Code of Conduct

Default Can please someone tell me what this smell is? Its amazing but I dont know what it is

blind purchased Dsquared Rocky Mountain Wood. My jaw dropped when I smelled it out of the bottle. That smelled AMAZING. But when I put it on my skin, that scent disappeared completely and I was left with gross pepper scent. I need to find what that initial scent is. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Default Re: Can please someone tell me what this smell is? Its amazing but I dont know what it is

My guess would be violet.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Default Re: Can please someone tell me what this smell is? Its amazing but I dont know what it is

Cedar wood I think
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

I own this. Just sprayed some. I get a brief alcohol blast followed by violets mixed with white pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    My guess would be violet.
    I second this.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

+3 for violet

+4 for the violet. Do a search and you should be able to find an entire thread on violet and violet leaf here somewhere. I remember there being one, and that could give you a lead on some other great scents to seek out.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Blog Entries

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/D...Wood-5862.html

It appears to be violet, not violet leaf, there's a difference. One of the best violet scents I know of right now is Violette A Sydney by Laura Tonatto. True, it is basically femme, but it's a great violet forward scent. This is a delicate, HTF scent. As far as I know, you can only get it from Italy though :-( $$$$

Dsquared SheWood is wall to wall violet too, so maybe it's just one of their things. I gave away my bottle because I didn't fancy smelling of Parma Violets all of the time.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

I had HWRMW and I too think it's violet, for me the same violet in fahrenheit and Gray flannel. Also there's of course some wood and a lot of pepper, very realistic pepper that combined with the sweetness of violet has a feeling of nutmeg or allspice. I think it is a very nice scent, speacilly when one is cooking some French toast? It went in a trade for Costume National Homme, which is more dificult to come by. I should get HWRMW again ...

Like everyone has mentioned, violet.

Blog Entries

Subtle violet is a gorgeous thing! TDC Un Parfum des Sens et Bois is a good one for the "bois".

I know it's 'designer' and all that, and I have a personal distaste for violet, but, I think this scent should really get more credit for it's interesting mix of a woody aquatic with floral, much like say Prada Amber or Dior Homme as a traditional 'feminine' smell marketed for guys. So the floral side, but also floral in combination with a pleasant woody aquatic. A solid underrated composition, in my opinion, from a technical perspective.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

It's violet - both the flower and the leaf. It lasts longer on paper or fabric, but on my skin it the whole opening accord is quite aromatic - which doesn't seem to last for more than 5 -10 minutes, if that long. The cedar and florals join in the violet accord quite quickly and soon dominates. Very nice scent!
    Last edited by foetidus; 14th April 2014 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    It's violet - both the flower and the leaf. It lasts longer on paper or fabric, but on my skin it the whole opening accord is quite aromatic - which doesn't seem to last for more than 5 -10 minutes, if that long. The cedar and florals join in the violet accord quite quickly and soon dominates. Very nice scent!
    Yes, fantastic woody aromatic scent with a cool violet initial accord in which the violet leaves are supported by dusty (minimally dosed) incense, lily and cedarwood. I love this fragrance.

I despise the powdery smell of violet. I find it very "meh" with no identity or personality whatsoever.

Violet leaf is a different story for me. Can't get enough of it.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....