Code of Conduct

Default spraying on clothing

I've heard a few people claim that spraying on clothing can increase projection. Is this true? It seems counter intuitive to me, as the frag wouldn't warm up as much as spraying on skin.

Default Re: spraying on clothing

It not about warming up on the skin. Most people body chemistry can play and effect on the fragrance how it smells and how it projects but spray on clothing definitely has it's plus side. Try even spray on your chest and neck before putting your shirt on then spray a couple of time on the shirt itself then your wrist,neck etc it'll most likely change your overall opinion. Remember though with male fragrance the key is just a little is enough
    Last edited by LoveCologne89; 14th April 2014 at 03:16 PM.

I know a few people who spray on their clothes and say the overall effect they get is positive. I have yet to attempt doing it though.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I know a few people who spray on their clothes and say the overall effect they get is positive. I have yet to attempt doing it though.
    I agree with this and would certainly avoid spraying on a coat or jacket that you wear often and have dry cleaned unless you only wear one scent.

I accidentally got black afgano on one of my favorite t-shirts a couple years ago. I kid you not, it took 4 washes for it to go away.

I find it improves longevity rather than projection.

Definitely improves longevity, I really am surprised not many spray on their clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Yes, exactly.

I only spray certain (light) fragrances on my clothing to increase longevity, not necessarily projection. Many EdC's are inherently light, for instance, and demand re-spritzing intermittently throughout the day. But instead of doing that, I've found that spraying it on my shirt will suffice just fine.

If I have a longevity-challenged fragrance (such as most citrus-based colognes), spraying on clothing makes all the difference, for me. It can actually make the difference between me buying the fragrance, or not. Chanel's Eau de Cologne is an example of this. I love the fragrance enough to put up with its inherently poor longevity, and I've found liberally spraying it on my shirt works fine. Not only can I smell it long enough to last the day, I can even smell it on the shirt the next day. Light, citrusy and floral....just as it should be. Perfect for summer.

Some (but not all) lighter fragrances will set into the clothing and last an acceptable period of time, whereas, those same fragrances will quickly absorb and disappear within minutes on skin. If I can't get them to even last on clothing, I don't buy them.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Agree with this. And since it holds the top and heart notes longer the user is more likely to perceive the fragrance. If i spray Aventus on my skin, although others smell it on me after 4-6 hours, I cannot. However if I add 1 spray to clothing I can smell it much longer. I don't usually spray on my clothes, though.

Some of my favourite perfumes like DIA MAN or TAWAF work only on fabric. It's not so much about longevity or projection, they become totally different scents on fabric, rich and beautiful. On my skin they are just pale shadows of themselves. But there are also scents that work better on my skin, like NORNE. On fabric it developes unpleasant potpourri-like notes. And there are scents that perform equally on my skin and fabric. Basically what I want to say is that you should experiment with your perfumes. You may find out that one perfume can become two different perfumes depending on where you apply it.
    Last edited by hoschhti; 13th April 2014 at 01:31 PM.

Kouros by ysl is another that smells great on clothing n quite off beat on my skin. One that how ever works excellent with my body is terre'd Hermes

I agree with this....
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Yep, this!!! I ALWAYS put one spray on the front of my shirt, definitely helps longevity

I spray on clothing most days. Agree it increases longevity quite a bit. Seems like this could be a good strategy for those scents that smell amazing but sometimes have longevity problems on some people (not to mention names, but the initials are D&G The One for Men). In addition, even if I'm wearing on my skin, one spray on my shirt near my chest lets me smell the scent whenever I want by just tilting my head down.

I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but I do feel like it changes the scent a bit -- I very often find I like scents a little better when they're on my skin than on clothes. Maybe psychological, but of course the theory about scents on fabric not burning off the top notes as quickly could be an explanation

Clothing does increase longevity but spraying it in your hair increases projection....It's more porous and soaks up the scent so it leaves a nice scent trial...I usually do one blast to the back of the head in my hair....Adds a few hours
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Longevity because skin processes the perfume faster than fabric.

for swap/sale:

I spray on clothing all the time - as others have said it really helps with longevity in particular of light citrus fragrances. But every fragrance is different as is every fabric and it doesn't always work - indeed some turn for the worse on the wrong fabric. This article has some nice ideas about where to spray :-)

http://www.guerlain.com/uk/en-uk/how-wear-fragrance

Blog Entries

I rarely spray on clothing, but when I do, I make sure that the liquid has no color, or close to transparent. Dark liquid can stain clothes, try it with Chergui.

This
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Another +1... and I will also add that sometimes a certain fragrance may not react well with my skin, so I put it on my clothes.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

This

I know one thing: If you spray ANYTHING from Slumberhouse on your clothing - good luck! It's going to live in there! LOL

Like Hedonist implied, our skin seems to actively break down perfumes, whereas fabric has little reactivity. The down side is that certain frags can be awfully persistent on fabric. If you spray the back of your hand, I've got a few shirts where the cuffs are pretty smelly.

Ditto the observation about Slumberhouse !

Doesn't seem wise to me. I've never tried it myself but I remember as a child my dad fell culprit to clothe spraying. Sure enough mom was not fond of this, claiming it smelled stale after so long. Maybe I will try it eventually, but for the time being I'm sticking to sprays to my skin only. That's what the fragrance was intended for, so even if reapplication is necessary after so many hours at least I know it smells on point

I'm not a fan of clothes spraying.

+1 +1

Blog Entries

Lots of great posts in this thread, but this one is just SO useful. I have taken to doing this, too, with EdCs, and it is just a godsend. And especially the Chanel!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I only spray certain (light) fragrances on my clothing to increase longevity, not necessarily projection. Many EdC's are inherently light, for instance, and demand re-spritzing intermittently throughout the day. But instead of doing that, I've found that spraying it on my shirt will suffice just fine.

If I have a longevity-challenged fragrance (such as most citrus-based colognes), spraying on clothing makes all the difference, for me. It can actually make the difference between me buying the fragrance, or not. Chanel's Eau de Cologne is an example of this. I love the fragrance enough to put up with its inherently poor longevity, and I've found liberally spraying it on my shirt works fine. Not only can I smell it long enough to last the day, I can even smell it on the shirt the next day. Light, citrusy and floral....just as it should be. Perfect for summer.

Some (but not all) lighter fragrances will set into the clothing and last an acceptable period of time, whereas, those same fragrances will quickly absorb and disappear within minutes on skin. If I can't get them to even last on clothing, I don't buy them.
    Nice to see that people are being so experimental! Just try things out and see what happens!

Aventus is great on clothing. Terre'd Hermes is excellent on my skin, but on clothing it actually has a different smell. Someone in this post mentioned experimenting which is a great idea to get the best use out of your favorite scents.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I ALWAYS put one spray on the front of my shirt, definitely helps longevity
    ^This^

improves longevity rather than projection
    +1
    Last edited by redbean; 14th April 2014 at 04:10 PM.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Clothing does increase longevity but spraying it in your hair increases projection....It's more porous and soaks up the scent so it leaves a nice scent trial...I usually do one blast to the back of the head in my hair....Adds a few hours
    This!! I've noticed that having one spray on the back of the head in the hair helps tremendously with projection and longevity.

so general consensus is that it helps longevity but not projection. That's what I thought. Thanks.

That it improves longevity rather than projection is immediately obvious. The projection if a fragrance is a result of how much of it is evaporating, which depends of the vapor pressure of its constituents. For a given constituent with a certain vapor pressure, how much is evaporating depends on the surface area over which it is applied and the temperature of the surface on which it rests (and thus the temperature of the fragrance) and if its absorbed into fabric. Fabric protects it from wind and is, of course, a complex network of fibers on which evaporating molecules can recondense or be reabsorbed before escaping. Also, clothing fabric is at a lower temperature than your skin, so the vapor pressure of the constituents is lowered, decreasing evaporation rates and increasing longevity (and probably decreasing projection).

I think 1 spray to the front of the shirt is good for longevity. Projection, not so much.

Unless it's an extremely strong fragrance, I usually do one spray to each side of the neck, one spray on each arm, and then I walk into another spray. I usually have good results with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    so general consensus is that it helps longevity but not projection. That's what I thought. Thanks.
    Yes, but it can also change the scent itself.

Did not notice a significant improvement of longevity nor of projection while using this method, but then again, it may just be the subjective sensation of my nose and thus a strictly personal opinion.