Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Going to a punk rock show and could use some help on picking out a scent!

Alright guys, going to the Pennywise show on sat. and could use some help! Last time I went to a punk show about 14months ago, it was a easy selection and wore old school Fahrenheit style! However, I no longer have this in my collection.....sifting through my 100 or so scents, I'm struggling to come up with a few good choices. But here's the 3 I think might fit best?:

John Varvatos original (was my 1st thought)
    Perry Ellis 360 Black (similar to Varvatos, but awesome smokey tea thing going on with the fruit and leather)
    Bleu de Chanel (the incense really comes out on my skin, plus I'll be with two lovely ladies<g>)

As always, your guys input is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Going to a punk rock show and could use some help on picking out a scent!

Of the three in your list, my pick for you would be Bleu de Chanel.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Going to a punk rock show and could use some help on picking out a scent!

I'd go with Varvatos as its nice and subtle. Have fun!

Whooooaaaaa oh oh oh, Whoooooaaaa-oh oh oh oh.

If you want it to be a legit punk rock experience, you need to refrain from bathing and brushing (or anything good hygiene habits) until Saturday and then let nature take its course. That's about as close to true punk rock olfactory nihilism as I could come up with.

If you want to be a pop-punker, any of the ones you listed would work.

Lol, just kidding. Bleu de Chanel.

Out of your collection I would go with Terre d'Hermes, of the ones that you've got listed I'd go with Bleu de Chanel.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Quote Originally Posted by byandthrough View Post
    If you want it to be a legit punk rock experience, you need to refrain from bathing and brushing (or anything good hygiene habits) until Saturday and then let nature take its course. That's about as close to true punk rock olfactory nihilism as I could come up with.

If you want to be a pop-punker, any of the ones you listed would work.

Lol, just kidding. Bleu de Chanel.
    Lmao! There is a ton of truth to that no doubt! And in my youth I surely would have been at the skate park all day sweating my b@lls off and then go home, throw a cap on and head to the show and mix it up in the pit all night without a second thought. Now I'm just a old bastard who is sore and tired all the time, but stills like to go to shows....only now I just stay in the beer garden the entire time and smell good.

Norne.

Basenotes Plus

Funny, I am going to see Black Flag soon (first show was 1981) and have been thinking about what to wear. I was thinking of something dark and brooding, but with not great projection. Of your three, Varvatos. Somehow, I was thinking about GPH 1- it really stays close to the skin on me but the intense and woods feel like they would work well in that context.

Two lovely ladies? BdC is a known compliment getter! Easy choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some Vetiver scents smell like marajuana, fitting for the occasion right?

Bleu
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

From what you listed, I'd probably rock the Bleu. Bones Brigade!

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    Funny, I am going to see Black Flag soon (first show was 1981) and have been thinking about what to wear. I was thinking of something dark and brooding, but with not great projection. Of your three, Varvatos. Somehow, I was thinking about GPH 1- it really stays close to the skin on me but the intense and woods feel like they would work well in that context.
    No way, Black Flag is touring?! Man, they rank right up there at the top of bands I'd love to see live! Hmmm...wonder what the line up will be for them? Still kicking myself for missing the only North American Descendents show with all the original members(Milo included)that was in Portland about 5yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Two lovely ladies? BdC is a known compliment getter! Easy choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Exactly! That's why I thought about putting this one in the rotation also

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
    Some Vetiver scents smell like marajuana, fitting for the occasion right?
    Lol, ya probably....although not near as much as other shows I've attended. Too bad I don't own Kinski huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    From what you listed, I'd probably rock the Bleu. Bones Brigade!
    Thanks Shiny Beast....and mad respect for the Bones Brigade shoutout!!!

From your list, I would probably say BdC. But it seems like Black Afgano would be well suited for that venue - strong, different, dark.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Either Varvatos or Bleu in my opinion.

I would go with John Varvatos.

Punk Rock lasted from 1976 to 1978 and was British. You are going to a concert where they may play punk rock type music.

You should have worn a fragrance by Vivienne Westwood

JV from those 3 though. Have a pogo on me!

I would also choose the Varvatos from those three, but my real choice would be Czech & Speake's No. 88!!

Varvatos!

Im surprised pennywise is still around. I was listening to them in middle school and im 29.

Of all the Pennywise, Unwritten Law, Vandals, Circle Jerks, DI, Social D shows, etc.. I have been to, I don't ever think I wore a fragrance. It's most likely cause all the beer I consumed was spilled on me at one point and "Parfume de' Newcastle Brown Ale" seemed fitting. =) Have fun. PW is a blast live and leaves you wanting more.

How about this concoction from Etat Libre d’Orange?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Punk Rock lasted from 1976 to 1978 and was British. You are going to a concert where they may play punk rock type music.

You should have worn a fragrance by Vivienne Westwood

JV from those 3 though. Have a pogo on me!
    Many scholars of punk have actually argued that this when punk was merely a media creation. It was not until after that, mostly in Los Angeles and New York, that it developed into a true social phenomenon. Of course, when you make a definitive statement like the one above, you will not agree.

I would agree with you punk has been long since dead, perhaps from the mid 80s.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BarRoomHeroes View Post
    Of all the Pennywise, Unwritten Law, Vandals, Circle Jerks, DI, Social D shows, etc.. I have been to, I don't ever think I wore a fragrance. It's most likely cause all the beer I consumed was spilled on me at one point and "Parfume de' Newcastle Brown Ale" seemed fitting. =) Have fun. PW is a blast live and leaves you wanting more.
    Actually, back in the early 80s, I wore Kouros and Polo green to "gigs." Vanals, Circle Jerks and Social D- good memories. My all time favorite places; the Vex in East LA, the Cathey De Grand, an the Whisky....good times..

Many scholars of punk have actually argued that this when punk was merely a media creation. It was not until after that, mostly in Los Angeles and New York, that it developed into a true social phenomenon. Of course, when you make a definitive statement like the one above, you will not agree.

I would agree with you punk has been long since dead, perhaps from the mid 80s.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing, I knew the term "punk" was a media creation....but was also thinking The Ramones were around a bit earlier than the likes of the British punk bands(The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Damned ect.) And I know many consider Velvet Underground, MC5 and The Stooges to be the start of "punk" rock. But I'm more of a 80's hardcore guy anyway so what do I know?!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy310 View Post
    Varvatos!

Im surprised pennywise is still around. I was listening to them in middle school and im 29.
    Yep, still going strong after 25yrs...all original members too!

Quote Originally Posted by BarRoomHeroes View Post
    Yep, I'm right there with ya...and yes they are a blast live. Sound great and usually perform some great covers too, always a great show!

Quote Originally Posted by BottleJunky View Post

LOL! I saw this a few years back and it peaked my curiosity in wondering what it smelt like?!(hopefully nothing like Johnny Rotten )

Well Bleu jumped out to a massive early lead, but Varvatos is making a strong comeback and only down by 2 votes now. Thanks again to all who are chiming in!

Something that smells like your lacquered Mohawk is on fire.
    Fumidus
    Jeke EdP
    Lonestar Memories

Perfect!

From the list, I would go with Varvatos, but my instincts would recommend Montale Patchouli Leaves or HdP Noir Patchouli.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I was kind of thinking the same thing, I knew the term "punk" was a media creation....but was also thinking The Ramones were around a bit earlier than the likes of the British punk bands(The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Damned ect.) And I know many consider Velvet Underground, MC5 and The Stooges to be the start of "punk" rock. But I'm more of a 80's hardcore guy anyway so what do I know?!
    Well, "your not a loser" so just chill out with a "six pack" watch a "t v party" and hopefully you will have some fun "tonight (I just want to be with you......)....

I was actually thinking of the stooges- now come on, if that is not punk rock on every level, please....

Basenotes Plus

Well Bleu jumped out to a massive early lead, but Varvatos is making a strong comeback and only down by 2 votes now. Thanks again to all who are chiming in!
    So, here is a question, one punk enthusiast to another. Should you not wear something independent, iconoclastic, and just a bit off and not a mainstream designer?

Kerosene Whips and roses perhaps, something by Slumberhouse, or something else indy and funky..

None , you should smell of sweat and anarchy .......

Well, "your not a loser" so just chill out with a six pack and watch a "t v party" and hopefully you will have some fun "tonight (I just want to be with you......)....

I was actually thinking of the stooges- now come on, if that is not punk rock on every level, please....
    Two of my all time fav songs! Once at a Guttermouth show Mark asked what cover they should play, I shouted Six Pack and he said "I think we know that one!" So they start playing the starting base line and he handed me the mic and I got to sing it...truly one of my favorite memories! And true, if Iggy isn't punk than I don't know who is.

So, here is a question, one punk enthusiast to another. Should you not wear something independent, iconoclastic, and just a bit off and not a mainstream designer?

Kerosene Whips and roses perhaps, something by Slumberhouse, or something else indy and funky..
    I totally agree, but I've got nothing like that in my wardrobe....actually I do have a couple weird skanky samples, I suppose I could rock one of those?! Lol

Beer and 20 sprays of whatever tester they have in a shop near you?

LOL! I saw this a few years back and it peaked my curiosity in wondering what it smelt like?!(hopefully nothing like Johnny Rotten )
    Smells very mainstream and girlie. Fruity.

Great idea, but surely a real punk would go with Sécrétions Magnifiques...

the_metro_newspaper_london_uk.jpg

(Actually, I guess a *real* punk would make their own version of it)
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    Great idea, but surely a real punk would go with Sécrétions Magnifiques...

the_metro_newspaper_london_uk.jpg

(Actually, I guess a *real* punk would make their own version of it)
    Hahaha, ewwww. But I think you've got the right ELDO for a punker. That, or Charogne.

L'ombre dans l'eau by Diptyque - Billy Idol's signature
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

The term "Punk" is, like music, a living, evolving thing. Those of us who are no longer spring chickens should beware of thinking that just because we might have been there at the inception, we own the terminology. Things change, and the terminology does too. That it is still in use at all we should take as a compliment and not display the arrogance of dogmatism.