Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Thierry Mugler A*MEN Pure Wood

For what its worth I cant think of any fragrance that ive smelled yet in all these past few years of being into fragrances that really makes me think of coffee automatically. Theres just a thing that I call a "fragrance coffee" its, like its own being lol Its own sort of coffee that ive sadly just come to accept as what coffee is. Also as I said at least from the tester strip I think you could think of pure wood as a pure coffee 2.0 I guess. I deff get the most coffee I get from any Amen since well.. pure coffee. I think the cypress gives the coffee a sorta "fresh" tingle to your nose. And as it dries down I think the woodyness of it makes it seem like a sorta nutmegish coffee. A similar coffee smell thats maybe in bond no 9 new york for all. Again though this is just from a small testing of the strip maybe diff once I try from a actual bottle.

I just got a smelly sample of pure wood in the mail!!! I am without a doubt getting a bottle when it comes out! Its great! its a more vanilla sweeter version of pure malt and pure leather kind of mixed in a woody yet sweet kinda way....I wish I actually had some not just a pull tab to smell the dry down! I might rub the sticky all over me! lol It is without a doubt a fall/winter scent....probably more winter....its 90 degrees out today so it might be too cloying to do that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

How do so many guys on this forum get a free sample of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    How do so many guys on this forum get a free sample of this?
    Interesting question.... hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Interesting question.... hmmmm.....
    Where is my sample?

I received my little promo in the mail today. It wasn't really a "sample" - it was the peel away thing that reveals a wet-wipe type of thing.

Based on a very rudimentary testing, but I think it is nice. Not spectacular. Certainly not unique. Once again, too much along the same lines as the original A*Men and the too-much-like-the-original Pure Leather (with a touch of Pure Malt). I think I like this one more than A*Men, and even a little more than Pure Rubber, but since I already own those, I may pass on this one... But probably not.

Pure Malt and Pure Havane are far enough removed from the original to be worthy flankers. Too bad these last 2 have not.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Hmm...that's a little a disappointing to hear. Was hoping this strayed far enough away from previous releases to have a unique feel to it. I'll still test it and see if it really sings for me, but my expectations have gone down a little.

Basenotes Plus

I think we should wait for actual bottles to be out before passing judgement. Those little cards they send out and give out at shops are absolutely useless. Put it this way, I got one of those cards for versace eros. I peeled it, smelled it and bought a bottle. They got me. Never again will I trust those cards. If you spray eros on a test card or skin it smells nothing like those stupid cards.

Can't get anything out of the paper sample/wipe asides from vanilla. Wish they would have sent an actual sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    I think we should wait for actual bottles to be out before passing judgement. Those little cards they send out and give out at shops are absolutely useless. Put it this way, I got one of those cards for versace eros. I peeled it, smelled it and bought a bottle. They got me. Never again will I trust those cards. If you spray eros on a test card or skin it smells nothing like those stupid cards.
    +1. I wouldn't trust the cards much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Perfume Guy View Post
    Can't get anything out of the paper sample/wipe asides from vanilla. Wish they would have sent an actual sample.
    I agree. Not sure why they're sending out cards instead of actual samples (I guess it's cheaper?). I remember when Pure Shot came out, I sent them an email requesting a sample, they ended up sending me one after a few months. Wonder if they have any samples of Pure Wood.

Question Re: Thierry Mugler A*MEN Pure Wood

Got my sample in the mail today.

Is anyone else getting a B*Men vibe from Pure Wood? I always had problems with B*Men because the sequoia note resembles BO on my skin (Pure Shot also has this note and the same problem on my skin), and coupled with the rhubarb smelled strange to me. For those reasons I never purchased B*Men.

Pure Wood resembles B*Men to me, but in a GOOD way. No sequoia and no rhubarb here, but I still can't shake that I've smelled this before, and B*Men was the first thing that came to mind. I ran upstairs to grab my B*Men sample and sure enough, they are very similar.

Pure Wood is basically everything I liked about B*Men, with everything I didn't like about B*Men removed.

I really like Pure Wood, will definitely be purchasing a full bottle.

EDIT: Having sat on my skin for several hours now, the base is definitely sweeter than the top and heart. In fact, I find the base to somewhat resemble a weaker, subdued version of Bond New Haarlem (minus the syrupy vibe). It smells quite "gourmand" at this point.

Again, this is really good stuff.

Regarding the similarities to Pure Coffee, I can smell a faint coffee note in this, but it's not similar to Pure Coffee to my nose. Pure Coffee's coffee note is sort of acrid, like a stale acidic pot of coffee, with chocolate prominent in the base. Pure Wood's coffee note smells a lot like New Haarlem's coffee note, which is sweet and coupled with cinnamon, vanilla, and woods.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 8th July 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Got my sample in the mail today.

Is anyone else getting a B*Men vibe from Pure Wood? I always had problems with B*Men because the sequoia note resembles BO on my skin (Pure Shot also has this note and the same problem on my skin), and coupled with the rhubarb smelled strange to me. For those reasons I never purchased B*Men.

Pure Wood resembles B*Men to me, but in a GOOD way. No sequoia and no rhubarb here, but I still can't shake that I've smelled this before, and B*Men was the first thing that came to mind. I ran upstairs to grab my B*Men sample and sure enough, they are very similar.

Pure Wood is basically everything I liked about B*Men, with everything I didn't like about B*Men removed.

I really like Pure Wood, will definitely be purchasing a full bottle.

EDIT: Having sat on my skin for several hours now, the base is definitely sweeter than the top and heart. In fact, I find the base to somewhat resemble a weaker, subdued version of Bond New Haarlem (minus the syrupy vibe). It smells quite "gourmand" at this point.

Again, this is really good stuff.

Regarding the similarities to Pure Coffee, I can smell a faint coffee note in this, but it's not similar to Pure Coffee to my nose. Pure Coffee's coffee note is sort of acrid, like a stale acidic pot of coffee, with chocolate prominent in the base. Pure Wood's coffee note smells a lot like New Haarlem's coffee note, which is sweet and coupled with cinnamon, vanilla, and woods.

Is your sample an actual sample or are you using one of the cards?

Is your sample an actual sample or are you using one of the cards?
    A card I received in the mail. Little cotton swab. The swab was soaked with the fragrance and sufficiently covered my inner forearm. 5 or 6 hours later and this fragrance is still going strong. Still smells like a subdued version of New Haarlem (which I own). However the first 30 minutes or so resembled B*Men to me. Either way, I really like Pure Wood.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 9th July 2014 at 05:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Got mine today. Like everyone else, I received the card/envelope, and sealed inside is the little wipe (size of the gauze patch of a band aid). I wiped it off my forearm this afternoon, and I can still detect it when I put my arm to my nose.

It's been a while since the last time I smelled B*Men so I can't really comment on scent comparison. But I detected pencil shavings vibe, some strong woods... the overall scent is thick, and it actually reminded me of Costume National Homme. A few hours later, the sweetness became more up front, similar to the drydown of Gucci Pour Homme I, only sweeter.

Anyway, this is just my initial impression, and YMMV. It would have been nice if Mugler provided two wipes instead of one for second testing.

I would be surprised if Pure Wood smelled anything like Costume National Homme (aka The Clove Bomb!), but I'll have to find out for myself. I have not had much luck evaluating a fragrance based merely on those scented cards. Regardless, I plan to order Pure Wood on the 15th...I know I'll like it, and I'm hoping that I love it. We shall see.

Thanks for the first impressions everyone!!!
    Last edited by riffjim4069; 9th July 2014 at 05:32 AM.

Unexpectedly I got a big thick "Pure Wood" envelope like thing in the mail today with a sample inside. Gladly I wasn't wearing anything yet.. so I wiped it on my hand.

The opening is really nice.. but not entirely unique.. Yes I too get the B*Men vibe, without the rhubarb, while I also get the Pure Malt dry down in the opening of this, as it has this sweet and creamy vibe. Perhaps a maple syrup vibe or a slight immortelle note, although masked with a spicy woodsy note and lots of incense. There's definitley their signature patchouli under this too, but not as much as usual. This opening is stellar.. Mugler did a good job here. This one smells very "niche" in terms of quality and smell. Can't wait to see how it dries down.

My only problem is that I didn't get a super soaked swap like some of the others..just enough to get some on my hand. I can't really tell how it's gonna project, but from the little bit I swapped on my hand.. I am getting minimal projection.

Edit: Been on my skin for about 10 minutes now, and I am getting a heavy dose of either cinnamon or clove, this is mostly dominating it, with some incense behind it. and some sort of sweet note I can't quite make out.. again some type of honey note.. possibly immortelle, because it does have that sandy like smell I get from immortelle.

Edit: So it's been on my skin a good while now.. The interesting top has definitley faded. There's no woods in the dry down for me.. unless I am still in the mid notes.. Right now... I basically just get a sweet, slightly resinous amber note. Very BLAH. Oh so boring.. smelled this a million times, in a million other fragrances. I know this note though.. and I know it lasts long.. so I know this is gonna be on my skin for the next 6-8 hours at least before it's completely gone.

You know the base of 24 Gold, that sweet creamy amber note.. that's what I am getting here. Or a very weakened Amber Absolute. I'd be shocked if amber wasn't a base note here.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 9th July 2014 at 05:18 PM.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Yup.. so here we are.. about 7-8 hours later. I still smell it on my hand. This is nothing but amber pretty much.. maybe some vanilla too. Sort of like Pure Havane's dry down too.

I still agree with everything I said above.. I am pretty firm on that.

Bottom line for me.. nice opening, boring dry down.. I'll try another sample of it in the future too.. and we know those swab samples aren't 100% accurate since the top notes get absorbed into them too much sometimes, at least I've noticed this to be the case personally.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 14th July 2014 at 12:09 AM.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Basenotes Member

I may wait and see how everybody reviews this one after they acquire a full bottle. I have the whole line except Leather (smells too much like the original to justify a buy) and Coffee (Too expensive now for what you get). So I'll wait for the final verdict then decide whether to purchase or not.
    Current Top 5:

1. Tauer LDDM
    2. Jubilation XXV
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Creed Original Santal

Basenotes Plus

Honestly I wish I could get a real sample of this stuff. I am halway to the point of just saying forget it and blind buying it. Pure malt and pure havane got me really into mugler fragrance and now I even love the original amen as well as taste of fragrance. But still pure shot and pure leather really have me questioning anymore blind buys from the company. I think the most scary of what I heard is the B*men comparison. I mean Pure shot smells like b men mixed with ice men and now pure wood smells a little like b*men? This has me thinking they have barrels of old fragrance that never sold and they have a monkey in a lab mixing beakers trying to find what they can make new of something old. IMHO mugler needs to stop hitting ground balls and start swinging for the fences again or my interest is only going to remain for so long.

Basenotes Member

Honestly I wish I could get a real sample of this stuff. I am halway to the point of just saying forget it and blind buying it. Pure malt and pure havane got me really into mugler fragrance and now I even love the original amen as well as taste of fragrance. But still pure shot and pure leather really have me questioning anymore blind buys from the company. I think the most scary of what I heard is the B*men comparison. I mean Pure shot smells like b men mixed with ice men and now pure wood smells a little like b*men? This has me thinking they have barrels of old fragrance that never sold and they have a monkey in a lab mixing beakers trying to find what they can make new of something old. IMHO mugler needs to stop hitting ground balls and start swinging for the fences again or my interest is only going to remain for so long.
    I agree 100%!
    Current Top 5:

1. Tauer LDDM
    2. Jubilation XXV
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Creed Original Santal

To me it doesn't smell much like B*Men.. maybe a little tiny bit on the opening, but again without the rhubarb.

I think this one is gonna start off slow and build up to the cult following of Pure Malt and Pure Havane, just as Pure Havane did. It started off just being "ehh" to many then it became a favorite.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Does anyone know if this is supposed to be exclusive to their website for a certain period of time? I'm hoping it hits mass distribution sooner rather than later, since that will make it easier to sample, and will make it more likely to hit Fragrancenet in a few months.

For sale july 15th online off mugler's website. available in stores september 15th

Received my wipe sample in the mail today. Couldn't pick out any notes, accord, projection, longevity, etc. Not a good way to start Mugler.

Recently got my wipe sample as well. As mentioned earlier, I don't consider it a good way of sampling. My initial impressions from the wipe: it was very similar to the original A*Men, but with some noticeable wood notes. Out of all the flankers, I would consider Pure Leather the closest to the original A*Men, and Pure Wood as second closest.

Couldn't really test the projection & longevity. Wish they just gave us the sample vials instead, like they've done with past releases. Will reserve overall impressions until I get a real sample.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Recently got my wipe sample as well. As mentioned earlier, I don't consider it a good way of sampling. My initial impressions from the wipe: it was very similar to the original A*Men, but with some noticeable wood notes. Out of all the flankers, I would consider Pure Leather the closest to the original A*Men, and Pure Wood as second closest.

Couldn't really test the projection & longevity. Wish they just gave us the sample vials instead, like they've done with past releases. Will reserve overall impressions until I get a real sample.

I am now really really hesitant to blind buy. I really have no need for (YET ANOTHER, ARRGHHH) a "its almost like amen but with this" fragrance. The reasons I love pure malt, havane and TOF is that they all have their own identity to where you would never mistake them for another fragrance yet you know what family it came from. This BS minor tweak flanker business. Wait, take a deep breath. Calm down. I gotta remain positive and wait to smell it. Then again if I dont blind buy it and its a masterpiece it will have unicorn status and I wont be able to get it. Decisions, decisions.

I am now really really hesitant to blind buy. I really have no need for (YET ANOTHER, ARRGHHH) a "its almost like amen but with this" fragrance. The reasons I love pure malt, havane and TOF is that they all have their own identity to where you would never mistake them for another fragrance yet you know what family it came from. This BS minor tweak flanker business. Wait, take a deep breath. Calm down. I gotta remain positive and wait to smell it. Then again if I dont blind buy it and its a masterpiece it will have unicorn status and I wont be able to get it. Decisions, decisions.
    I would recommend sampling. I'm sure sites like Surrender to Chance or eBay will have samples for sale at some point in time. I agree with you on Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and Taste of Fragrance - they're different enough from the original A*Men to get a full bottle.

Pure Leather was way, way too similar. I only got a full bottle of that because I saw it at a good discount (about 50% off). The jury is out on Pure Wood. Like you, I'm hesitant to purchase an A*Men flanker that's too similar to the original. I noticed the prominent tar note in both.

I really don't see any similarities with A*Men. Rather a mix of pieces from B*Men, Pure Malt and Pure Havane. I am only judging from the swab sample I had, but it was pretty well doused in juice, enough to get a strong first impression.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

mrzayas81 has his Pure Wood review up.
    Current Top Picks:

Unknown Pleasures
    Tuscan Leather
    D&G The One
    Pure Havane
    Intense Cafe
    Xerjoff Lira
    HdP Ambre 114

I liked the sample I received.

Quote Originally Posted by noFragsleft View Post
    mrzayas81 has his Pure Wood review up.
    The Youtube reviewers are getting these huge spray samples from Mugler.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    The Youtube reviewers are getting these huge spray samples from Mugler.
    And a big block of wood!
    Current Top Picks:

Unknown Pleasures
    Tuscan Leather
    D&G The One
    Pure Havane
    Intense Cafe
    Xerjoff Lira
    HdP Ambre 114

Well, I've had the sample wipe on for about 10 minutes now and here's what I'm getting so far...

At first sniff, I definitely picked up something spicy -- probably either cinnamon, or cloves. Whatever it was, it reminded me of the holidays. Shortly after, as someone else mentioned, it started to morph into what reminds me of a less sweet version of the Pure Malt dry down. Now, the note that's rising to the top (dominating the whole scent, in fact) is one that reminds me of Fahrenheit Absolute (a synthetic-y oud, perhaps?). Looking forward to seeing how this one develops over the next couple of hours.

ETA: Well, I've had this sample on for roughly 2 hours now and it's settled down into a scent that (on my skin, anyway) smells quite similar to Fahrenheit Absolute. Granted, it's hard to really judge a scent from a sample card like this but based on what I've experienced so far, it's close enough to the Fahrenheit that I I wouldn't buy a bottle. That said, my opinion might change once I'm able to sample this from an actual sprayer.
    Last edited by caferacer; 15th July 2014 at 01:44 AM.

anyone seen this in Canada yet?

This is now available from House of Fraser in Sheffield, but they're already down to their last 6 bottles (from sixty). I tested it yesterday and I like it very much. I got a very natural oak smell that reminded me of Chene by Mr Lutens along with a slightly creamy base. Probably not as sawdust-like as Chene but still very enjoyable.

I'll be buying a full bottle if funds permit.

I only just came across this today, can anyone comment on longevity yet? My issue with this line is, they all smell rather similar? I find it hard to tell them apart!

Tried it a few days ago. Starts off sweet, similar to much of the others in this line. When the sweetness died off a little the wood came to the fore, but not a beast of a fragrance. The wood reminded me of Wonderwood, but sweeter. Not hugely impressed if I'm honest. Cant see me buying it, which is disappointing as I was really looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by tefg View Post
    Tried it a few days ago. Starts off sweet, similar to much of the others in this line. When the sweetness died off a little the wood came to the fore, but not a beast of a fragrance. The wood reminded me of Wonderwood, but sweeter. Not hugely impressed if I'm honest. Cant see me buying it, which is disappointing as I was really looking forward to it
    I feel like they almost get there with these fragrances because the top notes start off so well but the dry down is always a disappointment because it feels so subtle.based on reviews thus far seems like a let down

When is the fragrance gonna be released to retailers?

Quote Originally Posted by Darealvelle View Post
    When is the fragrance gonna be released to retailers?
    Its already in stores in the UK apparently, not sure about other countries.