Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anyone else almost NEVER receive compliments?

To contrast the thread about compliments received...

I have to say in the 4 years or so since I got into this hobby, I've almost never received compliments on my frags. Let me say, this does NOT BOTHER ME in the slightest. A lot of people wear frags just for themselves which is fine, and I am in that category.

But it would be nice to receive compliments every now and then. It seems BN is riddled with stories from those receiving compliments, but I know there are a lot out there like myself, who will never be commented on.

I can recall two instances when someone commented on my frag - one time with Tobacco Vanille and the other with Aventus, and both times I'd sprayed 6 (count em - SIX) times. Obviously this seems like overkill (especially with TV), but I normally spray 3-4 with any frag and was simply conducting a little experiment really to see. Mind you people had vehemently complimented me, so I'm sure I wasn't offending. Plus they were good mates and would tell me if I stunk.

So who here is in the same boat? Can you remember the odd instance you did receive a compliment?

Default Re: Anyone else almost NEVER receive compliments?

Are you in a lot of situations where you're around a lot of people? I mean, there's only been a few times where a stranger will stop me in the street or at the store and compliment/ask what I'm wearing... but when I go out to the bars/clubs, I usually get multiple compliments from strangers every time, especially talking to them up close.
    Last edited by mjones602; 18th April 2014 at 02:08 AM.

Yeah I mean naturally I get out and about, whether it be bars or just hanging at a friends place. I really don't expect to ever receive a compliment from a stranger, but based on probabilities alone I would have thought to have more people even just comment on the fact I'm wearing perfume.

Interestingly I showed a mate some of collection, and he said he'd never noticed me wearing fragrance, and I've probably see him every week/fortnight for the past couple years.

There is a good chance my skin just eats up the scent. But I definitely would rather go unnoticed than be old mate 30 sprays cologne guy from that other thread.

It's very rare for me...usually it's only my GF and one woman at work on the rare occasion it does happen.(once in a great while one of my buddies also)

Every time I've been to bars or clubs, I don't think I've ever been complimented once by a stranger. Only one time at a outdoor beer fest a couple years back did I have a woman(who was with her BF)tell me I smelled AMAZING and why didn't her BF smell like that while punching his arm.lol(Leau D'Issey) And once I got talked into going to a "gentleman's club" with a bunch of couples about 4yrs ago and had a nice young lady walk past me, stop in her tracks and rush back to our table asking "OMG, WHO smells so good" while sniffing each of us. She thought it was one of our GF's at first...but once she made her way to me, she was going crazy and had to know what it was.(1 Million, not long after it got released in the US)

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Almost never. I've had people notice that I'm wearing something, but it wasn't exactly a compliment.
    Then again, I usually only apply under clothing, so it doesn't project much.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Thanks for the story, bigbz! Stigma aside, Leau D'Issey and 1 Million do seem to have good mass appeal.

The obvious assertion could be that the type of frag would dictate results. However I should iterate that I've worn the full range from mainstream designer stuff to more unique niche offerings.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I think it is really down to the type of people one associates with. Most of my friends are pretty reserved, but I know circles of people who will compliment one another on clothing, scent, anything, just as part of the conversation. Most of my compliments have been from people who are in to me.

I have also heard the theory that complimenting the scent is sometimes actually a polite way of saying that your scent is yelling at me and you obviously want to be noticed.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Dependent

I get a personal compliment rarely but ppl will talk about me in my presence so I'll take it. As long as its some thing positive about what I'm wearing I'll count it
    Seasonal rotation:

1861 Naxos by Xerjoff
    Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove
    Amber Absolute by Tom Ford
    Royal English Leather by Creed
    Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I have also heard the theory that complimenting the scent is sometimes actually a polite way of saying that your scent is yelling at me and you obviously want to be noticed.
    Definitely agree that this may often be the case

I wear my scents very lightly -- typically, if your nose isn't less than a foot away from me, you may not smell it. If I weren't heavily dating the past few years, the only person I would have ever received a compliment from is my son. I haven't received any stranger compliments, except if there's an introduction or parting hug. So I'd be in the same boat as you, if not for this

I've only been complimented a few times in the past year, and I am fairly confident they were legitimate compliments. I was complimented twice with Bleu de Chanel (colleagues- both female and male), twice with Heeley Cardinal (two female colleagues and the female x-ray tech at my orthopedic doctors office), and most recently wile wearing Brooklyn (older female colleague). I've had negative comments with Aventus (numerous) and DHI (because I had over sprayed).
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

Yeah same for me lol. Doesn't bother me because I wear them for myself.

I was complemented a couple days ago on my Escencia Loewe, by a lovely female.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

I get the vast majority of the compliments I've received from dates, and the compliments are either part of the awkward-flirting of the evening (as a prelude to "let's get closer"), or after sex, when we're in bed cuddling. Those perfect moments of silence tend to inspire people to indulge more in their other senses.

Other than dates... my female friends occasionally compliment me, but male friends almost never ever do. It's a silly gender thing. Female friends also compliment the way I dress, but I've never once gotten a compliment on clothes from a guy. Come to think of it, the only time I can think of where a guy complimented my scent it was because his girlfriend sent him over to find out what it was so he could buy it. And his GF was pissed when she found out what it was, because it was a cheapie (she's a snob, and she knows I wear "the good stuff," which is non-fumehead-speak for niche).
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Aqua Celestia
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Rose 31
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Compliments come my way few and far between. It has been that way for the almost 40 years I have been interested in fragrances. I am used to it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I work in the ICU so I am constantly around female nurses. Believe it or not, I've actually had to take a break from wearing Aventus from the amount of compliments I get (it kinda got annoying). I have a relationship with one of the nurses and she gets livid whenever I wear Aventus to work because the other nurses are constantly "sniffing" my neck to the point where it seems as if they get close enough and get a whiff and kiss my neck. Doubt me or don't believe but its true. For some reason, women LOVE Aventus.

Very rarely I receive compliments. And I'm having hard time believing in stories like "wow, just wore Aventus for the first time and received 57 compliments in 3 hours!". Just doesn't happen in my world.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    I've had negative comments with Aventus (numerous)
    I usually call "negative compliments" insults! Anyway, I've only gotten negative compliments about Aventus also, both from family (I can't imagine a stranger negative complimenting me)

Lol, completely agree with that. Most of my scents are close to skin or you can barely feel a slight sillage if I move my arm or I pass in front of you.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Dependent

One can easily become a bit "jealous", when checking out the Compliments-thread, because why do some people get tons of compliments, while others rarely get one? First of all, check out the little flag under the user's name. There are big cutural differences, when it comes to giving compliments, and it seems that people in North America, are a lot more generous with the compliments, whereas in Denmark for example, people would perhaps find it a bit odd/freaky to compliment complete strangers And looks play an important part as well, because you could be wearing the perfect amount, of the most beautiful scent in the world, but if you look like a thalidomide baby, don't expect to receive one. Body language and behavior have something to say as well. If you seem aggressive or timid, people might not naturally want to contact you, buy if tou are a relaxed, "open" and smiling, they would probably be more likely, to give you a compliment. There are so many psychological and cultural factors, that all play their part, when it comes to compliments on fragrance.
    Me, I rarely get them nowadays, and they almost always come from friends or family, as I have put my (not seal-)clubbing days behind me, but they are still nice to get though, and living in Denmark, I cannot really expect more anyway

Edit:
    Good point, and one I have often thought about myself. I often feel a bit self concious after a compliment, and wonder if perhaps I gave it too many sprays.
    Last edited by Norstr°m; 18th April 2014 at 08:04 AM.
    ôTo defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.ö
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

From where I live, it's a very very weird thing for people to complement strangers' smell. So most of the complements/opinions I get are from friends or colleagues who know I'm into fragrances

I only get them if someone is making a pass at me. It's a bit of a pest TBH, and the reason I don't wear Aventus more often. No-one likes a tease.
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Very rarely... It's due to 2 things. This country's culture and secondly my taste in fragrances is leaning to the kind of anti-compliment-getters.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps" (Marcel Rochas)

Basenotes Plus

I get plenty of compliments but the vast majority come from a combination of family, friends, colleagues, and other acquaintances. I have had the occasional one from a complete stranger but the chances still remain relatively small here in the UK. Doesn't bother me either way.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 18th April 2014 at 12:46 PM.

I received lots of compliments from female friends at university, but that is probably because we were at that flirting age! A few compliments from work colleagues over the years but none from strangers. I do think it depends on which country you are in. The Americans seem to be a lot more open to giving compliments than the British.

I've had a few compliments from my sister.
    Lots from my wife.
    1 from a male friend.
    1 from a student who just said "mmmm, someone smells REALLY nice" at which point another student piped up that it was her; it blatantly wasn't, she stole my compliment

That's it! So, in short no, other than my wife, no compliments regardless of what I wear. I can of course, seek compliments and ask colleagues/friends what they think of the fragrance I'm wearing but that seems too much of a manipulative approach and isn't a 'pure' compliment in my book.

I've stopped even thinking about compliments, main thing is that I can smell the scent throughout the day and enjoy it
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:UK Only:Roja/Creed/ASAQ/Cartier/Agar Aura/Ensar Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Roja Dove Semi Bespoke 14
    Roja Dove Roja (Haute Luxe)
    Kilian Eternal Oud
    Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum
    Roja Dove Great Britain
    Nabeel Spirit of Dubai Baz

I almost never get any compliments on my fragrances. I'm okay with that though. I wear them for me. The last tone I received a compliment was from my step mom about 3 weeks ago. It's cool though because I know I smell the way I want to smell. Although it is nice to have a random person out of the blue say "you smell amazing", it won't make or break my day if they never do.

New Member Highpriestofdarkness's Avatar

Same here daz, if I get a family member of my fiancÚ to smell the frag I have on to see if they like the smell that is it. Never had a random person or friend say anything, also like you does not bother me as I tend to just like them for my own pleasure anyway, if it was a smell everyone around me hated I would still wear it if I liked the smell

I get more hate than compliments from people who thinks guys wearing fragrance is heresy.

When I do get compliments thought, are from dates and people who I know very well. I never get it from coworkers, besides this gay guy.
    I wear fragrance to smell good to everyone, not just myself

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Compliments about any fragrance I am wearing are as scarce as hen's teeth. But, as the OP, I wear fragrances because I like them, not for others.
    One if by land...two if by sea...three if by air....
    8¸2(2X2) = 1, but then 8¸2(2X2) = 16...??