Default Re: SOTD: Wednesday, April 23th, 2014

Bonjour Mesdames!

Basenotes Plus

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Mazzolari - Patchouly.

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone! I am in one of my HGs today (if not THE HG), Bois des Iles EDT! However, a package of small decants just arrived in the post at my office, so I also have Bois de Violette on the back of one hand, and the current Vol de Nuit EDT on the back of the other...am in sniffing bliss here

Xscent - oh poor you yesterday, with the disappearing data.....how are things today? Were you able to get any of it back?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Bonjour Mesdames!
    Morning all! Easyfish; what *is* this a picture of??

My Dad & his girlfriend are taking us out for lunch today, to a country pub just outside of town. l'm wearing Boutonniere No7 for the occasion, from my sample.

Xscent; l do hope you are able to recover all of your precious work.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

^ It´s a nutmeg tree fruit, consisting of the fruit pulp, the nutmeg (brown) and the mace (red "wrapping"). Bon appétit!

Last edited by easyfish; 23rd April 2014 at 12:16 PM.

Mysterious Oud by Chabaud

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hello all. 28 La Pausa.
    DONNA

Amouage Silver today.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò pour Homme this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

ClaireV, I saw you love list on another thread, but did not realize that BdI was the HG!!!! We share that, as we do many from your list. It was a great list. I hope some of your samples add to it.

easyfish, you are a wealth of information! And informational pictures too. Thanks!

I am house twins with ClaireV and donna today, in Chanel #5 Eau Premiere, my easy breezy Chanel. Perfect for my morning meeting today, and actually perfect for any day or occasion. Lovely stuff, this one.

1725 Casanova by HDP

Hello everyone -

I'm in vintage Vivre for dance (and my last day of training the new barre instructor - yay!) and surprise, surprise, there's *hyacinth* in this. I didn't actively seek it out for that note this morning, but there it is, plain as day - how delightful! Other notes in this luscious, aldehydic floral include rose, iris, jasmine, ylang, orange blossom, lily-of-the-valley, vetiver, sandalwood and oakmoss ...very nice.

Alrighty then, y'all have a great day!

cestrum - there's just no accounting for what the nose picks up and what it decides to ignore, y'know? Grand Amour is almost all hyacinth to me, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's even in there - my nose tends to play olfactory tricks on me, and certain accords will absolutely convince me I'm smelling something that's not listed in any pyramid anywhere ...not that they're always accurate, but this happens a lot. Hermès Rouge is like this, with an apparently *phantom* hyacinth note that makes it kissing cousins to Chamade, and Rouge eau Délicate is remarkably similar to Grand Amour, due to what I thought was the hyacinth, but I've never seen hyacinth listed for either Hermès fragrance, nor their precursor Parfum d'Hermès, which is nearly identical to Chamade, the absolute gold standard for hyacinth perfumes. But on the other hand, I'm sort of convinced that the nose just knows, and if it says it's in there, it probably is ...lol, my nose is so bossy and insistent!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 23rd April 2014 at 02:49 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

illustration of the first edition
    Last edited by easyfish; 23rd April 2014 at 02:18 PM.

Dior - Oud Ispahan

Basenotes Plus

Oud Cashmere Mood

Have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning!

teardrop, I'm so glad you asked about that picture - I stared and stared at it before scrolling down for the "ah-ha!" moment.

CapriDog: koalas!!!!

So last night I went totally random and put in a job application as a Red Cross blood drive technician - mainly because the job is in Asheville, NC, one of my favorite places ever. I was perusing Asheville jobs and saw this and was like, hm, ok, let's go for it. Rynegne, I currently work in financial services - in credit administration at a Really Big Bank - but I am beyond ready to make a change.

Sticking with Roudnitska this morning: in Diorissimo, vintage EDT.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Hello everyone,

Capridog awww, such cuteness. They look cuddly but you have to watch out for the claws.

ClaireV and teardrop I have to wait until Saturday to find out the extent of the issue. In the meantime I've made notes and treating the next couple of days as a break from studying. ClaireV it seems we have similar taste, PM me before things get dire and you turn to selling the kids . teardrop I find myself thinking a lot about Boutonnière no.7, that fresh sappy green gardenia and vetiver would be lovely in the heat.

House twins with cello and scent twins with ClaireV in Bois des Îles parfum and EDT.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Creed, Royal English Leather

Attachment 27501

Good morning everyone! Tough loss in overtime for the Bulls last night...which is making for a tough Wednesday morning for me. I ended up getting home at 1:30 a.m. as there was a ton of after-midnight traffic after the game due to lane closures. I'm running on fumes this morning, using supplemented energy from coffee to keep myself awake.

ErinK, I hope it works out for you! It's a tough balance, doing something you enjoy, earning a living, living where you'd like...etc. etc. Life's too short to work in a field that you don't at least have a slight passion for. You'll figure everything out! That would be awesome to make a move to such a beautiful part of the country (or so I hear), I've always wanted to visit North Carolina...particularly that part. I love the outdoors and hiking and there are some amazing sights around Asheville.

House of Matriarch SexMagic - This name doesn't really fit the bill...this is a nice fragrance. Super mellow and smooth mix of light leather and fir. Magical maybe...but not something that I feel deserves such a goofy name.

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=cello;3130614]ClaireV, I saw you love list on another thread, but did not realize that BdI was the HG!!!! We share that, as we do many from your list. It was a great list. I hope some of your samples add to it.

Hi Cello - yep, I have fallen for Bois Des Iles HARD. I am rationing out my little decant of 5ml drop by drop! When I finish that, I am going to go for a 8ml decant of the vintage EDT - can you tell me, is this good or better than the current stuff?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Hello everyone,

Capridog awww, such cuteness. They look cuddly but you have to watch out for the claws.

ClaireV and teardrop I have to wait until Saturday to find out the extent of the issue. In the meantime I've made notes and treating the next couple of days as a break from studying. ClaireV it seems we have similar taste, PM me before things get dire and you turn to selling the kids . teardrop I find myself thinking a lot about Boutonnière no.7, that fresh sappy green gardenia and vetiver would be lovely in the heat.

House twins with cello and scent twins with ClaireV in Bois des Îles parfum and EDT.

Hi Xscent, yes, we do seem to be very similar in taste! But don't worry about me, I am getting very crafty on this budget and have located a few decant sellers who will keep me well supplied without having to sell the kids But thanks for worrying about my supply levels...you are so kind

Hello all,

I am wearing Sous Le Vent today. It's beautiful and intriguing.

mikeperez: I enjoyed your anecdote about discovering Diptyque and L'Eau. Formal tea, visiting the perfume shop... I almost feel like I was there. On first try, I was ambivalent about L'Eau but it grew on me as the day went on. Playful spices and fantastic longevity.

Good morning, good smelling people.

Mark (Avon) Karmala today. Perhaps this is vintage, technically, as it's over 5 years. Discontinued but one of their best ever.

[QUOTE=ClaireV;3130756]
    Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    ClaireV, I saw you love list on another thread, but did not realize that BdI was the HG!!!! We share that, as we do many from your list. It was a great list. I hope some of your samples add to it.

Hi Cello - yep, I have fallen for Bois Des Iles HARD. I am rationing out my little decant of 5ml drop by drop! When I finish that, I am going to go for a 8ml decant of the vintage EDT - can you tell me, is this good or better than the current stuff?
    I have actually not smelled the vintage EDT/EDP as I really don't want to be heart broken or have to chase stuff off of Ebay. But I can say that the current parfum is much better than the current EDT - and a combination, like Xscent is doing and like I usually do, is beyond wonderful. Certainly give the decant of vintage a try, you should be in for a wonderful experience. And I really don't think it will take away from the magic of the current EDT, just show different facets.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

Capri Dog, love the picture of the koalas, so cute!

Wearing Gucci Flora this morning, with notes of peony, citric notes, osmanthus, rose, patchouli and sandalwood.

Have a great day!

Basenotes Plus

Egoiste Cologne Concentree - one of my only vintage "finds" since I became a BN member - got a bottle for $25

I know I should save it, but life is short!
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Good afternoon, folks!

So it was a nutmeg! Phew. I'm pleased to hear it, as I was beginning to wonder.

I started off in a sample of Iris Silver Mist I picked up at the weekend, but it wasn't cutting the mustard, so to speak, so off it came. Mitsouko extrait now performing brilliantly in its stead.

Big wave to all

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. Rapid in and out today, I'm afraid. Also having serious IT issues (Patch Hag ). PC off for repair again in the morning - hopefully should be back in a couple of days. Take care everyone.

Armani Eau PH.

queen of the universe

My late niece would have been 29 today; she died of cancer at age not quite eight. She loved flowers, so I'm wearing Guerlain Champs Elysées with its gorgeous spring bouquet in her memory.

Here's a photo of her and my daughter. My daughter is in the pink dress. She misses her cousin to this day.

Scan.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

So sad. You gave me the chills just reading and seeing the picture. I hope that in my lifetime, a cure is found.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    My late niece would have been 29 today; she died of cancer at age not quite eight. She loved flowers, so I'm wearing Guerlain Champs Elysées with its gorgeous spring bouquet in her memory.

Here's a photo of her and my daughter. My daughter is in the pink dress. She misses her cousin to this day.

Scan.jpg

Aw Jujy, how sad, but such a precious photo.

Erink, I wish you luck with this job app. I love your bravery!

Xscent, wishes for a complete recovery!

Claire's, wishes for bountiful supplies of that BdI! At lovely pricing! I'm searching for Vega at lovely pricing. Fat chance, but I like the sound of it and that bottle is so sexy! Hmmm, maybe I ought to sample it first!

I've been so busy recently that I haven't had a chance to visit you all. I missed you. Today, I'm still catching wafts of last nights Jicky EDT but I'm nursing a very annoying cold so I won't likely spray anything new. I'm currently spending my free time plotting how to acquire my Tabac Blond, and which formulation I want. I actually really like the EDT but can't find it anywhere. I got a sample from STC recently and so I called the NYC Caron boutique and spoke to Diane who said they quit selling it 14 years ago. So I checked with STC again, to inquire if the decant they sent was vintage, to which they said 'No, we got it from Caron NYC through Diane two years ago.' Now I don't know what to think.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Institution

A sample from rtamara41 (I miss her dearly here on the boards) of:

Oud by Mona di Orio

Delicious stuff. Just a few drops and wow it's magnificent, florals with teeth, non-stinky oud.

Today's my boss' birthday so I was super crazy busy trying to coordinate all of the staff and realtors to be here to sing him Happy Birthday, get the cake candles lit, get his card signed...it turned out a big success. The cake was outstandingly beautiful. They went really over the top...I wish I'd gotten a picture of it. He's French so he can be picky about desserts but he was very impressed. Thank god! lol

Sunny and crisply hot today in Miami - although these mornings this week have all been cool and breezy (so unlike typical Miami humid mornings) it's just gorgeous.

ClaireV - I love Bois des Iles vintage Eau de Cologne that I just got a bottle of, I would imagine the vintage EdT would be just as good if not better (as long as the Seller stored it properly). As I'm sure you're aware, the vintage BdI most assuredly has Mysore sandalwood.
    easyfish - had no idea what mace looked like from a freshly cut nutmeg pod. Does CdG EdP have nutmeg/mace in it? I thought of it more as a clove scent.
    Evangeline - love that Vivre bottle and that melting glass effect
    rynegne - I know nothing about the House of Matriarch, but I love the graphics on that bottle. Is the scent very heavy? I struggle with heavy leather scents but I love fir ones
    ErinK - good luck with the job search - keep your chin up girl
    Trilby - it was awesome. It was in Irving Place, a part of NY I was unfamiliar with until that trip. Here's a link to the place: http://www.innatirving.com/?pg=dining-mendls
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd April 2014 at 05:34 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

No, this one isn't too "leather-forward." I cannot stand overtly leather fragrances either...I know hate is a strong word...but I'm close to it when it comes to leather. The leather notes in this one are quite well-blended and sing along lightly in the back of the fragrance while fir/cedar..light woods and choyas are more the big players. All their stuff is highly concentrated so it's much lighter and sits closer to the skin...play more w/ body heat when skin heats up the fragrance projects a bit. I think Blackbird beats this one...but the leather note is a little stronger and I find it to be a little stranger of a scent. One you might like is Bohemian Black. There is a lemoncello note on top, white floral notes in the mid and a creamy sandalwood/white floral dry down that's really quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    rynegne - I know nothing about the House of Matriarch, but I love the graphics on that bottle. Is the scent very heavy? I struggle with heavy leather scents but I love fir ones

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Wednesday, April 23th, 2014

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

SOTE
    ............the every evening need for lavender.........

Armani Code Ultimate by Giorgio Armani

Blog Entries

Last edited by kumquat; 23rd April 2014 at 08:37 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Wore Jo Malone Osmanthus Blossom, a special release from 2013. Later I spayed her Orange Blossom cologne & Grapefruit; all Jo Malone.

I'm off to a doctor appointment, one for me & one for my daughter.

Kitten is getting chubby. She & Bella are still not friends.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Hello everyone. I am wearing Frederic Malle's Dries Van Noten, which is a lovely gift from a lovely Basenotes friend. It's warm, sweet, delicious and light, which is perfect for someone getting over the flu.

I want to say how much I enjoy reading this board, especially the SOTD thread. It's nice to see so many nice fellows joining us, too. I think my mother's illness will be taking up more of my time shortly, so I probably won't get to post very much. But I will try. And I'll enjoy reading even when I can't post. You guys always bring a smile to my face. I think this is a thread that brings out the best in people, and don't we need that in our hectic modern world?

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Frank No.1 (Original) by Frank LA

ErinK, Xscent, Kiliwia - Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mocha, I couldn't agree more with the statement below. The sense of community and general support in the FSOTD board is what has me coming back daily now rather than every once in a while. Glad you're starting to feel better fellow Chicagoan and I am sorry to hear of your mother's illness. Hoping you have some time to come back and say hi every now and again.

And a very nice SOTD indeed. From a nutty almond vanilla milk to a warm sandalwood...good stuff in Dries Van Noten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I think this is a thread that brings out the best in people, and don't we need that in our hectic modern world?

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I think this is a thread that brings out the best in people, and don't we need that in our hectic modern world?
    Yes, I totally agree! Thank you everyone.

Basenotes Institution

More of this licorice monster:

Dont let the short stout appearance fool you. This one will knock your block off. Oud/licorice/darkness/blackness/Edgar-Allen-Poe-would've-liked this sort of evilness.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Thanks easyfish for solving that little mystery. Who knew the inside of a nutmeg looked like that?

Jon; hope you get that PC fixed soon!

Jujy; that's so sad about your neice. And that pic is so beautiful.

Mocha; nice post, & l'm sorry to hear about your mother's illness. l hope it is something she will recover from?

We had a nice meal out today. lt was lovely to get out & see the countryside, although it rained all afternoon, so a walk was out of the question. l'm warming up in Stoned this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Testing Botrytis from a sample again. Opening is great but quickly dries into a generic smelling musk. No lasting power. Off the wishlist.

Basenotes Plus

Same here, kalli!

Hey y'all -

I'm in Gucci Envy for the afternoon, yet another gorgeous hyacinth fragrance, while I'm at it. Envy was created by Maurice Roucel in 1997, and in addition to the dewy hyacinth, it boasts notes of lily-of-the-valley, rose, jasmine, magnolia (allegedly, hehe) iris, woods and musk ...perfectly lovely and now sadly discontinued, otherwise I'd be wearing this one a lot more frequently.

Last edited by Evangeline; 23rd April 2014 at 10:24 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Well, it's wine o'clock for me in the backyard with Rocky on this gorgeous evening, as I start the nightly job search.

For SOTE, I grabbed a random sample that was labeled (very officially, I might add) as "Kept by MDCI." I applied liberally then looked it up in the directory and it is in fact Kept by MCMC Fragrances. How's that for some mislabeling? Hehe! Notes: Red Rose, Black tea, clove, leather, amber. Not the notes I would have picked out, except for the tea, I suppose. It's much lighter than the notes would suggest thankfully, as I wasn't in the mood for anything heavy tonight. I suppose it's nice if you like this sort of thing...but it's not something I would choose for myself. Ah well.

jujy, that picture is so beautiful; what a lovely memory. It was just heartbreaking to read about your sweet niece. Thank you for sharing about your niece and assuring that her memory will live on.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Blog Entries

SotA - Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur (from a sample)

Last edited by del; 24th April 2014 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Same here, kalli!
    You too huh? My few little samplings have been one or two squirters but a full wearing makes me really not want it anymore. Has such rave reviews, with the occasional, 'this doesn't last', so true, it goes all Yves Rocher musk on me in no time. The honey becomes very faint. Doesn't justify the price, imo. I get no gingerbread, not really any white florals either.

A BN buddy did send me a Vikt sample, it's an interesting one..sprays on like green sap but interesting. The first time I didn't get licorice..the second time I did though. Have you tried Saaliiisssiimo, Mike? I think you may like that one.

Don't know if I have tried Gucci Envy but I don't think I am huge on lotv, big notes of it anyway..like Diorissimo, the jasmine almost saved it for me but nope.

Hugs to everyone!
    Last edited by kalli; 24th April 2014 at 12:17 AM.

Scent twins with b3t0_1972 in Oud Ispahan today.

ErinK, I often have to stop and think when I want to talk about MDCI or MCMC because my brain puts them in the same box, even though one is a high-end luxury house and one is an indie free spirit.

I'm wearing a small spritz of Etro Heliotrope today ... a comfort scent for a day I just don't feel up to par.

danieq, Luckyscent has a statement on their Caron page about special orders of any Caron scent not on their websiste ... have you tired there? I do know LS carries Tabac Blond in EDP and extrait. although the EDP is backordered at the moment.

rynegne, sorry about the game last night. I guess Kirk didn't have a such a great game ... but none of the Bulls were too good the last few minutes, IMO. I read on my Jayhawk board that he's not very popular with the Bull fans. I'm sorry to hear that and it makes me sad to see him be a step slow ... I guess we all get that way eventually, but he's still one of my all-time favorite Jayhawks.

E, thanks for my new avatar!

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

^ The pleasure's all mine, shades - it looks *so* beautiful on you!

Just spritzed on some Demeter Gingerale from a sample. I have a friend coming over for movie night, but it might involve a cocktail or two, maybe a gingerale one! This is fairly authentic smelling and kind of cool.

It's ok, great game...stinks they lost but oh well. Kirk played well enough last night, there were some horrible shots taken by both him and DJ Augustine. I don't think Bulls fans have a distaste for Kirk at all...now Boozer, that's another story! Kirk's never been a "scorer," (what the Bulls need) even when he was a younger player, but, a great support player.

SOTE: Mancera Kumkat Wood from a sample, but I just purchased a full bottle tonight as well! Excited to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    rynegne, sorry about the game last night. I guess Kirk didn't have a such a great game ... but none of the Bulls were too good the last few minutes, IMO. I read on my Jayhawk board that he's not very popular with the Bull fans. I'm sorry to hear that and it makes me sad to see him be a step slow ... I guess we all get that way eventually, but he's still one of my all-time favorite Jayhawks.
    Last edited by rynegne; 24th April 2014 at 01:40 AM.

Me again, morning coffee catchup.

Evangeline Envy can still be bought new in box if you are after a back up. I'm not sure how many are left but I'll see if I scrounge up the link later for you.

((Jujy)) you never stop missing them. Such a sweet photo, thank you for sharing.

Danieq let me know how you go with the Tabac Blond. I'll be off again in a few weeks and can see if it's available in Europe.

ErinK a change might be exactly what is needed. Whatever you decide to do I know you can make it work. If it all gets too hard come hide out at mine for awhile.

Jon right back. Will commiserate on the lameness of this technological age at wine o'clock my time. Btw it's another long weekend in Oz!

Gucci Pour Homme II today, such a gorgeous woody tea scent. While the will it/ wouldn't be disco'd debate goes on about this one I've stashed a second big bottle of it away.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Creed Cyprès-Musc tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

queen of the universe

HI, everyone. Thanks for the sweet sentiments. Staying floral tonight with Guerlain's magnificent Véga.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

A frivolity crept into my collection today...
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa