Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Recent Blind Buy Disappointments?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Bentley for Men Intense.
    I can see that happening.

Off topic though: This one turned out to be a big compliment getter for me.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Banned
    Blog Entries

I abandoned blind buys a while ago. They're an empty frivolous pursuit.

Ever since I became more dedicated to saving money and being careful in how I spend it, I find spending even $20-30 on a "cheapie".

I always said I could just sell my blind buys, but with shipping fees and the logistics and the depreciation of value for being used, I'd be lucky to get more than half of what I paid.

I'll spend $200 on a fragrance that I really love, but won't gamble away $20 on a crap blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Actually I am a bit shocked/ surprised -- what were you expecting from them?

To the OP -- I am not sure how spending 17 bucks equates to taking a 'big risk' but it's all relative I suppose
    Surprised that there are a few more voicing a similar opinion on the Bentley???

It's a very good parfum, but I feel it got overblown here & on fragrantica...
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Surprised that there are a few more voicing a similar opinion on the Bentley???

It's a very good parfum, but I feel it got overblown here & on fragrantica...
    'Twas only a matter of time. I call this the third law of fragrance appreciation. 'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction'.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    'Twas only a matter of time. I call this the third law of fragrance appreciation. 'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction'.
    Lol Marais - like your disclaimer!!!

I'm not thrashing either of the parfums, I felt both are being anointed as great, when I felt them good to very good. Again it's just my opinion... I can'tsing along tthat it's great when I don't find them to be so...
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Lol Marais - like your disclaimer!!!

I'm not thrashing either of the parfums, I felt both are being anointed as great, when I felt them good to very good. Again it's just my opinion... I can'tsing along tthat it's great when I don't find them to be so...
    It's all good. The first law states that the hype train continues at a constant velocity until acted upon by a contrary opinion. Bentley had it coming.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I haven't had a bad blind buy in a long time. I almost had one recently though. I was looking to blind buy Kinski and a generous Basenoter gave me a sample of it. It doesn't smell bad it just is kind of boring to me and doesn't really have a wow factor.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Joop homme wild
    It's nice but doesn't last as long as i'd hoped.

Joop Jump & Montblanc Individuel...both have very synthetic smell even though they have quite good reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CH Men Sport
    Giorgio Valenti Rose Noir...sold them both
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

For a laugh, blind bought Kanon Agarwood ($9). Promptly returned.

Have had very good luck with some blind buys lately, so I can't fault them. I enjoy the excitement of it and since they're returnable it's really not much of a gamble.

I've been wearing this Ecko Green quite a bit lately, actually used close to 1/3 of the 1.7 oz bottle. It's actually a quite nice scent. A bit generic, but nice. I still don't get most of the notes listed. I pick up on a lot of incense and woodsy notes, as they meet some sort of pineapple, or maybe apple mixed with another note. Still not as bad as I thought it was, I actually created a fragrance using mostly apple, teak wood, some citruses and it came out smelling quite similar to this, it just has this "home made" vibe to me. The main drawback on this one is longevity, it's very bad, no more than 2 hours.

On the other hand, Musk Wood by Avon, this has turned into my go to room spray. Smells great in the air, really. I've used close to half of the 3.4 oz bottle of this. mostly spraying in the air. It's not bad on skin either, but seems to make people cough around me. I do the normal 3 spray application, I may have to lighten it up to 1 spray with this if I wanna wear it. It's actually a comforting fragrance. Makes you think "where have I smelled this before".

These 2 also layer nicely together. I'm not really one for layering, but this combination works well.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by AreaMan View Post
    For a laugh, blind bought Kanon Agarwood ($9). Promptly returned.

Have had very good luck with some blind buys lately, so I can't fault them. I enjoy the excitement of it and since they're returnable it's really not much of a gamble.
    Is it that bad? Does it smell like oud at all?
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana.

Was extremely pleased to find a new/sealed bottle, well after it had been discontinued. However, in spite of this being one of my favourite houses, I find this stuff utterly foul! Admittedly it does improve given time, but I just cannot get past the opening, which last a good hour or more on me.

Utterly revolting, I'm very sorry to say.
    Currently wearing: Windsor by Creed

Costume National 21.
    There are a lot of positive reviews on this one but I am only getting a dusty note and a weak amber smell. It is also completely linear to my nose. It might grow on me but at the moment I am not impressed. It has got excellent longevity though.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana.

Was extremely pleased to find a new/sealed bottle, well after it had been discontinued. However, in spite of this being one of my favourite houses, I find this stuff utterly foul! Admittedly it does improve given time, but I just cannot get past the opening, which last a good hour or more on me.

Utterly revolting, I'm very sorry to say.
    I actually did not like this one either. Nevertheless, it's a pretty clean smell and weirdly enough the people around me like it... A lot.. :S

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    My niche and designer decant thread (Tom Ford, Xerjoff, Frapin, Creed, Christian Lacroix, Amouage etc): http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....4dbca18c386322

Wasn't recently but I was overall disappointed in bentley intense. Liked it at first but the more I wore it the less I liked it. And not one person I wore it around liked it either. Promptly sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of AWESOME

Not a buy, but trade. Zegna Indonesian Oud...gross stuff.
    MadHat Scents

Røyk - Now Available (Incense, Woods, Amber) / Skiff ON SALE! - (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy ON SALE! (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

Quote Originally Posted by JJMAN View Post
    Wasn't recently but I was overall disappointed in bentley intense. Liked it at first but the more I wore it the less I liked it. And not one person I wore it around liked it either. Promptly sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of AWESOME
    Glad I was able to get a sample of this from someone. You're right, it's extremely overrated. It has like this strange plasticy note in there as it opens up, starts to become really nutty smelling, and dries down until your typical creamy amber. I don't think it's horrible, but it's definitley nothing above average.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

L'Eau Bleu d'Issey Pour Homme. It just doesn't turn my crank

Guerlain L'Homme Intense. It just didn't evoke an emotion in me so it had to go.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Dior Homme Intense. Supremely feminine, soft, etc.

Kanon Norwegian Wood

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Last disappointing blind buy was Creed Aventus a couple of years back. Sold it off after 2 weeks. It didn't work out.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Bruckner Aoud 1. It smells like hairspray to me, and my partner really disliked it as well.

Basenotes Plus

Default Recent Blind Buy Disappointments?

Frank No.2

Totally disappointed in this one. High marks from a few friends on basenotes and fragrantica, so I bought it blind. It's very synthetic, almost like some cheap shampoo vibe coming from it. The plum notes come out after a few minutes, but they are sooooooo weak and watered down that the fragrance just doesn't redeem itself. It feels like someone took a good fragrance and watered it down 3 times and run it through an old shampoo bottle to get that overall crappy, synthetic, grocery store shampoo feel (the kind from the bottom shelf, not even something semi-decent). Non-existing silage and pretty short longevity only make matters worse.

If you want this same plum note, but done 100 times better, stronger, clean and very natural smelling - get John Varvatos (the original, not any of the flankers). It's what Frank No.2 SHOULD have been, if not better (considering its price, 2X higher than John Varvatos).

I have to go wash my arm, I can't stand this cheap smell of mediocre synthetic mess. I gave it three tries just to make sure I was getting it right, but this is it. It's going on the chopping block (for sale), perhaps someone who appreciates cheap synthetic smells will like it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hasn't happened yet, but this is in anticipation. Bought Bentley Azure because I love Intense so much. Of course NOW I see a few, not so great reviews. Maybe I'll be surprised.....
    Last edited by Hyde65; 20th May 2014 at 12:31 AM.

Dior Ambre Nuit

Still trying to figure out how this stuff is considered unisex.
    Check out my current NICHE SALE, you can't beat these prices!

Just a mild disappointment with Loud for Him, since I was expecting much and the cost was low, though I was pleasantly surprised with Cadillac Coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Bruckner Aoud 1. It smells like hairspray to me, and my partner really disliked it as well.
    +1 for me also. Have my 20ml decant for sale :/