Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane

21 42.00%
  • YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme

29 58.00%

Default Fragrance Battle of the Day (4/15/14) Round 2: Pure Havane vs Rive Gauche Pour Homme

rubber or tin? Which one do you prefer?

Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane
    vs
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Gym scent of week: A*Men Pure Havane

My gym hates me

Default Re: Fragrance Battle of the Day (4/15/14) Round 2: Pure Havane vs Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Fragrance Battle of the Day (4/15/14) Round 2: Pure Havane vs Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Rive Gauche Pour Homme in the tin for me. I really do like the Mugler, but nowhere near as much as I love RGPH.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Serge Lutens Cuir mauresque
    Carbone de Balmain
    L'Essence de Cerruti
    Zino Davidoff
    Essenza de Zegna
    Mugler Cologne
    Kouros Tattoo
    Insense' Givenchy
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extreme

I like both, but the edge goes to YSL in a tin.

Pure Havane.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Blog Entries

I have both. I like Rive Gauche (tin can), but I love A*Men Pure Havane.

Rive Gauche(tin can)!

Vintage Rive Gauche.

Basenotes Junkie

Oh, good one. Pure Havane for me, over vintage Rive Gauche. It's a case of "love" over "like".

Pure Havane

Basenotes Plus

Pure Havane

Vintage (tin can) Rive Gauche for me.

Though choice, because I simply adore both. Pure Havane by an insignificant difference, only because, unlike with Rive Gauche, it has quite a few more unexplored, uncharted complexities to discover (by me) in terms of its notes and their blending.

YsL RG✔️
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

This is a tough choice. I like both equally, but I picked RG because I find it to be more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Vintage Rive Gauche.
    Same here.

Rive Gauche easily for me.

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    rubber or tin? Which one do you prefer?
    This is a poll comparing the tin canister for Rive Gauche with Pure Havane's rubber bottle? Yikes. Uhm. You might want to actually smell them. Not the bottle or the canister. I'm talking about the perfume. These two aren't comparable.

Rive Gauche: a modern take on old school barbershop.
    Pure Havane: a cherry tobacco A*Men flanker.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

YSL RG for me!!!

A*Men Pure Havane

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    This is a poll comparing the tin canister for Rive Gauche with Pure Havane's rubber bottle? Yikes. Uhm. You might want to actually smell them. Not the bottle or the canister. I'm talking about the perfume. These two aren't comparable.

Rive Gauche: a modern take on old school barbershop.
    Pure Havane: a cherry tobacco A*Men flanker.
    I'm with you man. These threads should be locked at the end of each day, just as the Scent of the Day threads are. That would, at the very least, keep the first forum page clear of additional spam.

This is a really tough one for me. I think Pure Havane has a great tobacco note, but it's not a fragrance I would wear.

Rive Gauche is a very good fragrance, perfectly wearable, but the anise note hurts it in my opinion.

PH for quality. RG for practical use. Overall, RG wins

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    I'm with you man. These threads should be locked at the end of each day, just as the Scent of the Day threads are. That would, at the very least, keep the first forum page clear of additional spam.
    Yup. This is a multi-month-long daily spam fest, and we all know what the ending will be. This is basically 2+ months of Aventus trolling.

And you've been trolling on these threads for awhile now?

Can't be compared you say?
    (spray one on my right wrist and spray the other on my left wrist)
    Me: "Baby, which one smells better?"
    Babe: "Oh, I like this one better"

See, it's not rocket science.

On topic: Pure Havene shouldn't be losing to Rive Gauche
    Last edited by anewtypedude; 15th April 2014 at 08:45 PM.

My gym hates me

Can't be compared you say?
    (spray one on my right wrist and spray the other on my left wrist)
    Me: "Baby, which one smells better?"
    Babe: "Oh, I like this one better"

See, it's not rocket science.
    Wow. I guess that explains why you paired up things like Black Oud vs D&G Pour Homme. The idea that these are all the same is beginner stuff.

Each of these scents serves a different purpose.

Yup. This is a multi-month-long daily spam fest, and we all know what the ending will be. This is basically 2+ months of Aventus trolling.
    It's a shame that when you mute someone, the posts they've stated still show up on the main forum page. It would make BN much more tolerable while this useless spam continues.

it's a shame that when you mute someone, the posts they've stated still show up on the main forum page. It would make bn much more tolerable while this useless spam continues.
    this.

It's a shame that when you mute someone, the posts they've stated still show up on the main forum page. It would make BN much more tolerable while this useless spam continues.
    Thank you for your opinion on these threads. Now Pure Havene or Rive Gauche?

My gym hates me

Thank you for your opinion on these threads. Now Pure Havene or Rive Gauche?
    It needs context. Even a beginner should understand that.

Going to a formal event: Rive Gauche.
    Going to a club or bar: Pure Havane.

Black tie: Rive Gauche.
    Just a blazer: Pure Havane.

Spring dressy: Rive Gauche.
    Fall casual: Pure Havane.

Comparing the two without context is silly. That's why these belong in the beginner forum, though as I said, even a beginner should understand he or she would prefer one or the other based on when and where it's being worn.

Yslrgtc

It needs context. Even a beginner should understand that.

Going to a formal event: Rive Gauche.
    Going to a club or bar: Pure Havane.

Black tie: Rive Gauche.
    Just a blazer: Pure Havane.

Spring dressy: Rive Gauche.
    Fall casual: Pure Havane.

Comparing the two without context is silly. That's why these belong in the beginner forum, though as I said, even a beginner should understand he or she would prefer one or the other based on when and where it's being worn.
    If my babe can tell from me spraying the juice on my wrists, so can everyone else. She's not even that bright of a person.

Just chill.

My gym hates me

Basenotes Plus

If my babe can tell from me spraying the juice on my wrists, so can everyone else. She's not even that bright of a person.
    Nice way to speak about your babe.

Like I said, not understanding the differences between such vastly different scents is beginner stuff. I'm not criticizing you for being a beginner. We all have to start somewhere. But you're posting several months worth of these beginner polls without context in the wrong forum. You said you're intentionally posting them in the wrong forum because you'll get more views here, which means they're spam. The only discussions that ever happen in your polls are about how bad the polls are.

You think too much. There are these discussions because YOU, L`Homme Blanc Individuel, are the one who started them in every one of these threads.

Just chill.
    Last edited by anewtypedude; 15th April 2014 at 09:37 PM.

My gym hates me

Basenotes Plus

You think too much. There are these discussions because YOU are the one who started them in every one of these threads.

Just chill.
    That's the whole idea behind Male Fragrance Discussion. Pretty clear the meaning of the forum title . . . Discussion.

I agree with L'Homme Blanc Individuel, There is absolutely no discussion going on with these threads you start everyday. Heck, you don't even discuss any of the fragrances you poll.

I don't get Pure Havane. I get more cherry & rubber than cigar. To me, the opening smells like chloraseptic spray. The dry down is much better like most AMen fragrances, but I can't get the past the opening of PH.

Rive Gauche is shaving cream in a can... in a can. Love it.

Feel free to discuss the merits of Pure Havane versus the merits of Rive Gauche.

My gym hates me

For those that like Pure Havane you owe it to yourself to try Samba Skin. Very similar and extremely affordable. Figured I'd at least offer something of value to these dumbass polls.

Thank you.
    We can talk about the discussion.
    Or you can talk about the discussion of the discussion, then I will talk about the discussion of the discussion of the discussion

How about just the discussion: Pure Havane vs Rive Gauche.

My gym hates me

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    That's the whole idea behind Male Fragrance Discussion. Pretty clear the meaning of the forum title . . . Discussion.

I agree with L'Homme Blanc Individuel, There is absolutely no discussion going on with these threads you start everyday. Heck, you don't even discuss any of the fragrances you poll.
    Not only is there no discussion, but the polls themselves show no understanding whatsoever of the fragrances chosen, or even any understanding of fragrances in general. And the polls come day after day after day. There's nothing wrong with polls, but there should be a reason for the poll. Don't just spam the board. Have a reason for asking about the fragrances in question.

Which do you prefer: Oregano or Cardamom? The question makes no sense without context. What kind of meal are you making? Italian? You'll prefer oregano. Thai? You'll prefer cardamom. Each is great, and each has a different use.

Which do you prefer: Pure Havane or Rive Gauche? The question makes no sense without context. When and where are you wearing it? Not understanding that means you're in the wrong forum, which is fine. But instead of spamming the wrong forum day after day after day, try asking questions so you can learn. We all have to start somewhere, and this forum is a great place to learn.

Like I said, not understanding the differences between such vastly different scents is beginner stuff. I'm not criticizing you for being a beginner. We all have to start somewhere. But you're posting several months worth of these beginner polls without context in the wrong forum. You said you're intentionally posting them in the wrong forum because you'll get more views here, which means they're spam. The only discussions that ever happen in your polls are about how bad the polls are.
    This.

Pure Havane.

Rive Gauche pour Homme is WONDERFUL.

I really enjoy these daily battle threads. I hope they don't go away.

I like comparing and contrasting fragrances and each battle presents a new angle at which I have to judge a fragrance.

Personally disagree.

We can definitely discuss context, and I often do when I comment on these threads. A poll is good for an overall assessment but it's not the end all be all.

I just find it troubling if we cull the most accessible discussions to the Beginners forum. I worry that the MFD forum might just be too arcane for it's own good and it might devolve into an uber-niche echo chamber.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme for me....
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Pure Havane
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

YSL Rive Gauche pour homme

On topic: Pure Havene shouldn't be losing to Rive Gauche
    Of course it should.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I just find it troubling if we cull the most accessible discussions to the Beginners forum. I worry that the MFD forum might just be too arcane for it's own good and it might devolve into an uber-niche echo chamber.
    I agree. But look at the word you just used: discussions. There have been over a month of these polls with probably another month to go, assuming the OP doesn't launch into yet another multi-month-long series of so-called battles after this one ends in May, and not a single one of his spam polls has been a discussion about fragrances.

Polls are fine. Beginner polls are fine, even when posted in the wrong forum. It happens. But there should be a reason for asking the question.

Here's how easy it is for a beginner to take a pair of scents that he doesn't understand and turn it into a discussion. It's literally this easy:

Which do you prefer for work? Pure Havane or Rive Gauche?
    Or, how about: Which do you prefer for a winter wedding? Pure Havane or Rive Gauche?
    Or how about: Which do you prefer for clubbing in summer? Pure Havane or Rive Gauche?
    Or maybe: Which do you prefer for a first date? It'll probably be drinks and a movie: Pure Havane or Rive Gauche?

Context.

There's nothing wrong with being a beginner. But in my opinion, there is something wrong with coming to a fragrance forum day after day after day with no interest in understanding that forum and refusing to post anything with context relevant to the forum.

Rive Gauche vs an A*Men flanker?

Yes, people who aren't into fragrances probably go to the mall and pick one scent they think "smells better" and that's all they wear. But this isn't the beginner forum. And certainly, 60+ days of that question, even in the beginner forum, would grow old. But in the Male Fragrances Discussion Forum, I think it's fair to expect at least a bit more knowledge than "Black Oud vs. D&G Pour Homme?" Again, if it were a once in a while thing, that'd be different. But day after day after day.

Enough already.

And last but not least, these spam polls load the search function here with garbage. Basenotes isn't just a bunch of threads. It's a database. And each reply in each thread is stored as a unique entry in the database. One poster is causing a barrage of spam search results every single day.

Let's say you're searching for Bois du Portugal. If you search threads, you'll get a bunch of threads where the scent you're looking for might have only been mentioned once on one of many pages in a thread. At times like that, it makes more sense to search posts instead of threads. But if you do, you'll get 36 bogus search results from a thread comparing Bois du Portugal to FAHRENHEIT! And another 27 comparing it to Acqua di Gio. And in none of those 63 results will you get any discussion about either scent. Why not? ...because the OP isn't starting discussions. He'd doing spam polls. And he's turning search into a worthless mess.

The OP could have lined all of his scents into one big poll instead of dragging this out for months. It would have been a meaningless but fun poll. Instead, it's months of daily spam.

You seem to take this quite personally, L`Homme. Don't try force your will on my threads, bro.

Stop antagonizing and just chill. You need to chill.

My gym hates me