle I would also consider using alpha Ionone, Cinnamic alcohol and some Rosone even though they are not present in the natural Otto. A touch of Aldehyde C11 lenic will improve the performance.

Hi David,

Thank you so much for all the valuable information. I've contacted the Good Scents Company as I could not find Damascenia 185 SA in their price list. I will consider all the ingredients that you have listed although I can only order certain aromatic compounds with my existing supplier. I'm trying to avoid petroleum-based chemicals and I have very little knowledge of the subject so any suggestions among those on your list would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of fragrance load, is 1 drop of essential oil equivalent to 1 drop of aromatic compound or is the aromatic compound much more powerful? You must think I'm totally ignorant! LOL

The way to discover which material is stronger than the other is to smell them and compare. If you don't want to use "petroleum-based chemicals" you will have to find out which chemicals you can use. Geraniol, Citronellol and Nerol, plus their esters can be made from Turpentine; not sure about the others. A cheaper rose smelling oil is Geranium, although it smells nothing like Rose Otto.

Hi David, I bought some Geraniol from Sigma and the one I bought has the word "natural" next to "Grade". Does this mean it's not made from petroleum-based material. I will ask the company. I use Geranium but like you said it doesn't smell at all like Rose Otto. When I blend it with orange, to me it enhances the sweet aspect of the Orange.

Try mixing Geranium with Lavender and Bergamot; nothing to do with Rose but a lovely combination. If you bought natural Geraniol it would have been very expensive indeed. You can get natural Geraniol (from Palma Rosa oil or indeed from Geranium) but the more common grade is synthetic and, as I wrote above, made from Turpentine.

The rose base Dorinia SA from Firmenich is available too. Perfumer's Apprentice, Hermitage Oils and Hexapus stock it. Might not be for you though if it has to be non-petroleum derived.

Also be very careful when buying bases. Unless they are specifically designed for use in candles they may not be suitable as the solvent they use will not work in candles.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    The rose base Dorinia SA from Firmenich is available too. Perfumer's Apprentice, Hermitage Oils and Hexapus stock it. Might not be for you though if it has to be non-petroleum derived.
    Hi Renegade,

Thank you so much for the info. I will try to find it from these 4 suppliers. The problem with candles is that not all aromas work so I must test them to find out if they give a good scent throw.

Thanks for the tip David, I will ask first as I wasn't aware of this.