Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Anyone else almost NEVER receive compliments?

I found with compliments you have to give them to receive them. In the workplace people have become scared to compliment something, anything, for fear of being dragged to HR about saying something inappropriate. Once someone in the group is confident enough to start complimenting others, it slowly becomes acceptable and people feel comfortable with it again.
    Something something....something....
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

I get more compliments on the artsy t-shirts I wear, than with any fragrance I might be wearing.

Not often. The lady that used to cut my hair would discuss them with me, as she knew I was trying new fragrances. I quickly bought a bottle when there was one that she really liked, my girlfriend liked, and I also rather enjoyed. I wear that the most often. I think the one that meant the most to me was when my girlfriend commented that one of her coworkers told her that I always smell great. I've worked with that lady a few times and we have been to a few of her parties, but I was shocked that she had really noticed my scents.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

I agree with the basic sentiment. I think it's the person (fragrance wearer) more than the scent which determines what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    .... at a more general level, sociable, friendly people are more likely to get compliments. Good looking people get compliments if they prove to be open and friendly and can handle a compliment.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I get more compliments on the artsy t-shirts I wear, than with any fragrance I might be wearing.
    I'm more likely to get complements on other stuff than on a particular fragrance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Coincidentally, I had to make an unplanned run to Target tonight and got complimented on HdP 1740 of all things, and by a couple of young women (either HS seniors or college girls). I had done all my gardening and took a shower to relax for the evening. Typically, that's when I love to overspray for my own enjoyment...not expecting to go out again. It'll be a while before the next one I'm sure.

So, I get compliments technically, but it's almost always from other men asking what I'm wearing. They very rarely tell me I smell good (something about that engrained masculinity keeps men from complimenting other men) but I've had more than one guy jot down what I was wearing when I told them. Any women who compliment me are usually older even though I'm in my early 30s.
    Current Rotation
    *Mont Blanc Explorer
    *Polo Ultra Blue
    *Mancera Cedrat Boise
    *Parfums de Marly Pegasus
    *Mancera Wild Fruits
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Chanel Allure Homme Sport eau extreme

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Also I suffer from RBF (Resting Bitch Face), am pretty introverted, and only spray under my clothes, so nothing there exactly invites compliments.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I found with compliments you have to give them to receive them. In the workplace people have become scared to compliment something, anything, for fear of being dragged to HR about saying something inappropriate. Once someone in the group is confident enough to start complimenting others, it slowly becomes acceptable and people feel comfortable with it again.
    Isn't that sad, what this society has come to? I had a lady at work tell me "I really like your tie! I hope that's ok with you that I say that" ...why on earth wouldn't that be ok?? People are so afraid to "offend" someone that they don't even compliment people anymore.

I live in Britain.

You’d be hard pushed for someone to even acknowledge you here, let alone compliment you.

We are a fairly repressed lot...
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    In the workplace people have become scared to compliment something, anything, for fear of being dragged to HR about saying something inappropriate.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by ek5.56 View Post
    Isn't that sad, what this society has come to? I had a lady at work tell me "I really like your tie! I hope that's ok with you that I say that" ...why on earth wouldn't that be ok?? People are so afraid to "offend" someone that they don't even compliment people anymore.
    Plus this.

I think workplace compliments are gone the way of the dodo in the USA. People are too afraid to say anything, even if it's nice.

Men will generally not compliment men, due to the "masculinity thing" here. I remember years ago (before getting into fragrances) complimenting a male co-worker because I wanted to know what he was wearing. Inevitably, I got that look of "You hitting on me bro?" and I never got an answer out of him. I played it off as a joke, but it was the first and last time I ever complimented a guy on his fragrance.

When it comes to me complimenting women, I always fear that they will think I'm hitting on them, when in all actuality, I'm just interested in fragrances and want to be nice. I am guessing it's the same reason for most women not complimenting men. However, my GF has received compliments about me from other women at work. "He always smells nice" types of comments to her, but none directly to me.

100% of all my comments/compliments have came from family members.

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    So who here is in the same boat?
    Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Also I suffer from RBF (Resting Bitch Face), am pretty introverted, and only spray under my clothes, so nothing there exactly invites compliments.
    You and me, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I live in Britain.

You’d be hard pushed for someone to even acknowledge you here, let alone compliment you.

Lol!
    I find rather than compliments, when someone likes your scent, they're more likely to start up a conversation with you. I don't know, compliment is bypassed, conversation is started. A little cloud of scent kinda says "I'm open/approachable "
    Sorta, if you get what I mean 😂
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

My girlfriend NEVER compliments me on what I wear. Every other girl I've ever dated has always commented on my cologne but not this one. I guess she doesn't care. lol
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I live in Britain.

Have to agree with this... Brits are definitely not open so I am not surprised we don't get many compliments from people we don't know.

By way of an example, below is a conversation that a colleague told me he had with a stranger whilst on holiday. I've written it in my own words as it was a long time ago but you get the idea...:

[...]
    Stranger: Where are you from?
    Brit person: Britain/England
    Stranger: And what are people like there?
    Brit person: Very reserved!

...and there ended the conversation.

Contrast this with a time earlier this year whilst I was out of the country on business and eating on my own in the hotel restaurant. The place was full of American tourists. I was approached several times by complete strangers - at the table, in the lift (elevator) to name a few memorable examples - who started a conversation out of nothing. Some even shook my hand and wished me a good evening.
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

I rarely receive compliments on scents that I’m wearing.

I also rarely give compliments, and I’m a “Fragrance Nerd” or whatever you want to call it. Women and/or men might think I’m coming on to them, so I’m more reticent to compliment someone on their fragrance than I would be to compliment them on their car, for example.
    Currently wearing: Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

It seems to me that expectations may be getting set artificially high by reviewers and such. The way they talk when they're on YouTube (especially) makes you think you're going to get 10+ a day if you wear a "compliment monster". In my experience, that's simply not what's going to happen in the real world. You might get 1 or 2, depending on who you interact with. Also, the more you interact with the same people, the less compliments you'll get as they become more and more familiar with the scents you wear. At least that's been my experience.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    It seems to me that expectations may be getting set artificially high by reviewers and such. The way they talk when they're on YouTube (especially) makes you think you're going to get 10+ a day if you wear a "compliment monster". In my experience, that's simply not what's going to happen in the real world. You might get 1 or 2, depending on who you interact with. Also, the more you interact with the same people, the less compliments you'll get as they become more and more familiar with the scents you wear. At least that's been my experience.
    That makes sense. You're also more likely to get compliments if you are as handsome as, say, Jeremy. There are many reasons why a person may not compliment you, even if they like your scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    My girlfriend NEVER compliments me on what I wear. Every other girl I've ever dated has always commented on my cologne but not this one. I guess she doesn't care. lol
    Funny!

I've never been complimented on any frag I've worn. People are more likely to comment on my clothing, especially when it is not the usual black.
    September rotation - time for leather, incense, darkness and smoke : Knize Knize Ten, Etro Gomma, Caron Yatagan, Gucci Guilty Absolute, Penhaligon's Elixir, CdG Avignon, Robert Piguet Casbah, Etro Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noire, and Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo.

Today received a compliment from a manager today, literally took her breath away haha - Christian Dior Dior Sauvage EDT 3 sprays on my shirt a little below the neck line.
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.

Basenotes Junkie

I live in Sweden, with most reserved people in the world.
    So only when people got tipsy\drunk, they'll open up and will tell compliments, sometimes even crossing the line

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Haha...I’m not exactly approachable myself and very introverted.