Code of Conduct

Default A most unusual experience with Oakmoss Absolute

I recently had a very odd situation when I opened a .5 ounce bottle of Oakmoss Abs that I had not opened for about five (5) years or so.
    I had used only very minor amounts of the contents of the bottle, so there was very close to a half ounce in the bottle.

On this recent ocassion of opening the bottle, the material started to ooze out of the opening of the upright bottle. It moved at a good
    enough speed to have this become an unnerving experience to say the least, as I started to wonder when this expansion would stop. It did
    stop "growing" when about a bit more than an inch long, having a diameter of the same size as the bottle opening.

In cleaning up the mass (or mess, maybe more accurately) that came out of the bottle, I did get some on my hand. No worries there, I
    still have the hand attached to my body, but mention this only as this allowed me to observe the scent profile for, well, quite a good
    length of time (the green staining on my hand as well). The stuff definitely has good staying power. There was no degradation of the odor that I could perceive, it smelled the same as I remembered it to when first acquired.

With a bit of dreadful anticipation, I did get up the nerve to reopen the bottle just prior to my writing this post, and was relieved to find the Oakmoss behaving in the manner I was accustomed to (ie. nothing moved).

So the obvious question to what is probably a simple organic chemistry phenomena...what took place inside the bottle over those few years that it was unopened? And, would the material still in the bottle have a greater risk of impact on human health than it did when the bottle was first acquired (Jan. 2008)?

As a good citizen, should I be reporting this to IFRA?...just joking on that last one.

Default Re: A most unusual experience with Oakmoss Absolute

I've noticed that oakmoss-laden older fragrances have kept very well - none have (so far) escaped from their bottles

I had a load of mine misbehave in a similar fashion one winter. The probability was that I had the bottles really cold and the innards had gone over the entrance. As my hand heated up the bottle, the warmer air underneath pushed them forcibly out of the bottles making a bad mess each time. Once that air had got out, they didn't do it any more.

- wrong thread -
    Last edited by Odeon; 25th April 2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: wrong place

Quote Originally Posted by Odeon View Post
    Note that there are other fragrant floating materials that melt/smoke with a hot needle
    for example tree amber and surfboard wax.
    Odeon, Are you by chance answering the ambergris thread instead?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Thanks Mumsy, that would make sense.

Ha yes PK it was meant for the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by islearom View Post
    I recently had a very odd situation when I opened a .5 ounce bottle of Oakmoss Abs that I had not opened for about five (5) years or so.
    I had used only very minor amounts of the contents of the bottle, so there was very close to a half ounce in the bottle.

On this recent ocassion of opening the bottle, the material started to ooze out of the opening of the upright bottle. It moved at a good
    enough speed to have this become an unnerving experience to say the least, as I started to wonder when this expansion would stop. It did
    stop "growing" when about a bit more than an inch long, having a diameter of the same size as the bottle opening.

In cleaning up the mass (or mess, maybe more accurately) that came out of the bottle, I did get some on my hand. No worries there, I
    still have the hand attached to my body, but mention this only as this allowed me to observe the scent profile for, well, quite a good
    length of time (the green staining on my hand as well). The stuff definitely has good staying power. There was no degradation of the odor that I could perceive, it smelled the same as I remembered it to when first acquired.

With a bit of dreadful anticipation, I did get up the nerve to reopen the bottle just prior to my writing this post, and was relieved to find the Oakmoss behaving in the manner I was accustomed to (ie. nothing moved).

So the obvious question to what is probably a simple organic chemistry phenomena...what took place inside the bottle over those few years that it was unopened? And, would the material still in the bottle have a greater risk of impact on human health than it did when the bottle was first acquired (Jan. 2008)?

As a good citizen, should I be reporting this to IFRA?...just joking on that last one.
    Sounds like the early draft of a plot for a Dr Who episode . . . Iíve not had this experience but Mumsyís explanation sounds highly likely to me. If it moves again, call UNIT at once ;-)
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Do you suppose there is a chance this would have the potential for a good movie plot? "The Night of the Living Dead Oak Moss"?, or, "The Attack of the Killer Oak Moss"?

Quote Originally Posted by islearom View Post
    Do you suppose there is a chance this would have the potential for a good movie plot? "The Night of the Living Dead Oak Moss"?, or, "The Attack of the Killer Oak Moss"?
    Bearing in mind that Attack of the Killer Tomatoes made it into production as an actual film, I should think there is a very good chance indeed!
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I have the same issue with pink grapefruit EO. It always jumps out of the bottle. Not sure how all that pressure builds in there.. Luckily for me, the smell doesn't last that long..

It's reassuring to me that this sort of the thing is not unique to just my experience. I hesitated to post about this for what I think is the obvious reason.