Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vanilla (aka, help a single dad :)

Hi, my daughter is in high school, and asked me to pick her up some perfumes she might like. I'm planning to pick up a few samples for her to try. Right now she loves, and gets endless compliments on, the cheap $6 body spray she wears that she picks up at the grocery store (Vanilla Fantasy by Body Fantasies). She loves the vanilla, and wants to stick with it. So I'm looking for suggestions for a high school pleaser, doesn't have to be sophisticated, just easily likeable. Sort of a vanilla based equivalent of Acqua di Gio or Bleu de Chanel on the men's side But more sophisticated that Victoria Secret body sprays, etc. I'd love to hear suggestions for both scents with or without vanilla -- I'm going to get her some non-vanilla samples to expand her horizons a bit. Planning to do a little research in the archives here too!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Oh, I found this list on Surrender to Chance, best for high school girls, as a starter list

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle - a rich oriental with amazing sillage
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDP - old skool through and through, and I caution you that you may hate it!
    Prada Candy - staying with the gourmand, but in a much more grown-up way
    Prada Infusion d'Iris - fresh iris, incredibly wearable without being overpowering
    Thierry Mugler Angel - Every street in Paris wafts this scent
    Ralph Lauren Ralph Wild - fresh, floral, great trailing scent
    Burberry Brit - this scent just garners compliments, as does most of the Burberry Scent. They smell young without feeling like you're still in a training bra.
    Marc Jacobs Daisy - perennially a great scent, smells great, wonderful trailing scent (sillage if you want to learn a perfume term)
    Comme des Garcons Avignon - Okay, I'm just gonna go with this because my gut says yes. This is an incense scent. Incense is deeply calming and meditative. High school is anything but that. This smells amazing and will help keep you centered. You won't smell grown up or like a little kid, you'll smell zen. And it's a first step into the incredibly fun world of niche perfumery!
    Last edited by Uvalde; 24th April 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Default Re: Vanilla (aka, help a single dad :)

Royal Bain de Caron is a lovely scent with this unimitable Caron vanilla base, very suitable for a young girl.

I don't know where you live, but I recently bought a 250 ml bottle at an incredible low price in the U.K.
    Last edited by Puma; 24th April 2014 at 04:07 PM.
    Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume.
    - Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Try Guerlain Samsara. ​ or YSL- Cinèma http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123611.html
    Last edited by kumquat; 24th April 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Well, if she likes vanilla, Burberry Brit may be a good choice for her.
    Another vanilla she may like is Hypnose by Lancome.

Other vanillas:

Jo Malone Rose Water and Vanilla
    something from the Lavanila line.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

For vanilla, Guerlain Shalimar is the classic reference (and in general, Guerlain is famous for its vanilla. Among its other vanillic offerings there is Vol de nuit and Jicky). Otherwise, Lush Vanillary is more singlemndedly vanillic, simple but fun.

For non-vanilla, some good suggestions in your list. But note that Coco M and especially Angel, excellent as they are, and certainly within the usual tastes of a teenager, are very strong and totally unsuited for a classroom (though ok for a night out). Prada Candy is very gourmand but well done; cute bottle too. Not a fan of the Jacobs and Burberry; the Prada Iris is ok, but I can think of much better irises (like some Chanels, eg No 19, La Pausa).

Mitsouko is perhaps the most classic perfume, so it's worth introducing her to it, but as the comments said, teenagers may find it "old". Incenses should also work - they are unusual for teenagers, given also that they're not used in church anymore. Avignon smells exactly like the incense used in a catholic cathedral. For a more fun take on incense, there's CDG2 man, which has a lemony touch and feels fresher.

cacio

Thanks all, will take a look at those.

What do you all think of Aquolina Pink Sugar? It seems to be mentioned in every "top 5 for high school girls" list on the interwebs

I am a vanilla nut and that is the only reason that I am in the female fragrance section - honest

I am on a Montale kick at the moment and they have some good vanilla scents - Vanille Absolu and Vanilla Extasy are two that may be worth a look

Several like Pink Sugar, it's a simple, sweet scent. Not a fave of mine but a few on Basenotes like it. You can find it for cheap online. For the price, worth trying out.

+1 on the Montale scents
    Last edited by kalli; 24th April 2014 at 04:53 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I very much second the Shalimar and Lush Vanillary recommendations.

Also, L de Lolita Lempicka is a nice vanilla. And I strongly recommend Bulgari Black- Vanilla and rubber.

Non-vanilla: I also think Guerlain Insolence is great and fun for a young woman. It's a wild violet perfume. The original Lolita Lempicka is also gorgeous and quite strange.

I find that a young woman who enjoys sweet scents always loves Prada Candy.

The other one that came to mind is Lavanila Laboratories Vanilla Grapefruit which is a unique citrus twist on Vanilla which I found pleasant. It can be found usually at Sephora.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/L...ruit-4708.html
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

For easy-to-read vanilla, I like Vanille Incensee. Bonus for accessibility- a travel spray is available through Sephora for about $25-$30.

Also, I really like Pink Sugar, especially for a high school girl- it's weird sweet lemon candy, super-likeable, and if she's used to others noticing her sillage and offering compliments, this is a good bet to keep that going. Hanae Mori Butterfly is another in that sweet/simple/edible category that would be worth a try.

For an oddball option that might work (and that you can steal if she's not into it!), Bvlgari Black starts out with rubber tires and tea, and dries down to comfy vanilla and well-read books.

Also, I agree with the suggestion of LUSH Vanillary, and while I'm not a fan of that scent, I did find others- the key lime/tonka combo of 25:43 was a good match for me (and a cheap gateway to Shalimar's citrus-vanilla).

Good luck!
    Last edited by katesonskates; 24th April 2014 at 06:26 PM.

My recs

Molinard Vanille - basic vanilla - sort of cotton candy, caramel, fruity, but not foody like a cookie, layers well, great price.
    Givenchy Organza Indecence - more sophisticated, custardy vanilla and spice
    Organza - creamy floral, vanilla

Basenotes Plus

If I had a teenage daughter, I would want to introduce her to Guerlain and get her started RIGHT from the beginning.

I do happen to have a 17 year old niece who is graduating high school soon and has been accepted to Auburn (WAR EAGLE!!!) and she is going to get a really nice graduation present from her weird uncle who likes frags. Plus my sister (her mom) is an aromatherapist
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

I think Pink Sugar, Britney Spears Fantasy, and Prada Candy are great places to start. The original Lolita Lempicka is also nice, and a very different kind of vanilla.

Blog Entries

+1 for Lush Vanillary.

l also recommend Dior Addict & Hypnotic Poison.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I just gave my 12 year old daughter my Elizabeth Arden Untold sample and she loves it to bits. It is really pretty for a young girl without being sickly. Guerlain Insolence is the other she has. That is a little more fruity.

I'd stay away from many of those on the Surrender to Chance list - one day she may want to try some of those, but I'm just sayin - I also loved vanilla in high school, and most of those would've scared the dickens out of me. Except, maybe, Prada Candy - that would be a good one to try. And of course she should try Pink Sugar. We're going for "what she'd like," not "what we wish she would like."

I'd add, as far as Burberry goes, I think the original Burberry for women in the squat, round bottle would be the one to try. It's warm and delicious and a total compliment getter. She'd probably convert most of her friends to it. I wore the heck out of it in college.

Marc Jacobs Lola comes to mind as something else to try. Annick Goutal Vanille Exquise would be a nice non-scary niche to start with - a lovely straightforward vanilla.
    Last edited by ErinK; 24th April 2014 at 11:09 PM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Blog Entries

Vanille Exquise ​would be great but isn't it d/c?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Vanille Exquise ​would be great but isn't it d/c?
    I don't think so - it's available on the AG website.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

You can give Hermes L'Ambre des Merveilles a try, a very nice and polite vanilla scent. Perhaps too grown up, a bit?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    I don't think so - it's available on the AG website.
    Well then, this is my first choice.

Prada Candy l'Eau is a new flanker that is quite nice and has a breezier feel than it's caramel-y big sister.

For a high school girl (young woman!) maybe Dior Hypnotic Poison. More expensive option, Calypso St. Barth Lea (a vanilla, almond and white musk) . Or check out the Vanilla Sampler sets from the various decant sites, and then buy her what she likes. They usually come with about 6 samples of various price range fragrances. She would have fun I think.

Thanks for all the help. I've been taking notes, and ordered the following 4 just to get the ball rolling, since I found them all at Surrender to Chance:

- Pink Sugar
    - Prada Candy
    - Guerlain Samsara
    - Guerlain Shalimar

I'll do another batch of 4 as I find them at the sample shops, going to raid DecantShop and PerfumedCourt next

Rochas' Tocade is a great vanilla and rose fragrance.

+1 on Dior Addict, Vanille Exquise, Shalimar, Molinard Vanille, and also look into some of the Comptoir Sud Pacifique scents. Good luck!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Rather than the grand classic Shalimar, which some might find challenging on first sniff, why not try Shalimar Initial or the Eau de Shalimar? They're lighter, prettier and younger, but still have a good dose of vanilla (like most of the classic Guerlains).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I very much second the Shalimar and Lush Vanillary recommendations.

Also, L de Lolita Lempicka is a nice vanilla. And I strongly recommend Bulgari Black- Vanilla and rubber.

Non-vanilla: I also think Guerlain Insolence is great and fun for a young woman. It's a wild violet perfume. The original Lolita Lempicka is also gorgeous and quite strange.
    +1 on Bulgari black. I think its perfect for a girl this age. Its different enough that she will be original and dries down to a very nice vanilla on women.

My niece is 19 and she loves Prada Candy.

I think she would be bound to love Cinema by YSL
    or Prada Candy. My god-daughter (aged 20) recently
    went into raptures over my Lolita Lempicka edt and the bottle
    is georgeous (just saying!)
    Good luck with your choices.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Vanille by Molinard. Easy to find at online discounters. Almost pure vanilla.

Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess. Buy this along with the body cream.

For a vanilla bomb, try Casmir by Chopard or Dior Addict.

CDG AVignon would not work for the average high school girl, IMO, unless she is unusually individualistic.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

This is the Dior Addict you should get. Get it at Sephora in JC Penny. Hurry, it's d/c!

This is a sweet idea, and your daughter will appreciate the gift. I'm am mid thirties, and adore shalimar and mitsouko, but I am unsure if my younger self would have.
    Coco mademoiselle is common but a great scent imo. Also try shalimar perfume initial. Another vote for Prada candy, I find it a bit sweet, but still great, and the package is quite chic.
    If you have a sephora near by I would also check out comptoir sud pacific line, I like vanilla apricot , though it is very sweet.
    Good luck.

queen of the universe

Hi, dad,

I loved Shalimar when I was in high school, and ever since.

I also love minis of perfume. depending on your time and inclination you might want to scout ebay for miniatures of some of the scents recommended; the presentation would be delightful, and she could choose a favorite. Maybe Shalimar, Hypnotic Poison, Pink Sugar, Prada Candy, and one more just because five seems like a nice number. Just do your ebay search with the word 'mini' after the scent name. I did a little scouting for you and this could be accomplished for under $100. fwiw, I'm a pretty experienced ebay perfume buyer and have had good results.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I'm surprised no one mentioned Flowerbomb, which I always considered the Acqua di Gio (in that it is ubiquitously popular) of the vanilla world.

I also agree with Hypnotic Poison, it has a little more going on than a straight vanilla scent, but is very lovely.

Okay, found a few more samples based on your recommendations and ordered four more:
    - Cinema
    - Bvlgari Black
    - Lolita Lempicka
    - Hypnotic Poison

I hear what you're all saying about Shalimar, but I'm a little curious about it myself, since a lot of guys on the men's side wear it. I tend to have a low threshold as to what I find too feminine for myself, so have a feeling it won't work for me, but even if my daughter doesn't like it, I'd like to smell it.

Thanks for all the help! Please keep the recommendations coming, I'm capturing all of them. Some more non-vanillas would be great too!

Other vanillas to try : Trouble by Boucheron, Love's true bluish light by Ava Luxe and Amour by Kenzo.

queen of the universe

Uvalde, of course you must sniff Shalimar! It is a cornerstone fragrance.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Shalimar is kind of intense for everyday wear. Some that are nice are original Prada, D&G- Light Blue, & Armani Code.

Last edited by socalwoman; 26th April 2014 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Shalimar is kind of intense for everyday wear. Some that are nice are original Prada, D&G- Light Blue, & Armani Code.
    Funny how it's different strokes - Shalimar is my default, everyday wear fragrance. It's like the smell equivalent of my best-fitting jeans and smart shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by katesonskates View Post
    For easy-to-read vanilla, I like Vanille Incensee. Bonus for accessibility- a travel spray is available through Sephora for about $25-$30
    +1 That's what I would go with. Creamy vanilla, very good stuff.

Your short lists are on the right track- well done Dad! Im sure she'll love the Pink Sugar and Prada Candy, they are always a hit with the younger vanilla-lovers.

Im also gonna to echo the Lolita Lempicka suggestions. L de Lolita and the original Lolita Lempicka. Gorgeous bottles, good price point and decent scents. Will give her a variation to wearing vanilla without traveling too far from her comfort zone.

Some of the suggestions on that recommendation list from Surrender to Chance are appalling.
    Last edited by L'eaulita; 27th April 2014 at 07:28 AM.

My belated suggestions: perhaps two inexpensive suggestions by Yves Rocher.

Vanille Bio EDT and Vanille Noire EDP- moderately sweet gourmand vanilla with an unexpected but balanced spicy diversity of notes in addition to the vanilla dominant, good quality for the price, also age appropriate but still versatile enough to be worn by any age group.

You've already ordered some I would have suggested. I agree with recs for Brit, or Brit Sheer.
    Also:
    JC Viva la Juicy
    D & G Light Blue
    Fruity, sweet (some gourmand notes, but not really vanilla) - NR Nina.
    Fruity floral - Bright Crystal

2nd to the Outremer Vanille. It is great, sweet vanilla, in a beautiful bottle.

2nd also the CSP Vanille Abricot suggestion - super sweet and a bit different (so all her classmates are not wearing it!).

Thanks! I'm planning to order a third (and probably last, for a while) flight of samples in a few days, after she's tried the 8 I ordered already, so I can get a feel for what she likes. I have a feeling she's at least somewhat compliment-driven, so she may need to take them out for test drives

I would say (like others here) Shalimar Parfum Initial. The original Shalimar has been called the best Vanilla perfume in the world. With Shalimar Parfum Initial not only is it a modern interpretation but it's target is a younger audience (the perfumer behind this one actually created it for his 17-year old niece). So I think it's definitely worth a try. Plus the bottle looks quite girly (perfect for a teenager?).

1_2_guerlain-shalimar-parfum-initial.jpg

You might want to sample Avignon before you buy it, I honestly don't think it's a good scent for a high school girl and IMHO her classmates will not like it at all (if that matters) it's a very church type incense, like a shaman ritual type. When it comes to perfumes I have the taste of a high school/college girl and I think regular Sharlimar is too mature for her. Agree with the Pink Sugar recommendation, it smells like cotton candy vanilla caramel, everyone seems to go crazy over it when I wear it, crowd pleaser for sure. But she might not want to smell like other girls in her school and a lot of girls wear PS. Acqua e Zucchero is the upscale version of it as others mentioned.

Other youthful vanillas I'm pretty sure she would like:

La Maison Vanille Divine des Tropiques
    Diptyque Duelle
    Meow Katy Perry
    Vanilla Passionfruit from Lavanilla
    Pacifica Island Vanilla. Their Guava and Blood Orange are nice too.
    Lancôme La Vie Est Belle
    Vanille Abricot by Sud Pacifique
    Britney Spears Fantasy Nice remix
    Angel Innocent
    Katy Perry Killer Queen. Less sweet version of Sugarbomb, I mean Flowerbomb lol

Nice fresh fruity florals:

Daisy Marc Jacobs
    Dolce Gabbana #3 L' Imperatrice
    Versace Bright Crystal
    Villain Ed Hardy
    Coach Poppy (purple juice)
    Ralph Lauren Big Pony #2
    Acqua di Gioia Eau Fraiche (someone here recommended this one to me and I really like it)
    Escada Born in Paradise
    Chanel Eau Tendre
    Last edited by Lexxxy; 7th May 2014 at 05:58 PM.

Basenotes Plus

A few vanilla scents that would be great for high school age:

Aquolina Pink Sugar
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot
    Thierry Mugler Angel or Innocent
    Prada Candy or Candy L'eau
    Pacifica Island Vanilla
    Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire
    Love & Toast Honey Coconut
    Tokyo Milk Let Them Eat Cake
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 6th May 2014 at 01:25 PM.

Hi all, thanks for all the help. I am always a little annoyed when someone asks for help, the group puts in a lot of effort, and the person never tells what happened, so I'm back to give you an update I went through about the first 8 most-mentioned selections that I thought might be a nice match, but my daughter disliked them all. The consistent comment was along the lines of "It's nice, but there's some vanilla in with a lot of other things, I like mostly vanilla". Or, in other words, she's not ready for a more balanced or complex composition (you might not think of Candy or Pink Sugar as particularly balanced and complex, but for our purposes, they are ), she wants a bit more of a vanilla blast, fine to have undernotes of other things, but a clear dominant vanilla accord. So, if you have any suggestions along those lines, I'm all ears.

On the upside, I love a number of the perfumes you all suggested, I'll be saving the samples for her to try in years to come.

Basenotes Plus

Indult Tihota is the best single-note vanilla I know, but a bit expensive for a high school girl.

Oh, I love updates! I personally like Santa Maria Novella Vaniglia and Eau Duelle EDP for vanilla, they both feel like simple vanillas but have an understated musk to keep it from cupcake land. I also tried The Body Shop's Vanilla recently and it was nice! Not the Madagascan Vanilla Flower (which smells like candy) but the Vanilla EDT from their bath line.

As mentioned, Tihota would be perfect, but it is very pricey. If it didn't make the Top 8 cut, do try the Outremer. It is an outstanding value. It sounds like she'd may also enjoy I Profumi di Firenze Vaniglia del Madagascar or Ligne St. Barth Vanille.
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Sophie Chabaud does three that are nearly pure vanilla. One milky, one biscuity and one caramelly. Just perfect for her.

How about Patricia de Nicolai Vanile intense, Lostmarch Lann ael - not pure vanilla, but veeery vanilla-y and sweet and just a great fragrance, do try it please, and Calypso st barts Lea.

Blog Entries

How about Montale's Vanille Absolue?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    Hi all, thanks for all the help. I am always a little annoyed when someone asks for help, the group puts in a lot of effort, and the person never tells what happened, so I'm back to give you an update I went through about the first 8 most-mentioned selections that I thought might be a nice match, but my daughter disliked them all. The consistent comment was along the lines of "It's nice, but there's some vanilla in with a lot of other things, I like mostly vanilla". Or, in other words, she's not ready for a more balanced or complex composition (you might not think of Candy or Pink Sugar as particularly balanced and complex, but for our purposes, they are ), she wants a bit more of a vanilla blast, fine to have undernotes of other things, but a clear dominant vanilla accord. So, if you have any suggestions along those lines, I'm all ears.

On the upside, I love a number of the perfumes you all suggested, I'll be saving the samples for her to try in years to come.
    Try Outremer Vanille! I think they might be called L'Aromarine now, but this is what the bottle looks like.

nd.16338.jpg

Good info here! I've been looking for a vanilla reference scent myself, and given the low cost, I'm going to be forced to get a bottle of Outremer Vanille or Molinard Vanille Marine... oh, the paralyzing indecision!

I would go with more accessible and cheap options that are mostly vanilla sugar aka vanillin scents. Out of the top of my head Yves Rocher Vanilla bourbon, the Body Shop Vanilla, any of the Demeter fragrances with Vanilla in the name like Vanilla Ice cream, even Sephora has their own Vanilla. Maybe worth to even look at Target or Cosco, I bet every supermarket chain has a cheap vanilla fragrance The cheaper the better in this case

P.s. sorry I just saw that she already buys the cheap grocery store stuff so skip those...
    Last edited by Irina; 5th July 2014 at 05:43 PM.
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & network on all things smelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations