Code of Conduct

Question Konig by Yosh: should I buy it?

give me an advice, thanks!

tried it and impressed..but full bottle worthy?
    Last edited by Francolino; 21st April 2014 at 03:13 PM.
    spray and pray...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Konig by Yosh: should I buy it?

If you have tried it and know you like it, sure why not? Otherwise, IMO no.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sound Scents

While far from terrible, I did not care much for it. As to whether you should buy it? Only you can determine that, I only know I never will.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If you have tried it and know you like it, sure why not? Otherwise, IMO no.
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    While far from terrible, I did not care much for it. As to whether you should buy it? Only you can determine that, I only know I never will.
    Agree with both of these. I have a sample - it's really not bad. But it didn't make me stop in my tracks and buy a bottle either. If you haven't tried it yet, I would recommend seeking out a sample first to avoid any possible disappointment.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Dependent

The epitome of mediocrity in niche perfumes nowadays in my opinion!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Vinyl can suck my Discman
    Currently wearing: L'Oudh by Tauer

Basenotes Plus

The first few times I tried it I thought it was pretty good, I even placed it higher than Sombre Negra. But the more I tested it the more I disliked it, there's just something in there that reminds me of burning plastic. Now I care less about it.

Sombre Negra is still the king (literrally).

I would only recommend you buy it if you personally like it. I own a bottle and I have to say it is a very unusual scent that is not immediately likable, but it draws you in with its charisma. There is a unique personality to Konig that I admire. It is fresh and aromatic at the opening which then turns to a smoked birch leather seriousness which never completely takes over from the opening. So there is an indecisive quality about it. Is it an herbal fresh woods? Or is it a firewood smoked leather? It is not either but a weird combination. I agree that Sombre Negra is Yosh's best fragrance for men. Konig - still not sure about this one.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 21st April 2014 at 03:07 PM.

I am the lone dissenter...I spent two days sampling it, waited a week then finished the sample. I enjoyed it more each time I wore it. I bought a bottle. As Buzzlepuff stated it is that smokiness that clinched it for me. It is because of this scent that I will also sample Sombre Negra.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

By chance I tried this last week at Loprofumo in Florence, but only on paper. Very fresh beginning, and very nice, but didn't stop me in my tracks. Strangely, it has by now disappeared from the paperstrip - usually leather lasts a long time. But tonight I should go back and resmell it.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    The epitome of mediocrity in niche perfumes nowadays in my opinion!
    This was my impression of it, too. Sombra Negra was better, but not great either.

thanks everybody for your input!
    spray and pray...

got it!
    spray and pray...

If this fragrance is so mediocre how come it was just a recipient in the independent category at the Art and Olfaction Awards?

I'm trying to figure this out.

Just about everyone who replied in this post suggested that not only is the fragrance boring and unsure of itself, but also that it's kind of bad (isn't that what "mediocre" implies).

Yet it just won an award.

Is it bad? Or good?

I don't get it.

Does Yosh have an in with the judges or something?
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    If this fragrance is so mediocre how come it was just a recipient in the independent category at the Art and Olfaction Awards?

Just about everyone who replied in this post suggested that not only is the fragrance boring and unsure of itself, but also that it's kind of bad (isn't that what "mediocre" implies).

Is it bad? Or good?

I don't get it.

It's neither bad nor good, it's. . . mediocre.

By the way, "mediocre" doesn't imply that it's bad,. . . but it's not good either, it's. . . here I say it again: mediocre.

Now, that was helpful, wasn't it?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Vinyl can suck my Discman
    Currently wearing: L'Oudh by Tauer

Is it bad? Or good?

I don't get it.

I haven't tried this scent and probably won't, but make this observation: award winners tend not to be outstanding in any particular way, but pleasing to a wide variety of judges. Sometimes known as bland.

I have seen this phenomenon time and again in another sphere of interest (classical music*) and I doubt perfumery is much different.

*a memorable example being when Martha Argerich stormed out of the jury of the International Chopin Competition in 1980 because the somewhat eccentric (and subsequently successful) Ivo Pogorelich had not been admitted to the final.
    Last edited by Marais; 8th May 2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Default Konig by Yosh: should I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I haven't tried this scent and probably won't, but make this observation: award winners tend not to be outstanding in any particular way, but pleasing to a wide variety of judges. Sometimes known as bland.

I have seen this phenomenon time and again in another sphere of interest (classical music) and I doubt perfumery is much different.
    Here's my take:

The competition was judged blind, but I suspect that some of these scents must have been recognizable to at least some of the judges. Ashoka and Konig are both fairly identifiable, and so I think associations might have been with some of the judges along the lines of "ah, I know this one, and if it's what I think it is, people seem to like it." But on the other hand, the blind judging also forced the judges to really look at the technical side of things—and I think that's where something like Konig shines: it's really well produced.

The same could possibly be said for Calling All Angels—which wasn't to my taste, but for an "all-natural indie" (a trope that can have major baggage), it's technically jaw-dropping. So I wonder if in the case of Konig, what pushed it through in the end was possible recognition, but also its technical proficiency. Sadly, technical proficiency doesn't always equate to original / unique / interesting. Konig's not a bad scent, and it handles the note of apple quite well, but it does little for me personally. On the other hand, I could see why something like Blood Sweat Tears (another contender) wouldn't have the appeal of something like Konig.

Keep in mind too that the final judges were largely industry pros (Laudamiel, Turin etc.) who know what mainstream and commercial should smell like, but perhaps aren't quite as versed in the unusual and unique as others. Konig is commercially viable—very safe. For those of us who perhaps want something a little more forward-thinking, it's a tad dull whereas Sombre Negra was something else entirely.

Anyhow, that's how I viewed this particular award.
    Last edited by deadidol; 8th May 2014 at 07:26 PM.

Very interesting response, dead. I enjoyed reading it.

One of the reasons why I'm trying to get a handle on this one is that for all the technical proficiency and 'safe' factor that you mentioned, it's stayed fairly quiet--and I was wondering if that's because it's a commecially viable fragrance that exists within and thereby receives the majority of its critique from an anti-commercial audience, or simply because it was a subpar fragrance. The case seems to be the former. It's like if you exist in the world of niche and want to make some noise you better be different, and maybe a little out there. That's understandable too. Odd however, since YOSH is so exclusively niche and hard to find for the most part, save Luckyscent.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

For indie, she's actually got some major distribution. Barney's and Anthropologie for example, although the full range is scattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    I am the lone dissenter...I spent two days sampling it, waited a week then finished the sample. I enjoyed it more each time I wore it. I bought a bottle. As Buzzlepuff stated it is that smokiness that clinched it for me. It is because of this scent that I will also sample Sombre Negra.
    I still love my Konig too. I consider it to be one of the most balanced and easy-wearing scents I own. While I certainly enjoy and seek out much of the strange and avant garde stuff out there, there's something about wearing a scent that feels this classic and well-composed. It certainly takes out the guess work on some of those mornings. And generally it just makes me happy.

I've also offered it as a recommendation for anyone looking for a gift or something new with all positive responses so far

Anyway, I like Konig so much, I'm considering Sombre Negra myself now. Did you end up purchasing Mrnybluesman? Thoughts?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    got it!
    Please share your impressions, after almost two months experience with the frag. Thanks.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

I did indeed sample Sombre Negra but did not purchase a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Goat View Post
    I still love my Konig too. I consider it to be one of the most balanced and easy-wearing scents I own. While I certainly enjoy and seek out much of the strange and avant garde stuff out there, there's something about wearing a scent that feels this classic and well-composed. It certainly takes out the guess work on some of those mornings. And generally it just makes me happy.

I've also offered it as a recommendation for anyone looking for a gift or something new with all positive responses so far

Anyway, I like Konig so much, I'm considering Sombre Negra myself now. Did you end up purchasing Mrnybluesman? Thoughts?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Basenotes Institution FSU92grad's Avatar

I have it but really thinking about selling it....used it maybe twice and cannot seem to find a place or time to wear it....like everybody is saying, it's "meh" or mediocre....And to me, really doesnt smell good....doesnt smell bad but probably not going to harbor the compliments if that is what you are looking for....

I am also considering selling my bottle of Cade from L'occitan too. Again another "meh" scent. It started out as a likeable fragrance but idk, maybe I'm becoming a little too snooty with fragrances but this one just hasn't "wowed" me...So, I think I might put both on sale soon....
    TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    2.) Frank no. 2 LA
    3.) Creed Viking
    4.) Creed Royal Mayfair
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Lampblack
    7.) New York Intense (parfum)
    8.) Fahrenheit
    9.) Dusita Issara
    10.) Gengis Khan

Honorable Mention: Chanel Sycomore
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Dependent

Is it bad? Or good?

I don't get it.

Have you tried it? Judges look for certain things when rating a fragrance that we may not look for when selecting a fragrance to wear. I'd never wear this and the judges that gave it the awards probably wouldn't either
    Seasonal rotation:

1861 Naxos by Xerjoff
    Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove
    Amber Absolute by Tom Ford
    Royal English Leather by Creed
    Chypre Palatin by MDCI