Code of Conduct

Default Please help me find this special hidden ingredient

Hi all,

I really need some help finding a particular ingredient that I seem to be missing.

I've been producing DIY cologne for a few years now but I just can't ever seem to get that commercial/designer smell I've been trying to replicate. While I can produce a fragrance that is not bad smelling, it doesn't come anywhere close to being as nice as some of the fragrances I would buy e.g. the eau de toilette colognes from the likes of Armani, Hugo Boss & A&F etc.

They all seem to have this certain ingredient that I am missing and I'm finding it very difficult to put my finger on what it is exactly.

I'm going to do my best to describe this missing ingredient:

• As I bring my nose towards the bottle, I can smell it first and foremost, before anything else.
    • It's unlike any natural smelling substance I've ever known.
    • Very synthetic and a bit ashy/spicy/woody possibly (but this could be other ingredients giving it an accent).
    • It's sort of a cold smell. It tricks me to believe that the bottle, or spray-top at least, is ice cold and that cool air surrounds it.
    • I feel that it's the top part of the inside of my nose that receives the scent best.
    • It appears to be the exact same scent/ingredient for all men's designer colognes. It's a strong dose that doesn't appear to be used sparingly by any of the brands.

My best way to sum up this popular commercial ingredient would be: 'A strong synthetic coldness'.

Does anyone know what this is?

P.S. My fragrances typically comprise of around 3-5 EOs', ISO E Super & perfumers alcohol.
    I buy all from Perfumers Apprentice.
    Last edited by Sprayer; 26th April 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Default Re: Please help me find this special hidden ingredient

I have no idea what this "magic" ingredient is; however I do know that most (if not all) commercial fragrances will comprise of very many more components than your attempts do. The average number of ingredients in a fragrance will be in the 30s, if not more. There are exceptions of course, but generally you would expect to find that number. These ingredients will be a mixture of Essential Oils , bases and individual synthetics. Thus, each fragrance will be made of many hundreds of individual chemicals. It may be, that this special something you are trying to find is composed of complexity of ingredients together with experience of the Perfumer who created it.

It is rarely true that there is a magic something that fixes the problem.

Musk. Are you using some kinds of musks? Maybe not magic ingredient, but most commercial perfumes have many.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramute View Post
    Musk. Are you using some kinds of musks? Maybe not magic ingredient, but most commercial perfumes have many.
    Which musk would you recommend?

I have White Musk but I found that it gave a kind of feminine feel to the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I have no idea what this "magic" ingredient is; however I do know that most (if not all) commercial fragrances will comprise of very many more components than your attempts do. The average number of ingredients in a fragrance will be in the 30s, if not more. There are exceptions of course, but generally you would expect to find that number. These ingredients will be a mixture of Essential Oils , bases and individual synthetics. Thus, each fragrance will be made of many hundreds of individual chemicals. It may be, that this special something you are trying to find is composed of complexity of ingredients together with experience of the Perfumer who created it.

It is rarely true that there is a magic something that fixes the problem.
    Do you know how I could obtain a full ingredient list of one of the popular brands so that I could learn from it?

That isn't going to happen, is it?

You could read this 'though.
    https://sites.google.com/site/perfumerecipes/
    Last edited by lpp; 26th April 2014 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    That isn't going to happen, is it?

You could read this 'though.
    https://sites.google.com/site/perfumerecipes/
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayer View Post
    Which musk would you recommend?

I have White Musk but I found that it gave a kind of feminine feel to the fragrance.
    ďWhite MuskĒ is a widely used and mis-used term but I think in this case what youíre talking about is a fragrance in its own right, rather than an individual ingredient. Have a look at my blog post on musks for some ideas of which musks to try for what purpose.

The other thought that struck me reading your description is that youíre probably detecting something like Ambroxan / Ambrofix, Cedramber, Vertofix, Bornafix, Fixateur 505 or any of a number of other ambergris substitutes that are widely used in modern perfumery (usually in combination).

Hope that helps.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Do you know how I could obtain a full ingredient list of one of the popular brands so that I could learn from it?
    I think the nearest equivalent you might get to that would be the formula IFRA produced and published as part of itís lobbying campaign, which has the added advantage of explanations for the ingredients used in language everyone can understand. Again Iíve provided details on my blog of how to get hold of a full copy of the formula and explanatory article.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

I can't reccomend; because you, maybe, can't feel some kinds of musks. "White musk": isn't clear that is in it. It is more often bright, light (and female) a description of musks blend, and not any particular vegetable, animal or synthetic musk. Read here: http://pellwall-perfumes.blogspot.com/2012/08/musk.html and
    http://pellwall-perfumes.blogspot.co...cation-of.html

Oh, Chris, we think identical. Only my english are slow and terrible.
    Last edited by Ramute; 26th April 2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    ďWhite MuskĒ is a widely used and mis-used term but I think in this case what youíre talking about is a fragrance in its own right, rather than an individual ingredient. Have a look at my blog post on musks for some ideas of which musks to try for what purpose.

The other thought that struck me reading your description is that youíre probably detecting something like Ambroxan / Ambrofix, Cedramber, Vertofix, Bornafix, Fixateur 505 or any of a number of other ambergris substitutes that are widely used in modern perfumery (usually in combination).

Hope that helps.
    What a great blog post you have! Very helpful.

I just ordered some of those musks and most of the ambergris substitutes you mentioned so that I can try them out. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramute View Post
    I can't reccomend; because you, maybe, can't feel some kinds of musks. "White musk": isn't clear that is in it. It is more often bright, light (and female) a description of musks blend, and not any particular vegetable, animal or synthetic musk. Read here: http://pellwall-perfumes.blogspot.com/2012/08/musk.html and
    http://pellwall-perfumes.blogspot.co...cation-of.html

Oh, Chris, we think identical. Only my english are slow and terrible.
    Ha! amazing - the same two links as well - thank you!
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Hi all,

I really need some help finding a particular ingredient that I seem to be missing.

• It appears to be the exact same scent/ingredient for all men's designer colognes. It's a strong dose that doesn't appear to be used sparingly by any of the brands.

My best way to sum up this popular commercial ingredient would be: 'A strong synthetic coldness'.
    I would start with Dihydro Myrcenol, it is very popular and often overdosed with Men's scents.

Pay $100 and get Perfumers Apprentice to GC analyze it.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Maybe if you would give a few specific examples of perfumes, someone will be able to guess the common denominator.. Any idea how long that note lasts on paper/skin? Could really help distinguish between musks and those fresh volatile aromachemicals..

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Maybe if you would give a few specific examples of perfumes, someone will be able to guess the common denominator.. Any idea how long that note lasts on paper/skin? Could really help distinguish between musks and those fresh volatile aromachemicals..
    Well, I really like the fragrance 'Fierce' by Abercrombie & Fitch (even though it gets quite a bad rap here lol).
    I'd love to be able to create something like this. Even something one tenth as nice would be great for me.

His first descriptor says"
    • As I bring my nose towards the bottle, I can smell it first and foremost, before anything else.

This is highly unlikely to be a musk. More like a fresh Volatile.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Volatile hmm - What are the types of benzene commonly used and what do they smell like? (/effect the blend)
    I've never used benzene.

Paul - that's what I was suggesting
    Sprayer - the more perfumes you mention with that note you like, the larger the chance someone will guess it.. Mentioning one perfume probably leaves too may options (but maybe not.. never smelled it).

Volatile hmm - What are the types of benzene commonly used and what do they smell like? (/effect the blend)
    I've never used benzene.
    Oh you really should, benzine is amazing.

Paul - that's what I was suggesting
    Sprayer - the more perfumes you mention with that note you like, the larger the chance someone will guess it.. Mentioning one perfume probably leaves too may options (but maybe not.. never smelled it).
    OK, I can smell this same thing in all of these:

Code by Giorgio Armani
    One Million by Paco Rabanne
    Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch
    Only The Brave by Diesel
    Hugo Just Different by Hugo Boss
    Break Line by Hollister Co

Oh you really should, benzine is amazing.
    OK David. I'm also in North London. Where would you recommend I buy from and which type?

And is it benzine or benzene?
    Last edited by Sprayer; 27th April 2014 at 06:52 PM.

OK David. I'm also in North London. Where would you recommend I buy from and which type?

Only if you like the smell of diesel (the petroleum product, not the fragrance)

Just to be on the safe side, it might be a good idea to include a good whopping dose of Patchouli to round out the Benzine note.

Edit to add: I feel cruel having just posted that...Sprayer, David was only joking, as was I.

Cashmeran came to mind.
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

Noam Chomsky

Oh God; I was joking!!!!! Benzene is banned. It is an extremely unpleasant chemical. As I was told when at University, if you can smell Benzene (and forgive my spelling error) you are inhaling it in dangerous amounts.

Interesting that you can reply to a joke but made no comment when I posted the first time. I still maintain that there is never a magic fix. No single ingredient will solve your problem, and that to compare a mix of a few Essential Oils with commercial fragrances is daft.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 28th April 2014 at 09:31 AM.

We were even warned about it at school

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    We were even warned about it at school
    It's funny; one of the last Chemistry experiments I did at school was to do with the reduction of freezing point of solutions (e.g. adding salt to water reduces water's freezing point to below 0deg C) and involved using Benzoic Acid and Benzene. The first thing I had to do when I arrived at University was attend a lecture on Safety in the Laboratory , where we were warned about the dangers of Benzene.

Not sure he's looking for a magic fix.. Sounds like he's sounding for some common note between those perfumes.. But since I'm not familiar with any of the ones he mentioned, nor with enough chemicals, I can't offer any real help.

I think I've made the starting point clear.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Nizan is correct. I'm quite aware that their wont be a magic ingredient that will bring my fragrance up to full commercial high-street level.

I'm looking for a certain something that I believe to be missing from my formula, a particular common something that I recognise in many male fragrances.

Was just trying to get some help from people with more knowledge and years of experience than myself but I guess mocking can be more fun for some. I haven't started University yet so my technical knowledge is basic. How else is a young noob suppose to learn if he doesn't ask the 'silly' questions first?

Anyway, I've ordered a few different types of Musk, some Dihydro Myrcenol and some different types of Synthetic Ambergris and I'm very much looking forward to trying these out so thank you to all those that tried to help out.
    Last edited by Sprayer; 29th April 2014 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I would start with Dihydro Myrcenol, it is very popular and often overdosed with Men's scents.

Pay $100 and get Perfumers Apprentice to GC analyze it.

PK
    What Paul said. Dihydro myrcenol popped into my head immediately. Good call.
    Zanshin

Sprayer, we were having a bit of silly fun about Benzene/Benzine, but were not mocking you personally. You and most of those here in the DIY forum know more about the aroma chemicals used in modern perfumery than I do.
    Last edited by islearom; 29th April 2014 at 04:19 AM.

Nizan is correct. I'm quite aware that their wont be a magic ingredient that will bring my fragrance up to full commercial high-street level.

I'm looking for a certain something that I believe to be missing from my formula, a particular common something that I recognise in many male fragrances.

Was just trying to get some help from people with more knowledge and years of experience than myself but I guess mocking can be more fun for some. I haven't started University yet so my technical knowledge is basic. How else is a young noob suppose to learn if he doesn't ask the 'silly' questions first?

Anyway, I've ordered a few different types of Musk, some Dihydromyrcenol and some different types of synthetic Ambergris and I'm very much looking forward to trying these out so thank you to all those that tried to help out.
    I think your best bet is to make yourself aware of the different categories or qualities of scent in men's perfumes, and the more useful aroma substances in each category.

To me what makes a perfume mostly is about having a combination of qualities working together in the spaces each other quality leaves open. As long as you have something in the different areas of quality you are interested in, qualities that perfumes have, you are on your way.

Well, I really like the fragrance 'Fierce' by Abercrombie & Fitch (even though it gets quite a bad rap here lol).
    I'd love to be able to create something like this. Even something one tenth as nice would be great for me.
    Interesting examples. Re-reading your first description I can see why Paul concluded it would have to be DHM or something like it. However I do know something of Fierce (you can smell it all the way down Saville Row ever since A&F moved in at one end) and I donít think it contains any significant amount of DHM: on the contrary Iíd say it was dominated by top-note musks and ambergris synths: but that could be because Iíve never actually smelt any direct from the bottle, only from near the store that they saturate with the stuff, so I may only be getting the base notes.

There is an easy test you can do though if you have access to any Drakkar Noir: itís mostly diyhydromyrcenol, so if that has the note you are talking about, thatís it. If it does not, then probably not. Certainly Paul is right than DHM is a very widely used material in mens fragrances ever since Drakkar Noir was a success and made it popular. Itís also quite cheap and so often used generously in the formula.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Sorry to be picky, but isn't it Cool Water that has lots of DHM? The accord of DHM, AAG, Precyclemone B and Ambroxan became the must have for all men's fragrances after Cool Water became so popular.

Sorry to be picky, but isn't it Cool Water that has lots of DHM? The accord of DHM, AAG, Precyclemone B and Ambroxan became the must have for all men's fragrances after Cool Water became so popular.
    Yep, thatís all correct. Drakkar Noir came first though - as I understand it DHM had really only been used in functional fragrance before then - but youíre right that Cool Water was the one that made it so popular that mens fragrances are still nearly always loaded with it today.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

What does AAG stand for?

What does AAG stand for?
    Allyl Amyl Glycolate - somewhere between a galbanum and a dry pineapple note - very powerful and honestly not very nice smelling on its own but widely used to add depth to masculine (and other) fragrances.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

I think it might also be an aldehyic chemical, and perhaps Hivernal Neo! (which I'd love to get my hands on) you must start combining small combos of EOs & aldehydes to practice achieving a certain fragrance aspect. Really incorporate a bit of Benzyl Salicylate, it makes a fragrance bloom. Please refer to perfume articles in Perfumeshrine.com excellent references!!!

Ho, I've been planning on that for a while.. From my little experience so far, every chemical with galbanum in its descriptor is slightly obnoxious by itself.. Never incorporated anything like that in a blend, though..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Yep, that’s all correct. Drakkar Noir came first though - as I understand it DHM had really only been used in functional fragrance before then - but you’re right that Cool Water was the one that made it so popular that mens fragrances are still nearly always loaded with it today.
    Remember the OD element of Lagerfeld? I remember hating it. Was that DHM too?

Which Lagerfeld fragrance do you mean? The original masculine one did not have a DHM top as I recall. Loved that fragrance, I do know it contained a good amount of an Amber base called Ambre 83.

Which Lagerfeld fragrance do you mean? The original masculine one did not have a DHM top as I recall. Loved that fragrance, I do know it contained a good amount of an Amber base called Ambre 83.
    Going only on smell memory from smelling it in my early 20s, a memory of dubious reliability, but it seemed at the time a sickeningly sweet note, perhaps with a vaguely woody aspect, maybe a synthetic sweet and sour sandalwood aspect? Then there was a thick almost waxiness/fuzziness, or perhaps more precisely, a cheezy texture? A butyric note? A tumeric EO like note? A clay aspect? The color yellow is suggested, for what it's worth...

Maybe I'd smell it today and think it was brilliant. Who knows.

Next post will be no doubt from someone saying, "Man, Lagerfeld smells nothing like that".

Anyway, sorry to diverge.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 1st May 2014 at 08:26 AM.

That's a very nice post..

Spayer the backbone of almost all of the commercial fragrances is very similar and it is a blend of Iso E super, Hedione and Galaxolide (or any combination of Musks). This can be up to 80% of the fragrance concentrate!

Linalool and linalyl acetate are almost always present too as top floral notes.

In male fragrances calone in tiny amounts is nearly always present.

Vanillin and sweet ingredients like ethyl maltol became also popular in male fragrances after Angel and 1 million -that I find very tacky- has an overdose of vanillin.

Ambroxan gives this dryness in male fragrances but is found in small amounts as it is very strong.

Maybe u do not detect a particular magic ingredient but a combination of the above with the naturals.

Naturals are added in very tiny amounts in modern commercial fragrances.
    Usually more than 90% of the fragrance is made of synthetics and the rest is naturals.

If you want a sophisticated ingredient for male fragrance I'd recommend you Vertenex. It stands between woody and floral and it will bridge nicely your base with your top notes.

The structure I described above is the structure of very popular fragrances as CK Eternity or CK one.

Sounds as if you are describing the same one that I love. A very sweet, amber fragrance. I still have a bottle of it, and even now do not detect a butyric note.

New supplies arrived today! Thank you for everyones input. It's all been very helpful. (Even learned what Benzene is! lol)

I've got a bit of everything suggested and will post back with my results.

My first impression is that it will be a formula of: Dihydro Myrcenol, Musk & Synthetic Ambergris (along with my usual blend of EO's & Iso E Super).

Sprayer, I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by islearom View Post
    Sprayer, I wish you the best of luck with your project.
    Thank you!

After smelling directly from all the bottles of my latest order, I instantly recognised the very scent I was looking for.

Without any doubt, it's Ambroxan.
    (or something with a very, very similar scent). It's dry, sweat and has a sort of coldness to it. It's amazing.

I have it in Crystal form but have never worked with Crystals before so I'll be searching the forum for tips.
    I feel like it's Christmas!

After smelling directly from all the bottles of my latest order, I instantly recognised the very scent I was looking for.

Without any doubt, it's Ambroxan.
    (or something with a very, very similar scent). It's dry, sweat and has a sort of coldness to it. It's amazing.

I have it in Crystal form but have never worked with Crystals before so I'll be searching the forum for tips.
    I feel like it's Christmas!
    Just what I needed: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/375...stals-dilution

Mazaltof