Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recent Blind Buy Disappointments?

Recently I purchased 2 cheapies. Marc Ecko Green, and Avon's Musk Wood. the total for both was only like 27 bucks or so, so not a big deal.

I'm usually not fond of Avon fragrances, but Musk Wood gets compared to Wondewood according to Fragrantica, and although I have never tried Wonderwood, it looks like something I would love. Well.. I really hope Wondewood has more going on then this. This is basically just bergamot, lavender, wood and musk. I clearly get those 4 notes, and nothing else. A quick burst of bergamot, turns into a musky lavender, and a sweet sandalwood dry down. It's not too bad, but I was expecting more, but I only paid 10 bucks for a big bottle, and I've been using it quite a bit to spray my sheets, and it is wonderful. A bit too simple to wear though, and doesn't smell the greatest on my skin.

Then Ecko Green came in the mail today. I really took a risk with this one, as there are no full reviews on the internet from experienced reviewers, ya know.. somebody other than your Average Joe who just says "wow this smells so good!" So this one was like 17 bucks shipped for a 1.7 oz. With notes like "rainforest accord", pineapple, and Hatian vetiver, it sounded very good. Well.. this couldn't be further from the truth. First and foremost.. it smells really cheap, sort of like crayons too, and I get a big alcoholic blast in the opening. It quickly turns into a common mix of various citruses, dominated by bergamot, grapefruit, and lime, some sort of stuffy incense note, and sharp woods, then quickly into a cheap musky base. Longevity is really bad too.. no more than 2-3 hours tops. Wouldn't want it to last any longer though. I'm just gonna use it up quickly for when I want a really short lasting fragrance. Ya know those days when you wanna wear more than one scent, because this one is completely off the skin in 3 hours tops. The bottle is pretty cool though. The fragrance would get a low 2 out of 5 stars to me. To get 1 star, you just have to be repulsive, which I find most fragrances are at least decent smelling. Ecko, more like Eckno, or Heck no! My first from this house, and likely my last.

What blind buys have you recently made that have been disappointments? Please share
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Default Re: Recent Blind Buy Disappointments?

Black puredistance immediatly re sold !

Not a buy but a gift from someone - Neroli Portofino - gave it away immediately.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Habit Rouge EDP - I get very bad projection and the fragrance seems to dense and cluttered.

The Body Shop 'White Musk' for men

Got this for free fortunately together with some other frags I bought from someone!
    Very nice clean smell............for 15 mins.......... after wich it's so close to the skin that it's barely noticable. Will use it for spraying on pillow or clothes.
    Last edited by Slayerized; 15th April 2014 at 10:34 AM.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

After keeping away from JPG for ... the bottles... for so long, I decided to give a chance to Kokorico, I couldn't find LIDGE and was like craving. It is more a LIDG version, not LIDGE. But then, looking for something with neroli/orrange blosson I went for Fleur du Male. LT says everything in it remindds bathroom rituals, ... not mine ... and I am not sure if it's really a cheap smell or it's just prejudice of mine ?

Purchased a cheapie called Oudy Woody. One spray, and it was thrown away instantly.

Might be shocking to some, but I was not too happy with:

Bentley for men intense
    Sahara Noir

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not a buy but a gift from someone - Neroli Portofino - gave it away immediately.
    I didn't like this one either, but I just got a sample...

I'm still on the fence about Oud Shamash, but then if I don't smell it for a while I really get a craving for it, and that's usually a good sign. It's definitely not a boring scent or anything. But it wasn't an immediate like as I had hoped.

I remember trying the Ecko scent you mentioned in the mall a couple years back. I didn't like it at all--smelled really cheap.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 15th April 2014 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Might be shocking to some, but I was not too happy with:

Bentley for men intense
    Sahara Noir
    Actually I am a bit shocked/ surprised -- what were you expecting from them?

To the OP -- I am not sure how spending 17 bucks equates to taking a 'big risk' but it's all relative I suppose

Habit Rouge EdT and Eau Sauvage.
    They were total disasters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Penhaligon's Juniper Sling

Its just really boring and has the longevity of a fruit fly.

Most of mine have been positive purchases, but I a have a few that aren't getting much attention from me.

Body Shop White Musk for Men: This is not a terrible scent, but it's not what I expected from something labeled "White Musk". It's more lavender and fougere like, than musk. Not very complex and very safe. I want my musks to be edgy-er.

Jovan Black Musk for Men: Again, lavender...but this one is more fruity, like something grape flavored perhaps. Nothing really groundbreaking.

Jovan Intense Oud: Jovan just had to jump onto the oud bandwagon, and I just had to go along for the ride. I kinda like the opening, although the oud is clearly synthetic, as well as the rose... and the it's the rose that I have a problem with. I must not like rose as much as I thought, but it does soften and becomes much more wearable. The drydown is very arid, with that fuzzy Jovan base that can be detected in so many of their scents. I'll still wear it, occasionally, but I think it makes better for a room spray.

Definitely Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, turned right around and sold it....pretty surprised since I highly enjoy the rest of the line.

Bentley for Men Intense.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

To the OP -- I am not sure how spending 17 bucks equates to taking a 'big risk' but it's all relative I suppose
    It all adds up.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevolution73 View Post
    Most of mine have been positive purchases, but I a have a few that aren't getting much attention from me.

Body Shop White Musk for Men: This is not a terrible scent, but it's not what I expected from something labeled "White Musk". It's more lavender and fougere like, than musk. Not very complex and very safe. I want my musks to be edgy-er.

Jovan Black Musk for Men: Again, lavender...but this one is more fruity, like something grape flavored perhaps. Nothing really groundbreaking.

Jovan Intense Oud: Jovan just had to jump onto the oud bandwagon, and I just had to go along for the ride. I kinda like the opening, although the oud is clearly synthetic, as well as the rose... and the it's the rose that I have a problem with. I must not like rose as much as I thought, but it does soften and becomes much more wearable. The drydown is very arid, with that fuzzy Jovan base that can be detected in so many of their scents. I'll still wear it, occasionally, but I think it makes better for a room spray.
    That's crazy, I didn't even know they made an oud, oh it must be a nightmare from Jovan!
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

As far as Ecko scents go, yeah, I wasn't impressed with the green, but I own & actually kind of like the original Mark Ecko fragrance. It's a very clean, soapy scent with some incense in the drydown. It reminds me of Ivory soap.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    As far as Ecko scents go, yeah, I wasn't impressed with the green, but I own & actually kind of like the original Mark Ecko fragrance. It's a very clean, soapy scent with some incense in the drydown. It reminds me of Ivory soap.
    That doesn't sound too bad. Is it the one in the green cylinder bottle, or the same as Ecko Green but in silver?
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Yatagan

Last full bottle disappointment was Joop Nightflight. Other than that, I've only gotten a few 1 ml samples (like Bvlgari Aqva, Encre Noire, and AdG Essenza) that just didn't excite me.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

My first wearing of vintage Sandalwood for Men by Elizabether Arden revealed a slight camphorous quality, probably from the patchouli note, that I'm not a fan of, and I had hoped the sandalwood note would be stronger, but perhaps I'll get a different impression on the second wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    That doesn't sound too bad. Is it the one in the green cylinder bottle, or the same as Ecko Green but in silver?
    Yeah, it's the clear & silver triangle shaped bottle. Granted, it's not a masterpiece or anything, but for a cheap "clean/soapy" type scent, it's not that bad. It lists opening notes of citrus & licorice in addition to the ozone, musk & incense, but I basically get mostly just that soapy/clean ozone, incense & white musk accord for duration. It's my favorite out of the Ecko scents I've tried. I also thought the orange based one (Unlimited, I believe) was ok too, but really short lived. I also believe there are two green bottles. The one I've tried is the circular shaped bottle that featured spearmint/apple notes. Top notes were ok on it, but the base was really generic.

Born Wild by Ed Hardy - I really like Luck & Love (which I blind bought 1.7 for $4.99 = best blind buy ever). I hate hate hate the scent of Born Wild -- just so sickeningly sweet and weird smelling -- like intense but less powdery and more acidic pink bubblegum.

On the other hand, my 10 or so recent blind buys have otherwise been splendid.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Bentley for Men Intense.
    I am beginning to come to that same realization.

Actually, speaking of Ecko, I blind bought the 4 bottle 0.5 oz sampler with original, blue, green (unltd), and orange (unltd The Exhibit). Of the 4, I only liked blue but ended up selling them all. Wouldn't really call it a failed blind buy, but I wouldn't buy again since I have better things in a similar vein. I recently saw a 3.4 oz bottle of green on sale for 6.99 that I passed up.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Yeah, it's the clear & silver triangle shaped bottle. Granted, it's not a masterpiece or anything, but for a cheap "clean/soapy" type scent, it's not that bad. It lists opening notes of citrus & licorice in addition to the ozone, musk & incense, but I basically get mostly just that soapy/clean ozone, incense & white musk accord for duration. It's my favorite out of the Ecko scents I've tried. I also thought the orange based one (Unlimited, I believe) was ok too, but really short lived. I also believe there are two green bottles. The one I've tried is the circular shaped bottle that featured spearmint/apple notes. Top notes were ok on it, but the base was really generic.
    Sounds nice. Lately I've been on a kick for soapy/clean scents, so I may just look into it. I don't expect too much from fragrances like these, that's why the low price tag.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Forgot to mention Cerruti PH....man this stuff is just so boring and generic, seriously disappointed! However the bottle of Cerruti image harmony I picked up more than made up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My first uneducated thought was that it smelled like a bottle or suntan lotion. Still think that it does at first whiff

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Bentley for Men Intense.
    I can see that happening.

Off topic though: This one turned out to be a big compliment getter for me.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I abandoned blind buys a while ago. They're an empty frivolous pursuit.

Ever since I became more dedicated to saving money and being careful in how I spend it, I find spending even $20-30 on a "cheapie".

I always said I could just sell my blind buys, but with shipping fees and the logistics and the depreciation of value for being used, I'd be lucky to get more than half of what I paid.

I'll spend $200 on a fragrance that I really love, but won't gamble away $20 on a crap blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

Surprised that there are a few more voicing a similar opinion on the Bentley???

It's a very good parfum, but I feel it got overblown here & on fragrantica...

Surprised that there are a few more voicing a similar opinion on the Bentley???

It's a very good parfum, but I feel it got overblown here & on fragrantica...
    'Twas only a matter of time. I call this the third law of fragrance appreciation. 'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    'Twas only a matter of time. I call this the third law of fragrance appreciation. 'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction'.
    Lol Marais - like your disclaimer!!!

I'm not thrashing either of the parfums, I felt both are being anointed as great, when I felt them good to very good. Again it's just my opinion... I can'tsing along tthat it's great when I don't find them to be so...

Lol Marais - like your disclaimer!!!

I'm not thrashing either of the parfums, I felt both are being anointed as great, when I felt them good to very good. Again it's just my opinion... I can'tsing along tthat it's great when I don't find them to be so...
    It's all good. The first law states that the hype train continues at a constant velocity until acted upon by a contrary opinion. Bentley had it coming.

I haven't had a bad blind buy in a long time. I almost had one recently though. I was looking to blind buy Kinski and a generous Basenoter gave me a sample of it. It doesn't smell bad it just is kind of boring to me and doesn't really have a wow factor.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Joop homme wild
    It's nice but doesn't last as long as i'd hoped.

Joop Jump & Montblanc Individuel...both have very synthetic smell even though they have quite good reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CH Men Sport
    Giorgio Valenti Rose Noir...sold them both
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

For a laugh, blind bought Kanon Agarwood ($9). Promptly returned.

Have had very good luck with some blind buys lately, so I can't fault them. I enjoy the excitement of it and since they're returnable it's really not much of a gamble.

I've been wearing this Ecko Green quite a bit lately, actually used close to 1/3 of the 1.7 oz bottle. It's actually a quite nice scent. A bit generic, but nice. I still don't get most of the notes listed. I pick up on a lot of incense and woodsy notes, as they meet some sort of pineapple, or maybe apple mixed with another note. Still not as bad as I thought it was, I actually created a fragrance using mostly apple, teak wood, some citruses and it came out smelling quite similar to this, it just has this "home made" vibe to me. The main drawback on this one is longevity, it's very bad, no more than 2 hours.

On the other hand, Musk Wood by Avon, this has turned into my go to room spray. Smells great in the air, really. I've used close to half of the 3.4 oz bottle of this. mostly spraying in the air. It's not bad on skin either, but seems to make people cough around me. I do the normal 3 spray application, I may have to lighten it up to 1 spray with this if I wanna wear it. It's actually a comforting fragrance. Makes you think "where have I smelled this before".

These 2 also layer nicely together. I'm not really one for layering, but this combination works well.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by AreaMan View Post
    For a laugh, blind bought Kanon Agarwood ($9). Promptly returned.

Have had very good luck with some blind buys lately, so I can't fault them. I enjoy the excitement of it and since they're returnable it's really not much of a gamble.
    Is it that bad? Does it smell like oud at all?
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana.

Was extremely pleased to find a new/sealed bottle, well after it had been discontinued. However, in spite of this being one of my favourite houses, I find this stuff utterly foul! Admittedly it does improve given time, but I just cannot get past the opening, which last a good hour or more on me.

Utterly revolting, I'm very sorry to say.

Costume National 21.
    There are a lot of positive reviews on this one but I am only getting a dusty note and a weak amber smell. It is also completely linear to my nose. It might grow on me but at the moment I am not impressed. It has got excellent longevity though.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana.

Was extremely pleased to find a new/sealed bottle, well after it had been discontinued. However, in spite of this being one of my favourite houses, I find this stuff utterly foul! Admittedly it does improve given time, but I just cannot get past the opening, which last a good hour or more on me.

Utterly revolting, I'm very sorry to say.
    I actually did not like this one either. Nevertheless, it's a pretty clean smell and weirdly enough the people around me like it... A lot.. :S

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    My niche and designer decant thread (Atelier, Frapin, Creed, Christian Lacroix, Ferre etc): http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....9f250dfc84af37

Wasn't recently but I was overall disappointed in bentley intense. Liked it at first but the more I wore it the less I liked it. And not one person I wore it around liked it either. Promptly sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of AWESOME

Not a buy, but trade. Zegna Indonesian Oud...gross stuff.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Quote Originally Posted by JJMAN View Post
    Wasn't recently but I was overall disappointed in bentley intense. Liked it at first but the more I wore it the less I liked it. And not one person I wore it around liked it either. Promptly sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of AWESOME
    Glad I was able to get a sample of this from someone. You're right, it's extremely overrated. It has like this strange plasticy note in there as it opens up, starts to become really nutty smelling, and dries down until your typical creamy amber. I don't think it's horrible, but it's definitley nothing above average.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

L'Eau Bleu d'Issey Pour Homme. It just doesn't turn my crank

Guerlain L'Homme Intense. It just didn't evoke an emotion in me so it had to go.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dior Homme Intense. Supremely feminine, soft, etc.

Kanon Norwegian Wood

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Last disappointing blind buy was Creed Aventus a couple of years back. Sold it off after 2 weeks. It didn't work out.

Bruckner Aoud 1. It smells like hairspray to me, and my partner really disliked it as well.

Basenotes Plus

Default Recent Blind Buy Disappointments?

Frank No.2

Totally disappointed in this one. High marks from a few friends on basenotes and fragrantica, so I bought it blind. It's very synthetic, almost like some cheap shampoo vibe coming from it. The plum notes come out after a few minutes, but they are sooooooo weak and watered down that the fragrance just doesn't redeem itself. It feels like someone took a good fragrance and watered it down 3 times and run it through an old shampoo bottle to get that overall crappy, synthetic, grocery store shampoo feel (the kind from the bottom shelf, not even something semi-decent). Non-existing silage and pretty short longevity only make matters worse.

If you want this same plum note, but done 100 times better, stronger, clean and very natural smelling - get John Varvatos (the original, not any of the flankers). It's what Frank No.2 SHOULD have been, if not better (considering its price, 2X higher than John Varvatos).

I have to go wash my arm, I can't stand this cheap smell of mediocre synthetic mess. I gave it three tries just to make sure I was getting it right, but this is it. It's going on the chopping block (for sale), perhaps someone who appreciates cheap synthetic smells will like it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hasn't happened yet, but this is in anticipation. Bought Bentley Azure because I love Intense so much. Of course NOW I see a few, not so great reviews. Maybe I'll be surprised.....
    Last edited by Hyde65; 20th May 2014 at 12:31 AM.

Dior Ambre Nuit

Still trying to figure out how this stuff is considered unisex.

Just a mild disappointment with Loud for Him, since I was expecting much and the cost was low, though I was pleasantly surprised with Cadillac Coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Bruckner Aoud 1. It smells like hairspray to me, and my partner really disliked it as well.
    +1 for me also. Have my 20ml decant for sale :/