Code of Conduct

Default Need help- New to the world of perfumes

I need recommendations to buy a budget perfume ($10 to $15) I have grown up in a family where most people have very sensitive noses and perfumes give them a headache. Needless to say, I know nothing about perfumes. I have come to college recently and can afford to try perfumes. I want suggestions for a budget perfume. I like floral scents, but hate anything fruity (Especially oranges- I'm totally allergic to the smell). Fruity, sticky smells give me a headache. I love the smell of jasmine and the rain. I hate it when people pass by and I can still smell their perfume after 10 minutes. Please give me suggestions for some really really mild scent that I can use everyday, that is surely not strong (I have that headache gene somewhere!), that is floral and smells like jasmine and the rain, and that is feminine. Lot to ask for but pls help me!

I live in the USA.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help- New to the world of perfumes

Finding a scent within your budget that fits your criteria is going to be a tough call, unless you are willing to buy small decants, but do sample first.

The cheapest jasmine l can think of is Lust by Lush, but l find it very strong. Perhaps the solid stick version might suit you better.

For a "garden after the rain" scent, l highly recommend Un Matin d'Orage by Annick Goutal.

For a lighter jasmine, try Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmin White Moss, By Kilian Love & Tears, or Guerlain Acqua Allegoria Jasminora.

Welcome to basenotes, & do report back on what you find!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hi and welcome, Preeti!
    I recommend you try the Demeter line. They are in your price range and have a huge (overwhelming) selection to choose from. They are affordable and usually light and refreshing.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Blog Entries

Good call, furrypine! Demeter do have a scent called Rain, & l think one called Wet Garden. They surely have a jasmine scent as well. l haven't tried any of them, but l'm sure these would be great for layering to get the desired effect.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Nautica Voyage and Michael Jordan Legend are two good ones. Welcome to basenotes.

Thanks a lot! I have decided to try small sizes so that I can find something that suits me.

Another question- Does eau de cologne have a citrus scent in it?

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Finding a scent within your budget that fits your criteria is going to be a tough call, unless you are willing to buy small decants, but do sample first.

The cheapest jasmine l can think of is Lust by Lush, but l find it very strong. Perhaps the solid stick version might suit you better.

For a "garden after the rain" scent, l highly recommend Un Matin d'Orage by Annick Goutal.

For a lighter jasmine, try Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmin White Moss, By Kilian Love & Tears, or Guerlain Acqua Allegoria Jasminora.

Welcome to basenotes, & do report back on what you find!

Thank you for your response. I have placed an order for Demeter's Wet Garden, and will report back what I find!

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Hi and welcome, Preeti!
    I recommend you try the Demeter line. They are in your price range and have a huge (overwhelming) selection to choose from. They are affordable and usually light and refreshing.

Thank you so much for your help! Is it ok for women to use scents designed for men? It may sound like a dumb question but I know nothing about fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Nautica Voyage and Michael Jordan Legend are two good ones. Welcome to basenotes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
    Thanks a lot! I have decided to try small sizes so that I can find something that suits me.

Another question- Does eau de cologne have a citrus scent in it?
    You're welcome! Classic Eau de Colognes usually have a citrus note, but not every cologne-strength perfume will have it - sometimes it's just a lighter, sheerer version of the EDT, EDP or parfum.

Thank you so much for your help! Is it ok for women to use scents designed for men? It may sound like a dumb question but I know nothing about fragrances.
    Many women here wear perfumes marketed to men, & vice-versa. As long as it works for you & you love it, then wear what you like.

ln this case however, l'm not sure the poster read your opening post; l think he may have been recommending "starter fragrances", without referring to your criteria for what you're looking for. Voyage is a marine-type aquatic, & Legend is a gourmand (foody) scent. Neither of these smell of jasmine or rain.

Budget-wise, Lush is a good choice, they do good perfumes that don't cost much. Lust is indeed a great jasmine, but it is very strong and somewhat sweet, so I don't know if it will hit. but you can also try Dirty body spray, fresh and minty, no sweetness, and very cheap.

You can also check places like TJmaxx or Marshalls, sometimes they have good deals.One that I've seen often there and cheap is Tea Rose by Perfumers workshop. A realistic rose. Strong, though, so you have to apply very lightly.

cacio

Is it ok for women to use scents designed for men? It may sound like a dumb question but I know nothing about fragrances.
    If you like the way it smells, don't really see why you couldn't.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks a lot! My mom can only stand the smell of Eau de cologne but since it has a citrus note, I won't get it. I was on the verge of ordering 4711 because I love classics, but then its quite expensive and if it has a hint of orange, it will make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    You're welcome! Classic Eau de Colognes usually have a citrus note, but not every cologne-strength perfume will have it - sometimes it's just a lighter, sheerer version of the EDT, EDP or parfum.

Many women here wear perfumes marketed to men, & vice-versa. As long as it works for you & you love it, then wear what you like.

ln this case however, l'm not sure the poster read your opening post; l think he may have been recommending "starter fragrances", without referring to your criteria for what you're looking for. Voyage is a marine-type aquatic, & Legend is a gourmand (foody) scent. Neither of these smell of jasmine or rain.

Thank you. i just checked it out. I'm tempted to buy Dirty. I am visiting Marshall's soon and will browse before settling on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Budget-wise, Lush is a good choice, they do good perfumes that don't cost much. Lust is indeed a great jasmine, but it is very strong and somewhat sweet, so I don't know if it will hit. but you can also try Dirty body spray, fresh and minty, no sweetness, and very cheap.

You can also check places like TJmaxx or Marshalls, sometimes they have good deals.One that I've seen often there and cheap is Tea Rose by Perfumers workshop. A realistic rose. Strong, though, so you have to apply very lightly.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If you like the way it smells, don't really see why you couldn't.
    Sure thank you :-) :-)

I support the Lush recommendation. Really good fragrances and very inexpensive. Get in there and smell a few of them. But caution: the ones in the clear, square-shaped bottles (Furze, Devil's Nightcap, Sikkim Girls, etc.) must be tested on skin - they smell pretty strange right from the bottle but they bloom beautifully on skin. Paper strips work too, but it takes hours for them to develop. Sikkim Girls is really pretty - a tropical floral.

For budget perfumes, I also always think of Rochas Tocade, which is a lovely vanilla rose. You might be able to find it for less than $20 online.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I support the Lush recommendation. Really good fragrances and very inexpensive. Get in there and smell a few of them. But caution: the ones in the clear, square-shaped bottles (Furze, Devil's Nightcap, Sikkim Girls, etc.) must be tested on skin - they smell pretty strange right from the bottle but they bloom beautifully on skin. Paper strips work too, but it takes hours for them to develop. Sikkim Girls is really pretty - a tropical floral.

For budget perfumes, I also always think of Rochas Tocade, which is a lovely vanilla rose. You might be able to find it for less than $20 online.
    Thank you so much! I will check out your recommendations