Code of Conduct

Default Raspberry-Ketone, strange things...

Hello,

today i received some of the raspberry-Ketone in an plastic bottle (around 50g).
    Usually i can detect very tiny amounts of it in many perfumes but in the pure form today i can only smell the plastic from the bottle.
    Can it be that the ketone attracts other smells around and holds them so that the raspberry-note isn't detectable anymore...?
    I now filled the ketone in glass-bottles in the prayer that the fine raspberry-note will come back...

other strange thing:
    i had prior an sample of the raspberry-ketone from a good friend also delivered in an small plastic sample-bottle.
    If i opened that sample i could easily smell the raspberry but today i smelled this tiny sample again and it also smelled nothing of raspberry.

Now i am in fear that once the raspberry-keton is stored in plastik-bottles the raspberry note is lost forever...

Anyone had the same experience or maybe it is pure so strong and my nose is clogged instantly...?

many thanks:

Hondo

Default Re: Raspberry-Ketone, strange things...

Raspberry ketone is very powerful. It will overwhelm most people in pure form. Personally I'm hyperosmic to RK with the result that I can smell it easily in tiny amounts but a 10% solution appears completely odourless to me & even at 1% it is barely detectable.

I kept a strip dipped in a 1% solution in my lab for 12 months and I could still detect raspberry jam whenever I smelt it, but most people would detect nothing at all after a few days.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

I also don't know whats going on with my nose right now.
    Earlier with the little sample i once let it stand open in my perfume-room and i could smell it the first step down the cellar, but the perfume-room door closed.

an hour ago i made another weird detection:
    With an metal-spoon i transfered the pure Ketone in the glassbottles this afternoon.
    Now on the spoon i can smell the raspberry really good but the spoon had been wiped clean 3 times with an napkin.

maybe the RK need some air/oxygen to full bloom and gets detectable for me.

I had also other aromachemicals which i had a bit of trouble with to learn and understand but with the Raspberry-Ketone i didn't get through cause i could smell it the very first times in very tiny amounts.

best Regards:

Hondo

Sounds like you're getting fatigued really quickly from this chemical.. Maybe you should keep it well sealed and make a 1% solution of it, and return to it a day later (assuming it no longer lingers in the room to fatigue your nose again)..

I can barely detect anything when I try to smell it at 100%. I think it's just one of those chems that needs dilution.

Hello,

thanks to all for your help.
    Today i could smell the raspberry-note better when i openen the glassbottles but i had to take a bit distance to my nose.

another question:
    i read that raspberry-ketone is soluble good in both DPG and EtoH up to 10% with no problem.
    Which is the best solvent of the both in order to archive the best evolution in the raspberry-scent...?
    call me crazy but i had encountered this:
    I have Galaxolide-50 in IPM which i love.There are also some fruity/berry facets to it.
    Last time i got also Galaxolide-50 but in DEP and i wouldn't say it smelled completely different to the one in IPM.
    The Galaxolide solved in DEP had another tonation more only like fresh laundry without the slight berry note like in the IPM.

best Regards:

Hondo

Basenotes Plus

I've overused rk quite a bit due to the phenomenon you are describing. At 10 percent it smells vaguely juicy to me and that is all but as soon as I add it to a blend it becomes overwhelmingly raspberry.
    Justin E. Beasley

Hello,

also here many thanks for your help.
    I think i will see what dilution is right for me, i will start at 5% in DPG and look what is best.

Greetings:

Hondo

Seems like the best bet with this chemical is to start small and increase gradually, as it is very hard to find a moderate amount when you can't evaluate that with your nose.